World Cup For Soccer Idiots

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: World Cup For Soccer Idiots

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:09 am J-Lo, you know I skew slightly pessimistic ; ) and I felt amazing throughout almost the entire match, save maybe the last 10:00 of each half. I know exactly what can happen against Iran because I’ve seen Greggggggg do it before, but I also see a path to me arguing we have a very good shot at the Netherlands in the knockouts. This was a really good draw, not a hang on for dear life draw. The kids carrying it versus relying on the dopey MLS subs felt like a huge moment for the program.
I don't really even know what most of that means but I'm glad for anything that can temporarily quell your pessimism. You're a bit of a drag. :-)

I feel like the thing that Enoch said is going to happen.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

British tabloids agree with J-Lo.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sure it was boring for them, after the slight scare very early in the game, they didn't do shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:45 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:10 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 pm
duff wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:51 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:51 pm I don't know, you guys. Watching that doesn't feel to you at all like just a complete and utter slog?
You still watch the steelers, right?
Haven't missed a game in like 25 years. Not only that, but I play tennis from 7-8:30 eastern every Thursday night. I not only have every TNF game set to record on Amazon, but when I get home, I watch them from the beginning so I don't miss a play.

I think it's because offensive progress just feels so much more permanent in this football.

It's almost definitely an ADHD thing. Probably why it took me so long to get into hockey as well.
I totally get why the casual fan has a hard time watching soccer. There are so many minor little strategic moves going on that are very easy to miss. Not knowing the players makes it much less compelling, too. I love the beauty of the game, I get excited by creative passes that split defenders or when players try something unexpected and pull it off. Goals in soccer are incredibly exciting because they are rare. It's hard to get excited about a score in basketball. It's my favorite sport, but if you don't have the patience for it, I totally understand that.
So the thing is I think I actually see the game fine. I played a couple years as a kid. I can see where there are openings and how there are chances you need to take to score and certainly the risk of flipping possession by not executing the those passes as opposed to the safer ones. I see the lanes. I see the risks for not executing those passes. I see how ridiculously precise you have to be to hit those lanes using only the extremity without the opposable thumbs. They just never seem to manifest themselves in anything beneficial or damning or even exciting.

But of course, I'm well aware I'm in the minority not only here but fucking globally, so I'm glad you guys have a thing you like because you're all wonderful and you deserve that.
My B-i-L was here with the family and they were pretty into it. I watched, but I warned them that every time I watch a World Cup game, it ends in a 0-0 draw. I was catching up on some proofreading for work and would look up when one of them seemed to get excited, then laugh when nothing happened. I feel like I try to get into it, but when nobody scores for 95 minutes, I just feel like it's time wasted. I'm with you, J-Lo. Watch what brings you joy. I'm sure there's plenty of you who couldn't give a shit about baseball, but that's my thing. Maybe I'll try to watch some Premier League after this is over to see the best there is and look to find a team or player to connect with. (From my quick research, maybe Leeds since they have Philly-area guy Aaronson)
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Leeds is a good choice if you like high scoring. They play a super high pressure defensive tactic and get beat a lot. Vet fun to watch and they also gave Tyler Adams. Two Americans getting a ton of minutes.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The last time Wales beat England was at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham (in 1984).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Okay, that was sweet.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That looks like a hard knee to the nuts. Beautiful goal.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wait, there's no subs?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:43 pm Wait, there's no subs?
You get five, but once a guy comes off he's done. That's why they really don't want to take him off unless there is no way he can go.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What's offside? Ball has to be in the rectangle before any players?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm What's offside? Ball has to be in the rectangle before any players?
Oh boy. So the gist is that the offensive player cannot be further towards the goal than two players on the defense when the ball was played forward (towards the goal). one of these two is usually the goalkeeper but not always. Has to be across midfield as well. Can't be offside in your own defending half.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Saw this over the weekend about the offside rule
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/i ... world-cup/
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

These geniuses have it all figured out...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Holy shit, I didn't realize that was Adam Carolla until I read some comments.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

What podcasts should I be listening to other than MiB?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

guardian's football weekly
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Total Soccer Show
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If you want super-specific to the US MNT, 11 Yanks, Tactical Manager and FIFAmerica are all pretty good. I actually like the last one the best, just because he's not typically dog on a bone about a player or the manager.

Though, all 3 pretty universally have trouble giving credit where it's due when it comes to Gregg (GGG) Berhalter, the US coach/manager.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:07 pm If you want super-specific to the US MNT, 11 Yanks, Tactical Manager and FIFAmerica are all pretty good. I actually like the last one the best, just because he's not typically dog on a bone about a player or the manager.

Though, all 3 pretty universally have trouble giving credit where it's due when it comes to Gregg (GGG) Berhalter, the US coach/manager.
because he fucking sucks
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I wrote this up for the D3 soccer board I'm on, when someone was saying Berhalter stinks:

Things that folks should give credit to GGG for:

* Tim mf'ing Ream. Dude has been on the outside looking in for what seems like a decade. Too slow, many of the analysts and fans said. Meanwhile he is a rock for an EPL side. He has been absolutely lights out this tournament.

* Bringing on Carter-Vickers. Zimmerman was a step slow on a few occasions the first 2 games, gave up a pretty bad penalty in the first. He is also a problem with ball at his feet. ENG clearly targeted him on their press... Every time he touched the ball, someone was right there closing him down and it led to a lot nervy situations. CV was outstanding yesterday.

* Starting lineups, formation. We have started all three games in an attacking stance and have looked pretty dangerous. We had close to 60 percent possession in the first half yesterday.

* We have played 3 games and given up 1 goal, none in the run of play.

Some things I would question/gripe about:

* Gio. Not sure what he did to get into the doghouse, but I'm not sure why he's not even coming off the bench sooner. While Pulisic says he's ready to go for Saturday, I doubt it. Need to get Reyna on the pitch.

* Formation, stance in the second halves. Wales was really the most glaring example of GGG not making the proper adjustment. Got way too passive. I think it was fine going into a 442 against ENG in the second half... seemed to kind of put them off for a good bit.

But, yesterday... Going 442 up 1-0 is fine. Slightly more defensive, but still allows you to quick strike on the counter. But going 541 with 15 minutes left (and you know at least 5 in stoppage - turned out to be 9) was just unnecessary. You're just asking for some nonsense at that point and Iran really could've scored at least twice in the final moments.

That said... And I've been critical of GGG in many instances. I'd grade him out at a B. The belief, grit and determination of this group of young guns is palpable. That is cultural, and it doesn't just happen with the players. It's a deliberate approach and GGG and the rest of the staff should get credit for that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

D-

I loathe him
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

His subs yesterday (other than zimmerman) and approach in the last 25 especially was fucking insane. They were lucky as hell that they didn't give up the equalizer and find themselves going home. That's on him. Shit approach, shit subs, he fucking sucks. Fuck him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:00 pmThat said... And I've been critical of GGG in many instances. I'd grade him out at a B.
If Taremi's shot squeezes through Turner's legs a little bit harder, what does that grade become or does it hold at B?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:14 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:00 pmThat said... And I've been critical of GGG in many instances. I'd grade him out at a B.
If Taremi's shot squeezes through Turner's legs a little bit harder, what does that grade become or does it hold at B?
I think I'd be closer to TB if we didn't get the result. That's just the way sports grading works. But, you're right. The second half stuff is really really annoying.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:37 pm Holy shit, I didn't realize that was Adam Carolla until I read some comments.
He's turned into Morty Seinfeld...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:43 am What podcasts should I be listening to other than MiB?
I regularly listen to:

Guardian Football Weekly
Total Football Show (from the Athletic)
Stadio (from TheRinger)

And I've recently picked up the Athletic Football Tactics podcast.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:43 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:37 pm Holy shit, I didn't realize that was Adam Carolla until I read some comments.
He's turned into Morty Seinfeld...

I would have also accepted Elliott Gould in Ocean’s Eleven
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm His subs yesterday (other than zimmerman) and approach in the last 25 especially was fucking insane. They were lucky as hell that they didn't give up the equalizer and find themselves going home. That's on him. Shit approach, shit subs, he fucking sucks. Fuck him.
I'm with TB here. We won in spite of GGG's decisions, not because of them. Incredibly dangerous using the final 2 subs on defensive guys. If Iran scored in the final 15 minutes or whatever it was if you include injury time, we had no options going forward and were stuck with Acosta and a dead Musah in midfield and Wright looked horrendous. I do give him credit for CCV, that worked out well. I think his tactic of involving the fullbacks up high was great, Robinson was phenomenal and Adams had the game of his life getting back to cover when the fullbacks were caught up. Instead of bringing on Acosta (who played well), I wish he brought on Reyna and moved Aaronson into McKennie's spot. Brenden can play defensively and bring more into the attack. I appreciate the need to pack it in and not take any chances, but the way we dominated in the first half, we could have tried for more possession and playing higher up. Bunkering down for 30 minutes rarely works, and there were several near misses that easily could have gone in. 1 goal isn't enough to sit on in a must win game, GGG was much more lucky than good.

I give credit to Tim Ream for playing himself back into the team. GGG couldn't ignore him, especially after Miles Robinson and Chris Richards went down, and whatever the reasoning is for keeping Brooks out. Ream isn't the same player he was 3 or 4 years ago, which is shocking for a 35 year old to suddenly get better, but he has been phenomenal for Fulham this year. Now that I think about it, I wonder if he is taking some sort of PEDs.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Imagine if we're up a goal at the half against Netherlands on Saturday?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 pm Imagine if we're up a goal at the half against Netherlands on Saturday?
Berhalter may put himself in.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Didn't know he was on an MLS roster ; )
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Hey, you guys should check out this soccer game. It's wild!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pretty much a dozen or more games that are the best advertisement for the sport you could hope for.

Most goals ever scored at a WC. This, for my money, is the best version in my (cognizant) lifetime.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I dunno. Is it just me, or is anyone else dismayed from the fact that half the goals came from weak - though correctly called - penalties?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 pm I dunno. Is it just me, or is anyone else dismayed from the fact that half the goals came from weak - though correctly called - penalties?
They're not weak calls because you have to look at positioning. Dembele let a guy get by him then stupidly chased him from behind and clipped him. Dembele was so out of sorts he got subbed before halftime. Otamendi pulled a guy back from behind. In fact, that should be a foul even if the guy doesn't go down (like defensive holding in football) but refs never call it UNLESS the guy goes down. That's why players have to fall. And finally, the last one was a clear hand ball, you can't use your arms to make yourself bigger nd block space.

The ref had a fantastic game, especially he didn't fall for Thuram's dive late in the 2nd half.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

degenerasian wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:12 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 pm I dunno. Is it just me, or is anyone else dismayed from the fact that half the goals came from weak - though correctly called - penalties?
They're not weak calls because you have to look at positioning. Dembele let a guy get by him then stupidly chased him from behind and clipped him. Dembele was so out of sorts he got subbed before halftime. Otamendi pulled a guy back from behind. In fact, that should be a foul even if the guy doesn't go down (like defensive holding in football) but refs never call it UNLESS the guy goes down. That's why players have to fall. And finally, the last one was a clear hand ball, you can't use your arms to make yourself bigger nd block space.

The ref had a fantastic game, especially he didn't fall for Thuram's dive late in the 2nd half.
When you consider that the result of a penalty is a near-certain goal, they were weak penalties. None of the fouls interferes with clear chances, nor were they particularly vicious or cynical. Yes, they were correctly called penalties under the rules. But none of them deserves goals being gifted to the victims.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:19 pm
degenerasian wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:12 pm

When you consider that the result of a penalty is a near-certain goal, they were weak penalties. None of the fouls interferes with clear chances, nor were they particularly vicious or cynical. Yes, they were correctly called penalties under the rules. But none of them deserves goals being gifted to the victims.
Sure but those are the rules. I think we get caught up on, is the penalty deserved or not? When in fact a penalty is just a foul that occurs in the box.

But I think those are clear. Di Maria is going into the box when Dembele clips him. Otamendi is clearly holding Kolo Muani back. Again, he shouldn't have to fall. And finally that's a handball in the box, clear as can be.

As for your argument of an automatic goal, they really should move the spot back a yard or two. But then the field wouldn't look so pretty and symetrical.

Or...

Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..