Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:Karate Kid!
Oh yeah, that was a hit too. We watched the newer one first, I think because it was free on Netflix or Amazon. They liked that one, but I thought it paled (ha!) in comparison to the original. When we watched that one, they agreed it was better.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Oh we did Karate Kid last weekend. I have been blocking Crane kicks all week.

Thinking Maybe Last Starfighter could work for him.

As for the Never Ending Story
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought of another one they liked that we just happened to catch on TV over Thanksgiving: Popeye

That's an odd movie....
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Thinking Maybe Last Starfighter could work for him.
Yup, that one worked also. Oh, a similar (sort of) one - Explorers.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Red Dawn
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote:Red Dawn
Shit. That one really freaked me out as a kid. I don't think I even saw it back then, just the description of the scene at the school.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote:
Shit. That one really freaked me out as a kid. I don't think I even saw it back then, just the description of the scene at the school.
Red Dawn and some HBO Nostradamus documentary kept me up at night as a kid. I was certain that the world was going to end, and that we were going to be invaded and it was up to me and my bicycle gang buddies to save us all.

I was definitely not a bad enough dude to rescue the president. Fucking ninjas.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We had family movie night last night and watched The Adventures of Robin Hood, with Errol Flynn (which was on TMC). For a really old movie, it holds up well. Helps that it is in color.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Browsing through Amazon Prime video last night looking for something to watch, I settled on The Foot Fist Way. Same group of guys who made Eastbound and Down, and definitely a precursor to that show. I love McBride.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:
rass wrote:
Red Dawn and some HBO Nostradamus documentary kept me up at night as a kid.

I didn't see Red Dawn until I was old enough to laugh at it. Holy shit did that Nostradamus doc fuck me up. He KNEW everything!!! I was obsessed and read some books. Luckily one of them debunked scam, showing hos Nostradamus was vague in all of his predictions, used a language with few consonants to allow for a lot of different combinations on predictions. I remember something about how he predicted WW2 with an evil leader named "Hister." I don't remember specifics, but there were numerous possible names that could have been spelled the way he wrote his prediction. You could stretch a lot of historical events to fit into his predictions. The one that really fucked me up was the blue turbaned man in the Middle East who would bring about the near destruction of the entire world.

My kids loved the Back to the Future movies. We didn't get to the third, and I have yet to see it. Karate Kid would be a huge hit in my house, and I have to watch Goonies with them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Was the Nostradamus one hosted by Orson Welles? I remember seeing that one as well and feeling really uneasy until I later realized it was bullshit.

I saw Red Dawn when I was like 6 or 7 and the scene that always stands out is the one where they line up the group of civilians who start singing the Star-Spangled Banner and then machine gun them to death. Would probably be cheesy as hell if I saw it today, but just deeply disturbed me then.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Was the Nostradamus one hosted by Orson Welles? I remember seeing that one as well and feeling really uneasy until I later realized it was bullshit.
This is ringing a bell that resounds through the thick fog of time. (Poetic, no?)

I can remember a Nostradamus documentary that I saw when I was at my most gullible (UFOs, Bermuda Triangle, Bigfoot etc.), and the "Hister" thing.

Around the same time I read some book on Nostradamus and realized that it was complete bullshit.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, the Nostradamus one was narrated by Orson Welles and was a staple on HBO in the early 80s. So much so that it warped my brain too for awhile.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is the best writing on the state of the movie industry I've seen in quite some time.

Especially for someone like me who doesn't give two fucks about comic book movies.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:This is the best writing on the state of the movie industry I've seen in quite some time.

Especially for someone like me who doesn't give two fucks about comic book movies.
Agreed. I don't give two fucks about comic book movies, either.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:This is the best writing on the state of the movie industry I've seen in quite some time.

My wife wishes I was slow to climax. :(
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Mind blown. Mind blown!

The man is real. The dogs are real.

Link: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ogblog/ ... s-one-way/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

About the most implausible thing about Boogie Nights is it took Dirk Diggler 2 and a half years to try coke.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rex wrote:Mind blown. Mind blown!

Whaddya want from me?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So Regal, AMC, Cinemark and Carmike will not be opening "The Interview" as planned. That's nearly half of all theaters in the country.

At this point, shouldn't Sony release it immediately to On Demand? The publicity will never be higher. I originally thought this may have been a ploy by Sony to drum up said publicity, but it sure doesn't appear that way now.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:So Regal, AMC, Cinemark and Carmike will not be opening "The Interview" as planned. That's nearly half of all theaters in the country.
Makes me just want to go see it more. Give a big middle finger to North Korean cyberterrorists and these pussy movie theater chains.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:So Regal, AMC, Cinemark and Carmike will not be opening "The Interview" as planned. That's nearly half of all theaters in the country.
Makes me just want to go see it more. Give a big middle finger to North Korean cyberterrorists and these pussy movie theater chains.
Of course. This movie looks very unfunny, but now I have a good reason to go see it (yet conflicted, as I am hesitant to give Sony any cash. Maybe I sneak in.)

What a bunch of fucking cowards.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

In search of mindless, over the top fun, my daughter and I went to see "Exodus" - the Christian Bale movie.

If you watch it hoping that it will turn out to be schlock, I think you'll enjoy it. It is complete dreck, but the effects are great.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Saw the new hobbit last bight. I liked it but I am a fanboy. of the six in the saga it is probably 5th or 6th
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm pretty sure it's the fancy assed FPS that turned me off at this point.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bad Santa holds up pretty well.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

And you can now download the interview...
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

TheHumanComa wrote:And you can now download the interview...
The end is upon us. Apparently you can watch it anywhere now. Youtube, and a bunch of other streaming services are offering it too. It's pretty funny so far, but not worth the end of the world funny.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

On tv tonight I was forced to watch the 2004 Tim Allen/Jamie Lee Curtis movie, Christmas with the Cranks. Gotta be one of the five worst movies I've ever watched. But I was with the grandparents who wanted to watch it. That movie gargled donkey balls in so many ways.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB_skin_test wrote:Saw the new hobbit last bight. I liked it but I am a fanboy. of the six in the saga it is probably 5th or 6th
Love Lotr, but hated HATED this installment. It looked awful. The 3d was jarring in a terrible way.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Saw the new hobbit last bight. I liked it but I am a fanboy. of the six in the saga it is probably 5th or 6th
Love Lotr, but hated HATED this installment. It looked awful. The 3d was jarring in a terrible way.
I just came back from the theater, and I agree with this assessment. Peter Jackson should've made The Hobbit in one or two films, not three. I figured Smaug's attack on Laketown would be portrayed longer in this movie than it was, but instead they replaced it with a bunch of stuff that really didn't matter. A disappointing end to the series of films.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't watch 3d movies, so I didn't have to deal with that at all.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB_skin_test wrote:I don't watch 3d movies, so I didn't have to deal with that at all.
I completely forgot about this issue, saw first two hobbits in 2d and this in 3d. Totally ruined the movie.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Until this Christmas, I thought It's a Wonderful Life started with George at the bridge. Anyway, I really enjoyed the whole movie.

Also saw two movies I didn't enjoy- Django Unchained, which was just plain stupid and Gravity, which was boring.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can't remember if I saw it in 3D or not, but Gravity definitely benefitted from being seen on the big screen.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hyde Park on the Hudson is just well crafted enough to escape the "so bad it's good" trap.

Just finished watching it and am completely unsure as to why this film was made. Wasn't interesting as a historical film, as a romance, as a comedy or a drama or even as a character study. And it's clear that a lot of work went into making it as well. But not one aspect of the story was interesting, and very little of the dialogue rang true.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The original Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway was entertaining. I'd prefer a bit more realism. But the actors are cool. Can't forget who they are for a second, which makes the movie more a stunt than a compelling story. I liked that McQueen seems to be doing his own stunts in the polo scenes and was clearly racing the dune buggy; they don't do that much anymore.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DC47 wrote:The original Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway was entertaining. I'd prefer a bit more realism. But the actors are cool. Can't forget who they are for a second, which makes the movie more a stunt than a compelling story. I liked that McQueen seems to be doing his own stunts in the polo scenes and was clearly racing the dune buggy; they don't do that much anymore.
I've never seen the original, so can't make a comparison, but the remake with Pierce Brosnan and a still at that point OMG hot Renne Russo was pretty solid.

It may just be further proof that he's crazy, but Tom Cruise seems to have a hard-on for doing his own stunts.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

One one hand, Ant Man is a terrible super hero to build a movie around. On the other, Marvel is so smart they knew that, so they cast Paul Rudd in the lead role, leaving me no choice but to see the movie.

Well played, Marvel. Well played.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

If you see only one evil talking cat movie this year, I think this is the one.

Totally Kafkaesque