Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Re: Temporary Television

Post by That French Guy »

That season finale of P&R would have been a perfect series finale, so don't screw up season 7 !!

I lost it when the Lil' Sebastian hologram showed up (not as much as when Andy threw the magazine in the fish tank a few episodes ago though)
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

That French Guy wrote:That season finale of P&R would have been a perfect series finale, so don't screw up season 7 !!

I lost it when the Lil' Sebastian hologram showed up (not as much as when Andy threw the magazine in the fish tank a few episodes ago though)
Yeah - that was great. So many good callbacks on that show.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That French Guy wrote:That season finale of P&R would have been a perfect series finale, so don't screw up season 7 !!

I said the same thing to my wife, I had to ask if the show was returning. I have no doubt it was intentional. Just weird. I think they sorted it out perfectly by having her take the job, yet staying in the same building. Couldn't do the show with her in Chicago, and you kind of had to have Leslie take the position.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I also think it was genius to fast forward and spare us a year of pregnancy jokes/humor etc. That ground has been well plowed, not much fresh to add. I think pretty brilliant move.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does anyone else think Aubrey Plaza is a horrible actress?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Does anyone else think Aubrey Plaza is a horrible actress?
She makes me laugh. I don't think she could handle something like, say, Anna Karenina, but for what's she's asked to do in Parks, she's great.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

brian wrote:
She makes me laugh. I don't think she could handle something like, say, Anna Karenina, but for what's she's asked to do in Parks, she's great.
I thought she was really good in the movie Safety Not Guaranteed and plays April perfectly on Parks.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think she is April though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:I think she is April though.
She seems to play that persona up on talk shows and whatnot.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Two questions. Am I the only one who thinks The Big Bang Theory is horrendously unfunny? How did this show become popular?
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

It made me laugh for a while, but I haven't watched the last two seasons and have no desire to catch up. I have no idea if that helps.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It was funny for a while, but now it's firmly entrenched in that place where old sitcoms go to decay. The place where scripts are templates, actors miraculously get younger nd the laugh track is cranked up a notch.

It's hard to think of a sitcom that stayed funny for more than 5 or 6 years. Off the top of my head, I've got 30 Rock, maybe Cheers, Seinfeld.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm making my way through Eastbound & Down (second season, Kenny just made his debut for the Charros). I know some of you must of watched it, and I feel like you assbloods didn't talk it up enough during its run. And yeah, that includes you, whoever it was who used to have a Kenny Powers avatar.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for Danny McBride. I laughed at Your Highness for fucks sake. Sober!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote:I'm making my way through Eastbound & Down (second season, Kenny just made his debut for the Charros). I know some of you must of watched it, and I feel like you assbloods didn't talk it up enough during its run. And yeah, that includes you, whoever it was who used to have a Kenny Powers avatar.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for Danny McBride. I laughed at Your Highness for fucks sake. Sober!
Just finished season 4 via Amazon Prime. I Enjoyed it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:I'm making my way through Eastbound & Down (second season, Kenny just made his debut for the Charros). I know some of you must of watched it, and I feel like you assbloods didn't talk it up enough during its run. And yeah, that includes you, whoever it was who used to have a Kenny Powers avatar.

I thought season 2 was SHIT.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Just finished season 4 via Amazon Prime. I Enjoyed it.
I started watching it on my parents' HBOGO account, which I had hijacked for Game of Thrones, and then the HBO/Prime thing happened. Amazon is much easier for me to stream through the TV, so yay.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote:Two questions. Am I the only one who thinks The Big Bang Theory is horrendously unfunny? How did this show become popular?
I like it. I still like it. I know it is cool to say how unfunny it is, but I like it. No apologies.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Her acting is the last thing I'm concerned about. Hawt.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote:
Sabo wrote:Two questions. Am I the only one who thinks The Big Bang Theory is horrendously unfunny? How did this show become popular?
I like it. I still like it. I know it is cool to say how unfunny it is, but I like it. No apologies.
I gave it a try with some reruns. I hate Jim Parsons's character.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB_skin_test wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
I gave it a try with some reruns. I hate Jim Parsons's character.
The you definitely won't like it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote:I like it. I still like it. I know it is cool to say how unfunny it is, but I like it. No apologies.
I watched How I Met Your Mother through the last episode, so I'm very not attached to only watching "cool" television, and I just don't get it. Do you have to be semi-sciencey or have hung out with that type to find it funny? The laugh-track-less version that floated around a few years ago was exactly how I feel watching the show. My mom thinks I'm an idiot.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think it's a good show to put on when you're in bed but not tired enough to fall right asleep but don't want to watch anything that's going to keep you awake or anything that you care if you miss any of it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB_skin_test wrote:I gave it a try with some reruns. I hate Jim Parsons's character.
I have to say, I felt the same way about How I Met Your Mother. I tried to get into it through reruns, and I thought it just wasn't funny. Seemed like a poor imitation of Friends.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not a show I'd try to sell anyone on. I think it hit me slash my demographic because, in real time, they were all basically the same age doing more or less the same things. If the series started today, I probably would never get into it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:
tennbengal wrote:I like it. I still like it. I know it is cool to say how unfunny it is, but I like it. No apologies.
I watched How I Met Your Mother through the last episode, so I'm very not attached to only watching "cool" television, and I just don't get it. Do you have to be semi-sciencey or have hung out with that type to find it funny? The laugh-track-less version that floated around a few years ago was exactly how I feel watching the show. My mom thinks I'm an idiot.
Don't think so, for my part anyway, for sure. Its a cast that as it has grown has hit, for me, that sitcom sweetspot where the actors seem to have a genuine rapport and the writers have a good feel for their characters, and with the years I have watched the show, fall into the inside humor a little quicker.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Its not a show I'd try to sell anyone on. I think it hit me slash my demographic because, in real time, they were all basically the same age doing more or less the same things. If the series started today, I probably would never get into it.
Word. If I hadn't watched HIMYM from the beginning, or if I was a bit older, I don't think I would have enjoyed it. The show has more inside jokes and running gags than the Swamp. So much so, I'm sure I missed more than half of them. On the few instances when someone linked an article about an episode, I learned that I didn't watch nearly as closely as I should have. Then again, my Mom started watching several seasons in and loved the show.

I tried watching Big Bang Theory when it first came on. My wife pulled the plug half way into the first episode. Knowing how bad pilots of great shows can be, I tried watching a couple more times, and just didn't find any of it funny. I was never into SciFi or comic books or anything of that ilk, so maybe I just don't appreciate references or a similar type of humor. I have tried watching periodically when the syndicated episodes come on, I just don't find it funny. I know it is tremendously popular though, so I must be missing something. I don't enjoy any of the traditional canned sitcoms with the traditional timing and format. The only comedies I watch are Modern Family and Parks and Rec. Oh, and I occasionally watch Brooklyn 99 on Hulu. I know that show is the pinnacle of lowbrow, but it cracks me up and is quirky enough to keep me interested. Plus Andre Braugher is awesome in it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If there's ever been a show that benefitted more from taking 4 years off and then airing 12 new episodes that are pretty much xeroxed from any of their past seasons except the hot blonde is now a believably awesome peer instead of a wildlife-dodging au pair idiot than 24, I haven't seen it.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Only 2 episodes into True Detective and I love it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So, so good.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Two episodes away from finishing House of Cards. Great freaking show.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Les Revenants a French show - "The Returned" - is among the best shows I have ever seen. Intense, creepy and really intelligent. Just finished episode 6 of its first season (8 episodes) and it creeped the hell out of me.

Highly recommended.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Orphan Black is fascinating; getting ready to finish season one this afternoon. Tatiana Maslany is great in the various clone roles - how she didn't win the Emmy (or more likely the Golden Globe she was nominated for) for best actress is beyond me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote:If there's ever been a show that benefitted more from taking 4 years off and then airing 12 new episodes that are pretty much xeroxed from any of their past seasons except the hot blonde is now a believably awesome peer instead of a wildlife-dodging au pair idiot than 24, I haven't seen it.

Oh great, a mole! I was really hoping they would skip that scenario this season.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:

I thought season 2 was SHIT.
Holy shit. The second episode of season 3 made child abandonment and child endangerment funnier than I ever thought they could be.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Veep had a really good season. Highly recommended.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Pruitt wrote:Veep had a really good season. Highly recommended.
I haven't seen this season but loved the one (two?) they already aired.

ETA - I watched last night's Fallon and they were interviewing Rangers fans and one of them was named "Joey Clams." Sounds familiar...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm with AB. Season 1, or maybe only the first half of Season 1, was just about perfection. The pilot was the funniest pilot I've ever watched. Then it looked like a show that didn't plan on getting extended and started falling back on "look he's doing that thing he sometimes does ha ha" jokes.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:I'm with AB. Season 1, or maybe only the first half of Season 1, was just about perfection. The pilot was the funniest pilot I've ever watched. Then it looked like a show that didn't plan on getting extended and started falling back on "look he's doing that thing he sometimes does ha ha" jokes.
Danny McBride could read that and I would laugh. Plus my wife is into the show now and I'd rather watch it with her than anything on HGTV.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We've been binge watching the entire Breaking Bad series that I got for Christmas. Man, the hype was well deserved.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

At least this season of 24 has amazing facial hair.