The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Post by Shirley »

I just watched. I really liked it. High tension throughout.

My one beef - and I think it's a pretty big one - where the fuck is the Governor and why wasn't anyone else asking that question? Shouldn't that have been among the first things discussed between Rick and Tyrese? I assumed Guv had gone back to Woodbury, but maybe not? Surely Tyrese would have known.

I suppose that since they were able to load a bus of zombie meals and take it back the prison, Guv and Friends did NOT go back to Woodbury, but would it have been so hard to let us know?

And why wouldn't he go back? He was just going to lie about what happened anyway and blame it on the prison monsters. Where the fuck else would he go with just those two guys? Why the hell would you NOT go back to your protected town even if it's much less protected now?

Gah. BTW, I kind of like how they riff on the comic settings - same or similar situations, but different outcomes ... however the comic's take on the prison attack and the subsequent turning on the Governor of his people was much better than this one. As Johnnie pointed out, it was a bit difficult to believe he could gun all of those people down. Had they turned in their guns somewhere?

Still, sloppy writing aside, it was a fun, tense episode. I like the ambiguity of the Carl situation. Yes, he absolutely killed that kid in cold blood, HOWEVER, the kid most certainly had not dropped his weapon and the old "I'll hand it to you trick" should never be trusted. Still, that was a Governor-type decision by Carl, not a Rick-type decision.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Image
That's pretty damned funny.

I reallly wanted Kimbo to shoot the Governor right then and there.

And I still don't understand where they went or why, unless they went back to the prison and are staking it out. Actually, now that I think about it, it's the only thing that makes sense, considering he shot all those other cowards for leaving.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

howard wrote:That is how I wanna roll. Driving a white-trash muscle car; drinkin' crap whiskey; listening to Motörhead.
I'm wondering about that whole scene. As a middle aged white supremacist I do believe that Merle was a Motörhead fan but I'm questioning that anyone that owned a car like that would drive out with car intact from a Motörhead concert. Looks like more an ICP vehicle with those rims. Any Faygo bottles rolling around on the floor boards while Merle was hotwiring it?

I suppose Merle could have been carrying around a Motörhead 8 track for just such an occasion.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That's funny right there.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I see you're three hours ahead of me on Reddit....
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Perfect for a night the Warriors are up by 20 (they can't blow a big lead like that, right?)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

howard wrote:Perfect for a night the Warriors are up by 20 (they can't blow a big lead like that, right?)
Have you read the books?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Nope. And I think I've read this comic. Is this the one that they printed in Playboy a few months ago? (That was the first Playboy I'd bought in like 20 years, I must've thrown it out.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

howard wrote:Nope. And I think I've read this comic. Is this the one that they printed in Playboy a few months ago? (That was the first Playboy I'd bought in like 20 years, I must've thrown it out.)
I think the Michonne story was printed (according to the Reddit thread where I found this) a while back.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That was interesting. Obviously, it's more useful if you've read the comics, but even if not, I think it gives you a good taste of what they're like. If you like the show, you'll like the comics. They're better written, I think. I bit darker, but also a bit more self-consistent.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, I had read the Michionne story before, I think in that Playboy. The other stories were new to me. These are the only comics I've read; one day I'll get to the books. Maybe this summer on the beach.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shown at ComiCon in San Diego. A new 4 and a half minute season 4 trailer.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/07/the-wa ... t-trailer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I'm purposely avoiding things like that. 4 minutes out of an hour-long show? Might as well show the entire episode afaic.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

ZMan wrote:I'm purposely avoiding things like that. 4 minutes out of an hour-long show? Might as well show the entire episode afaic.

That could be 4 minutes taken from 5 different episodes. Did they say it was from one episode? I'm sure they've shot a few episodes already. How many times can I say episode?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:Shown at ComiCon in San Diego. A new 4 and a half minute season 4 trailer.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/07/the-wa ... t-trailer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome.

And Horses again.

But mostly awesome.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:Maggie in Maxim
Who decided that grannie panties were hot?
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Shown at ComiCon in San Diego. A new 4 and a half minute season 4 trailer.

Wow, that looks great. I must have missed this when I was in England.

It looks like they are finally diverging from the comics and taking it on their own path. That's the right call. the world they've created is intriguing enough - there are a million stories you could tell, so you don't need to cling to the comic storyline. TV is different.

I hope the show is as good as that trailer.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The sequence in the Big Spot was as cool an action scene as the show has ever done.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Did anyone else call out Beth's new boyfriend playing the part of Ensign RedShirt as quickly as I did? He was on camera for 8 seconds and I turned to my buddy and said "RedShirt". He picked alky black guy. I won this round!

Seriously, great episode. Did Beth hug Daryl just a half a second short of making it a little pedo?

Has Rick gone that soft that he didn't turn around and immediately execute stabby Irish woman?

Who is going to play Milhouse for Carl now that Glasses McFever is a walker?

So many questions!!!

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote:He picked alky black guy. I won this round!
Yeah, but the odds were in your friend's favor. You know the show can't sustain two black guys.

Although the preview trailer makes it look like alky black guy is going to replace way-too-damned-nice black guy soon.

Time to start bitching about plot holes now, though. Zombies have been shuffling around the roof of that store for months, but the roof just completely falls apart the hour they arrive?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Time to start bitching about plot holes now, though. Zombies have been shuffling around the roof of that store for months, but the roof just completely falls apart the hour they arrive?
I chalked that up to the noises inside drawing them to one area and causing the rain of zombie. But that's a good question.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was all set to press 'send' on a post on alky black guy/red shirt. But this show is faithful to the number one rule of horror/drive in movies, as defined by Joe Bob Briggs: anyone can die at any moment. There was an instant in that sequence I thought Glenn was finished.

Come on, nobody is gonna make the "It's Raining Zombies" cheap joke? Fine. Just remember what the doormouse said: Feed Your Head.

(Eddie. Headdie. Headley. The jokes with 70s references write themselves.)

I liked the Harry Potter crossover, while it lasted. Or was it Where's Waldo? Millhouse is so 90s.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I knew I had one more dopey 70s reference joke. Rick's three questions:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:I knew I had one more dopey 70s reference joke. Rick's three questions:

Yeah, that's one that did jump right to my mind.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't know. It was ok and all, but I think Breaking Bad has kind of ruined me for serious shows now. This one just had so many cliches in the first few minutes - all of the people smiling and kissing. All they were missing was the old cop on his last day before retirement.

And the attempts at BB-style foreshadowing with the shots of the spider and the bugs just felt similarly ham-handed.

I had the same question as Steve about the suddenly flimsy roof. Come on. I mean, they made a point to show us those things walking all over the roof. Why were they now falling through all over? I'd get one or two holes, but they made dozens.

Sigh, I want to like this show and I guess I still do, but it also disappoints.

That said, the bleeding eyes death illness has me intrigued.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The roof (as well as the liquor shelf) was deteriorating from water damage. You hear the water leaking in as alky black guy is contemplating his next drink.

The noise of the liquor shelf falling attracts the zombies. They walk toward the sound, which is a weak spot. Three or four of them standing close to one another is enough of a load to cause the roof to fail.

Perhaps a more accurate portrayal would've been for three or four walkers to fall through the roof together initially.

I didn't have trouble with that scene, but I understand you guys' incredulity.

This new mode of death is gonna be nasty, I have a bad feeling.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:Perhaps a more accurate portrayal would've been for three or four walkers to fall through the roof together initially.
Yeah, I would have been cool with that. In fact, that's what I thought we were going to get - one hole with a lot of zombies falling through it. I think maybe the director couldn't then resist the thrill of having them fall through all over, even though that made no sense.

howard wrote:This new mode of death is gonna be nasty, I have a bad feeling.
Indeed.
Totally Kafkaesque
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Overall I enjoyed the episode, but I'm sure a lot of that was just relief to see it return finally.

Two aspects that bothered me...

1) Is Tyreese supposed to be this big of a pussy? Oh, I don't like stabbing zombies in the head from behind a fence, it feels wrong. FEELS. WRONG??? What the ever loving fuck is wrong with you dude?? Then later he realizes he doesn't like supply runs either. Yeah, OK Tyreese, you just sit over there and nurse your fucking emotions while the rest of the group does heavy lifting. Seriously, how the fuck did someone this soft survive? He makes Dale look ruthless.

2) Was the entire scene with the dumb McChick even necessary? First off, getting trapped in the airport shutdown on their honeymoon? Were they born, raised, and later married under a rock? Hey honey, I know the whole world is going to shit, but let's fly to Aruba!!
Second, all that walking and talking just for her to stab herself. Thanks, there's a good 13 min of my life I'll never retrieve. And don't even start with the ... Oh the character was necessary to help 'bring Rick back'. Rick's been back bitch, he's been back since he gave the old "We're back to a democracy, and not a Ricktatorship anymore" speech at the end of S3.
Finally, her stupid Irish lilt was believable for a series starring English, Aussie and Irish actors, but not for someone stranded in Hotlanta on their way to a honeymoon.

On the Talking Dead they mentioned things are really supposed to ramp up for Episodes 2 & 3, so I'm not totally griping. While I appreciate the set up aspect of this episode, based on all the hype I've been hearing I expected a little more action than a contrived Zombie rainstorm.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

ZMan wrote:On the Talking Dead they mentioned things are really supposed to ramp up for Episodes 2 & 3…
The most scared I got Sunday night (other than for Leyland's decisions) was producer and showrunner Scott Gimple repeatedly telling us 'just you wait'.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't need an hour of TV to let me know the virus mutated. Take a page from Vince Gilligan: hit you in the face at the beginning and then feel the hurt for the whole hour.

Episodes 2 & 3 better be better.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The virus is already airborne, right? I mean that's why you can turn without being bit. Are they actually proposing that the airborne virus will now affect living people?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm thinking it's a different pathogen. The zombie virus doesn't seem to affect animals, but apparently this one killed the pig. If it IS the same virus, you'd have to think that it's game over for the human species, because everyone is already infected, ... so I'm thinking it's not.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:I'm thinking it's a different pathogen. The zombie virus doesn't seem to affect animals, but apparently this one killed the pig. If it IS the same virus, you'd have to think that it's game over for the human species, because everyone is already infected, ... so I'm thinking it's not.
Is it the same thing that got the nerdy kid in the shower?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:I'm thinking it's a different pathogen. The zombie virus doesn't seem to affect animals, but apparently this one killed the pig. If it IS the same virus, you'd have to think that it's game over for the human species, because everyone is already infected, ... so I'm thinking it's not.
I'm assuming it is just a virulent form of the flu. It kills quick, and since everyone is also already infected with the Big Z...
Jerloma wrote:Is it the same thing that got the nerdy kid in the shower?
Fun fact: that kid was the voice of Phineas from Phineas and Ferb.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is so worth it.

Dale Face!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:Fun fact: that kid was the voice of Phineas from Phineas and Ferb.
We have different ideas of fun.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:
Is it the same thing that got the nerdy kid in the shower?
Well, the nerdy kid died of the bloody-eye sickness, same as at least one of the zombies we saw (I don't know if we saw two bloody-eye zombies or the same one twice).

I guess we don't know that the pig died of the same thing, but I'm assuming so.
Totally Kafkaesque