Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

Oh no! I can vouch for the benefits of covid infection. 2-3 bad days then 5-7 days of peace. Worth it.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:01 pm Oh no! I can vouch for the benefits of covid infection. 2-3 bad days then 5-7 days of peace. Worth it.
it's not an exaggeration to say that I went from a day where I had nothing planned but lying around to recover to being up and down the stairs constantly.

God bless her, but my wife is exactly what the stereotypical man is when he is sick. Fever of 99.5 and she thinks she's dying. Each cough is extended and made louder. First sip of soup means I have to get a garbage can so she can vomit. (She didn't - the soup is gone, and can is empty).

Hopefully I can medicate the hell out of her tomorrow so I can watch football.

Time for a mega dose of CBD oil - need to find some calm here.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Tested positive again yesterday and am really pissed off that I am missing some of the last chances to golf this year.

Symptoms minor, although I was tired yesterday. Heart flutters, will be speaking to my cardiologist later.

Last time I had the flu badly, I was laid up for a couple of weeks. That was close to 30 years ago. I guess part of the frustration is that (thankfully) it has been that long since I had a lingering virus.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seems from kid and me that the virus sticks around a lot longer than the tests would indicate. No need to push yourself. I havent played golf even semi-regularly in 10-15 years but WGT golf on android is a great time killer. Id probably pick up Tiger Woods on the wii today and waste a few weeks.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Got booster #2(bivalent) and flu shot on Friday afternoon. So strange to feel like crap all day yesterday knowing that I wasn't really sick. Back to normal today.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Didn’t affect me at all. Must have gotten one of the placebos or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:07 pm Got booster #2(bivalent) and flu shot on Friday afternoon. So strange to feel like crap all day yesterday knowing that I wasn't really sick. Back to normal today.
#2? I’ve had 3 boosters (five shots total).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:41 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:07 pm Got booster #2(bivalent) and flu shot on Friday afternoon. So strange to feel like crap all day yesterday knowing that I wasn't really sick. Back to normal today.
#2? I’ve had 3 boosters (five shots total).
Yeah, just #2 (4th shot), unless I'm miscounting. April April, October, COVID in May, Booster #2 just now.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

parents (and likely MIL) got covid last couple of weeks.they're down in md.
we are still corona free in this house!
so they aren't coming up for the 1yo bday party i don't want my wife to throw saturday.
that aside, got a text in the family chat from my old man.
still suffering from whatever variant he caught. although now that is gone but now has pneumonia and an enlarged heart.
that doesn't seem like a good thing for a 77yo with history of a quadruple bypass and other assort ailments.
typically, he said here's what's happened. don't call me, ask your mother. and turned off his phone.
i'm kind of worried but kind of not. unsure if anything i can do. my mom hates to cook so i'm sending them freshly cooked meals (dc/md area) starting on sunday. my sister is down there but she's got her hands full w 3 kids and a new job at the courthouse. brotehr is out in La looking very west coasty.
so. old folks got covid. mom recovered, dad is gotten worse. worry?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man. I’d mostly be worried if they weren’t taking it seriously and your dad turning off the phone is worrisome, I guess.

Will your mom be honest if he’s not getting better and will he listen to her?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:23 pm parents (and likely MIL) got covid last couple of weeks.they're down in md.
we are still corona free in this house!
so they aren't coming up for the 1yo bday party i don't want my wife to throw saturday.
that aside, got a text in the family chat from my old man.
still suffering from whatever variant he caught. although now that is gone but now has pneumonia and an enlarged heart.
that doesn't seem like a good thing for a 77yo with history of a quadruple bypass and other assort ailments.
typically, he said here's what's happened. don't call me, ask your mother. and turned off his phone.
i'm kind of worried but kind of not. unsure if anything i can do. my mom hates to cook so i'm sending them freshly cooked meals (dc/md area) starting on sunday. my sister is down there but she's got her hands full w 3 kids and a new job at the courthouse. brotehr is out in La looking very west coasty.
so. old folks got covid. mom recovered, dad is gotten worse. worry?
Jeez, Flaco. That sounds like a lot. Good luck.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 pm Sorry man. I’d mostly be worried if they weren’t taking it seriously and your dad turning off the phone is worrisome, I guess.

Will your mom be honest if he’s not getting better and will he listen to her?
my dad's very old school. doesn't want anyone knowing he's sick. didn't want to tallk about it or have someone make a big deal (it is!!)

my mom will call and whisper or text or email... and far as he listening to her? that's a coin flip... es muy terco...in which case my sister will come over (she lives 25mins away) so far so good. tks.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So my wife just tested positive for COVID. She likely picked it up from her mother last weekend. I just tested negative. I’ll test again tomorrow and assume I’ll test positive. This wipes out our plans to travel to my parents’ house in FL today (to return a week before Christmas) to spend it with her mother.

We’re both fully vaxxed / thrice boosted. Sucks.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Thrice boosted? A third booster came out?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:31 am Thrice boosted? A third booster came out?
They’re already talking about a fourth one.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:40 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:31 am Thrice boosted? A third booster came out?
I think I missed the second one. I got one around a year ago, and another one about a month ago. I have to go check my card.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:46 am
I think I missed the second one. I got one around a year ago, and another one about a month ago. I have to go check my card.
You must have missed one. I’ve gotten five shots total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:58 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:46 am
You must have missed one. I’ve gotten five shots total.
Wasnt one of those boosters only available to 50+ for a while? Eligibility eventually expanded to everyone, but it didn’t get much attention.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I just tested positive earlier this AM. So far it just feels like a pretty strong flu.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good luck man. Wife ok?

My sister in law got it for the the first time last week. She felt pretty shitty and was convinced it wasn’t just CV19 but her PP (via telehealth) basically made her beg before she could get an antibiotic. Once she started that she felt better almost immediately so probably had strep along with it.

We were talking to my 80 year old MIL today and realized she never got the latest poke this fall. We tried taking her today but couldn’t find an open appt/walk-in. Gonna give her shit until she does.

Vaccine burnout is real.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Wife is doing a heck of a lot better than I am, which suggests to me this has the shelf-life of a typical seasonal flu.

Vax burnout: we’re staying the course, but I’ve known of one person who fell off because her daughter experienced Long COVID, and got some off-the-record advice from a physician who said
[+] spoiler
it could’ve been booster-related.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:39 pm

Vaccine burnout is real.
Sure is, took you guys to push me to get my family the current booster.

Hope you and your wife are feeling better soon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So my wife and I took antigen tests this past Thursday, and we're still positive. I still feel like it's with me. Been running a fever the past 8 days. Been sleeping a like a freakin champ though. It is what it is.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The wife has it now. Man she does a ton of shit around the house. What am I going to do? This sucks.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

duff wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:33 pm The wife has it now. Man she does a ton of shit around the house. What am I going to do? This sucks.
You'll have it soon as well, no? Mask up and hit a Costco or your local grocery store and stock up.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:09 pm
duff wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:33 pm The wife has it now. Man she does a ton of shit around the house. What am I going to do? This sucks.
You'll have it soon as well, no? Mask up and hit a Costco or your local grocery store and stock up.
We are masked up. Oldest daughter had it right before Thanksgiving. I had it mid May. Just trying to keep the youngest healthy ( out at least covid free).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

duff wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:12 pm
We are masked up. Oldest daughter had it right before Thanksgiving. I had it mid May. Just trying to keep the youngest healthy ( out at least covid free).
We don't have children, so I can imagine the added complications...

Still, my wife visited my MIL's house to help her clear out a floor in her house a couple weeks ago, and she came back with the pandemic.

Ay.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Get instacart or one of those grocery delivery companies to get you what you need. Try to get some rest. All of you!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:25 pm
Get instacart or one of those grocery delivery companies to get you what you need. Try to get some rest. All of you!
Frozen food is defrosted and anything fresh is decomposing by the time the Amish can get it to the house. And it all smells like horse shit.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:25 pm
Frozen food is defrosted and anything fresh is decomposing by the time the Amish can get it to the house. And it all smells like horse shit.
Can you order from the store then go pick it up? The order can still get fucked up but it minimizes face-to-face time with anyone.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Should have done some more research

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's funny until you get to the part about her supporters openly calling for the murders of the medical staff who tried to treat this woman.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Say wut now? Just gonna throw that in there? Weren't people saying that was racist trash to suggest and now it's official govt position? Sounds kinda like a china virus. If that's what you believe might want to do something about that Biden.

"WASHINGTON—The U.S. Energy Department has concluded that the Covid pandemic most likely arose from a laboratory leak, according to a classified intelligence report recently provided to the White House and key members of Congress.

In addition to the Energy Department, the F.B.I. has also concluded, with moderate confidence, that the virus first emerged accidentally from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a Chinese lab that worked on coronaviruses."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:23 pm Say wut now? Just gonna throw that in there? Weren't people saying that was racist trash to suggest and now it's official govt position? Sounds kinda like a china virus. If that's what you believe might want to do something about that Biden.

"WASHINGTON—The U.S. Energy Department has concluded that the Covid pandemic most likely arose from a laboratory leak, according to a classified intelligence report recently provided to the White House and key members of Congress.

In addition to the Energy Department, the F.B.I. has also concluded, with moderate confidence, that the virus first emerged accidentally from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a Chinese lab that worked on coronaviruses."
People would still say that it'd be racist to say, "sounds kinda like a CHYYY-NAH virus."

Cuz that's how it was sold to the public (without any intelligence to back it up). In fact, all Trump did was to slash a program that had CDC staff in Wuhan to monitor coronaviruses. Or, you know, he could've just made wearing a mask a patriotic duty and he might've won in 2020. But he's a freakin moron.

So he has that going for him.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Definitely remember Jon Stewart catching a world of shit after this interview:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

From what I understand, lab leak isn't official government position, but the Energy Department are now saying that with a "low level of certainty" they believe a lab leak is the likely cause. Yes, the way Trump pushed the lab leak theory as the CHINA VIRUS was very scape goatey and led to lots of anti-Asian hate crimes, but I always thought that was the most likely cause. I really never understood how discussing the possibility of a lab leak got people banned from Twitter and labeled as a RW racist hate-monger.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I agree with you on the lab leak theory, but what is the Department of Energy's angle?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:17 pmI really never understood how discussing the possibility of a lab leak got people banned from Twitter and labeled as a RW racist hate-monger.
Its kinda like how if a minority commits a crime, you can mention it as a factual piece of the story or you can make it the whole focus of the story.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's all about context, tone and framing.

Trump and MAGA world had zero intelligence to go on. They were just throwing it out and being extremely aggressive about the Asian/China racism angle.

I've always thought the lab leak seemed pretty plausible. And quite frankly, there's some measure of reassurance if that's what actually happened. The Chinese undoubtedly learned from their mistake and tightened up their shit.

Not a helluva lot we can do about bats and open air markets in Asia/Africa.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It was an intentional lab leak though to make t look bad so he'd lose an election and then chyna wouldn't have to deal with a usa president that was tough and would stand up to them.

broken clocks and all