Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Movies

Post by howard »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Liked this take: The Han Solo movie proves that prequels are the worst
If the prequel explains the boast of completing the Kessel run in under12 parsecs can be logically explained, it will be worth it.

(Parsec being a unit of distance, not of time.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Liked this take: The Han Solo movie proves that prequels are the worst
If the prequel explains the boast of completing the Kessel run in under12 parsecs can be logically explained, it will be worth it.

I've already explained that to you people! It's as much about navigational ability as speed. Because planets move in orbits and therefore the distance between two points is constantly changing, and assuming hyperspeed is the theoretical upper limit of speed, the shortest distance covered making the Kessel Run would be the fastest route.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I do like and accept your explanation (and I do remember it.) I want to see a Hollywood project smart enough to use it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:I do like and accept your explanation (and I do remember it.) I want to see a Hollywood project smart enough to use it.
I'll make some calls.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I've heard an elaborate mental-gymnastics explanation that Han deliberately made a nonsensical statement to see if Luke and Obi-Wan would pick up on it, in order to gauge their gullibility.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:
howard wrote:

I've already explained that to you people! It's as much about navigational ability as speed. Because planets move in orbits and therefore the distance between two points is constantly changing, and assuming hyperspeed is the theoretical upper limit of speed, the shortest distance covered making the Kessel Run would be the fastest route.
Basically, Han solved the Traveling Salesman problem.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Han: "I can name that tune in 3 notes!"
Jim Lange: "So...like 1.5 seconds or something?"
Han: (Blank stare)
Jim Lange: "OK, we'll go with notes!"

Prequel.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote:Han: "I can name that tune in 3 notes!"
Jim Lange: "So...like 1.5 seconds or something?"
Han: (Blank stare)
Jim Lange: "OK, we'll go with notes!"

Prequel.
Jim Lange! Wow...now that's a name from the past....my mom used to always listen to his afternoon show on KSFO when I was a kid. I remember that during the holidays he would do a bit called "Chief Santa" (a stereotypical Native American version of Santa) that would probably get him fired in about 3 minutes these days.

Of course, he also hosted the Dating Game as well...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gone Girl should have ended with the "You fucking bitch..." line.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

John Cena is fucking killing me in Trainwreck. He's hysterical.

Edit:

And so is LeBron James too. He's a pretty good actor.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Samuel L. Jackson makes some interesting character choices. The Lisp in Kingsmen is one of them. Sort of like Ordell Robbie in Jackie Brown.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Watched 'Staten Island Summer" last night. Nothing ground breaking, but a enjoyable flick. Does remind me of the summer teen flicks of yesteryear.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here is where I drop by to note - the lastest Mission Impossible is really quite good. As they all have generally been. Turned into a pretty great franchise.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I dreamed I went to the theater and watched some movie. Then my friends and I loved it so much we bootlegged it at watched it at a house party that same night. It was odd.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:Here is where I drop by to note - the lastest Mission Impossible is really quite good. As they all have generally been. Turned into a pretty great franchise.
I can't get past my preconceived notion of this genre of movie. How much of the MI movies are action scenes and explosions in relation to actual plot? I saw the first one in the theater, but haven't seen any others.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thought Ghost Protocol was tremendous. I think the plots are generally pretty good, considering the main thing is the action.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I fully endorse this movie...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Here is where I drop by to note - the lastest Mission Impossible is really quite good. As they all have generally been. Turned into a pretty great franchise.
I can't get past my preconceived notion of this genre of movie. How much of the MI movies are action scenes and explosions in relation to actual plot? I saw the first one in the theater, but haven't seen any others.

First one was the weakest as it has turned out - the last three have been just fantastic.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The third M:I was when I remember saying to myself "Jesus Christ, Philip Seymour Hoffman can really act. He could totally mail this in for money, but he's pulling off this creepy smart guy like it's a tailored tux."

And one more time. Fuck heroin.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Deadpool looks pretty awesome.

And that MI that was directed by John Woo and was basically just one face-change plot twist after another was fucking terrible. The rest have been pretty good.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My 14 year old talked me into taking her to Jurassic World.

My god, that movie sucked balls. So so so bad...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Trainwreck was outstanding.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just saw Captain America: the Winter Soldier last night. Pretty fun stuff. What killed me though was Nick Fury's tombstone. I loved that. I won't ruin it in case anyone else hasn't seen it.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched P.T. Anderson's most recent, "Inherent Vice" last night. Considering it was adapted from a Pynchon novel, its not surprising that it was weird as hell and didn't make much sense. But we both liked it. Joaquin Phoenix was great in it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Finally saw Ex Machina. Outstanding flick. Probably worthy of nominations at year's end in a just world.
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

I really lilked Antman (but I usually like paul Rudd). Lots of funny bits (Michael Pena !), doesn't try to hard to be a splashing superhero flick, a few easter eggs for comics readers, fine actors.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched "While We're Young" last night. Pretty solid Bambach movie. Very funny in spots (Ben Stiller has some great lines...like listening to "Eye Of The Tiger" to get pumped up for a meeting and saying "I remember when this was just bad..."). Worth checking out.

Oh, and it was great seeing Adam Horowitz (aka "Ad-Rock" from the Beastie Boys) in it, playing one of Stiller's friends.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:Gone Girl should have ended with the "You fucking bitch..." line.
Just watched that last night. Fortunately, I only vaguely knew the story going in, so I had no idea where it was going.

<spoilers>

On hand, it was a really good movie. In hindsight, I love that they didn't go with an easy, Hollywood ending. It's tough to make a good movie where most (all?) of the audience is going to hate how it ends.

On the other hand, I do get an icky feeling that, while it's a good movie, it certainly perpetuates the common Women Are Crazy attitude. It's interesting that in this case the book and screenplay were written by a woman. I'm guessing the book and movie spawned a million post-feminism think pieces that either loved it for the strong female lead or hated it for the crazy, manipulative, rape-faking, murderous, female lead.
Totally Kafkaesque
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Shirley wrote:
rass wrote:Gone Girl should have ended with the "You fucking bitch..." line.
Just watched that last night. Fortunately, I only vaguely knew the story going in, so I had no idea where it was going.

<spoilers>

On hand, it was a really good movie. In hindsight, I love that they didn't go with an easy, Hollywood ending. It's tough to make a good movie where most (all?) of the audience is going to hate how it ends.

On the other hand, I do get an icky feeling that, while it's a good movie, it certainly perpetuates the common Women Are Crazy attitude. It's interesting that in this case the book and screenplay were written by a woman. I'm guessing the book and movie spawned a million post-feminism think pieces that either loved it for the strong female lead or hated it for the crazy, manipulative, rape-faking, murderous, female lead.
We also watched this over the weekend and my wife and I felt the same way.
For whatever reason in the last year or two I've really become aware of and been interested in gender dynamics in society (and particularly in the sports culture, since that's where I live my life). Once you start hearing enough female voices explaining their experiences with double standards, and victim blaming, and slut shaming you start to notice it all the time.
The fact that millions of people saw this movie depict yet another poor white guy with his life ruined by a crazy woman, when in reality it is so overwhelmingly the opposite and the husband is the killer (or raper, or abuser), just doesn't sit well with me at all.
I'm not one to hold Hollywood movies to the job of setting the moral standard for a society so if this was a better told and acted story, or even explored some of those issues, I'd be all for it. Sadly it was none of those.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Wolfpack sounds interesting.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Straight Outta Compton was pretty good. Of course it was produced by Dre, Cube, and Eazy's girlfriend plus had Cube's son playing him, so it was geared towards certain things, but it was very entertaining.

Also, Fuck The Police! I completely forgot that that song got FBI attention.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

For those of you starved for anything related to the new Star Wars movie, another brief teaser was posted that includes a couple new shots:

Better quality, plus sound, on Instagram.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched P.T. Anderson's most recent, "Inherent Vice" last night. Considering it was adapted from a Pynchon novel, its not surprising that it was weird as hell and didn't make much sense. But we both liked it. Joaquin Phoenix was great in it.
Pretty much what I felt after watching it last night. Started out really great - felt that it could be on the way to becoming a classic... but just past the halfway mark it slid into near complete incoherence.

You know, if the relationship between Doc and Bigfoot was a little more clearly presented, there'd have been a thread running through that would have held it all together. But, probably very loyal to the source material...

Guess I can recommend it, but not too enthusastically.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Went and saw Rogue Nation yesterday....and we both loved it. Great great action movie, but felt more "caper-y" than just explosions and gunfights. And the motorcycle chase was insanely great.

And Rebecca Ferguson? Yowza...what a bad ass.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched Southpaw. It wasn't too bad, but it was pretty cliche.

Dude on top is challenged, suddenly goes through shocking circumstances, faces serious adversity, goes through hell, finds redemption, & overcomes everything in the end. Add a decent soundtrack and average acting and there you go.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:I'm home sick, so I just watched "Fury"...the Brad Pitt drives a tank in WWII movie. Wasn't too bad. A bit cheesy. But well made.
Dead Nazi factor?
High....to extremely high. And Pitt breaks out the "Aldo Raine" (from Inglourious basterds) accent.

The end borrows generously from Saving Private Ryan.
Wow! Dead Nazis left, right and centre. And three full frontal head explosions too.

Really enjoyed "Fury," but was really in the mood for a war picture. You want to see nazis die? This is your film.

Ot was very well done, and most interesting was that Shia Lebeouf was really, really good in it. Predictable, violent and satisfying.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Time for a little trip through Dave's week alone in Bellevue, WA with Amazon Prime:

1. Chasing Amy - I rarely do this, but I gave up on this one about 20-30 minutes in. Too much stilted dialog. I was bored.

2. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - This was actually better than the first one, I thought. It was interesting that unlike most sequels, they made no effort to fill in watchers on what happened in the first movie. Given the popularity of the books and first movie, this was a good call. I actually think the movie worked a bit better than the book, because there was less of the boring love triangle crap.

3. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - This movie was great. I loved it. A nice twist on the typical slasher film.

4. Defiance - Sort of Saving Private Ryan meets Schindler's List. Obviously not nearly as good as either. It was a good movie, but it dragged at times and felt like it was trying a bit too hard at times to be Schindler's List. It was worth watching though.

5. Sling Blade - Yes, I'd never seen this before. Great movie. As the dad of two boys, one with autism, this one sort of struck home. The whole time, I was waiting for some terrible catastrophe for either the young boy or Billy Bob. Instead, the ending was almost triumphant. I know it's cliche to go "full retard," I was impressed at the end to see that Billy Bob also wrote and directed it. It was fun to watch and pretend it was actually Bad Santa on a scam.

6. A Band Called Death - A documentary about a mid-seventies, all-black (three brothers - both kinds) punk band that almost nobody heard of until they were rediscovered nearly 35 years later. I want to find their music online now, because the clips they played were pretty awesome. The doc dragged in the middle, but overall it was good.

7. Hornet's Nest - Another documentary from US fighting in Afghanistan. It was good, but I couldn't help feel a bit weird at the end. It certainly was sad to see young soldiers die, and it was touching to see just how affected the other soldiers - including commanding officers - were. But yet, there was something striking to me about how in this awful fight that lasted for days, something like 6 or 7 (8?) Americans died while 100+ Taliban soldiers died. After seeing all of the death totals from all the other ISIS, etc. fighting going on recently, it just seemed like it would be nice if everyone valued the lives of young men/soldiers as much as the US soldiers seemed to be. I'm sure those Taliban dudes had moms and friends too. (I am NOT suggesting that we shouldn't have been fighting them. It just seems like if we are so moved by our deaths, we should be moved at least somewhat by ALL death, right?) I can't even imagine if we were so sensitive during much deadlier wars like WWII or the Civil War.

8. Pain and Gain - I actually liked this one, even though it was kinda dumb. Something about dumb, swole criminals. They're pretty funny.

In between all of these, I've been watching Archer episodes as well. That show fucking rules.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Shirley wrote:6. A Band Called Death - A documentary about a mid-seventies, all-black (three brothers - both kinds) punk band that almost nobody heard of until they were rediscovered nearly 35 years later. I want to find their music online now, because the clips they played were pretty awesome. The doc dragged in the middle, but overall it was good.
This doc is great. To think what they could have been had David not hit the bottle and died young. Their music is really really good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."