Swamp 6 Link Dump Extravaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Two Swamp Memes--Bronies and Clowning the Air Force

Post by Johnnie »

Fucking pilots. That whole Brony culture is weird to me. I really, really thought it was a bunch of people who were like "Hey, let's one-up hipsters on the irony scale...let's pretend like My Little Pony and go to the extreme with it!" And then everyone agreed. But no. It's real and it's ridiculous. And I still don't get it. And the Military Brony Facebook page has double the likes of 'MURICA? Grrrrr.

But military patches are a thing. Just go to a tailor shop around a base or to a gun show with vendors who sell paraphernalia. All sorts of random stuff. Here's a cool website that sells decent patches: http://milspecmonkey.com/store/patches/ ... onkey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was crazy out in Korea. You can get anything made up with a picture from the internet. Or something you drew. Just staggering.

I had this made up out there. And it is glorious. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: Swamp 6 Link Dump Extravaganza

Post by phxgators »

Wired's Danger Room blog had a series of "Awesomely Bad Military Patches" a few years ago. There were lots of good ones there.

I also have this book: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty interesting too, especially since I have a couple of patches in there from programs I have worked on.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Reddit AMA for that 6x6x6 Rubik's cube guy.

He's also a 5x5x5 & 7x7x7 champion too. And his 3x3x3 record is 5.93 seconds. That's pretty awesome.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Charlie Brown + The Smiths = This Site.

“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's an interesting headline for you:

Reality star Gia Allemand dies in New Orleans after suicide attempt

If she actually succeeded then it isn't really an "attempt" is it?

(I honestly had never heard of this person and don't really care about the story. Just a weirdly worded headline.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Charlie Brown + The Smiths = This Site.

If this doesn't bring Bapo out of retirement, nothing will.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Here's an interesting headline for you:

(I honestly had never heard of this person and don't really care about the story. Just a weirdly worded headline.

Maybe because she survived for a while and only died later after being taken off life support? What I found odd about the article is that there is an NBA team named the Pelicans. When the fuck did that happen? I couldn't be much more out of touch with the NBA.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:

Maybe because she survived for a while and only died later after being taken off life support? What I found odd about the article is that there is an NBA team named the Pelicans. When the fuck did that happen? I couldn't be much more out of touch with the NBA.
The New Orleans Hornets are now called the New Orleans Pelicans.

The Charlotte Bobcats are now called the Charlotte Hornets.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Sabo wrote:If this doesn't bring Bapo out of retirement, nothing will.
Maybe some Mark Trail + The Smiths might help.

Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

The New Orleans Hornets are now called the New Orleans Pelicans.

The Charlotte Bobcats are now called the Charlotte Hornets.
And the Jazz are in Utah, where they don't even allow music!

(I hate myself for liking that movie)
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Anyone near Philly looking for a job? http://www.sports-reference.com/jobs_2013.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Besides Charlie Manual?
mini puke to 1,558
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Welcome to the Major League manager ranks, Mr Sandberg. Here is a team on a 40-8 tear for ya'.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

The Warm Thrill of Confusion
I probably would have gone on experiencing music at this level until I died had I not made the mistake of trying to figure out what makes it tick. Arthur C. Clarke no doubt had something incredibly nerdy in mind when he said “any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic,” but what it implies for musicians is absolutely true. Behind every song’s immediate impact is a finite number of cogs and gears, and whatever skill you’re developing when you start to study the separate elements and patterns, it soon takes over. The visceral appreciation of sound and melody give way to involuntary analysis and you start hearing songs by registering the progression and using horrible words like “tonic” and “dominant seventh.” By the time I was a college student I wasn’t listening to music in the same way. I was insufferable. This crappy band you like is trying to con me with its two chords and three-note melody. No wonder my girlfriend broke up with me.
mini puke to 1,558
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Murder by Craigslist

Ohio, but too chilling a story to make it mere "Florida or Ohio" fodder.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:Murder by Craigslist

Damn.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:Murder by Craigslist

I see someone else is familiar with longform.org.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Louisiana:

Who do you think was more responsible for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W.Bush or Barack Obama?
George W. Bush.............................................28%
Barack Obama................................................29%
Not sure.........................................................44%

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... sponse-was" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Obama is solely to blame for the War of Northern Aggression as well.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Baron Von Esslingen
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Baron Von Esslingen »

phxgators wrote:Louisiana:

Who do you think was more responsible for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina: George W.Bush or Barack Obama?
George W. Bush.............................................28%
Barack Obama................................................29%
Not sure.........................................................44%

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... sponse-was" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Louisiana GOP plays "Blame The Black Guy" as well as George Zimmerman does.
I don't need no freakin signature
howard
Karl Hungus

Baby's On Fire!

Post by howard »

This post is devoted to the early solo career of Mr Brian Peter George St. John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno.

Doctors Suspect Rare Disease Might Have Afflicted Indian Child
Spontaneous Human Combustion, or SHC.

(Not to be confused with the Paw-Paw Negro Blowtorch) (As a public service, I scour the internets for a story about a camel being stabbed in the eye with a needle.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: Baby's On Fire!

Post by cerrano »

howard wrote:This post is devoted to the early solo career of Mr Brian Peter George St. John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno.

Doctors Suspect Rare Disease Might Have Afflicted Indian Child
Spontaneous Human Combustion, or SHC.

(Not to be confused with the Paw-Paw Negro Blowtorch) (As a public service, I scour the internets for a story about a camel being stabbed in the eye with a needle.)
i always hated those trick birthday candles.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Somerville worries it’s growing too hip.

The city is becoming so hipster so fast that it's attracting other hipsters which in turn makes it not cool because being a hipster requires knowing stuff that no one else knows about. What's the term for this cyclical phenomenon?

Regardless, my dad (born and raised there mostly before living in Medford) and his associates would look at this and scoff.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A cartoonist took some quotes from Bill Watterson and built a comic around them, in the style of Calvin & Hobbes. He did an awesome job. It'll make you question your life direction. I got a bit choked up, although a lot of the original Calvin & Hobbes cartoons do that to me now as well.

http://zenpencils.com/comic/128-bill-wa ... ts-advice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, it was actually a commencement speech that he gave in 1990. I like to think that I heed his advice for the most part.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

League Commish wrote:With a little bit of Work Randle El could be a good QB in the league
Fun Story
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... -football/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The sorceress was naked.

The sight of her bare flesh startled the prudish officers of Saudi Arabia's infamous religious police, the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (CPVPV), which had barged into her room in what was supposed to be a routine raid of a magical hideout in the western desert city of Madinah's Al-Seeh neighborhood. They paused in shock, and to let her dress.

The woman -- still unclothed -- managed to slip out of the window of her apartment and flee. According to the 2006 account of the Saudi Okaz newspaper, which has been described as the Arabic equivalent of the New York Post, she "flew like a bird." A frantic pursuit ensued. The unit found their suspect after she had fallen through the unsturdy roof of an adjacent house and onto the ground next to a bed of dozing children.

It just keeps getting crazier from there...
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:
The sorceress was naked.

The sight of her bare flesh startled the prudish officers of Saudi Arabia's infamous religious police, the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (CPVPV), which had barged into her room in what was supposed to be a routine raid of a magical hideout in the western desert city of Madinah's Al-Seeh neighborhood. They paused in shock, and to let her dress.

The woman -- still unclothed -- managed to slip out of the window of her apartment and flee. According to the 2006 account of the Saudi Okaz newspaper, which has been described as the Arabic equivalent of the New York Post, she "flew like a bird." A frantic pursuit ensued. The unit found their suspect after she had fallen through the unsturdy roof of an adjacent house and onto the ground next to a bed of dozing children.

It just keeps getting crazier from there...
The only good thing about that story is that I feel a little better now about our multitude of creationists.
Totally Kafkaesque
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Windows 8.1 leak. If you're into that kinda thing.
mini puke to 1,558
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Juicy bars: Air Force puts squeeze on businesses linked to human trafficking

Oh, USAF powers that be in Korea. That title is radically misleading too. You'd think it was the 1950's and whorehouses were rampant and preying upon poor United States service members.

The article itself states that only about 10 -- of over 150 -- bars even employ juicy girls. So...trafficking in persons? Hardly. And if they were being trafficked is this easily, where's the Korean government? Where's the Filippine government? I mean Korea is allowing women with E-6 entertainment visas into the country from the Phillippines. Why does it take the US getting involved at that point? If only the article would have found some Philippine Embassy labor attaché to comment about it. Oh wait.
Philippine Embassy labor attaché Felicitas Bay wrote:“I salute the firm resolve and conviction of the Osan Air Base leadership in their efforts in the campaign against human trafficking.”
So you suck at your job; you know there's a problem; and you're glad the US is cleaning up your bullshit mess. Greeeeaaaat.

And these contrasting comments, 3 years apart, are pretty jarring. The USFK Cmdr is a 4 star. The 7th AF Cmdr is a 3-star.
USFK Cmd Walter Sharp in 2010 wrote:“The bottom line is that juicy bars … have women that are there to talk to soldiers and sailors and airmen and Marines. You can’t presume that things go beyond that, which is what you would have to do if you want to put them (all) off-limits.”
7th AF Cmdr Marc-Jan Jouas in 2013 wrote:“The Department of Defense, the U.S. Forces Korea (and the) Air Force (are) pretty explicit in the fact that we have zero tolerance toward trafficking in persons. What is new is that we are putting that into action and placing (off-limits) these establishments that, in our view … are trafficking in persons."
Emphasis mine. In our view. One general makes the rationalization that a few bars are doing it, so punishing them all is ridiculous. The other says "So fucking what? PERSONS ARE BEING TRAFFICKED."No due diligence. Just an opinion. There's also further comment that the bars are "creepy" according to "our servicemembers."

So what's going to come of this? Nothing. Zero tolerance policies don't work. It's all, ironically, military dick waving.
7th AF Cmdr Marc-Jan Jouas, again wrote:“We’re not going to end the world’s oldest profession. If someone is looking for that, will they be able to find it? Probably. But within our sphere of influence, we’re doing what we can to drop it down.”
::eyeroll::
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Some of NYC's best hidden bars and restaurants.
Pick up the phone and chat with the person on the other end, and a false backing to the phone booth will open, letting you into PDT (Please Don’t Tell…oops), another speakeasy. This one requires a reservation, which can only be made by calling their phone number at 3pm.
http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=6895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Well, yeah:
People don’t know who he is, Bayless concedes, and can’t fathom how much he’s sacrificed for this job, how he’s devoted every waking hour to winning made-for-TV sports debates.…
“No regrets,” he says. “This is my calling. I was born to do this.”
Yeah. I feel a little bit sorry for people who feel that way about being a TV star.

Learned something. There really is a sports writing scholarship at Vanderbilt.

http://www.vucommodores.com/genrel/042109aab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tra-online.com/scholarship.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The report did not details which Eagles songs were being played.
"Peaceful Easy Feeling"?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:The Dude concurs.
So you finally watched it?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Jerloma wrote:The Dude concurs.
So you finally watched it?
I did! Like a year ago probably. Totally lived up to the hype.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.