Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Scottie
Donny

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by Scottie »

Sorbo attempting to deliver lines from MacBeth is barf inducing.

Why call the film God's Not Dead? Seriously, why would they use an apostrophe? Was the title written by some recent community college journalism grad? Just brutal. Why would they miss God Is Not Dead? The first two words of which are God Is and that, after all, is the whole fucking premise. Idiots. They go for a title that looks like a headline from some kid's blog or a USA Today headline.

If it is supposed to be a rebuttal to Nietzsche, well, Nietzsche didn't say "God's dead"; the verb is right there, Germanic and pronounced, not reduced to a possessive contraction acting as verb. Is is is, is isn't 's.

Lazy minded, that. Daft, really.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Forgot one point in my rant. Why is there always a "why do you hate G-d?" argument? Why would an atheist hate G-d? It's like hating unicorns. If you believe something doesn't exist, you don't hate it. These people (not most Christians, mind you) can't even contemplate that some people don't believe in G-d. They are so brainwashed that they can't conceive the concept.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:It also looks like they are throwing in a healthy chunk of Christian Oppression, as he is threatened with failing just for believing in G-d, his way too hot for him girlfriend is going to dump him because he is doing G-d's work, and he will probably be ostracized and teased for believing in
G-d.
Then at the end, she'll get all hot watching him crush Hercules making one nonsensical argument after the next such as "Why do you hate God," and she'll run into his arms, completely blown away by his faith while Hercules is reduced to tears having accepted Jesus as his lord and savior. Then they'll proceed not to have sex.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:It also looks like they are throwing in a healthy chunk of Christian Oppression, as he is threatened with failing just for believing in G-d, his way too hot for him girlfriend is going to dump him because he is doing G-d's work, and he will probably be ostracized and teased for believing in
G-d.
Then at the end, she'll get all hot watching him crush Hercules making one nonsensical argument after the next such as "Why do you hate God," and she'll run into his arms, completely blown away by his faith while Hercules is reduced to tears having accepted Jesus as his lord and savior. Then they'll proceed not to have sex.
Last line cracked me up, but at least he has a couple of months of side-hugging until they get prematurely married and fall apart in an ugly divorce after having a few kids in an effort the hold on to the marriage.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
G-d.
Last line cracked me up, but at least he has a couple of months of side-hugging until they get prematurely married and fall apart in an ugly divorce after having a few kids in an effort the hold on to the marriage.
I like to believe that he comes home early from work one day to find her in their bed having a threesome with Hercules and Fat Superman.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote:Forgot one point in my rant. Why is there always a "why do you hate G-d?" argument? Why would an atheist hate G-d? It's like hating unicorns. If you believe something doesn't exist, you don't hate it. These people (not most Christians, mind you) can't even contemplate that some people don't believe in G-d. They are so brainwashed that they can't conceive the concept.
It's like being Satanic is more acceptable than being atheist.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fucking Spencer! Where was his Godliness back in high school when he was cheating on Teddy Duncan?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

P.D.X. wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Forgot one point in my rant. Why is there always a "why do you hate G-d?" argument? Why would an atheist hate G-d? It's like hating unicorns. If you believe something doesn't exist, you don't hate it. These people (not most Christians, mind you) can't even contemplate that some people don't believe in G-d. They are so brainwashed that they can't conceive the concept.
It's like being Satanic is more acceptable than being atheist.
If a Satanist is a belief in Satan, aren't most Christians Satanists anyway?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:Fucking Spencer! Where was his Godliness back in high school when he was cheating on Teddy Duncan?
Is it just me, or do you have violent thoughts towards the mother in that show as well?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Consensual sexy violent?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Like if you had no objective standard for morality you'd punch her in the face violent.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Fucking Spencer! Where was his Godliness back in high school when he was cheating on Teddy Duncan?

Ha! I didn't even notice. Not that I have seen the show more than a couple of times, but still, I should have noticed. (It's Disney, Howard. And yes, they probably over sexualize The eldest daughter, Teddy. But you already knew that.)
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Welcome to the 16th Century, Catholic Church!

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I bet about 90% of these assholes don't practice celibacy in the first place. That's awesome too...as long as whatever they're doing is consensual...go to town. I'd like to see a head line from the RCC stating that "Minding Our Own Fucking Business Is Up For Discussion."

Does that celibacy vow include jacking it?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I bet about 90% of these assholes don't practice celibacy in the first place. That's awesome too...as long as whatever they're doing is consensual...go to town. I'd like to see a head line from the RCC stating that "Minding Our Own Fucking Business Is Up For Discussion."

I would think so. Isn't "spilling your seed on the Earth" a sin? Isn't there something in the bible about being better to fill the belly of a whore than spill your seed?
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

According to this guy, nothing goes. ( http://liberalcatholiconcelibacy.blogspot.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) He's "an ex-seminarian now married". It's actually rather well-written for a blog piece.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I bet about 90% of these assholes don't practice celibacy in the first place. That's awesome too...as long as whatever they're doing is consensual...go to town. I'd like to see a head line from the RCC stating that "Minding Our Own Fucking Business Is Up For Discussion."

I would think so. Isn't "spilling your seed on the Earth" a sin? Isn't there something in the bible about being better to fill the belly of a whore than spill your seed?
I thought it was "Better to spill your seed on the ground than in the belly of a whore."

Nothing said about socks, however.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

P.D.X. wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

I thought it was "Better to spill your seed on the ground than in the belly of a whore."

Nothing said about socks, however.
Oh good...we're right on topic...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
Oh good...we're right on topic...

This comment sums it up: "Would you want to worship a God that seems more interested in stopping you from jacking off than he is in stoping wars, children starving etc.."

So the cliff hanger ending, he gets all horned up and goes to the child molester's house, so are we to assume he gave in to temptation and let the guy blow him?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The sad part is that no one can love a ginger, so he really is going to need to know how to masturbate.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is so awesome. The looks on the bride and groom's faces are fucking priceless.

Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Silly ruling thrown out as unconstitutional by a chancellor with the rather suave name of Telford E. Forgety.
sancarlos wrote:
(Reuters) - A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby's first name changed from "Messiah" to Martin, saying that the only true messiah is Jesus Christ, a ruling the boy's mother promises to appeal, a Tennessee television station has reported.

The parents of Messiah DeShawn Martin went before Tennessee Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew because they could not agree on the 7-month-old's last name.

Ballew instead last week ordered the baby's name changed to Martin DeShawn McCullough, the Tennessee television station WBIR reported.

"The word 'messiah' is a title, and it's a title that has only been earned by one person, and that one person is Jesus Christ," Ballew told WBIR...(more)
Link
howard
Karl Hungus

It Ain't 70 Virgins,but It'll Do

Post by howard »

More religious leaders, just making it up as they go

Joining the sex jihad
Fundamentalist clerics are encouraging women to hook up with lonely Syrian militants

Such promiscuity might sound like a flagrant breach of Sharia law, the Koran-inspired religious code that bans the faithful from indulging in everything from premarital sex to cigarettes and alcohol. Yet some fundamentalist preachers are more than happy to bend the rules for their religious warriors.

In December, for instance, Mohamed al-Arifi, a hard-line Salafi cleric from Saudi Arabia, allegedly issued a religious decree allowing jihadist fighters to temporarily engage in "intercourse marriages" with "females as young as 14 years old," Iran's state-run Press TV reported last year. Once the hookup is over, the temporary marriage is considered dissolved.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

1:43 - [Host] John Bachman: … there’s only 10 days until this apocalyptic moment when the government supposedly is gonna shut down and government might default for the first time in history. To the people who say, you know, you guys kind of are waiting till the last minute here, with only 10 days to go, what do you say to them?

Lynn Westmoreland: Well, God created the world in seven days. So, I mean, ten days is not out of the reach for the Senate to act, surely…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma wrote:Lynn Westmoreland: Well, God created the world in seven days.
Challenging a particularly loonie pair of born-agains, back in Nova Scotia a few years ago, they provided two of the most staggeringly stupid explanations for the two biggest givens facing any religion; how the universe came into being, how humans came into being. Both of their answers were, fittingly, questions.

On evolution their response was "How come there aren't any slant-eyed apes?"
On the universe's existence, having been created by Coco The Spacemonster in a mere week, their response was "Who knows how long the days were back then?"

Can't argue with that potato.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

"How come there aren't any slant-eyed apes?"
They never saw a homo sapien of Asian descent?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Their own question was utterly self-defeating. Yet they clung to it. As usual, born-agains are completely unable to grasp long periods of time. If evolution did not occur in, say, an observable twenty years then it surely must be impossible. Fifty million years is right out of the question. The universe itself evolving over thirteen billion years? Well, that's just silly. Don't even attempt to describe the size of the universe to them because, hey, who can say how long a few hundred billion light years were back in those days?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Their own question was utterly self-defeating.
It really is. Even if you accept their premise, it opens up even more questions. Most importantly...why the fuck did your God create slanty-eyed human beings?

I can't even comprehend the size of the universe; let alone try to explain it to anyone.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Honestly - if this was a storyline on Breaking Bad, they would have lost viewers.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

I Toldt Y'all Them Niggas were Ganstas…in Paradise

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Know who the first Tweeter was? Yup...Jesus.
Jesus Christ was the world’s first tweeter because his pronouncements were “brief and full of meaning”, Vatican cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi said Wednesday.

Christ “used tweets before everyone else, with elementary phrases made up of fewer than 45 characters like ‘Love one another’”, said Ravasi, the Vatican’s equivalent of a culture minister.
Because certainly nobody came up with "Love one another" until 2000 years ago.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:Know who the first Tweeter was? Yup...Jesus.
Jesus Christ was the world’s first tweeter because his pronouncements were “brief and full of meaning”, Vatican cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi said Wednesday.

Christ “used tweets before everyone else, with elementary phrases made up of fewer than 45 characters like ‘Love one another’”, said Ravasi, the Vatican’s equivalent of a culture minister.
Confucius tweeted like 500 years before al Jeezus.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Know who the first Tweeter was? Yup...Jesus.

Beyond that, Jesus was on the internet, but nobody knew that because they didn't have computers. He is all powerful and all.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A new command I give u: <3 one another as I have <3d u, so u must <3 one another #John13:34
All commandments: u shant cheat u shant kill u shant steal u shant covet etc r summed up in 1: u must <3 your neighbor as yourself #Romans13:9
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword. #lol
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Well I certainly feel better knowing that this man is defending our civil liberties...
I don’t know how, by your lights, that’s going to be regarded in 50 years.
I don’t know either. And, frankly, I don’t care. Maybe the world is spinning toward a wider acceptance of homosexual rights, and here’s Scalia, standing athwart it. At least standing athwart it as a constitutional entitlement. But I have never been custodian of my legacy. When I’m dead and gone, I’ll either be sublimely happy or terribly unhappy.

You believe in heaven and hell?
Oh, of course I do. Don’t you believe in heaven and hell?

No.
Oh, my.

Does that mean I’m not going?

[Laughing.] Unfortunately not!

Wait, to heaven or hell?
It doesn’t mean you’re not going to hell, just because you don’t believe in it. That’s Catholic doctrine! Everyone is going one place or the other.

But you don’t have to be a Catholic to get into heaven? Or believe in it?
Of course not!

Oh. So you don’t know where I’m going. Thank God.
I don’t know where you’re going. I don’t even know whether Judas Iscariot is in hell. I mean, that’s what the pope meant when he said, “Who am I to judge?” He may have recanted and had severe penance just before he died. Who knows?

Can we talk about your drafting process—
[Leans in, stage-whispers.] I even believe in the Devil.

You do?
Of course! Yeah, he’s a real person. Hey, c’mon, that’s standard Catholic doctrine! Every Catholic believes that.

Every Catholic believes this? There’s a wide variety of Catholics out there …
If you are faithful to Catholic dogma, that is certainly a large part of it.

Have you seen evidence of the Devil lately?

You know, it is curious. In the Gospels, the Devil is doing all sorts of things. He’s making pigs run off cliffs, he’s possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn’t happen very much anymore.

No.
It’s because he’s smart.

So what’s he doing now?
What he’s doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He’s much more successful that way.

That has really painful implications for atheists. Are you sure that’s the ­Devil’s work?
I didn’t say atheists are the Devil’s work.

Well, you’re saying the Devil is ­persuading people to not believe in God. Couldn’t there be other reasons to not believe?
Well, there certainly can be other reasons. But it certainly favors the Devil’s desires. I mean, c’mon, that’s the explanation for why there’s not demonic possession all over the place. That always puzzled me. What happened to the Devil, you know? He used to be all over the place. He used to be all over the New Testament.

Right.
What happened to him?

He just got wilier.
He got wilier.

Isn’t it terribly frightening to believe in the Devil?

You’re looking at me as though I’m weird. My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil.

I hope you weren’t sensing contempt from me. It wasn’t your belief that surprised me so much as how boldly you expressed it.
I was offended by that. I really was.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

As if I didn't hate Scalia enough already. Frightening that this is what he thinks about. I'm very curious, does most of America believe in the devil?
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:As if I didn't hate Scalia enough already. Frightening that this is what he thinks about. I'm very curious, does most of America believe in the devil?
I'm afraid so. It's not exactly an insignificant piece of Christian theology and last I checked we're like 75% Christian, still. I mean, Jesus hung out with him for 40 days in the desert and that's not only in the NT but in the Gospels.

It's just weird to hear a Supreme Court Justice talk about this nonsense so casually without having a fear in the world that people might think it makes him sound bat-shit insane.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:I'm very curious, does most of America believe in the devil?
Highly unlikely. Perhaps another way to frame the question is "Do people who believe in Spacemonster also believe in anti-Spacemonster?" Faith-prone idealists gravitate to sacred absolutes more easily than profane imperfections. While it is increasingly difficult to attribute the odd workings of nature to a diety's doings, co-opting a devil is as simple as pie. Anti-Spacemonster is born/designed culpable whereas his counterpart is blameless and mission-driven. (And it is always a male character; if Beelzebub was Beelzeboobs, one would be more inclined to believe a feminist was the anti-CheezWiz).

Humans are suckers for balance; creatively yingyanging explanations for pure chance. Unable to conceive that Earth was anything but the center of the universe, relying on only the UrEarth as vantage point, Spacemonster was conceived as residing invisibly without and anti-Spacemonster invisibly within. As paradise was depicted beyond our mortal coil, eternal damnation was right here inside of us, the center of Earthself.

Theologically, that is an interesting construct. One's soul is presumably Spacemonsterlike but one's packaging must first perish before one's inner myth can be delivered to its ultimate destination. Consequently, upon death, Soulmonster must spirit off somewhere via special delivery and that undiscovered interval is even more obscure than the mysterious happenings that ensue between winning an auction on eBay and receiving what you bought; a mystical route as unknown to us as the destination of lost laundry socks.

One could justify the anti-Spacemonster character as inevitable duality rather than just a way to scare Dark Ages people into attending, and subsequently being compelled into giving everything they own to, the churches. If anti-Spacemonster lives inside of us all, salvation therefore lies beyond. Salvation's price tag is faith whereas damnation is pretty much free. It is worth noting that Spacemonster Himself created everything, including anti-Spacemonster; perhaps merely to sell more records. Creating the one and only entity that can potentially destroy one's self is a dubious business model; high risk development on speculative return.

Dante stages Hell at Earth's core; the innermost sanctum of that which was then known. Heaven, however, is somewhere out in the great beyond; nestled at creation's most distant environs. Of course, we have since determined that UrEarth is structured like an elaborate baseball with a solid core and that in an eternally-expanding universe, unfortunately for those souls even with the proper postage, the destination of Heaven keeps getting further and further away, pushing outward on cruise control and putting as many light years between itself and us humans as it can comfortably manage.