He's like the 364 sunny days a year of Bemidji, Minnesota
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Johnnie »

Shoes - Payless!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That's what happens when you have an uneducated group of people who can't form a sentence to speak their thoughts, they just set things on fire and destroy there own town (thumbs up emoticon)
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

*NFL guy writes big ass post about Ferguson. Much Jesus.
Several comments ensue. Most say "you should write a book!"
One guy "Someone already wrote it. It's call the Bible, and the author's name was Jesus Christ!"

If you're going to spew religious bullshit, at least have some background on your source.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:*NFL guy writes big ass post about Ferguson. Much Jesus.
Several comments ensue. Most say "you should write a book!"
One guy "Someone already wrote it. It's call the Bible, and the author's name was Jesus Christ!"

If you're going to spew religious bullshit, at least have some background on your source.
But Jesus is God, so they aren't wrong.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No, no, no...God only wrote the few parts that sort of indicate we should try to be nice. The parts like where they tell you to smash babies heads against rocks...those were written by morally and culturally irrelevant goat herders who were set out to corrupt the word of the Lord.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Now the parent posted this because she was upset but just in a "OMG they grow up so fast" kind of way, but still proud that her 9 year old daughter is so smart. I obviously think it's awesome but then the comments...
That's terrible!

Too smart for her own good!

I tell my kids if you don't believe you won't receive!

Kinda sad, really.
I'm all like...I can't despise you people any more than I do right now.

Imagephoto (2) by Kyle2007, on Flickr
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I tell my kids if you don't believe you won't receive!
Wow. This is the one that gets me. forcing a kid to decide between using logic and sharing their intellectual thoughts with you or getting presents for Christmas. Then again, it isn't much different than "believe Jesus is your savior or go to hell."
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It's "hear" you little smartypants.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's my basic take as of right now. As soon as Q figures it out, she's in on the joke with very harsh punishment if she spills it to the new one. Lying or taking the "trust me and don't think because I said so" approach seems harmful.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Although, if she was real smart and she's getting 40 bucks for a fucking tooth, she'd probably just play along.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:That's my basic take as of right now. As soon as Q figures it out, she's in on the joke with very harsh punishment if she spills it to the new one. Lying or taking the "trust me and don't think because I said so" approach seems harmful.
I think that the most awesome things about kids is the way see so much wonder in things that we tend to find mundane but yeah...I don't think we should buy into the idea that vacuous credulity is synonymous with childhood. Nothing wrong with fantasy but there's a fuck-ton of things left to be in awe over after you've figured out that magic isn't real.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:That's my basic take as of right now. As soon as Q figures it out, she's in on the joke with very harsh punishment if she spills it to the new one. Lying or taking the "trust me and don't think because I said so" approach seems harmful.
My oldest daughter was awesome in this regard. Once she knew she could tell us EXACTLY what she wanted it was golden.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

In a similar note, we do the Elf on the Shelf thing. Elfie made his return this past weekend, and my 5 year old daughter wasn't buying it. My 7 year old son is stretching his imagination to allow himself to keep the magic alive. He has taken over the role of explaining to my daughter. I had a hard time with the Santa lies when my son was young, but my wife really wanted to give them to excitement of believing, so I played along. When he was 5, he said he didn't think Santa was real, because it didn't make sense for some guy he doesn't know to fly around the world to give him presents. I asked him if Santa wasn't giving him presents, who did he think they came from. "I don't know, maybe Grandma and Grandpa, that makes more sense." I was proud, and told him the truth. I got in a lot of trouble with the wife over that, and she convinced him Santa was real.

Back to the Elf, my daughter kept saying he looks like a toy, and has toy hair, how can he move by himself. She was really pushing it, but caved to my son's explanation of magic. she is still leery, but the excitement of finding him every morning and seeing what crazy adventure he had the night before wins out. I will create a thread and post the pics. We have a lot of fun creating scenes. Last year, Elfie brought his girlfriend, a felt gingerbread man, around with him. This year, as Sofia the First doll is his girlfriend. My daughter doesn't understand how Elfie can be real, but have a toy as a girlfriend. They both look like toys, so how can one turn into a real person? Magic. And if it doesn't make sense or we can't explain something, it is because Elfie doesn't want us to know how it works.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oops, forgot to put the fucking elf out last night. Shit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ours has been sitting in the same spot for like 5 nights now. No one seems to care.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Ours has been sitting in the same spot for like 5 nights now. No one seems to care.
The fucking elf most of all, clearly!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Ours has been sitting in the same spot for like 5 nights now.
Me too. My underwear and socks are pretty psyched for Christmas at this point.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You guys are lucky. My kid is all over that shit. You can't miss a beat.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:You guys are lucky. My kid is all over that shit. You can't miss a beat.
That's why I'm pissed at myself. I probably blew it already.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't take credit. I forget basically every night. Fortunately the wife gets up at 6:00 every morning.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote:My daughter doesn't understand how Elfie can be real, but have a toy as a girlfriend.
I know some websites you can show her to help clarify.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:
The Sybian wrote:My daughter doesn't understand how Elfie can be real, but have a toy as a girlfriend.
I know some websites you can show her to help clarify.
"This is Daddy's fleshlight. This is how he uses it."
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Just read a post that said "Almost back to working out -- At (Crossfit Location)"

and then two replies after asking if she was sick or hurt, the response was "Kinda both...I had rhabdo."

Yes, it's time to get back working out at the crossfit gym.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote:In a similar note, we do the Elf on the Shelf thing. Elfie made his return this past weekend, and my 5 year old daughter wasn't buying it. My 7 year old son is stretching his imagination to allow himself to keep the magic alive. He has taken over the role of explaining to my daughter. I had a hard time with the Santa lies when my son was young, but my wife really wanted to give them to excitement of believing, so I played along. When he was 5, he said he didn't think Santa was real, because it didn't make sense for some guy he doesn't know to fly around the world to give him presents. I asked him if Santa wasn't giving him presents, who did he think they came from. "I don't know, maybe Grandma and Grandpa, that makes more sense." I was proud, and told him the truth. I got in a lot of trouble with the wife over that, and she convinced him Santa was real.

Back to the Elf, my daughter kept saying he looks like a toy, and has toy hair, how can he move by himself. She was really pushing it, but caved to my son's explanation of magic. she is still leery, but the excitement of finding him every morning and seeing what crazy adventure he had the night before wins out. I will create a thread and post the pics. We have a lot of fun creating scenes. Last year, Elfie brought his girlfriend, a felt gingerbread man, around with him. This year, as Sofia the First doll is his girlfriend. My daughter doesn't understand how Elfie can be real, but have a toy as a girlfriend. They both look like toys, so how can one turn into a real person? Magic. And if it doesn't make sense or we can't explain something, it is because Elfie doesn't want us to know how it works.

Way to teach your kids that the Elf has a new girlfriend each year. When are you going to explain the concept of a mistress to them?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote:Just read a post that said "Almost back to working out -- At (Crossfit Location)"

and then two replies after asking if she was sick or hurt, the response was "Kinda both...I had rhabdo."

Reminds me I had a question to ask you. Are you familiar with stronglifts? I found it and I kinda built my own thing with that as my base. I do a mix of that + circuit type stuff + some crazy stuff I saw on a Youtube video with Mike Rashid called overtrain chest and I'm almost jacked again!

Also, any suggestions for creatine? I am going to try Rule 1 protein on a friend suggestion. This is as serious as I've gymmed since 2009 when I had a bench competition with Klompus that fizzled out in like a month.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

You're overhead pressing with your shoulder issue?

And creatine is creatine pretty much. You can get 600 grams from Optimum Nutrition for like $15 on Amazon.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote:You're overhead pressing with your shoulder issue?

And creatine is creatine pretty much. You can get 600 grams from Optimum Nutrition for like $15 on Amazon.

Yes, the doc said I can do whatever I can do. I can do dips 90% of the way down and overhead presses and everything. The only place I have limitations is on squats, which I'm told is due to the unusual location of the tear. But even that is getting better.

And anything that strengthens the shoulder is probably beneficial.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:You're overhead pressing with your shoulder issue?

Yes, the doc said I can do whatever I can do. I can do dips 90% of the way down and overhead presses and everything. The only place I have limitations is on squats, which I'm told is due to the unusual location of the tear. But even that is getting better.

And anything that strengthens the shoulder is probably beneficial.
You're lucky -- a lot of people with shoulder issues get banished from overhead lifts for a long time/life.

How long have you been doing the SL base? I'd add some variation in there if you've been doing it for 4-6 months and you're looking for hypertrophy. Going 6x3/5x5/3x10 over the 3x per week is a good start, or you can even go 5x5/3x10/3x15 if you wanted to. You'll then just want to go really high reps on the circuit stuff at the end of the 3x15 workout.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Just a month and a half at this point. I only do ten reps on the circuit stuff, I'll lower the weight and bump it up to see how that works.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

There are many ways to injure a shoulder, so all advice from someone who doesn't know about a specific condition should be taken as something to look into, at best. But here's mine, for what it's worth. I'm simply passing along what doctors and physical therapists have told me over the decades. They have seemed like pretty sharp people with good explanations behind their advice. I wish I had heard this when I originally messed up my shoulder in the 70s. When I follow their advice, I generally do OK.

I was told that there are nine good exercises for the deltoids and muscles in the upper back that stabilize the shoulder capsule. Two of them were the highest priority -- internal and external rotations (with elbow fixed at hip). The other seven include shoulder and inverted flys in several planes, two types of rows, and the face pull. Obviously the number is actually higher, as there are variations on devices (e.g., weights, machines, bands), angles (e.g., band directions, incline, decline), and specific technique (e.g., hand position).

I was told that overhead presses were a bad idea for pretty much everyone with problems in the shoulder capsule, simply because of the anatomy of that area. To a lesser extent, the same with dips, chest flys and the bench press. I do these exercises now and then, but with a much lower-than-usual percentage of my max (theoretical, as I'd never attempt to find my actual max) in the case of the overhead press and benching, and a limited range of motion on the flys and dip.

Are these limitations annoying? Hell yes. Moreso when I was burdened by the vanity of a 30 year old. But even now, when I see other guys doing what I shouldn't do at the gym. Some people long to eat a good steak. I long for the feeling of doing a full-range chest fly with loaded dumbells. Really loaded. But I'm never going to ski out of bounds at Aspen again. And I'm never going to load up the dumbells and hit the bench. Downside >>>> Upside.

Do I wish I had followed this advice more? Hell yes. I'd have spent a lot less time unable to play sports over the past 40 years. And I'd have a lot more functionality today. Including a lot more ability to do challenging lifts.

Something I've learned over the years: If good advice was easy to follow, it wouldn't really be 'good advice.' It would be common sense. Good advice worth it's salt has obvious and large downsides. But any old guy with half a brain will tell you, it would be wise to follow good advice as young as possible. Especially about things where you don't really get full second chances. Like your body.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

JFC people, I'm just going on what the doctor who actually performed the surgery just told me.

My shoulder problem is mild as far as shoulder problems are concerned.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

To each their own, of course.

But what I've learned about shoulders over the years, from people who seem smart to me, is that the shoulder is the most unique and weakest joint in the body. It's a ball and socket form, designed for an amazing range of motion. This has the downside of making it fragile. If you stress the shoulder capsule, over time the odds are high that it will break down. It doesn't take much to stress it. And once broken, it can't be repaired to perfect order.

I would take any advice from any shoulder surgeon with the greatest of grains of salt, and seek other opinions. Especially if they tell you that 'it's all fixed now' due to the wonders of surgery, and you can blissfully return to the things that other smart, experienced people, who don't have the 'break it - fix it' mindset of surgeons, believe to be high risk.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It's not "all fixed now". I'm not even allowed to lightly throw anything until late January. But the labrum is fixed to the point that I can lift things over my head.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DC47 wrote:
I would take any advice from any shoulder surgeon with the greatest of grains of salt, and seek other opinions.
Ain't that the truth. I saw several surgeons who all wanted to perform different surgeries. Went with 2 different surgeons' PT regimes with physical therapist, one including regular cortisone injections. None of it helped. One dude wanted to shave the bone. Finally had them scoped and the doc found both labrums torn. It took 10 years to get that diagnosis. Could barely throw a ball, and when I did, I had to stop within a few minutes. took a couple years to become pain free, and my shoulder still occasionally goes out from motions like playing squash. Feels like something gets stuck in the joint then pushed through by the continued motion. Hurts like hell, makes a loud pop, then my arm goes numb for 10 minutes.

I still have issues lifting. Any press, back exercise and some triceps always hurt my shoulders before I feel the muscle burn. I have never had an issue, post surgery, injuring anything lifting, but it seriously limits the weight I can do. I have no need to bulk up, so lower weight is fine. I still get a good enough workout.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:Hell yes. Moreso when I was burdened by the vanity of a 30 year old.
I would gladly bear the burden of a 30yo Vanity:

(My dear boy, Vanity was this lo-talent singer from the 80s. Well, as JoeBob would say, she had two big talents.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I'm glad your surgery went well. Sometimes they find an unfortunate surprise when they open you up.

To be clear, by "now" I didn't mean shortly after the surgery. I'm referring to the general attitude that surgery makes it all better. Back to something very close to new. In my view, this is often less true than surgeons claim. And this is very much so with the shoulder capsule. But of course, I may be wrong regarding your specific injury. Based on what I have learned, I wouldn't assume any surgeon is 100% right about how solid the shoulder is if it's been seriously injured. And I find it hard to believe that any shoulder requiring surgery has been only mildly injured.

Also to be clear, I would never say that anyone with a shoulder injury shouldn't lift "things." I am suggesting that lifting (or throwing, or many other) movements that cause a pretty high level of stress to the shoulder capsule poses significant risk for just about everyone with a shoulder injury -- and most people who don't (yet) have one.

The arm is a long lever that serves to multiply force. The shoulder is a ball and socket, designed for maximum flexibility in multiple planes rather than stability. This posed no significant problem for our ancient ancestors. But the shoulder just wasn't designed for the forces placed on it by many of our modern day sporting-type activities which use the long lever of the arm. It's perhaps the single area of the human body that we should handle with the most restraint. Okay, perhaps it's the second.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:
DC47 wrote:Hell yes. Moreso when I was burdened by the vanity of a 30 year old.
I would gladly bear the burden of a 30yo Vanity:

(My dear boy, Vanity was this lo-talent singer from the 80s. Well, as JoeBob would say, she had two big talents.)
Well of course. I think I read something about her just a few years back. She's off the drugs, has a major health problem and has found her lord. And still looks very nice.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:Just read a post that said "Almost back to working out -- At (Crossfit Location)"

Ugh. This is why CrossFit gets a bad rap. I really hope her coaches tell her to stay out of the gym for a while. You'd think that your muscles breaking down, turning your piss brown, and your kidneys working overtime would give someone the hint. So fucking dumb.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Sybian wrote:
DC47 wrote:
I would take any advice from any shoulder surgeon with the greatest of grains of salt, and seek other opinions.
Ain't that the truth. I saw several surgeons who all wanted to perform different surgeries. Went with 2 different surgeons' PT regimes with physical therapist, one including regular cortisone injections. None of it helped. One dude wanted to shave the bone. Finally had them scoped and the doc found both labrums torn. It took 10 years to get that diagnosis. Could barely throw a ball, and when I did, I had to stop within a few minutes. took a couple years to become pain free, and my shoulder still occasionally goes out from motions like playing squash. Feels like something gets stuck in the joint then pushed through by the continued motion. Hurts like hell, makes a loud pop, then my arm goes numb for 10 minutes.

I still have issues lifting. Any press, back exercise and some triceps always hurt my shoulders before I feel the muscle burn. I have never had an issue, post surgery, injuring anything lifting, but it seriously limits the weight I can do. I have no need to bulk up, so lower weight is fine. I still get a good enough workout.
After decades of on-and-off shoulder trouble, doctors, and physical therapy the most useful PT advice I've gotten is to regularly work on the specific muscles that do the most stabilize the shoulder capsule. I was told these are little known and mostly invisible (so not fun for the vanity lifters). They are hard to work with exercise; that is, most common upper body routines don't work them very much because other muscles are bearing the load. These four rotator cuff stabilizers are: infraspinitus, suprasinitus, teres minor, and subscapularis. I'm not actually sure about the last one, but picked it up from the diagram here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff; I may have learned about it under a different name, long ago.

Further, my understanding is that the standard upper body exercise routines create muscle imbalances by focusing on large, visible muscles, especially on the front of the body. These imbalances mean that greater stress can be imposed on the shoulder, but that the stabilizing muscles haven't been strengthened enough to handle them.

If you do the exercises that focus on these four muscles, do you have the problem of pain prior to feeling the muscle burn?