College Football 2013 Week 1

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

it's been a long week

Post by cerrano »

the notre dame-navy game has been a back-and-forth affair all afternoon. very entertaining. this game will go to the team who's holding the ball at the end of regulation.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
howard
Karl Hungus

Is This The Only College Football Thread?

Post by howard »

Nice piece on Oregon's coach on the wwlis: Oregon hums along under Helfrich

One thing great about Bellotti's legacy is a habit of promoting guys to the top job whose pedigree is not purely big-time football, and then those guys having national success. Bellotti from UC Davis>>Chico State>>Eugene; Chip Kelly from New Hampshire>>Columbia for goodness sakes>>UNH again>>Oregon; and now Helfrich, from Southern Oregon>>Boise State and Colorado from being hooked up with another UC Davis guy Dan Hawkins (ok, not everyone on the Aggie branch of the coaching tree has had wild success: see Paul Hackett).

I am interested to see how the younger coaches launched from Bellotti/Nick Alioti fare in the future. As UC Davis football fortunes fade with the jump to D-1 (FCS), all we old timers have is our coaching tree.

ETA: as long as I am ranting about the good old days, this coaching branch leads back to Vic Rowan, coach at San Francisco State for like 30 years. He ran the West Coast Offense in the 50s and 60s. He started Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Dick Koetter (OC at Atlanta, former head coach at Boise_ and Bob Toledo in coaching, as well as UC Davis longtime coach Jim Sochor (who birthed Hackett, Bellotti, Hawkins and Chris Peterson, current Boise coach). Oh, and even though he never coached at SF State, Bill Walsh and Rowen were close friends and Walsh credits Rowan as the intellectual father of his Niners offense. There is some Sid Gilman cross-pollination in there as well, but I fear I am becoming tedious.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Re: College Football 2013 Week 1

Post by Giff »

Headed to the Baylor/OU tilt tonight. Can't believe they're #6.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto