Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am I know I've seen snippets of a couple of the first ones... Just the trailers that I've seen... Cars can't do most of the shit they are showing... I'm not a huge stickler, but when you see a car basically pulling a tank or whatever or like, basically flying from the top of a bridge 5 stories down on top of another highway... It's just too stupid.
That’s the thing for me. I don’t even mind dumb (to an extent) and can suspend disbelief (to an extent) but this movie (and I presume it’s predecessors) get to that line, flip you off and then flip the NO2 switch and rocket about 50 miles past it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:49 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:29 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:55 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am I know I've seen snippets of a couple of the first ones... Just the trailers that I've seen... Cars can't do most of the shit they are showing... I'm not a huge stickler, but when you see a car basically pulling a tank or whatever or like, basically flying from the top of a bridge 5 stories down on top of another highway... It's just too stupid.
No dumber than Bond, Mission Impossible, or Arnold movies (okay maybe dumber). You just go in expecting what you expect. Like a Transformer movie or Sharknado. Just with a higher budget and the car stunts are the hero.
Sorry, it's definitely dumber than all of those you mentioned first. Transformers and Sharknado are more like it.
Missing the point. You are not buying a ticket to be surprised or see great acting. After the first one (which is point break with hondas and muscle cars), you really are buying a ticket/investing your time to see ridiculous car stunts done by cars painted ugly colors and neon. Well that and of course

And this:

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve never seen any of the Fast furious movies, and this thread is a nice confirmation of the wisdom of that decision.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:42 pm I’ve never seen any of the Fast furious movies, and this thread is a nice confirmation of the wisdom of that decision.
I propose during the next pandemic we have a Swamp movie marathon where we watch the entire franchise back-to-back with only a 10-minute break between movies.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Never seen them either, but the ride at the Universal parks is hilariously stupid.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ryan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:00 am Never seen them either, but the ride at the Universal parks is hilariously stupid.
That's the extent of my involvement with the franchise as well. I thought the ride was pretty fun though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:43 pm Finally saw spider verse 2 - it really was outstanding.
More finallier just saw it. Incredible movie
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:56 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:00 am Never seen them either, but the ride at the Universal parks is hilariously stupid.
That's the extent of my involvement with the franchise as well. I thought the ride was pretty fun though.
My son loves these movies and he is a teen, who knows nothing about movies, and also thinks that Keanu Reeves is a great actor. This is effort for me to have avoided them.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I could put this in the Wrestling thread too:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dungeons & Dragons was a lot of fun (as previously reported). Just get some good actors, make sure they have great chemistry, and put them in a story that isn’t trying to do too much, like set up some other story. Easy!

And Prey was fantastic. It was even pulled off the
[+] spoiler
let’s include a famous line from a previous movie in the series ploy
I mean I was sitting on my couch and cheered like a dork.

I also liked that the way it played out it made clear that all the dudes whining about a girl beating a predator didn’t bother to watch the movie before doing so.

And
[+] spoiler
the dog lives!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm looking forward to this one:

Not because it looks good (and it does), but because of Jamie Foxx's character, Willie Gary. I'm sure some Swamp attorneys know who he is. Well, my wife faced off against his firm many years ago and while he says in this trailer that he's never lost a case ... that didn't last forever!
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So me and L-Jam4 watched Alien last night with the lights off, which for some reason I never watched. Damn good. And even though I knew the major scare i.e.
[+] spoiler
the Chestbuster on John Hurt
, it was a really effective haunted house movie and held up. Little Man was very impressed since all the FX were practical.

And my younger cat kept peeking his head on the screen, which in the dark kept unnerving us.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:13 pm I'm looking forward to this one:

Not because it looks good (and it does), but because of Jamie Foxx's character, Willie Gary. I'm sure some Swamp attorneys know who he is. Well, my wife faced off against his firm many years ago and while he says in this trailer that he's never lost a case ... that didn't last forever!
That’s a hell of a Brush With Greatness.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

She clipped the Wings of Justice!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I loved that they included that plane in the trailer. At first I thought it was going to be a hagiography, but it looks like they are going to include his pomposity as well. The man knows how to market himself.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Here's a riddle for all you Swifties ... My oldest and her friends are going to see the movie tonight (which means I might have to pick up at like 10:30 which suuuuuuuucks) and came to me with writing on her face, two letters on each cheek. What is the significance of: P8 PI
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:31 pm Here's a riddle for all you Swifties ... My oldest and her friends are going to see the movie tonight (which means I might have to pick up at like 10:30 which suuuuuuuucks) and came to me with writing on her face, two letters on each cheek. What is the significance of: P8 PI
THAT’S MY NEW FUCKING LICENSE PLATE WTF
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:24 pm Strays was stupid and crude. I am not sure it was even a $4 dollar movie and I like stupid movies. I watch dumb movies multiple times. Won't even watch this if it were a passing on TV station moment.

But has it's moments.
It did have its moments. Some.

Though it further solidified that there isn’t a more courageous current actor than Will Forte.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I watched Old Dads on Netflix (Bill Burr vehicle with Bobby Cannavale, Bokeem Woodbine) this morning. It started out fun enough, but the plot jumps around and doesn't really work.

I'd rate it a 5 out of 10.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:22 pm So I watched Old Dads on Netflix (Bill Burr vehicle with Bobby Cannavale, Bokeem Woodbine) this morning. It started out fun enough, but the plot jumps around and doesn't really work.

I love Burr so I am going to watch this, but it looks bad.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I thought this looked good.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:07 am I thought this looked good.

Yeah, that looks really interesting. I know the name and reputation of The Wrecking Crew, but I don't know any of their names or much about them.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:55 am

Yeah, that looks really interesting. I know the name and reputation of The Wrecking Crew, but I don't know any of their names or much about them.
Sign me up. Looks fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This is about a group called "The Section." Same director made a movie about The Wrecking Crew a few years ago.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:23 am

This is about a group called "The Section." Same director made a movie about The Wrecking Crew a few years ago.
Ah, I misunderstood the trailer. Same interest applies, although I've never heard of The Section.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Wrecking Crew Documentary is really good...

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:14 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:23 am

Ah, I misunderstood the trailer. Same interest applies, although I've never heard of The Section.
Back in the day, I remember The Section also being referred to as The LA Mafia, because they played on all the albums of the LA-based big solo artists, and often toured as their backing band (Linda Ronstadt, Warren Zevon, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, others).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Watched 'Killers of the Flower Moon' yesterday and again found myself surprised at the level of selfish depravity we create in real life compared to fiction. What a terrible bunch of cunts we humans are at times.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 am Watched Palm Springs last night. Strong recommend. Andy Samberg is great. Surprisingly relevant to our pandemic life.
That was great.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Style Boyz 4 Life!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:18 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:22 pm So I watched Old Dads on Netflix (Bill Burr vehicle with Bobby Cannavale, Bokeem Woodbine) this morning. It started out fun enough, but the plot jumps around and doesn't really work.

Yea, it's just not good. It has some funny moments and turns up the hyperbole of the culture a bit, but I was just not entertained.

I totally connect to the main characters' annoyance of everyone being so damn sensitive, but it fell flat overall. The viewer is actually on the side of them, but in the end it doesn't work. It's called Old Dads yet...it's more about aging Gen Xers dealing with Gen Z more than anything.

Though I was amused by all of Burr's friend circle being involved just like how Sandler does it in his movies. (Rory Scovell, Joe Bartnick, Paul Virsi, his wife...etc.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:09 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:18 pm

Yea, it's just not good. It has some funny moments and turns up the hyperbole of the culture a bit, but I was just not entertained.

I totally connect to the main characters' annoyance of everyone being so damn sensitive, but it fell flat overall. The viewer is actually on the side of them, but in the end it doesn't work.It's called Old Dads yet...it's more about aging Gen Xers dealing with Gen Z more than anything.

Though I was amused by all of Burr's friend circle being involved just like how Sandler does it in his movies. (Rory Scovell, Joe Bartnick, Paul Virsi, his wife...etc.)
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What am I missing? The plot line centers more on their out of place feelings for current sensitivities and their Gen Z boss than actually being parents of young, small kids. The title of the movie, IMO, is wrong.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

gen X dads ARE Old dads now.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:25 am gen X dads ARE Old dads now.
I get that. It's even a joke when someone yells "Ok, Boomer!" at Burr and he corrects them.

I'm just saying the focus of the movie isn't really about them being dads, necessarily.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Could also go in the Halloween thread.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pretty awesome. My wife actually considered going as Mona Lisa Vito for Halloween, but we didn't think of it in time to put together.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gonna go watch Killers Of The Flower Moon tomorrow but stopping for some Depends first.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:37 am Gonna go watch Killers Of The Flower Moon tomorrow but stopping for some Depends first.
Maybe write them off as a business expense?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I watched American Gangster this weekend. Somehow, I'd never seen it. Directed by Ridley Scott and starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe - you'll be shocked to hear that it was really good!
Totally Kafkaesque