Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by phxgators »

Well... Our newly elected school board will be removing the current mask mandate at a meeting later today.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:27 pm
duff wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm Oldest daughter is a close contact. Headed to pick her up from school now. December 1, school corporation went with mask optional. Fucking hell. She's vaccinated at least. Most likely going to have finals virtually. So fucking irate at these people that want to appease the minority nutters, and don't give a shit for the safety of everyone else. The bullshit my wife has to deal with in her classroom now is unthinkable. One fourth grade classroom had 10 close contracts last week.
It seems like if you had one close contact in a classroom you should have xx number (xx being the total number of students in the class minus 1.)
There is a huge convoluted calculations on how to determine if you are a close contact. The easiest way to explain is that if you have a mask on then 3-feet in distance for x amount of minutes. No mask, 6-feet, x amount of minutes. Then you have to determine if said students were within the aforementioned range for the amount on continuous minutes (forgot to add that). If not, then you aren't a close contact.

Daughter believes her close contact was from a lab partner in Chemistry, as her other partners were told they were also close contacts. Wife just talked to the vice principal and all we have to do is bring in a copy of my daughter's vax card and she is good to go tomorrow. Only because she also wears her mask during school (although she wears it pretty much everywhere besides home).
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Youngest's MS is in 1/2 days for a second consecutive week based on recommendations from local health officials based on cases in school. Just now got an email notifying us of 5 additional students and a staff member testing positive.

Some of the other schools that had been on a 1/2 day schedule went back to a regular schedule today, which I guess is good?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HS has had over 2 dozen positives just the past two days and is headed back to 1/2 days starting tomorrow.

Is this going on elsewhere (around here, I guess I'm primarily asking)? I can't tell if they're being overly cautious in a situation a lot of other districts are going through or properly cautious in a standout set of circumstances.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's a shitshow in Missouri right now with the attorney general claiming that school boards have no standing to institute mask mandates and even setting up an email address for angry parents to email with "violations" by school boards who are instituting mask mandates

school boards across the state -- especially in cities -- are saying that their powers come from the legislature (true) and that the opinion of the AG means nothing (also true in this case). the AG keeps saying he's right and keeps going after this because he's running for senate

this has led to some smaller districts dropping mandates perhaps partially because they fear repercussions from the AG and can't afford to fight him in court if he wants to make an example out of them. it's an absolute mess, and one that only exists because he's trying to set himself apart in a crowded primary field that features the disgraced former governor and the guy from st. louis who pointed the gun at the protestors in front of his house.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm HS has had over 2 dozen positives just the past two days and is headed back to 1/2 days starting tomorrow.

Is this going on elsewhere (around here, I guess I'm primarily asking)? I can't tell if they're being overly cautious in a situation a lot of other districts are going through or properly cautious in a standout set of circumstances.
How many of them play for the Browns?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Holy Cow Cornell shuts down after 500 cases!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm HS has had over 2 dozen positives just the past two days and is headed back to 1/2 days starting tomorrow.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago we had one day where 10 or 12 students and teachers all reported positives, but that was across the entire district. Otherwise, we just have a handful every week. We haven't gone to half days at all, but they did just increase the required quarantine time for close contacts due to the county going back to high rates.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know any of the details but a nationally prominent prep school very close to where we live went virtual through mid-January late last week. That's saying something because even in our hyper-vigilant county (in terms of following protocols), the private schools have been adamant that they stay open (this is more pertinent to last year, when the public schools went virtual early and didn't re-open fully until fairly recently.) They followed protocols, but we're talking about parents that were really pissed when the health director of the county said they couldn't go back when they originally wanted (which was lunacy on the school's part, but very rich parents were pushing things, so...)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Got boosted yesterday, a hit of Pfizer to top off my previous Modernas. I didn't have a preference. In some ways, it seems better to mix. Moderna seems more effective for the initial doses, so my wife, who initially had Pfizer, intentionally scheduled a Moderna boost for today. I'm 22 hours in, and feeling about as tired and cloudy headed as every other day. Arm is pretty sore, but not as bad as the initial shots. Haven't tested magnetization at the injection site yet, when does that kick in?
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

(Borat voice) My wife and I both started with 2 Pfizer doses and boosted with Moderna. We each had the same flu-ish symptoms for about 48 hours after the Moderna boost. I suggest a Tylenol or Advil regimen for at least 48 hours.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:21 am Got boosted yesterday, a hit of Pfizer to top off my previous Modernas. I didn't have a preference. In some ways, it seems better to mix. Moderna seems more effective for the initial doses, so my wife, who initially had Pfizer, intentionally scheduled a Moderna boost for today. I'm 22 hours in, and feeling about as tired and cloudy headed as every other day. Arm is pretty sore, but not as bad as the initial shots. Haven't tested magnetization at the injection site yet, when does that kick in?
Well, you're already having visions of Bill Gates, so I assume it's all working according to plan.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Widespread in Howard county in maryland apparently. I assume this is Omicron. Get your boosters everyone.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Got the Pfizer boost last night. Effects kicking in. One zoom call to go and it's back to bed.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:25 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:21 am Got boosted yesterday, a hit of Pfizer to top off my previous Modernas. I didn't have a preference. In some ways, it seems better to mix. Moderna seems more effective for the initial doses, so my wife, who initially had Pfizer, intentionally scheduled a Moderna boost for today. I'm 22 hours in, and feeling about as tired and cloudy headed as every other day. Arm is pretty sore, but not as bad as the initial shots. Haven't tested magnetization at the injection site yet, when does that kick in?
Well, you're already having visions of Bill Gates, so I assume it's all working according to plan.
That's fantastic, AB.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:28 pm I don't know any of the details but a nationally prominent prep school very close to where we live went virtual through mid-January late last week. That's saying something because even in our hyper-vigilant county (in terms of following protocols), the private schools have been adamant that they stay open (this is more pertinent to last year, when the public schools went virtual early and didn't re-open fully until fairly recently.) They followed protocols, but we're talking about parents that were really pissed when the health director of the county said they couldn't go back when they originally wanted (which was lunacy on the school's part, but very rich parents were pushing things, so...)
Bullis, Prep, Landon, or St. Andrews?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Funny you bumped this, because Good Counsel just canceled all classes until after winter break. The school I was talking about is Prep, which I can walk to in about 15 minutes. GC is up in Olney (as you know), which is quite a location switch from back when we used to play them in the preseason over in Wheaton.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:51 pm Funny you bumped this, because Good Counsel just canceled all classes until after winter break. The school I was talking about is Prep, which I can walk to in about 15 minutes. GC is up in Olney (as you know), which is quite a location switch from back when we used to play them in the preseason over in Wheaton.
Hey, take it to the Greater DC area thread. Invading threads with hyper-local chatter is Northern NJ's thing.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:51 pm Funny you bumped this, because Good Counsel just canceled all classes until after winter break. The school I was talking about is Prep, which I can walk to in about 15 minutes. GC is up in Olney (as you know), which is quite a location switch from back when we used to play them in the preseason over in Wheaton.
Hey, take it to the Greater DC area thread. Invading threads with hyper-local chatter is Northern NJ's thing.
Prep is where Kavanaugh went (and P.J., and Squi, and Handsy Hank, and Gang-Bang Greg).

Also Bill and Michael Bidwell, Brian Cashman, David Chang, Gorsuch, RFK Jr., Jerome Powell, and Mo Rocca.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:45 pm
Prep is where Kavanaugh went (and P.J., and Squi, and Handsy Hank, and Gang-Bang Greg).

They called him Gang-Bang Greg, because he devoted his time to teaching former gang members to play the drums as a means of escaping the gang life.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is ennui one of the side effects of the COVID booster?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:32 am Is ennui one of the side effects of the COVID booster?
I feel like maybe you might have other contributing factors...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:51 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:45 pm

They called him Gang-Bang Greg, because he devoted his time to teaching former gang members to play the drums as a means of escaping the gang life.

Yeah, Mo Rocca is really an outlier... Just don't see him as a Prep kid... at all.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

my sister graduated GC back in the 90s, my niece just graduated from the new campus this past spring.
the Wheaton location/area is completely different from back when i went to HS at Kennedy -- although GA ave traffic still sucks.
but Central Jersey.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I must be in the very small percentage of people who never experience any side effects when getting shots.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:12 pm I must be in the very small percentage of people who never experience any side effects when getting shots.
That must fill you with a sense of listlessness and dissatisfaction.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:12 pm I must be in the very small percentage of people who never experience any side effects when getting shots.
I'm 0-for-2 in feeling any side effects so far. Have a booster on the 27th and will see if that changes.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:16 pm
That must fill you with a sense of listlessness and dissatisfaction.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Booster tomorrow at 3. 0-2 on side effects and feelin bad. Which means this will crush me. But I am loading up on fluids like I did last time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had a day of side effect for shots 1 and 2, but no side effect from my booster.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I felt fine the day after the booster (yesterday), but I'm struggling today. I pushed all of my witness interviews and training sessions from Wednesday to today, thinking Wednesday would be the day if I felt sick. Fuck was I wrong. Woke up so dizzy I could barely stand up. Been feeling dizzy, nauseous and achy all day. Just finished a Zoom training and I'm wiped out. One more interview with a sexual harassment complainant, then basketball practice! This sucks. I'm hoping it's back to normal tomorrow. On the plus side, my arm is back to 90%.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah that was me yesterday. Fortunately I had fuck all to do after one zoom call so it was just bed and Netflix.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

No issues with any of the shots or booster here either. Team Pfizer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And I think I’m back to normal!
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Local health department has approved our district going full virtual next week.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:38 pm And I think I’m back to normal!
Software update complete!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:38 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:38 pm And I think I’m back to normal!
Software update complete!
Yeah, even felt like drinking last night (and did), so back to normal!
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ok, so the email was confusing. Just the HS is full virtual, the rest of the schools are not.

But the first winter track meet of the season (this afternoon) is off, we think just our team backed out (or were asked to back out) because of the cases at the school.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

New employee came in today coughing too much for my tastes. Asked her wtf. She said not to worry just a sore throat. Its not covid. U sure? Appreciate the desire but you need to get up out this bitch. Ive been in that spot too over the last year but the two new girls are hotboxing in a small office cause they think the building is cold. Yuk. Miss working from home. Shes left but the spores remain. Went for a long lunch but feels like damage done.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:29 pm New employee came in today coughing too much for my tastes. Asked her wtf. She said not to worry just a sore throat. Its not covid. U sure? Appreciate the desire but you need to get up out this bitch. Ive been in that spot too over the last year but the two new girls are hotboxing in a small office cause they think the building is cold. Yuk. Miss working from home. Shes left but the spores remain. Went for a long lunch but feels like damage done.
That's rough. I feel for her in a way, being new you don't want to call in sick. She damn well better have gotten a negative test thought, otherwise that's really fucked up. Had a friend cancel a trip because his son had a cold and was coughing. Tested negative (and the whole family had COVID several months earlier), but he said he'd be too self-conscious sitting on an airplane with a coughing kid. Flip side, I was speaking to a coworker who is flying today with a coughing toddler and husband who both tested negative. I told her to blow up the test results and tape it to her kid to ease people's concerns. She was worried about how people will react to a coughing kid.
-Pruitt