Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:YouTube says this was uploaded 11 months ago, but I've never seen it. Has this been posted here already?

I made the mistake of looking into this, and it appears to be a fake. The church really existed, but the website in the video supposedly was not registered until January 2013, one month before the video posted. I'm curious when the video was made, because it looks old enough that they wouldn't be advertising a web site. Who knows, but I really wanted to believe this was real.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Best pastor ever...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Best pastor ever...

does the Bible say anything about DVR?
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A buddy of mine I CrossFit with is a churchgoer and knows I stay away from it all. He respects that; I respect his position and neither of us step on the other's toes. (Christians and Agnostics can exist together!)

Well, we took a little road trip to Frankfurt yesterday to get some Chipotle (Yes, we drove an hour and a half for 9 Euro burritos. Just not lest ye be judged, motherfuckers.) and on the ride up there he brought up a sermon where his pastor described a young boy, 16 or so, who had recognized in himself that his XBox playing was taking over his life. He told his father "Dad, I'm going to smash my XBox. It's too distracting for me." According to my friend the kid did smash the XBox and my friend said that his pastor then tied that to "a change in society where we don't go outside and socialize anymore" and "it's all too easy for us to be consumed by things that make you worse as a person" and all that. Some sort of anti-Jesus-y sinful something-or-other was tied into it and that's when I chimed in.

"So destroying an XBox means that this kid will now...do what? Isn't it wasteful and kind of absurd that a kid would destroy something instead of, I don't know, donating it and giving it to someone less fortunate?"

"Well, the thought process is the XBox led him down a path he didn't want to go to. He was consumed by it. So if he gave it away the person who then gets it will probably have the same temptation brought upon him and the cycle repeats. Destroying it is a way to break it."

"But...you know that an XBox is more than just for games, right? You can use Netflix or other streaming media services on it. Why couldn't the kid find a community center or a place that can use the streaming services to play educational programs? Instead he selfishly determined that what was destructive to him would be destructive to others. Pretty much anything not in moderation is bad for you....even water. So who's to say that someone would be consumed by it? Good on the kid for recognizing a problem, but there could have been a much more positive outcome in that scenario."

"Yea, but the pastor was describing our current times and how we're all too consumed with everything. I mean think back to the '50's. People would just go outside. People would be more active and there weren't any things like video games to waste days and days playing."

Instead of tackling the logic that the '50's were a better time, I just kind of let him say his piece but maintained that others could have benefited and it wasn't the right way to go about it. I hate discussions like this. They irrationally piss me off. If I have a problem in my life I try to settle it in the least dramatic, most pragmatic way. Maybe I'm different from everyone, but when I see Christians pose some sort of logic that implies sin is somewhere and must be destroyed, I roll my eyes. Video gaming has been around for a long, long time. Systems these days are par for our technological times. Sure, society has become fatter and lazier and things like XBoxes becoming de facto parents has something to do with it, but come on. Anyhoo, we finally got into Frankfurt and dropped it understanding each other's point but not really agreeing about it. Then we ate delicious Chipotle and everything was right with the world.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That's it! We just need to open a bunch of Chipotles in Israel, and the Palestinian conflict will be resolved! No carnitas or cheese on the steak burrito.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I still have no idea what that has to do with Jesus. Or was the priest saying that identifying a problem and making a change is a trait somehow exclusive to Christians?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It was said during a sermon at church. That's the only real connection.

And that the youth these days needs to go outside and play because we've lost our grasp in society because sinning and the devil and dumb logic.

The point is there is no point. It's a soapbox moment and finding Jesus will lead the way. Because God.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Mmmmmmmm. Chipotle. Being on a diet sucks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think the tie-in is resisting temptation. That's a pretty common church theme. Sermons aren't always directly Jesus-related.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I get the feeling that there's a website - maybe religiousmetaphors,com - where clergymen can type in a theme ("kids and their video games") and then print up a sermon.

I am almost positive that there's a place for Rabbis and eulogies, having heard a fond reminiscence of a cousin at her funeral that was pretty damn close to the one recited for my mother.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Mmmmmmmm. Chipotle. Being on a diet sucks.

If you just do the burrito bowl you can get a good meal for 6-700 calories. 300 fucking calories in a tortilla blows my mind. Granted, 6-700 calories may be a huge portion of your desired intake, but knowing you, you can run that off in a few days.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB_skin_test wrote:
brian wrote:Mmmmmmmm. Chipotle. Being on a diet sucks.

If you just do the burrito bowl you can get a good meal for 6-700 calories. 300 fucking calories in a tortilla blows my mind. Granted, 6-700 calories may be a huge portion of your desired intake, but knowing you, you can run that off in a few days.
Get the salad. It's great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You can't see him; he's electric.

Boogy Woogy Woogy.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

rass wrote:Image
I'd keep playing, I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for quite a while.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Full Show: Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Religion and the Universe
Bill Moyers interview with our fave science guy. 27 minutes.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Thanks Doc...that was great. He's absolutely right abut that "God of the Gaps" argument. Nobody thinks about it this way but you're literally taking ignorance and naming it God. It's the most pointless definition of a deity that anyone has ever come up with and if you do that, you're God is just going to keep getting smaller. The fact that we don't know how dark matter works isn't scary...it's exciting.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The new UConn coaching staff from Notre Dame doesn't understand that everyone isn't Christian...
"Just because you come to the University of Connecticut doesn't mean you won't have the opportunity to pursue your faith," Jones said. "No, you're going to be able to come here and love the God that you love. So we provide opportunities for them to grow spiritually in our community. So I'll get out and meet some people in the community so when this young man, for example, says, 'I'm a Seventh Day Adventist or I'm a Catholic or I'm a Baptist or I'm a Jehovah's Witness,' well, OK, here you go."

"And we're going to do things in our building, fellowship, non-denominational type things, players, coaches. We're going to make sure they understand that Jesus Christ should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships, then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior. That's going to be something said by Bob Diaco. That's something that's going to be said by Ernest Jones. That's who we are."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I thought this was pretty ingenious.

-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Clever. Needs a slot for FSM-ians. (I prefer this term to Pastafarian.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This candidate for Illinois State Rep blames Autism and dementia on support for gay marriage. I know this is nothing new, but I just wanted an excuse to post and say that Bill Richardson is looking terrible these days. Also, I think Horatio Sanz would be great playing this troll.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What does she blame for her hair?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I appreciate the suggestion, but a burrito bowl isn't the same (though it is still good). I'll wait until I can get that deliciousness wrapped in the tortilla the size of a small baby.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:Image
Good God! It's Buddy Hackett.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Damn, Bo Burnham has come a long way from Bo' Fo Sho', hasn't he?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A JW is suing her former employer for the best reason ever...
[Gannondale] forced her to attend staff meetings and voice commitment to a therapeutic model of “growth and change” in violation of her religious beliefs.

As a member of the Jehovah’s Witness faith, Sharon L. Shepherd said she believes in predetermination, not change and growth.

Instead of accommodating her religion and letting her skip the meetings, Shepherd said, she was fired.

Shepherd filed the civil rights complaint against Gannondale in U.S. District Court in Erie on Friday.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

New commercial for BYU-Idaho comparing walking in on your roommate masturbating and not reporting it to authorities to leaving a wounded soldier on the battlefield.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I just want to point out again that it's a completely non-satirical video about not reporting your roommate that you caught masturbating to leaving a wounded soldier to die in war.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:I just want to point out again that it's a completely non-satirical video about not reporting your roommate that you caught masturbating to leaving a wounded soldier to die in war.
If you buy into the doctrine, it's not irrational. Souls are at stake.

(And yes, the "wounded soldier" is awesome in it's non-deliberate entendre.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

All the Christians are aghast that the military relaxed some regulations for Sikhs, Jews, and Wiccans. It's a cross between beard envy because "clean shaven" is the rule unless you have a medical waiver and Islamophobia because hey, brown people are allowed to wear turbans while in a U.S. military uniform. The butthurt is flowing wildly.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote:All the Christians are aghast that the military relaxed some regulations for Sikhs, Jews, and Wiccans. It's a cross between beard envy because "clean shaven" is the rule unless you have a medical waiver and Islamophobia because hey, brown people are allowed to wear turbans while in a U.S. military uniform. The butthurt is flowing wildly.
Wiccan? Do they get to wear a cape and wizard hat?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Aren't Christians allowed to wear lowercase t's on their necklaces while in uniform?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Johnnie wrote:All the Christians are aghast that the military relaxed some regulations for Sikhs, Jews, and Wiccans. It's a cross between beard envy because "clean shaven" is the rule unless you have a medical waiver and Islamophobia because hey, brown people are allowed to wear turbans while in a U.S. military uniform. The butthurt is flowing wildly.
Christians are aghast? Really everyone should be pissed about "Wiccans" being taken seriously in any way whatsoever. Have you ever met one of those clowns that wasn't a meek little social failure? That was anything more than a hopeless life-long joke? Human beings capable of functioning in society don't resort to becoming Wiccans; one ends up as a Wiccan out of utter insecurity, cowardly retreat into childish fantasies, and pure loser idiocy. Wiccans are like psychics who are too stupid to profit from their own silly bullshit.

- Are you a witch or a wizard?
- Actually, I'm a warlock.
- Oooooooooooh! Look everyone! Wendell is a warlock!
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:
Have you ever met one of those clowns that wasn't a meek little social failure?

Actually, I have never met a Wiccan. But Wiccan weddings were somewhat common at the place we held our wedding. Not sure if they are prevalent in PA, or if the outdoor woodsie setting lent itself to Wiccans choosing the site. I need to read up on their beliefs. All I know (at least what my wedding director said) is that they swing a bag of oranges over their heads during the ceremony. I guess that isn't much stranger than stomping on a glass, which I did.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I just want to point out again that it's a completely non-satirical video about not reporting your roommate that you caught masturbating to leaving a wounded soldier to die in war.
Not even masturbating, just looking at porn. But apparently it is good to take your known pervert roommate out to play pool and nod approvingly as he hits on poor, unsuspecting female classmates.

Porn=bad

Accessory to rape=good. Unless we are supposed to assume that he married all of those girls.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well here's the DoD document that notes the changes: (obviously a PDF)

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corr ... 30017p.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't state what Wiccans are allowed to do specifically (it's just a generate memo), but, upon Googling, they can be afforded the right to a religious mentor (like a priest for a Christian) or be allowed to get specific piercings or tattoos.

Not sure what this means for Pastafarians.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Trailer for new Christian horror film about the Rapture.
“It’s a Christian horror movie,” said director-writer Tim Chey, who adapted his novel ‘Final.’ “The Christian community loves the film because they believe in the Book of Revelation, when Christ returns. Atheists love the film from a horror standpoint.”
Susan Chey … described the film as “like the Trojan horse,” because the goal is to get people to see ‘Final,’ then think about their lives. “We’re trying to share this so their eyes will be opened.”
As far as you can tell, basically all of the Christians get raptured to heaven and then everyone else just immediately starts shooting each other.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did This Is The End go over well with people who believe in the book of Revelations?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Doors tune?