Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Johnnie wrote:What we're all being distracted from:

http://reddit.com/r/politics/comments/6 ... judiciary/

Imma be that guy and say if folks have followed this thread and read the Vox, Atlantic and other articles posted along the way, there's nothing new in that testimony. It does confirm things, on the record.

There are a lot of things that are now public record that make things look really shady. As of now, there still isn't the one glaring thing that creates an open and shut case.

But that's all of the things that we know from reporting and testimony. Who knows what Mueller's team is scrounging up.

Vox, The Atlantic, and other articles aren't mainstream. The average Good Morning, America or Morning Joe type person isn't going to sources like that for their news.

They are watching the sensationalized mainstream outlets covering newsworthy events like the president's tweets and who's being fired.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Joe K wrote:
sancarlos wrote:It's really frustrating to see GOP senators and representatives bitch and moan about Trump, but then vote right along with him. Jeff Flake is the latest example, but at least his anti-Trump language is pretty strident.

Flake is definitely trying to position himself for a future run for President. But as you pointed out, when push comes to shove, he has backed Trump at every turn. He voted for every single Trump cabinet appointee and also voted to repeal the ACA. Whenever the Trump nightmare ends, and the media begins its inevitable quest to rehabilitate the GOP by promoting "reasonable moderates," hopefully people remember who actually cast votes against Trump and took stances that mattered. Right now, the pickings are pretty damn slim on that front.

Of course Flake is voting along with Trump - the votes are on things Flake agrees with. Flake is a Republican, and pretty much the entire Republican party is behind things like their horrible repeal-and-replace nonsense. They all voted for Sessions and Price and the rest.

If we want to see steps toward getting rid of Trump, it won't be from the people who vote against Trump's initiatives. It'll be from the horrible Republicans like Flake.

I think someone like Flake having an op-ed published is a big deal. This is how it starts - if it is going to happen.

To me, the bigger deal is that Flake admitted in the op-ed that as soon as Obama entered office, the Republicans joined together to thwart him no matter what he did. I don't know if any Republicans have publicly admitted that before.

What would be the time frame for this? IIRC the 2009 Obama cabinet nominations went much smoother with less obstruction than the 2017 Trump cabinet nominations. The 46+2 Democratic senators are voting as a block right now.

The Dems had a majority of both Houses in 2009, so of course Obama had less obstruction to getting his nominees passed. Outside of several highly unqualified nominees like DeVos and Perry, and horrible choices who are the antithesis of the Agencies they were nominated to head (Sessions, Puzder, Pruitt...), the Dems let the qualified nominees skate without much questioning. For all of Trump's crying of Dem obstructionism, he has nominated a shockingly low number of people, leaving major vacancies. This is a combination of disorganization and failure to understand what they are doing, Bannon's goal to make most agencies weak to "destroy the Administrative State," Trump not trusting anyone except for his family (Kushner can solve the Middle East, end political corruption and win the War on Drugs, all while single-handedly building the Wall), but most crucial, Trump can't find people willing to accept nominations. You'd have to be delusional, insane, or stupid to work in Trump's Admin.

And the 2009 GOP leaders openly admit to meeting just after Obama's Inauguration to formulate a plan to obstruct everything he attempted to do. They openly admitted to putting Party before Country, and McConnell said it at the time in a televised speech. They shut down the government when they couldn't get their way, and fuck, the Merrick Garland block was one of the most despicable acts of partisan politics ever. They flat out stole a S.Ct. seat, even when Obama appointed an impeccable Judge who was Right of Center. Prior to Obama selecting Garland, Lindsey Graham who sits on the Justice Committee, said Garland would be his choice, but Obama would never nominate a Judge so far Right. Then Lindsey refused to hold a hearing to confirm Garland. The level of hypocrisy and just flat out evil gamesmanship from the GOP infuriates me, but they get away with it, and accuse the Dems of doing the same, when the Dems lack the coordination or will to play these games.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Johnnie wrote:What we're all being distracted from:

http://reddit.com/r/politics/comments/6 ... judiciary/

Imma be that guy and say if folks have followed this thread and read the Vox, Atlantic and other articles posted along the way, there's nothing new in that testimony. It does confirm things, on the record.

There are a lot of things that are now public record that make things look really shady. As of now, there still isn't the one glaring thing that creates an open and shut case.

But that's all of the things that we know from reporting and testimony. Who knows what Mueller's team is scrounging up.

Vox, The Atlantic, and other articles aren't mainstream. The average Good Morning, America or Morning Joe type person isn't going to sources like that for their news.

They are watching the sensationalized mainstream outlets covering newsworthy events like the president's tweets and who's being fired.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that front.

But it's important that this stuff gets on the record now. Not so much with the masses, but with the DC media elite.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

degenerasian wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Joe K wrote:
sancarlos wrote:It's really frustrating to see GOP senators and representatives bitch and moan about Trump, but then vote right along with him. Jeff Flake is the latest example, but at least his anti-Trump language is pretty strident.

Flake is definitely trying to position himself for a future run for President. But as you pointed out, when push comes to shove, he has backed Trump at every turn. He voted for every single Trump cabinet appointee and also voted to repeal the ACA. Whenever the Trump nightmare ends, and the media begins its inevitable quest to rehabilitate the GOP by promoting "reasonable moderates," hopefully people remember who actually cast votes against Trump and took stances that mattered. Right now, the pickings are pretty damn slim on that front.

Of course Flake is voting along with Trump - the votes are on things Flake agrees with. Flake is a Republican, and pretty much the entire Republican party is behind things like their horrible repeal-and-replace nonsense. They all voted for Sessions and Price and the rest.

If we want to see steps toward getting rid of Trump, it won't be from the people who vote against Trump's initiatives. It'll be from the horrible Republicans like Flake.

I think someone like Flake having an op-ed published is a big deal. This is how it starts - if it is going to happen.

To me, the bigger deal is that Flake admitted in the op-ed that as soon as Obama entered office, the Republicans joined together to thwart him no matter what he did. I don't know if any Republicans have publicly admitted that before.

What would be the time frame for this? IIRC the 2009 Obama cabinet nominations went much smoother with less obstruction than the 2017 Trump cabinet nominations. The 46+2 Democratic senators are voting as a block right now.

You recall how quickly US cabinet nominations went through??? Why? That strains credulity. I think a much more likely scenario is that you've heard this said by a GOP spokesperson recently. It's a ridiculous argument. Obama and his team had done a shit load of work before and during the transition to get all the vetting done, the paperwork (security clearances, conflict of interest stuff)... When they started formally nominating folks -- Folks with the appropriate background experience, folks that weren't on record basically saying the agency the were about to lead shouldn't exist(!)...

Conversely, and I've pointed this out numerous times, including yesterday, the Trump team DID NOT EXPECT TO WIN. They did virtually zero pre-work on filling out their cabinet positions. Hell, the fired the fucking guy initially tapped to do this (Christie.) That is BATSHIT... That doesn't happen. It was yet another early sign for folks that know how things work that this crew was dumpster fire on top of tire fire on top of the flames of Hades.

It's a completely bullshit comparison. Just like saying ACA was rushed through with no Republican input. That's a fucking lie.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

YEah, like the guy in the $5,000 suit is gonna read shit around the house. COME ON.

Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:YEah, like the guy in the $5,000 suit is gonna read shit around the house. COME ON.

That reminds me. Some people compare Trump Junior to Fredo. But, I think he's more like GOB.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Speaking of which, it was discussed in the TV thread, but the forthcoming Season Five of Arrested Development is supposedly taking dead aim on the Trumps. It's always been a bit of a veiled analog but I guess Hurwitz and Company are just saying fuck it at this point.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Trump's Twitter Links To This NY Post Article

Looking at the excited welcome he got in Youngstown the other day. Great source as well - links right next to the story are for graphically illustrated stories "'Sexiest motorcyclist’ on Instagram killed in horrific high-speed crash," "A knockout so vicious it made Dana White flinch -- and pay up" and the cover story - "Rear Window - Lower East Side Neighbors Rip Posh Hotel Guests' Sex Antics"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This Miller Guy Is The Worst

Watch around the 3 minute mark when he sees a chance to deflect and pivots on Jim Acosta and basically accuses him of being racist. The fact that this guy is out there speaking to the media speaks to a horrific level of arrogance and incompetence.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The swiftness in that political spin and immediate sanctimonious putdown means he had that in the bag for a while. If that was me I would have escalated the situation and blown up because of how disgusting it was.

Reminds me of A.J. Daulerio on the stand being taken to the woodshed for an obvious exaggerative comment blown way out of proportion and not being able to have a defense for it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:The swiftness in that political spin and immediate sanctimonious putdown means he had that in the bag for a while. If that was me I would have escalated the situation and blown up because of how disgusting it was.

Reminds me of A.J. Daulerio on the stand being taken to the woodshed for an obvious exaggerative comment blown way out of proportion and not being able to have a defense for it.

The quality of this video is bad, but that Miller guy's response to Acosta (and his overall demeanour) reminds me of this Martin Short character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc2o8ywKqos
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote:https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/893099210668638208

It's amazing how ill-prepared Trump is when he picks up the phone or sits down to meetings. How much irrationality overcomes him because of his biases. And how it makes him essentially that of a child, who responds to an assured, calming voice of reason (Turnbull).

Yeah. Good times to be an American.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Hopefully, Trump comes back all rested and ready from his 14+ days off. Lord knows he's been working so hard to MAGA.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Hopefully, Trump comes back all rested and ready from his 14+ days off. Lord knows he's been working so hard to MAGA.

Remember when he said he chastised the Senate, saying nobody should leave Washington until Obamacare was defeated? He already had an 18 day vacation at his NJ home planned, and made no move to change it when the vote fell through. Who knew healthcare would be so hard? He is the greatest dealmaker, it will be so easy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Turnbull call tho...

He is such a fucking moron.

How many fucking times did Turnbull have to explain the boat thing??

Jesus Fucking Christ.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:Hopefully, Trump comes back all rested and ready from his 14+ days off. Lord knows he's been working so hard to MAGA.

But a rally tonight in West Virginia.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:

But a rally tonight in West Virginia.

No doubt celebrating all those new coal mining jobs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

More of that type of stuff here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump/
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Grand jury empaneled in DC. So that's a thing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote:Grand jury empaneled in DC. So that's a thing.

Which creates a lot more questions than answers, but that's OK. At least there's movement. Also pretty much locks down that someone's getting indicted for some kind of federal crime at some point, just a question of how high up it ends up going.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:

Which creates a lot more questions than answers, but that's OK. At least there's movement. Also pretty much locks down that someone's getting indicted for some kind of federal crime at some point, just a question of how high up it ends up going.

At a minimum, I would think Flynn is in trouble. Perhaps Manafort, too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote:
brian wrote:

Would Kushner, Sessions et al lying on their security clearance forms about Russian contacts be something that could fall under the purview of this investigation or nah?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:
Joe K wrote:
brian wrote:

Would Kushner, Sessions et al lying on their security clearance forms about Russian contacts be something that could fall under the purview of this investigation or nah?

It's not really clear what exactly the scope of the investigation is, so I'm not sure. Flynn pretty clearly engaged in undisclosed lobbying work for multiple foreign governments, which is why I think he's the most obvious target.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The grand jury thing hasn't triggered NYT or WashPost push notifications for me yet, so should I consider it a big deal? That's sort of my gauge.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:The grand jury thing hasn't triggered NYT or WashPost push notifications for me yet, so should I consider it a big deal? That's sort of my gauge.

Was broken by WSJ so, eh...NYT and WaPo have broken most of the "bombshells" to date.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This cover is. <fire emoji, if in fact we had emojis which I'm pretty glad we don't really>

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status ... 3221329920
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That article. Trump has only been west of the Mississippi ONCE since being inaugurated. What in the fuck?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

for god's sake, why would anyone try to goad him into actually doing any work?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:That article. Trump has only been west of the Mississippi ONCE since being inaugurated. What in the fuck?

He golfs for free in the east.

Great article too.

His approval is at 36% or so. It can go a bit lower, but the rallies will be packed by people excited to see a real, honest to God celebrity! Stroke his ego, give material for the propagandists...

There's a reason why garbage oldies acts like the Oak Ridge Boys or Bobby Vinton took up residence in the boonies of Branson. These are people so starved for a connection to celebrity and the big outside world that they would line up to see 3rd rate entertainers. So trump can get 20,000 requests for a 7,000 seater in Youngstown Ohio? I'd bet that Jay Leno would fill that arena too.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So where does "WV democrat governor switches to pro-Trump republican" fall on the "real soon supporting the president will be an untenable position" meter?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Democratic governor who used to be a Republican before switching to a Democrat. I'm surprised that guy can figure out a pair of underwear to put on much less become a billionaire.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

One silver lining for the administration is that Trump’s numbers among Republicans remain high, with 76 percent of the GOP telling Quinnipiac they continue to support him. But even that mark is down eight points from June.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Has the inverse number been measured yet? The number of voters who would abstain if they blasted Trump out? Because that's the only number that really matters.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.