Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote:U2 just released a surprise album today. And it's free on iTunes, I think. If I can figure it out. I'm old.
I've seen several people bitching about this on Facebook. How can you complain about a free album? People seem to feel it is an invasion of privacy or taking up memory. From what I understand, it is just a link to the cloud, and not actually stored on your phone or iPod. It is no different than sending an e-mail with an embedding link IMO. Does iTunes charge you for downloading it? If not, why are they doing this? Did Apple pay a fixed fee to U2 hoping to create buzz and maybe sway people away from Droids? I saw a commercial on fast forward on my DVR, and I didn't bother to go back and watch it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

People aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. Fin.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't tell you how many people at work complain about the free coffee. Granted...it sucks, but it's free. You can also buy Starbucks.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
EdRomero wrote:U2 just released a surprise album today. And it's free on iTunes, I think. If I can figure it out. I'm old.
I've seen several people bitching about this on Facebook. How can you complain about a free album? People seem to feel it is an invasion of privacy or taking up memory. From what I understand, it is just a link to the cloud, and not actually stored on your phone or iPod. It is no different than sending an e-mail with an embedding link IMO. Does iTunes charge you for downloading it? If not, why are they doing this? Did Apple pay a fixed fee to U2 hoping to create buzz and maybe sway people away from Droids? I saw a commercial on fast forward on my DVR, and I didn't bother to go back and watch it.
I think the issue was twofold. First, there is a setting somewhere in iTunes that will automatically download "purchased" content to your Apple devices (or a setting per device to do the same?). Second, since you didn't really "purchase" it, there initially wasn't a way to remove it from iTunes. Unless you fell into that group, there wasn't anything to complain about.

Even so...
brian wrote:People aren't happy unless they're complaining about something. Fin.
...yes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you don't want the stupid album and have to put in even minimal effort to get rid of it, its a negative.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Well after listening for about a week, I'd say it's about the level of All that You Can't Leave Behind. Musically, I think it's better than that album, but Bono's lyrics are getting worse. I like that he went more personal with this album, which is an improvement over the last two, but just too much greeting card stuff.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I guess I don't want music content pushed on me in that kind of officious way. Hit the "recently downloaded" during a run the other day, and realized I was hearing the U2 album - even though cloud only, it played as if I had accepted it. Really annoying.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In case I wasn't clear above, I was agreeing that it's obnoxious to have an album added to your devices if you didn't explicitly ask for it. I was also agreeing that in general people love an excuse to bitch about anything and everything.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I do love to bitch and complain, probably moreso than the average, but, yeah, this was pretty sucky by Apple. Probably lower on the list than what they put humans through to make their products that I buy thereby adding to the human misery, but, still sucky.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They gave a free album out. Sure, they could have had a screen pop up to ask if you wanted it, but that would have been just as annoying probably.

I listened to it. I'm not a huge u2 fan, but it was fine.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB_skin_test wrote:They gave a free album out. Sure, they could have had a screen pop up to ask if you wanted it, but that would have been just as annoying probably.

I listened to it. I'm not a huge u2 fan, but it was fine.
They didn't give a free album out. That would be like if you were walking down the street and someone offered you a free album, and you could says "thanks!" or "no!". They shoved an album into your hand or into your backpack or whatever. It was...weird. At some level, the tunes in ones library are kinda personal, and you make choices on what to have in there. This felt like a strange invasion of that.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I've got two girls, so my library has anything from hannah montana to one direction to the arctic monkeys. It's not sacred to me anymore!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd much rather face judgment for "Dora's Greatest Hits" than I would for owning a 2014 U2 album.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:I'd much rather face judgment for "Dora's Greatest Hits" than I would for owning a 2014 U2 album.
Get on Your Boots!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm happy to get a new U2 album that I like for free. But I have misgivings about how they did it. On Apple's end I see it as an attempt to become stronger in the market somehow, which would eventually lead to them fucking over the consumer. On U2's end, it's this quixotic battle to return to relevance (even dominance) like the 80's/90's (and a chance to cash a really big check from Apple). I'd rather have them slide into irrelevance and put out good albums without trying to force it. I like how REM, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, and probably a lot of others put out quality albums late in their careers that didn't dominate charts, but pleased fans and got casual fans to appreciate that they made some good music. I guess Bono prefers annoying a lot and gathering all the attention (and $) that comes with it over quietly pleasing a few.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Am I allowed to make the slippery slope argument where having iTunes could eventually lead to a "Song of the Day"? Basically music spam where the onus is on you to ignore and delete.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:Am I allowed to make the slippery slope argument where having iTunes could eventually lead to a "Song of the Day"? Basically music spam where the onus is on you to ignore and delete.
Yes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And then everyone marries their dog.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Bono tells TIME he hopes that a new digital music format in the works will prove so irresistibly exciting to music fans that it will tempt them again into buying music—whole albums as well as individual tracks.
http://time.com/3393297/u2-apple-new-digital-format/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, yes, Apple is working on a new way to screw over consumers.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

20 years ago, Under the Table and Dreaming was released
I liked this article: https://www.relix.com/articles/detail/u ... ant_record" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I find something about this occasion surprising. Have you heard anything about UTTAD’s anniversary? Not really, right? Nothing substantial from the band or its management. With the practically mandatory 1990s nostalgia-induced remembrances of records released a score ago, there hasn’t been much reflection on the undeniable breakthrough and genre-shifting success of one of the biggest American “rock” outfits ever. Outside of this piece, it seems there’s a noticeable lack of rose-colored lookbacks at what it means for DMB to arrive the way they did; to sell more than 2 million albums almost out of nowhere in less than a year’s time; to do it with unconventional methods toward publicity; to bloom a fan base, and keep it, in that tried and true, bottom-up way.

To date, there haven’t been inklings of reissues, remixes, box sets or new vinyl pressings. (In a way, this is refreshing.) The Dave Matthews Band’s red-letter day is certainly nothing like what Oasis, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Weezer, Outkast, Green Day, Wu-Tang Clan and others have been lauded with regarding their noteworthy album vicennials in recent months/years.

Yet DMB has outsold all those acts and is arguably occupying the largest American fan base of any of them, evidenced by the like-clockwork touring revenue the group brings in every friggin’ year. They do this despite offering average ticket prices that are much cheaper than other annual touring breadwinners who cluster the top of Pollstar’s lists. The playful irony here is, while plenty would say few “alternative” bands from that era evoke more of a 1990s aura than DMB (and we know you’re still out there, Gin Blossoms and Spin Doctors), the truth is, Dave and Co. monetarily hit their prime a decade later. DMB earned more money touring in the aughts than anyone: $530 million, which, given the economy, is likely a record for any artist in any decade.

And in 2014, the tours and money and fans keep on. DMB is still relevant to the modern music landscape, they just happen to singularly occupy fairly large, previously unowned territory.

Despite the band continuing to tour, record a studio record every few years and put live albums up for purchase/download with the turning of each season, for whatever reason, it long ago stopped being cool to overtly like -- or even hate -- Dave Matthews Band. (Community viewers will note the show made reference to this notion last season.) The band’s fans aren’t yet old enough to claim seniority status like Springsteen’s equally devoted concert-counting vets. The group doesn’t take drastic artistic chances/isn’t the critical darlings like a Radiohead. They aren’t as market-savvy or as hellbent on publicity as a U2 or a Coldplay. Even Pearl Jam, who once was synonymous with music-purist instincts, seems to have been more aggressive in presenting their music and image with their past two record releases than DMB.

Still, the band’s carefully cultivated and absolutely dedicated, massive fan base -- as well as all the other ever-young high school-age bros who continue to pass down the regrettable tradition of showing up to shows just to stupefy themselves in the parking lots of amphitheaters across the country -- show no signs of diminishing. The machine keeps churning, leading the band to amass millions of records sold and setting unprecedented album-sales records in the process.

Putting that in context, it’s clear Sept. 27, 1994, is a significant date for American music. It signaled the arrival of a band comprised of a lineup unlike anything that had ever been signed to a major label: a crowd-pleasing, goofy-yet-physical freak of a black violin player; a mysterious sax maestro; a shy teenager on bass who looked like he lived in the band van; a lanky South African frontman who didn’t play electric guitar and preferred to wear pajama pants on national television; and the oldest guy in the band, oh by the way, would prove to be one of the most dynamic and talented drummers in the history of popular music.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Remember Two Things was a better album.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

I listen to Spoon albums until i can't listen to them anymore and always think I won't like their newest release because I would be tired of their sound, but they seem to deliver every time. The new album 'They Want My Soul' is just as awesome as everything they have ever done. Spoon, Yo La Tengo, and Wilco, keep delivering when you can't imagine they have anything left.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Remember Two Things was not a better album.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And now for something completely different. I don't know much about the Hippity-Hop, but this guy sounds like he is good at the rapping.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Betty Wright, Lenny Williams, The Roots.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And, now for something completely different...

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

back to the Canterbury Scene.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:And, now for something completely different...

Not even with your dick...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A companion piece?

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Fan of Boardwalk Empire, eh.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finally getting caught up on some music especially with the Life Is Beautiful festival coming up in downtown LV this weekend and I'm blown away by this new Bear Hands album (Distraction). Possibly the best album I've heard in the last couple of years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:Fan of Boardwalk Empire, eh.
Well found it somewhere else, I have to catch up, been slacking with the newborn and all that.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rush2112 wrote:
howard wrote:Fan of Boardwalk Empire, eh.
Well found it somewhere else, I have to catch up, been slacking with the newborn and all that.
bugsy Siegel sang it in Sunday's episode
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

On a scale of 10 to 10 or 10 to 10, how terrible or awesome is Run For the Roses by Dan Fogelberg?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I know that there aren't many reggae fans here, but I highly recommend Chronixx's new album.

Modern roots reggae with some fine dubs tacked on at the end.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Saw these guys live a few weeks ago, made me love them even more. Here's a song from their new album, no actual video yet but great album.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Fall are definitely one of my favourite bands of all time.

35 years of scathing, odd and sometimes abusive music, they are led by a 60 year old alcoholic who has a tendency to marry and then divorce his bassists or keyboard players. In fact, every five years or so he fires his entire band and starts again. Last couple albums have been "meh," but on his day Mark E. Smith can pump out some of the greatest music I have ever heard.

here's a taste - as Smith leads one of the better Fall lineups in one of their greatest tunes ":What About Us" - a song about East European immigrants to England and a mass murdering English physician named Harold Shipman. The band kills it in front opf an audience of indifferent Norwegians.

Hope you like it.

TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

I don't normally listen to dancy music like this but Calvin Harris' Summer is awesome! and i heard he's doing a song with Haim so it makes me like him even more.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This

and this is greatest thing ever.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush - those are two classics.

Fela is king!