Post by P.D.X. »

I'd wear a manatee belt.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:I'd wear a manatee belt.
Aren't they endangered?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Somewhere, PDX's dog involuntarily shudders...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There has been a guy hanging out in a distant and secluded corner of the parking for the last hour or so. He is standing next to a black Tesla. I just noticed that he is wearing one blue glove on his left hand (it's almost 60 here, and he is wearing a short-sleeved shirt) and using the fingers of that same hand to hold his cigarette.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:There has been a guy hanging out in a distant and secluded corner of the parking for the last hour or so. He is standing next to a black Tesla. I just noticed that he is wearing one blue glove on his left hand (it's almost 60 here, and he is wearing a short-sleeved shirt) and using the fingers of that same hand to hold his cigarette.

That's a total nurse move. Hold your cig in a gloved hand, less smell on your hands afterwards.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:
rass wrote:There has been a guy hanging out in a distant and secluded corner of the parking for the last hour or so. He is standing next to a black Tesla. I just noticed that he is wearing one blue glove on his left hand (it's almost 60 here, and he is wearing a short-sleeved shirt) and using the fingers of that same hand to hold his cigarette.

That's a total nurse move. Hold your cig in a gloved hand, less smell on your hands afterwards.
He wasn't dressed like a nurse (at least not like one on break). Could have been a doc. Didn't think of that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
A_B wrote:

He wasn't dressed like a nurse (at least not like one on break). Could have been a doc. Didn't think of that.
Misogynist.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I feel like doctors who smoke should be disbarred.

(And yes I know that's not the word, but you get the idea.)

Don't fucking lecture me about having some beers now and then if you're fucking puffing down on cancer sticks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Another step on my long road to cynicism. Third year medical student, in the surgical locker room getting ready to assist on an operation for throat cancer. I'm changing next to one of the leading lung cancer surgeons in the world, puffing away between cases.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I don't have a problem with doctors who personally engage in unhealthy habits, because they have seen some shit. Just as long as the advice they are giving me is medically sound. A case where "do as I say, not as I do" is perfectly valid.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Another step on my long road to cynicism. Third year medical student, in the surgical locker room getting ready to assist on an operation for throat cancer. I'm changing next to one of the leading lung cancer surgeons in the world, puffing away between cases.
He just wanted to be prepared for the day he gets throat cancer. It never sat right going to a hospital and seeing a gaggle of nurses and doctors smoking outside.

So I think I mentioned the former NFLer (and O-lineman for Donovan McNabb in college) who works in my office. He was at the copier the other day, causing it to beep way too many times. Finally, he asks someone what he is doing wrong. "The machine says 'out of paper,' what does that mean." It means you took too many blows to the head.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
howard wrote:Another step on my long road to cynicism. Third year medical student, in the surgical locker room getting ready to assist on an operation for throat cancer. I'm changing next to one of the leading lung cancer surgeons in the world, puffing away between cases.
He just wanted to be prepared for the day he gets throat cancer. It never sat right going to a hospital and seeing a gaggle of nurses and doctors smoking outside.

So I think I mentioned the former NFLer (and O-lineman for Donovan McNabb in college) who works in my office. He was at the copier the other day, causing it to beep way too many times. Finally, he asks someone what he is doing wrong. "The machine says 'out of paper,' what does that mean." It means you took too many blows to the head.

Sabo played for the Eagles?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Sabo played for the Eagles?
No, 'Cuse. This guy was drafted by the Saints, but injured during rookie hazing and cut because he wasn't able to participate at camp. He won a decent settlement in a fairly publicized case.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:
A_B wrote: Sabo played for the Eagles?
No, 'Cuse. This guy was drafted by the Saints, but injured during rookie hazing and cut because he wasn't able to participate at camp. He won a decent settlement in a fairly publicized case.
Jeez. You think you know a guy. He never posted about that even once.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Just saw something on reddit that made me think: what percentage of people at your workplace leave PowerPoint in edit (i.e. non-presentation) mode when presenting?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Back to the Cube this morning. My employees completely cleared out my office and decorated my cube exactly how it was for April Fools.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Photo of The Dome (giant bald scalp surrounded by hair on all sides) holding an umbrella for The Hog. They walked out to The Hog's car in the same manner.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's depressing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Photo of The Dome (giant bald scalp surrounded by hair on all sides) holding an umbrella for The Hog. They walked out to The Hog's car in the same manner.

The Dome needs to change to Fonzworth Bentley
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Did they go to the car so Hog could get some dome from Dome on his hog?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

This reminded me that rass still owes us explanations for everyone on the comprehensive list of nicknames he posted a while back.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

If you put someone on hold during a call you initiated, for anything short of a life-or-death emergency, you are basically the worst person in the world.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(I assume we can all keep this amongst ourselves since I'm going to share a screenshot with real names though I've blanked out last names.)

So there's this co-worker of mine I absolutely can't stand. She's a vacuous twit whom I can't understand why the company keeps around and she causes everyone (but especially me) more work because of her stupidity. A little background for below. She's been pestering everyone in the company about this bug that we resolved this morning for the last two days. So here's a Slack conversation that includes her (Emily) and my boss and the company owner (Doug).

Needless to say myself and the sizable anti-Emily crowd had a good laugh over that one. For all her stupidity those in positions of power either seem to ignore it or value her contributions in some way.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'd be happy with that level of dumb some days.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Who's gonna say it ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Giff wrote:I'd be happy with that ... d ... some days.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nearly did the exact same thing.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hilarious. We did it and now we're getting a divorce and now I lost my kids. Keep making the jokes, assholes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote:Hilarious. We did it and now we're getting a divorce and now I lost my ... asshole...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote:Keep making the jokes, assholes.
Anything for you, will do!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I noticed this thing? It was a small percentage of people at my old work? But it's more prevalent at my new job? Broads did it, but now dudes do too? It's this constant rising intonation? Sometimes it's called uptalk? It's really fucking annoying? It makes them sound like their unsure? And complete fucking idiots? And it's not just millennials?

I wonder if they do it in other aspects of their life? Like in the throes of passion? Oh yes? Give it to me? That's good? Yes? Yes? YES?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Are they Canadian?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote:So I noticed this thing? It was a small percentage of people at my old work? But it's more prevalent at my new job? Broads did it, but now dudes do too? It's this constant rising intonation? Sometimes it's called uptalk? It's really fucking annoying? It makes them sound like their unsure? And complete fucking idiots? And it's not just millennials?

I wonder if they do it in other aspects of their life? Like in the throes of passion? Oh yes? Give it to me? That's good? Yes? Yes? YES?
Maybe not surprising, but the dipshit I referenced at my office upthread does it and it drives me fucking bonkers. Though fortunately, I can't really think of anyone else who does.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I go from screaming in the beginning to whispering at the end of every sentence I speak. Secret to my vast success.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote:So I noticed this thing? It was a small percentage of people at my old work? But it's more prevalent at my new job? Broads did it, but now dudes do too? It's this constant rising intonation? Sometimes it's called uptalk? It's really fucking annoying? It makes them sound like their unsure? And complete fucking idiots? And it's not just millennials?

I hate that so much. Drives me nuts, and makes the person look vapid and idiotic. Can't say I've heard a guy do it, though. My company is based outside of San Fran, and it seems more prevalent out there. My boss grew up in So-Cal (no idea where), and she occasionally slips into something similar, peppered with a lot of "fer sure." She is the greatest, so I can't be annoyed by anything she does, but everyone else is another story.
-Pruitt
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Uptalk from a man tends to immediately feminize his tone. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Vocal patterns that make you sound uncertain don't play well in my line of work. We have one cop (female) that does it and she's considered barely competent and too passive by most.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Moreta wrote:Uptalk from a man tends to immediately feminize his tone. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Vocal patterns that make you sound uncertain don't play well in my line of work. We have one cop (female) that does it and she's considered barely competent and too passive by most.
Hooks?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I notice it mainly in younger women...30ish or under. At my last job we had a 20-something we nicknamed Michelle b/c when she talked it reminded us of "this one time...at band camp?"...which I think is hilarious on it's own merit.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

rass wrote:
Moreta wrote:Uptalk from a man tends to immediately feminize his tone. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Hooks?
My immediate thought.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Heh.