Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by L-Jam3 »

It's been mentioned before, but the utter political failure can be reiterated here. If TFG showed even the tiniest modicum of concern and attention, he could've used COVID as a Rally 'Round the Flag moment and would've sailed to reelection. He didn't even need great success, he just needed to show that he was doing something. Anything. But because he's too dumb, too incompetent, and too lazy, hundreds of thousands of Americans are dead from this who didn't have to. I'd argue that some cogent action would've saved as many lives as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:54 pm It's been mentioned before, but the utter political failure can be reiterated here. If TFG showed even the tiniest modicum of concern and attention, he could've used COVID as a Rally 'Round the Flag moment and would've sailed to reelection. He didn't even need great success, he just needed to show that he was doing something. Anything. But because he's too dumb, too incompetent, and too lazy, hundreds of thousands of Americans are dead from this who didn't have to. I'd argue that some cogent action would've saved as many lives as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
I maintain that if Trump had done even a C+ job managing the Covid Response, he would have breezed to re-election.

Instead we got him touring the CDC and saying "I'm a natural at this", and hijacking those WH daily briefings and asking about injecting bleach.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:43 pm It was an intentional lab leak though to make t look bad so he'd lose an election and then chyna wouldn't have to deal with a usa president that was tough and would stand up to them.

broken clocks and all
100% agree this was Trump's angle and based on nothing other than shifting the blame away from him and pandering to his base. I also think in Trump's eyes, the racial attacks were a bonus as it improved his ratings and deepened his cult's support. It was dangerous and despicable and done out of self-interest and laziness (it's easier to lob words than actually try to contain a pandemic). What I have a problem with is the banning of discussing information that is now considered likely true and the tarring and feathering of journalists who tried to investigate, labeling them as RW conspiracists.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Broken clocks but maybe if the hour hand still worked. Jon Stewart didn't seem to think the theory was all that difficult ... Look at the building!

No clue where one would get confidence in Beijing. Govt interference, lack of transparency, obstruction don't usually lead to increased compliance. If the likely scenario is true that also means active coverup from highest govt levels.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If you want to spike your blood pressure while simultaneously collectively patting the vast majority of this group on the back, go back and read our discussion and insight during the first few months of this shitshow in Feb/March/April of 2020.

The Trump stuff is absolutely infuriating. It's so far from hyperbole to state as fact that his actions lead to the death of 100s of thousands of Americans.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm tempted to start a thread and pull out some of the greatest hits. There's a post about the night that ESPN announced that the NBA was suspended, and there's now a 30 for 30 (or something of that ilk) featuring SVP and producers, players and many others talking about that night.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:04 pm

No clue where one would get confidence in Beijing. Govt interference, lack of transparency, obstruction don't usually lead to increased compliance. If the likely scenario is true that also means active coverup from highest govt levels.
100% chance that if the lab leak is the cause, CCP knew and tried to cover it up. Also doesn't help from a compliance standpoint when Trump pulled the funding on the CDC program that included US government oversite on the safety precautions in the lab. He bragged about it before the pandemic, and it sounded like a catastrophically bad idea at the time. Kind of like his Tweets bragging about removing regulations on safer brakes and smaller trains when they are carrying toxic waste. Just more examples of GOP cutting funding, then blaming the Dems when the funding cuts cause major problems that end up costing exponentially more money.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't trust the numbers from the red states.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

the "where did all the people go" should be rather self-evident - even to economists...
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Well, 3 years in and it finally got us. Oldest tested positive over the weekend, wife yesterday. I'm expecting to be next soon, but hoping our youngest avoids it since he's more recently boosted.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

phxgators wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:12 am Well, 3 years in and it finally got us. Oldest tested positive over the weekend, wife yesterday. I'm expecting to be next soon, but hoping our youngest avoids it since he's more recently boosted.
Good luck. Coworker just left after getting it the second time. Thankfully I wasn't in his office for 30 minutes yesterday.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good luck phx
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

My turn! The 11 yr old is now in charge of the house.

All in all it could have been worse for the wife and oldest. Lots of congestion, but my wife at least is starting to feel better today.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good luck. Lots of iPad and "I don't care, whatever you want" for meals.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Yep. He's a good kid. We'll be playing some games online, probably DoorDash dinner. More worried about his loneliness while we're isolated than anything, but facetime will help with that.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That was the tough part. You don't want everyone else to get it, but you kinda do.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Everyone is bouncing back. The mental fog was real for a couple of days there. Perfect time to zone out to the tourney I guess. Youngest finally had some mild symptoms but never tested positive. We did relax our isolation at the onset of his symptoms for his mental health more than anything.

We were supposed to be busy with Rapids/kid's fencing tournament/theater this weekend but nothing instead. Personally, I'm not really good about sitting still, so hoping to continue to regain energy over the next couple of days. Hopefully we're all mostly back to normal by the end of the weekend.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Glad to hear everybody is on the mend.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hope everyone continues to improve PHX
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Dammit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

/thumbsdown

(feel better)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:46 pm Dammit.
Et tu, Steve?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:20 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:46 pm Dammit.
Et tu, Steve?
Yup.

This is all I fucking need, too. There's been so much drama and trauma over the past six weeks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, man.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Fucking Ireland.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 pmFucking Ireland.
It ended up not even being Ireland. While I was on the Swamp getting psyched up for a trip to Ireland, my son was deciding that he'd rather spend the extra days of our visit in Switzerland. So we spent 5 days based in Bern, Switzerland, in addition to a couple of days in Heidelberg and a couple of days in Freiburg in Breisgau.

These places were fantastic, except that my mom's cancer spread way faster than we or she anticipated. She had decided about a week before we left to stop doing chemo because the chemo was making her miserable. We agonized over whether to take the trip at all, but ultimately did it because it was our only chance to visit our son during the year, my mom did not want us to cancel, and she seemed to be in good shape anyway. My mom was a big time traveler over the last 25 years of her life. And there was no way we could postpone the trip by a couple of weeks - that would have sent a horrible message. So we reluctantly went to visit our son. My sister came up here from Phoenix to stay with my mom while we were gone.

My mom ended up dying on the morning of our return flight. Earlier in the week my sister had suggested we come back early - so we rebooked our flight to come back three days earlier. Then she said my mom was fine and we should not come back early. So we re-rebooked the flight to restore our original itinerary. But about two days before we were to fly back, she took a big downhill turn, and then she died the morning of our return flight.

Which ended up being another nightmare because of France and Air France. Two days before we were to leave, we got an email that the first leg of our return flight (from Stuttgart to Paris to Salt Lake) was canceled. My mom was still alive at this point, so there was no way we could extend our trip. So we re-re-rebooked it, to fly from Frankfurt to Paris instead of Stuttgart to Paris. Ok, fine. But when we get to the airport, Air France tells us that the flight is overbooked, and we have been put on standby. On a full flight. So we couldn’t make that flight.

So, we call Delta, and re-re-re-rebook our flight, so now we’re going from Frankfurt to Detroit and then SLC. It will get us in several hours later, but my mom had died that morning, so there was less of a rush.

But Air France had our bags. We had checked them at the counter when we were told we were on standby. There was plenty of time to retrieve the bags and reroute them for us – and we even had AirTags in our bags, so we could tell the Air France people exactly where the bags were. Nope. They wouldn’t do it.

So the flight back ends up okay, except that the Find My Items app tells us that my wife’s bag went to Paris without her, then appeared in *Kazakhstan*, then ended up in Osaka, Japan. She’s at the end of her rope and freaking out, in part because the stuff she bought on the trip was all in the suitcase, along with expensive medications and other property. And we didn’t actually have baggage tag numbers because the guy who checked us in for the overbooked flight to Paris didn’t give them to us. All we had were name tags (which ended up being enough.) Meanwhile, my bag sat there in the Frankfurt Airport for two full days after we left. The bags ended up getting to us a few days after we landed, so all’s well that ends well with that part of the saga.

We later decided that the bag’s appearance in Kazakhstan must have been a blip where the Air Tag somehow had a signal for half a second.

So, anyway, after 25 hours of travel, we get back home.

Meanwhile, a couple of days before we were to leave, my daughter called to tell us that my son’s cat, Woody, who she’d been watching while he was in Heidelberg for the year, had lost weight, wasn’t eating, and was very lethargic. I had her take a day off work to take Woody cat to the emergency vet because no appointment was available at the regular vet. $900 later, they didn’t really have much concrete information as to what was wrong with him. But I had to tell my son all this right away, because he was really mad when I hadn’t told him right away that my mom’s cancer had come back and he found out from my sister. He’s emotionally fraught already, and Woody is too young to be expected to die, and he feels guilty and shitty because he’s abandoned the cat. The first day we’re back in town, which of course is a Saturday, we take Woody to a different emergency vet. He was very close to death. But they gave him some fluids and treatment, and after about four hours there and another $700, we took him back home. By Monday, he started eating again and moving around much better. But after another couple of days, Woody went downhill again. Meanwhile we’re reporting his status to my son several times per day, dragging him through the emotional wringer.

Long story short, we had to put Woody down yesterday. Which my wife had to do on her own because I had to isolate due to Covid. (I’ve been staying at my mom’s now-unoccupied apartment. So I got that going for me, which is nice.)

And to top all this shit off, the weather in Germany and Switzerland was absolutely terrible for the entire trip except the last two days. And oh my hell, Switzerland is expensive. And the restaurants all shut down between 2 and 5 pm.

In conclusion, let me say “fuck cancer.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, that’s a really rough story. So sorry.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That’s horrible man. Condolences, so sorry.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Condolences, Steve.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck, Steve. Sorry. That’s like 4 individually awful things all stacked.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Wow Steve. So much going on for you. Hope your covid recovery goes quickly. Isolation on top of everything else sucks.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sorry to read that. I'll keep your family in prayers
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thanks, guys.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

steve, I am so sorry - thoughts to you and everyone in your family.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Oh man, that sounds awful. All of it. So sorry.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn Steve. Really sorry you’ve had to go through all that. Just shit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don’t think he needs to know that last part, Giff.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He’s had a lot going on. Just trying to be helpful here.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DMB fan with a scat hang up. Impossible.