College Basketball 15-16

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: College Basketball 15-16

Post by A_B »

This season is nuts
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote:Plumlee has been at Duke for 5 years now and he's never shown much ability to do anything with his back to the basket. He has one little baby hook move that is money from 2 feet, that's about it. The strategy that Duke would have liked to play against Syracuse was to have Amile Jefferson set up at the foul line as a sort of target man. Not totally sure why they didn't try that with Ingram, maybe they just felt it was too far outside his comfort zone. But no, they are not going to employ a lot of post offense. If Jahlil Okafor post offense made the Duke offense less efficient than it otherwise was (it's a fact!), then certainly Marshall Plumlee post offense would do the same.
Plumlee has really turned it on of late though. It's really impressive what K can do with these kids. Who would have guessed you could make a solid player out of a nobody scrapper in only his 5th year of college after being named a McDonald's All-American and having two brothers playing in the NBA?
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Virginia just won the craziest fucking game I've ever seen.

They won with a banked (from the wing) three at the buzzer from a guy who hadn't taken a shot all night.

That's not all. UVA hit three threes in the final 14 seconds. They went 4-4 from 3s in the final minute (18 points in the final 1:30). They had hit 1 three all night before that.

Wake had the ball, up 7, with 20 seconds left.
Wake kicked UVA's ass all night. Almost.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Michael Phelps has been training at ASU, and went to the game against Oregon State last night.
That's either awesome, awful, or awesomely awful. I can't decide.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What three things would I wish for if I was stranded on a desert island?

1. Michael Phelps
2. A saddle
3. A stick with a gold medal on one end
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He already has a lot of gold medals, don't think he's going to let you do that for another.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Iowa...WAAAHH. It's round, it bounced, and I am sure met NCAA specs.
of course the headline is a bit unfair to Iowa's actual quotes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... reet-ball/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had no idea each team can have their own brand of ball. That seems really dumb to me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

We used to go get our butts kicked by a school that ALWAYS had the slickest leather balls. I could barely even catch the damn things. They had no issue, of course. Catching. Dunking. Alley-ooping on our heads. Definitely not the reason we lost but it can be tough to play with a funky ball.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Not in tournament games, but yes at home. Here's an illustration, actually.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The NCAA is a strange beast. They technically don't administer regular season games.

You notice this in a few ways. Balls used, signage at fields (Even at the D3 level they have to tweak a bunch of stuff to host a game), and officials. For example, college lacrosse refs have a uniform. However, that uniform changes for the NCAA tournament as the NCAA takes over officiating for the playoffs. Playoff officials can't wear the US Lacrosse patch, their numbers, and a few other things.

I assume in big time revenue sports most stuff is run by the conference during the regular season.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm not sure I could love anything more than I did the way UVA played today against Louisville. That was as good of basketball on both ends of the court as any games they played in the past couple of years. The defense all year has been a step slow, but not today. They cut off everything Louisville tried to do. And the offense was patient and efficient, never buckling under Louisville's constant ball pressure.

I think they ended up with the biggest margin of victory for an opponent in the Yum! Center. If they didn't, it's because 'ville scored 2 or 3 times at the end against UVA's deep bench (including a dude I've never even heard of).

Maybe that miracle against Wake Forest was what this team needed to realize that they have to play hard all the time. That was a Final Four caliber team I saw today.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Took the family to see the Revolutionary Rivalry game yesterday. For those not in the A-10 know, that is George Washington v. George Mason. Some thoughts

1.) How did GW beat UVA this year? They are not that good a team
2.) GW must have a gaggle of translators on the team. The starting 5 has a kid from Japan (tall lanky shooter), Denmark (stiff big man), and Argentina.
3.) George Mason's freshman point guard is fun. High energy kid from New Jersey, Otis Livingston II. And they always say "the second" when his name is called out by the PA announcer. He shoots the three, can get to the rim, and willing to throw no luck behind the back passes.
4.) Mason's coach is a trip. Very funny sideline antics.
5.) Mason's Band...Doc Nix and The Big Green Machine....unique in a good way....Remind me of my favorite cover bands from college (ones that brought full brass group to help with rock covers).
6.) 12 PM tip off on a Sunday is a tough time to get students to a game.
7.) Tickets should not be so expensive for A-10 hoops (especially when you are in the top of the arena).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Indiana closed first half on 25-0 run against Michigan.

No other games of note. La Dee da.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wonder how Rick Barnes is doing??
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:Wonder how Rick Barnes is doing??
Pretty happy right now, but that team has lost games they shouldn't have.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote:Indiana closed first half on 25-0 run against Michigan.

No other games of note. La Dee da.
Yeah, at home, too. That was fucking bizarre.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Louisville self-imposes a postseason ban.

Seems like they should have announced it at 5 PM Friday on Super Bowl weekend, not 1.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:Louisville self-imposes a postseason ban.

Seems like they should have announced it at 5 PM Friday on Super Bowl weekend, not 1.
Maybe it leaked prematurely.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:

Well I'll be damned. Tremendous.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:

Lol.

That's actually a pretty big deal, considering they are currently #8 in the Pomeroy ratings.

I just remembered that their two best players are both senior transfers who will only have this one year at Louisville. They left smaller schools (Drexel and Cleveland State, I think) to take a shot at Final Four at Louisville. Heartbreaking for those kids who had absolutely nothing to do with this mess.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Obviously they are trying to get the NCAA to go lenient on them. But I am not sure it will work.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Guess this report is gonna be a doozy
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:I just remembered that their two best players are both senior transfers who will only have this one year at Louisville. They left smaller schools (Drexel and Cleveland State, I think) to take a shot at Final Four at Louisville. Heartbreaking for those kids who had absolutely nothing to do with this mess.
If you want a truly broken heart, try to figure out what Pitino's tournament bonus was.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So the ACC added four Big East schools three seasons ago (Louisville actually joined just two years ago) and this is now the second different one of those schools to self-impose a postseason ban. Yay for expansion!!

(I believe the most recent ACC postseason ban before this was NC State over 20 years ago for issues under Jim Valvano.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

the Big East schools aren't as good at dragging this shit out as the legacy ACC schools are
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. I found this out a while ago when I was told my "really smart idea" had already been taken the to point of a statistical jump.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can anyone think of a song about bareback sex as epic as Kiss From a Rose? If so, add in a chorus of urologists and the NCAA has itself a commercial.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In case anyone is wondering, the number of teams to gain 15+ wins from one season to the next is 17 over the last decade.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:In case anyone is wondering, the number of teams to gain 15+ wins from one season to the next is 17 over the last decade.
Must be roids.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Iowa...WAAAHH. It's round, it bounced, and I am sure met NCAA specs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... reet-ball/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now Wisconsin is complaining about the Under Armour ball and they have not even lost to the Terps yet. Even better..Wisconsin will be Protecting the House next year (but have a clause to use another ball if they want).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... asketball/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Iowa...WAAAHH. It's round, it bounced, and I am sure met NCAA specs.
Now Wisconsin is complaining about the Under Armour ball and they have not even lost to the Terps yet. Even better..Wisconsin will be Protecting the House next year (but have a clause to use another ball if they want).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... asketball/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yet somehow, millions of people around the world today will play pickup ball with whatever ball happens to be around and is deemed "best" by the guys playing.
Totally Kafkaesque
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
The best part is the jabs at the NCAA.

"But it’s an amateur sport, we’re just here for fun. It’s not really that serious. So I guess any ball should be okay."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm just getting caught up...how did that Wisconsin game with freakyball end up?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

La Salle with the rare net gain 5 win season with our AD "stepping down".
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but from my experience with soccer if you go introducing a different weight and texture it can definitely have an effect. At Hopkins, especially on the old shitty turf, we'd play with a very pumped up ball which compounded control issues for visiting teams. I basically played goalie almost like a sweeper, because teams playing route one style would pretty routinely hit their long ball too hard and it would roll right to me.

I never played basketball at a high level, so I have no idea if this is analogous.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't imagine how it wouldn't be. Seams on a baseball vary, not team to team or anything, but it would be silly to pretend those seams didn't affect pitchers.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but from my experience with soccer if you go introducing a different weight and texture it can definitely have an effect. At Hopkins, especially on the old shitty turf, we'd play with a very pumped up ball which compounded control issues for visiting teams. I basically played goalie almost like a sweeper, because teams playing route one style would pretty routinely hit their long ball too hard and it would roll right to me.

I never played basketball at a high level, so I have no idea if this is analogous.
Yeah, it can make a difference, but I still think it's overblown. It does seem to me that soccer balls seem to vary more than basketballs (usually in how pumped up they are). A good basketball that isn't worn too much is usually pretty damn similar to another good basketball. Especially when you consider that these teams generally practice for days with the opposing team's ball before games, it just seems like a weak argument.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but from my experience with soccer if you go introducing a different weight and texture it can definitely have an effect. At Hopkins, especially on the old shitty turf, we'd play with a very pumped up ball which compounded control issues for visiting teams. I basically played goalie almost like a sweeper, because teams playing route one style would pretty routinely hit their long ball too hard and it would roll right to me.

Yeah, it can make a difference, but I still think it's overblown. It does seem to me that soccer balls seem to vary more than basketballs (usually in how pumped up they are). A good basketball that isn't worn too much is usually pretty damn similar to another good basketball. Especially when you consider that these teams generally practice for days with the opposing team's ball before games, it just seems like a weak argument.
Yeah I have to bet that the view near the hoop is a bigger factor (i.e. shooting a free throw or 3 in Xfinity Center is probably a bit different visually than Hinkle Fieldhouse...let alone an NFL Stadium for the Final Four or some Aircraft carrier in a early season gimmick game)