Fantasy Football 2023 General Discussion, Advice, etc.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Fantasy Football 2023 General Discussion, Advice, etc.

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:53 am I laugh that yahoo’s default player rankings put all the quarterbacks at the top of the list. Some guy’s gonna auto-draft and get some fine quarterbacks, but shit everywhere else.
In DSafe’s league, a guy went auto draft and ended up with 5 TEs. He was on the end in a snake, went back-to-back TEs for his 4th and 5th.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:57 am
sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:53 am I laugh that yahoo’s default player rankings put all the quarterbacks at the top of the list. Some guy’s gonna auto-draft and get some fine quarterbacks, but shit everywhere else.
In DSafe’s league, a guy went auto draft and ended up with 5 TEs. He was on the end in a snake, went back-to-back TEs for his 4th and 5th.
Jeez us. That's hilarious and awful.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:21 pm
I just looked at that list because I may have to auto-draft for The Bensell League. They literally just listed every player by expected fantasy points with no regards to positional scarcity, so QBs are 30 of the first 32 slots. Hell, Kyler Murray is in the top 40 according to them.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It was indeed genuinely hilarious.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:57 pm
It was indeed genuinely hilarious.
An upgrade of the old version, which was an entire bench made purely of kickers.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I love that he made 2 FA moves on the first day, but kept all 5 TEs. Leverage for a trade if someone has a TE injury? Someone is going to have to pay big for Greg Dulcich or Juwan Johnson!
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:45 pm I love that he made 2 FA moves on the first day, but kept all 5 TEs. Leverage for a trade if someone has a TE injury? Someone is going to have to pay big for Greg Dulcich or Juwan Johnson!
It's extra hilarious. Like, no one is dealing for a TE, friend.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jake Ferguson, Irv Smith and Noah Fant are still available on waivers in that league - like, they are all serviceable and will be picked up before anyone would deal anything of value for a TE he is accidentally hoarding...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

If I were "that guy" I would deal my best TE for the biggest need in the lineup. I'd then deal the third best TE for that guys backup.

But then again, autodraft suggests he wasn't that serious anyway?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I feel like there's a specific way to set up priorities for auto draft and this guy just had no idea how to do it.

Or it's possible it isn't clear enough how to do it either.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:51 pm Jake Ferguson, Irv Smith and Noah Fant are still available on waivers in that league - like, they are all serviceable and will be picked up before anyone would deal anything of value for a TE he is accidentally hoarding...
I was joking about trading. As for Johnnie’s idea, his best TE is Goedert, so IMO the last of the desirables. Kelce or Andrews I could see, not Goedert.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

This owner does the same thing in the draft every year.

This owner also has a career win percentage in the league just under .050 higher than Sybian, including .088 better than Sybian since the latter joined eight years ago, including five playoff appearances and a title to Sybian's... one playoff appearance.

This owner is also 7-0 against Sybian.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:21 am This owner does the same thing in the draft every year.

This owner also has a career win percentage in the league just under .050 higher than Sybian, including .088 better than Sybian since the latter joined eight years ago, including five playoff appearances and a title to Sybian's... one playoff appearance.

That's why I love this league, brutal, well researched writeups. I can't believe it's been 8 years!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:21 am This owner does the same thing in the draft every year.

That's why I love this league, brutal, well researched writeups. I can't believe it's been 8 years!
I think I mentioned it last year, but I tried doing some similar stuff in the league I commish and I didn't get past week 3. It's very impressive.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I go all out for my league.

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And of course I now notice an error in a 2022 table, damn it
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I didn't want to say anything...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The post-draft missive will hopefully get sent out in time for the holiday weekend.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I presume the autodraft TE team got a way better draft grade than cbs assigned my effort…D.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Bensell league drafting in a few hours - working on back to back last place finishes in my division in that league since joining…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:54 pm I presume the autodraft TE team got a way better draft grade than cbs assigned my effort…D.
I input my team on some random website's grading system and they gave me a C- with a likely 6-7 record.

When I looked category by category, all A and B+ except for QB, which was a D. Basically, since I didn't draft Mahomes, Allen, or Hurts that tanked everything.

I then closed the tab and asked myself "Why do I give a fuck about any of this? It's for fun."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:55 pm Bensell league drafting in a few hours - working on back to back last place finishes in my division in that league since joining…
You’ve only been in there for a season?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:57 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:55 pm Bensell league drafting in a few hours - working on back to back last place finishes in my division in that league since joining…
You’ve only been in there for a season?
No, I’ve finished last in the division twice. Trying to avoid a three-peat of bad.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

You've also opened up as a two-point underdog in your quest to not go 0-8 against him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:36 am

You've also opened up as a two-point underdog in your quest to not go 0-8 against him.
So what you are saying is I should autodraft next year?
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:15 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:36 am

So what you are saying is I should autodraft next year?
Sure. Then you wouldn’t have to miss Burning Man!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm picking 9th out of 12 tonight and pretty much after the 2nd round, I'm going to be in "just follow the rankings" mode. Not great!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm in the second year of a league where my wife also has a team. I'm now the exception to the rule "fantasy sports doesn't get you laid" after helping her navigate a trade for CeeDee Lamb so she doesn't have to rename her team and for naming my team Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Okonkwo complete with a NKOTB avatar.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:25 pm I'm in the second year of a league where my wife also has a team. I'm now the exception to the rule "fantasy sports doesn't get you laid" after helping her navigate a trade for CeeDee Lamb so she doesn't have to rename her team and for naming my team Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Okonkwo complete with a NKOTB avatar.
My wife is a 49ers fan. Team name is Brock's got a Purdy Mouth. We do not have Brock Purdy on our team.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Our fantasy league has been going since 1992. That predates "standard" online scoring and rules. Thus, we have a number of rules in our league that are not standard. One of which is that our waivers don't start until after week one is complete. The guy who drafted Travis Kelce did not draft a backup tight end. So, everybody is trying to see what he'll give up in trade for random backup tight ends.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:59 pm Our fantasy league has been going since 1992. That predates "standard" online scoring and rules. Thus, we have a number of rules in our league that are not standard. One of which is that our waivers don't start until after week one is complete. The guy who drafted Travis Kelce did not draft a backup tight end. So, everybody is trying to see what he'll give up in trade for random backup tight ends.
I know a guy he should talk to
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:38 pm]My wife is a 49ers fan. Team name is Brock's got a Purdy Mouth. We do not have Brock Purdy on our team.
Is Brock’s Purdy Mouth a little less clunky?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:45 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:38 pm]My wife is a 49ers fan. Team name is Brock's got a Purdy Mouth. We do not have Brock Purdy on our team.
Is Brock’s Purdy Mouth a little less clunky?
Probably, but I wanted something closer to the actual quote.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

😐

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Slotting Skyy Moore into one of my teams to cover Christian Watson potentially not playing this weekend...BAD idea.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I know the point of fantasy football is to draft for consistency every week, but it always makes me chuckle when players like Brandon Aiyuk (9th round) and Tyler Allgeier (undrafted) are top points getters like they are today.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Going into SNF tonight in my league there was a matchup where Team 1 had 116.22 with Saquon and Team 2 had 64.06 with the Dallas D/ST & Tony Pollard.

Final score:

Team 1 125.52
Team 2 121.26

It was kinda fun watching to see if Team 2 could pull it out. (Team 2 also had Tua on the bench because he started Lamar Jackson. Big Ooof there too.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kinda bummed to learn that my league's waiver priority resets every week based on worst team to best.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma for Thursday. I have Kirk Cousins and the Philly Defense.

Do I start my backup (Anthony Richardson, playing Houston) or just let it ride?

I am trying to keep my bench as robust as possible for the next inevitable injury, so I don't want to drop anyone for a spot start defense.