Thanksgiving 2022/2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: Thanksgiving 2022

Post by GoodKarma »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:25 pm If y'all loved Thanksgiving food so much y'all woul'd eat it more than once a fucking year.
This. Although growing up my family insisted on serving the exact same meal on Christmas Day as well so it was reliving a nightmare 5 weeks later.

A few years ago my wife was out of the country for Thanksgiving so I grilled a steak and had a leftover pizza…greatest day ever.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, Smartypants 1 and 2, we absolutely use a variation of it throughout the year... I'm pretty much OK with mashed potatoes and gravy with chicken or turkey breast, especially in the winter months, as a regular staple.

It's slightly psychotic to regularly spend most of 2 days cooking a single meal. So... Stick that in turkey and smoke it!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And, GC, I absolutely agree with the whole "let's do the same meal" 5 weeks later. We (my wife and I) have implemented a different meat to be carved -- roast beef. Which is amazing and very different than T'giving.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:51 pm I'm a vegetarian with cheat days and Thanksgiving is a cheat day but I just learned that the hosts are pescatarian so it looks like it's fucking fish for dinner :/
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wonder how that movie has aged.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:08 pmAlthough growing up my family insisted on serving the exact same meal on Christmas Day as well so it was reliving a nightmare 5 weeks later.
Irish heritage?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:33 pm I wonder how that movie has aged.
Incredibly. I think especially with hindsight one of the best movies of the 21st century.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I will probably make what are essentially Thanksgiving meals six more times out of the leftovers. I hope the gravy lasts as long as everything else.

Unrelated: probably because I regularly see hungry people when I deliver meals-on-wheels (and give away any extras), I am put off when people say they throw out good food “because they don’t want leftovers.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:54 pm I will probably make what are essentially Thanksgiving meals six more times out of the leftovers. I hope the gravy lasts as long as everything else.

Unrelated: probably because I regularly see hungry people when I deliver meals-on-wheels (and give away any extras), I am put off when people say they throw out good food “because they don’t want leftovers.”
We definitely don’t do that. I’m in the minority over here with my opinion on leftovers.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:42 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:33 pm I wonder how that movie has aged.
Incredibly. I think especially with hindsight one of the best movies of the 21st century.
That’s great to hear. Been a decade-plus at least since I’ve watched it. Need to give it a go soon.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:30 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:54 pm I will probably make what are essentially Thanksgiving meals six more times out of the leftovers. I hope the gravy lasts as long as everything else.

We definitely don’t do that. I’m in the minority over here with my opinion on leftovers.
I've been doing the sandwich / burrito route for leftovers the past year or so. It's actually pretty fun to roll up last night's dinner into a burrito. It's very rare for leftovers to get tossed in my house. If it happens, it's because we forgot something that got pushed back in the fridge.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:50 pm

I've been doing the sandwich / burrito route for leftovers the past year or so. It's actually pretty fun to roll up last night's dinner into a burrito. It's very rare for leftovers to get tossed in my house. If it happens, it's because we forgot something that got pushed back in the fridge.
I'm all in on the Thanksgiving burrito, thanks for the idea.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

[INSERT VOMIT EMOJI]
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:16 pm

[INSERT VOMIT EMOJI]
I wouldn't recommend putting vomit in a burrito, and to be clear, I'm not saying eat more of what made you sick, either.

Seriously though...bone-in chicken, fingerling potatoes, asparagus and squash in some hippie-dippy sauce my wife made? Why the hell not?
The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 pm I'm all in on the Thanksgiving burrito, thanks for the idea.
YW - Cranberry sauce makes a $$ dressing on whatever concoction you throw in it. CB sauce is particularly useful if you're dealing with smaller tacos instead of the bigger burritos.

eta: where gravy has more room to roam..
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:30 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:08 pmAlthough growing up my family insisted on serving the exact same meal on Christmas Day as well so it was reliving a nightmare 5 weeks later.
Irish heritage?
Not at all…mostly German and a little Polish.
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 pm

I'm all in on the Thanksgiving burrito, thanks for the idea.
The Thanksrito
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:25 pm If y'all loved Thanksgiving food so much y'all woul'd eat it more than once a fucking year.
Well, now that a Capriotti's is finally opening in Tucson I will.

Anyhoo, now that I'm settled down and not living somewhere else away from everyone, we're hosting along with friends of ours. (We live down the road from each other.)

In total, there's like 17 of us. 7 are kids. It should be a fun day. I think there's going to be a ton of food. I'm doing my basic as fuck 'Thanksgiving Maize.' Super easy and delicious. Got this recipe from a CD like 20 years ago:

https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/ ... 2132.shtml
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Half a cup of margarine? Isn’t that shit industrial waste sold off as food after s campaign to villainize butter? I don’t recall ever seeing margarine in a recipe
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:41 am Half a cup of margarine? Isn’t that shit industrial waste sold off as food after s campaign to villainize butter? I don’t recall ever seeing margarine in a recipe
I'm using butter. Margarine is bullshit.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:41 am Half a cup of margarine? Isn’t that shit industrial waste sold off as food after s campaign to villainize butter? I don’t recall ever seeing margarine in a recipe
I'm using butter. Margarine is bullshit.
This take is zero Kelvin. The fact that it was invented in France, the culinary capital of the West, is mind-boggling.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Charcuterie at 6pm tomorrow, dinner at 7.

This is late, right?

And why have charcuterie an hour before Thanksgiving dinner?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:13 pm Charcuterie at 6pm tomorrow, dinner at 7.

This is late, right?

Yes...the meal time is egregious but the charcuterie an hour before is the bigger problem. Is someone trying to get people in and out ASAP?
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:13 pm Charcuterie at 6pm tomorrow, dinner at 7.

This is late, right?

Yes. And charcuterie is basically shoehorned into everything these days.

My Italian upbringing dictated that food was available from like 9:30 am on with late breakfast leading into antipasto and cold cuts to pasta (typically a really awesome lasagna) with sides and then turkey and more sides thereafter. Then you'd eat some leftovers in prep for the dessert with espresso around 10/10:30 pm.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Depends whether you do the limit yourself before dinner or full game snacks and beer prior to dinner. On you to start the chartcuterie about noon-3 and watch football and footy. Flattery over the tray may help. Just be that guy and get it started for they know not what they do
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:32 pm We are hosting our daughter and her boyfriend, wife’s cousin’s daughter and her wife, the disapproving cousin/mother, my wife’s very religious brother, and my wife’s sister who never stops talking.

What could go wrong? I’ll be the drunk one watching football.
The family drama is already starting a bit. My wife’s cousin, who lives 45 minutes from us, is going on a “photo safari” vacation in Africa in early December. She is trying to offset jet lag by pre-adjusting her sleep schedule, so she said she has to leave our home by 3:00 to get to bed early. So, to accommodate her, we are planning to eat at 1:00, if everything is on schedule (fine with me!) But, going on past experience, odds are long on us meeting that schedule.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Happy Thanksgiving guys!
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:25 pm She is trying to offset jet lag by pre-adjusting her sleep schedule, so she said she has to leave our home by 3:00 to get to bed early.
Has anyone told her that's insane?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Happy Thanksgiving, fellas!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

-Made it west to the Pittsburgh area last evening with no disasters
-Everyone in our family finds everything our annoying ass puppy does to be completely hilarious. Hopefully with only a 3 night stay it stays that way.
-5K done, sub 22 which is good enough to not get too pissed but I was still about 40 seconds slower than the one I ran in last year
-Gonna shower and then start drinking

Happy thanksgiving you guys.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:09 am
sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:25 pm She is trying to offset jet lag by pre-adjusting her sleep schedule, so she said she has to leave our home by 3:00 to get to bed early.
Has anyone told her that's insane?
Ha! I think part of her aim is just to make sure everyone knows she’s going on vacation to Africa.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A half hour before she leaves, you should quietly ask her if the whispers are true that its an orgy trip.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It was in the lower 30s when I ran this morning but it’s gorgeous sit on the back porch almost the 60s weather right about now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

3951EE35-37A9-4D55-83C1-7804F11500CE.jpeg
3951EE35-37A9-4D55-83C1-7804F11500CE.jpeg (194.59 KiB) Viewed 248 times
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:14 pm It was in the lower 30s when I ran this morning but it’s gorgeous sit on the back porch almost the 60s weather right about now.
First three walks of the dog today had three different coats.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:15 pm 3951EE35-37A9-4D55-83C1-7804F11500CE.jpeg
What beer is that! I see Kane, but dont recognize the color.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:57 pm
rass wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:15 pm 3951EE35-37A9-4D55-83C1-7804F11500CE.jpeg
What beer is that! I see Kane, but dont recognize the color.
Hiding from rush
[+] spoiler
A pumpkin chai latte IPA
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Could you retype that as
[+] spoiler
“chai pumpkin latte IPA”
so I can … and make it less gross?