Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:18 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:48 pm Not for nothing, but I am really really enjoying the Rings of Power dealie.
Finally watched it all. Me too. Last couple of episodes especially were great.
Yeah / it really hit its stride about halfway through.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm Did anyone catch the premiere of "The Last of Us"? (HBO) last night?

The GF had read some stories about it, so she wanted to check it out. I'd heard of it, and knew it was a Zombie thing, but had never played the video game its based on.

Gotta say...pretty pleasantly surprised. The opening part, when the infection breaks out, was scary and creepy as hell.

The second part, where they introduce more of the characters and "set the stage", wasn't as good, but still interesting. Will be looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

And does Pedro Pascal now have the "older guy shepherding a younger person" corner totally sown up, between this and the Mandolorian?
Watched episode 1 - all in. That was just superb tv.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am HERE IS THE HOST OF JEOPARDYYYY, LESLIE JONES!
You shut the fuck up. This is hate speech.
I will join a march on the Culver City studios if this is even hinted at.
The Leslie Jones Experience in one image

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Anybody watch the "continuation" of Night Court? I feel like it hit a lot of the right feels from the old one to set up the new one, but it may be too much at once. It may be okay once it finds its footing, but it's got a lot to live up to and I can't seeing it ever reaching that pedestal. And of course, like all sitcoms from the '80s and '90s, they kept the laugh track and it was way too much IMHO. Not sure if they could have done otherwise without changing the original feel of the show, but there was so much of it. I won't give up on it yet.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:57 am Anybody watch the "continuation" of Night Court? I feel like it hit a lot of the right feels from the old one to set up the new one, but it may be too much at once. It may be okay once it finds its footing, but it's got a lot to live up to and I can't seeing it ever reaching that pedestal. And of course, like all sitcoms from the '80s and '90s, they kept the laugh track and it was way too much IMHO. Not sure if they could have done otherwise without changing the original feel of the show, but there was so much of it. I won't give up on it yet.
Wife and I watched the first episode last night...I agree with your take. I'm not sure about Melissa Rauch in that lead role but I'll give it a handful of episodes before I make a decision.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I read the AV Club's review last week, have not watched the show. A couple quotes from the review that are related to the above, based on the reviewer having seen the entire first season...
The good news about Night Court is that it gets noticeably better as it works its way through its first season...

If you’re curious about it, don’t let the pilot throw you off, at least; check back in a few episodes later, once the show has actually hit its (often pretty funny) comedic stride.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 am
Reaper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:57 am Anybody watch the "continuation" of Night Court? I feel like it hit a lot of the right feels from the old one to set up the new one, but it may be too much at once. It may be okay once it finds its footing, but it's got a lot to live up to and I can't seeing it ever reaching that pedestal. And of course, like all sitcoms from the '80s and '90s, they kept the laugh track and it was way too much IMHO. Not sure if they could have done otherwise without changing the original feel of the show, but there was so much of it. I won't give up on it yet.
Wife and I watched the first episode last night...I agree with your take. I'm not sure about Melissa Rauch in that lead role but I'll give it a handful of episodes before I make a decision.
How long before cameo's from original cast members? Richard Moll is 80, Yakoff is still around, Mac passed last year, but there are a few other original folks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:17 pm
How long before cameo's from original cast members? Richard Moll is 80, Yakoff is still around, Mac passed last year, but there are a few other original folks.
But then they'd have to address the original finale.

From what I've read on Twitter the ratings for the premiere were surprisingly good?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:57 pm
But then they'd have to address the original finale.

From what I've read on Twitter the ratings for the premiere were surprisingly good?
Yeah but they won't have to go back to the fact that Judge Harry Stone was a lacrosse goalie (Season 6 Episode 11)

Also better cameo--- Mel Torme in Night Court or Mel Torme in Seinfeld.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't remember his Seinfeld appearance but for some reason Night Court is the second thing I associate with him after a couple of Christmas songs.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:20 pm I don't remember his Seinfeld appearance but for some reason Night Court is the second thing I associate with him after a couple of Christmas songs.
His Seinfeld appearance was the tops!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brewed less than ten miles away:
Velvet Fog.jpeg
Velvet Fog.jpeg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 678 times
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:20 pm I don't remember his Seinfeld appearance but for some reason Night Court is the second thing I associate with him after a couple of Christmas songs.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Of the main characters many are dead...in addition to Harry Anderson and Mac, Markie Post (Christine) also died around the same time as Mac. Marsha Warfield reportedly said she has not been approached about an appearance.
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wish I could find the clip of most of them spontaneously busting into Banana Boat while coming up with a lie about what they were talking about in Harry’s office.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:56 pm I wish I could find the clip of most of them spontaneously busting into Banana Boat while coming up with a lie about what they were talking about in Harry’s office.
Night Court of the Living Dead, season 6 episode 8. It’s on Amazon prime (via freevee). About 17:45 in.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You’re a saint.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:59 pmYou’re a saint.
Rass pulled that from memory. Last saw it 15 years ago.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Harry Anderson, who played the judge on Night Court, also had some memorable appearances on Cheers.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:42 pm
Of the main characters many are dead...in addition to Harry Anderson and Mac, Markie Post (Christine) also died around the same time as Mac. Marsha Warfield reportedly said she has not been approached about an appearance.
Marsha Warfield has guest-starred on 9-1-1 the past few years. It took me forever to figure out the link. IMDB says that she had a 20-year gap between TV appearances.

(And yes, my wife and I watch way too many cop and firefighter and hospital shows. But ironically, not the ones from the franchise set in Chicago.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Looks like Night Court got the highest broadcast debut in almost five years (The Conners in 2018) with 7.4 million viewers and a full Nielsen share, which is very rare these days.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:44 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am HERE IS THE HOST OF JEOPARDYYYY, LESLIE JONES!
You shut the fuck up. This is hate speech.
I will join a march on the Culver City studios if this is even hinted at.
The Leslie Jones Experience in one image
I come not to defend Leslie Jones per se but the hate mail she must receive has to be the worst of the worst as far as that stuff goes. I wouldn’t wish those people on anyone.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:11 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm Did anyone catch the premiere of "The Last of Us"? (HBO) last night?

The GF had read some stories about it, so she wanted to check it out. I'd heard of it, and knew it was a Zombie thing, but had never played the video game its based on.

Gotta say...pretty pleasantly surprised. The opening part, when the infection breaks out, was scary and creepy as hell.

The second part, where they introduce more of the characters and "set the stage", wasn't as good, but still interesting. Will be looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

And does Pedro Pascal now have the "older guy shepherding a younger person" corner totally sown up, between this and the Mandolorian?
Watched episode 1 - all in. That was just superb tv.
It is without a doubt the most emotionally impactful game Ive ever played. The story arc and writing was incredibly good. I’m waiting for the proper time to start the tv show, but since they really took their time making it, I trust it will be superb.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:49 pm Looks like Night Court got the highest broadcast debut in almost five years (The Conners in 2018) with 7.4 million viewers and a full Nielsen share, which is very rare these days.
Nostalgia appears to still be the winner when it comes to drawing eyeballs
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I’m hitting a wall near the final couple episodes of season one of Goliath. Olivia Thirlby’s acting chops are being exposed. It feels like she’s got the range of a Barbara Bain.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I laughed:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The cold open on last of us episode 2 was a banger.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We really enjoyed The Resort which we finished last night. Fun show especially if you’re missing The White Lotus and like mysteries. I’m also a little buzzed and feel like I posted about this already but I don’t have rass-type memory on my best day, so apologies if so.

I think I have Kelli onboard to try The Last of Us.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:47 pm I’m hitting a wall near the final couple episodes of season one of Goliath. Olivia Thirlby’s acting chops are being exposed. It feels like she’s got the range of a Barbara Bain.
I understand exactly 0% of this critique. Don’t know the show, don’t know the actor and don’t know the comparison.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:47 pm It feels like she’s got the range of a Barbara Bain.
don’t know the actor and don’t know the comparison.
Pretty obscure reference there by EnochRoot. I’d venture that I’m just about the only other one hereabouts to remember Barbara Bain, an interesting looking actress of limited range (Enoch may disagree), who is most notable for being among the stars in the ensemble cast of the late-1960s TV drama series, Mission Impossible.
Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 pm The cold open on last of us episode 2 was a banger.
That whole episode. Holy shit. That was so intense.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:47 pm It feels like she’s got the range of a Barbara Bain.
Pretty obscure reference there by EnochRoot. I’d venture that I’m just about the only other one hereabouts to remember Barbara Bain, an interesting looking actress of limited range (Enoch may disagree), who is most notable for being among the stars in the ensemble cast of the late-1960s TV drama series, Mission Impossible.
And star of "Space 1999" with her husband Martin Landau
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:54 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 pm The cold open on last of us episode 2 was a banger.
Yeah - I noted that as the cold open ended - whole episode was fantastic again. It is so well done.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 pm We really enjoyed The Resort which we finished last night. Fun show especially if you’re missing The White Lotus and like mysteries. I’m also a little buzzed and feel like I posted about this already but I don’t have rass-type memory on my best day, so apologies if so.
I think I was the only one to tout that show here, so close.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:42 am
Yeah - I noted that as the cold open ended - whole episode was fantastic again. It is so well done.
I think I'm having a bit of a hard time with it (though I have enjoyed both episodes and am very much looking forward to it) BECAUSE I played the game first. That game was an edge of your seat kinda ride and I haven't gotten that far yet with this.

Plus they need to be scavenging more shells and shit than they are!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Is anyone else('s wife) watching Ginny & Georgia? Gilmore Girls on all the drugs.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:13 am Is anyone else('s wife) watching Ginny & Georgia? Gilmore Girls on all the drugs.
I think my oldest watched after she finished GG.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:12 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 pm
And star of "Space 1999" with her husband Martin Landau
^Yeah, that’s my reference point. She was like Data, without the makeup.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm a mark for apocalyptical stuff and I love the twist for the baddies.
[+] spoiler
I saw a documentary that talked about fungi a number of years ago and it freaked me the fuck out. The actually talked about the ant-related fungus and it gave me some nightmares. So, yeah, this approach hits home... or whatever.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Velma has literally hit so low that its now IMDB's lowest rated television show in history. And they're still talking about a second season. I had to jump in and watch the first two episodes and I can agree, its truly awful.

I can't even describe how awful the characters are, how outright mean the scripting is, especially Velma who is amazingly one of the most unlikeable characters that I've ever seen. The animation is terrible except for these brilliant I guess you'd call them dream sequences.

On top of it, its not really Scooby Doo, there's no dog
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..