Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:47 pm
Also, does anyone dip their pizza in salad dressing? It's a habit I picked up when I was younger because a friend did it. I go with Italian dressing, personally.
Surprised you don't do ranch from your time in NM, Nunzio's which was/is? a small chain always gave you ranch with a pie. I like(d) it on some of their pies, but usually went black olive/feta which it isn't good on.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:22 pm Been abusing myself this week and that included eating some Doritos and it struck me today what a genius bit of marketing “Cool” ranch was.
guacamole Tostitos are just green, round cool ranch Doritos.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:47 pm
Also, does anyone dip their pizza in salad dressing? It's a habit I picked up when I was younger because a friend did it. I go with Italian dressing, personally.
Surprised you don't do ranch from your time in NM, Nunzio's which was/is? a small chain always gave you ranch with a pie. I like(d) it on some of their pies, but usually went black olive/feta which it isn't good on.
I definitely have, but Italian is my preference.

When I'd order from Dion's I'd get the green Chile ranch or the Greek for my pizza. (Since they didn't have Italian.)

https://www.dions.com/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There is a Dion's in Denver! Sadly on the other side of the city so I've only been once. The HS I taught at in ABQ the school store always got pies for students to buy a slice so my grad school self appreciated the cheap slice for lunch after the cheap cup of coffee and slice of bread from the Great Harvest just down the street (their green chile cheese bread is the tops)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think I fully processed what was going on here last night ... some of you dip pizza in italian or greek dressing? Or pour that dressing on the pizza?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:49 am I don't think I fully processed what was going on here last night ... some of you dip pizza in italian or greek dressing? Or pour that dressing on the pizza?
They are animals.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'll lightly dip crap (delivery) pizza in ranch.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Used to dip Dominos deep dish in parmesan peppercorn all the time.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you're dipping shitty pizza in marinara or ranch or whatever, sure, fine, whatever.

If you're doing it with good pizza you're a monster.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:49 am I don't think I fully processed what was going on here last night ... some of you dip pizza in italian or greek dressing? Or pour that dressing on the pizza?
You know how Papa John's came with a garlic butter dipping sauce? Well substitute that for Italian or Ranch salad dressing.

Considering pizzas today come with so much additional crap on them, dipping a cheese or pepperoni pizza in a little bit of salad dressing doesn't seem that bad. And it tastes pretty good to me.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

NM is a pizza desert. Though Il Vicino has a pretty good wood-fired pie.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 am NM is a pizza desert. Though Il Vicino has a pretty good wood-fired pie.
Albuquerque had several good places for pizza while I was there. (2016-2020) Richie B's, Saggio's, Giovanni's, Farina, Amore, Restoration, Venezia's (now known as Gino's) ...etc. And of course Il Vicino.

Now that I think about it, ABQ is the reason I add green chile to my go-to of bacon and mushroom. (But that's kinda with everything now, I suppose.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:10 amYou know how Papa John's came with a garlic butter dipping sauce? Well substitute that for Italian or Ranch salad dressing.

Considering pizzas today come with so much additional crap on them, dipping a cheese or pepperoni pizza in a little bit of salad dressing doesn't seem that bad. And it tastes pretty good to me.
Ranch or bleu cheese I've been around, but never one of the more vinaigrette-adjacent ones. I'm not sure why that seems so gross to me, but it sure does.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

tzatziki if you're gonna do it
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:26 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:10 amYou know how Papa John's came with a garlic butter dipping sauce? Well substitute that for Italian or Ranch salad dressing.

Ranch or bleu cheese I've been around, but never one of the more vinaigrette-adjacent ones. I'm not sure why that seems so gross to me, but it sure does.
It's the acidity that puts me off. It seems like that would overpower all that is good in pizza. But if it's bad pizza, maybe it helps. I could see dipping a dry crust in bleu cheese.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:23 am
Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:11 am NM is a pizza desert. Though Il Vicino has a pretty good wood-fired pie.
Albuquerque had several good places for pizza while I was there. (2016-2020) Richie B's, Saggio's, Giovanni's, Farina, Amore, Restoration, Venezia's (now known as Gino's) ...etc. And of course Il Vicino.

Now that I think about it, ABQ is the reason I add green chile to my go-to of bacon and mushroom. (But that's kinda with everything now, I suppose.)
Yeah we had Dion's, Nunzios, and Il Vicinio (1990-2002) I still add green chile to pizza and burgers if given a chance sadly the kids are more into the cheese and pep style pizza and I end up eating half of those as they eat about a slice and a half and are done.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s at least half dozen great pizza places in any city with a quarter million people. That’s a take I’ll go to war to defend.

(As good as NY/NJ or Chicago or even LA, no but there’s some great places almost everywhere.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:23 am

There's a brewpub in Rio Rancho called Turtle Mountain that serves very good pizza. We hit it up whenever I visit my parents.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Philippine cuisine is the Taco Bell of Asia.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:11 pm Philippine cuisine is the Taco Bell of Asia.
So how low is this place then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jollibee
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:11 pm Philippine cuisine is the Taco Bell of Asia.
Have we discussed Jollibee before? It sounds familiar and when I looked up the US locations, I see they have one in the same town as my office. Maybe I just read about it when they opened. I was interested in checking it out, but the menu is pretty much a hamburger or chicken sandwich, and the pictures on their website look nasty.
-Pruitt
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

There is a Jollibee near me (I think the first in Canada - my neighbourhood is very Fillipino) that has had a lineup every time I drive past it. There's even a Jollibee knockoff near me.
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.29.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.29.11 PM.png (254.2 KiB) Viewed 344 times
ETA: My neighbourhood must have one of the most bizarre ethnic mixes around - Jews, Italians, Pilipinos, Russians and Orthodox Jews.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Toronto seems like a fairly decent melting pot. Reminds me of where I grew up outside Boston. There are fairly large Brazilian/Portuguese and Cambodian populations (along with Italian/Irish/Jewish).

The food is, as expected, awesome.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:23 pm
Have we discussed Jollibee before? It sounds familiar and when I looked up the US locations, I see they have one in the same town as my office. Maybe I just read about it when they opened. I was interested in checking it out, but the menu is pretty much a hamburger or chicken sandwich, and the pictures on their website look nasty.
I don't remember any specific discussion about it. I literally only know that this place exists because of a Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) lyric.

But there appears to be one in Chandler, near Phoenix. I'll probably pass on it though because, as you note, the menu looks very whelming.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'd want to try the palabok and some fried chicken.

My wife's dad is filipino and his gringo wife learned from his relatives how to cook lumpia, chicken adobo, pancit and a variety of beef/ox tail soups. Stuff is absolutely delicious.

But you gotta be careful. They'll throw intestines and other gnarly stuff into dishes and... I'm not a fan.

There are also a number of dishes that are quite clearly derivative of serving American GIs and that can be weird. Like that spaghetti stuff. And some of the hot pocket-esque items. Gross (to me.)
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:43 am They'll throw intestines and other gnarly stuff into dishes and... I'm not a fan.
My kid's social studies class is doing a thing where they bring in pictures and other things that represent our heritage. We've always thought we were Scottish (some investigation may have debunked that, but we're sticking with it for this purpose) so I thought for sure we were going to have to include a pic of haggis. Turns out fried chicken is Scottish in origin!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In the past few years we’ve learned the kids are less Irish and Polish and more Scottish, English and Ukrainian than originally thought.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Speaking of ranch, this looks good. I'm already a fan of Truff hot sauce.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:25 pm Yeah we had Dion's, Nunzios, and Il Vicinio (1990-2002) I still add green chile to pizza and burgers if given a chance sadly the kids are more into the cheese and pep style pizza and I end up eating half of those as they eat about a slice and a half and are done.
I guess I'll lose my NM cred...but I've never even considered putting green chile on a pizza.

And Michael's Kitchen in Taos has the best Green Chile cheese bread!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

When you take scarcity into account, New Mexican food is absolutely the food I would choose over any other cuisine.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just had someone say breakfast sandwiches are a top 3 food! Not just sandwich, but food!! Awful!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Spent the last week and a half looking forward to the awesome breakfast sandwich on a subpar bagel I plan on eating tomorrow so gonna sit this one out.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:47 pm Spent the last week and a half looking forward to the awesome breakfast sandwich on a subpar bagel I plan on eating tomorrow so gonna sit this one out.
What time will you be here?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

:(
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(Subpar in that it’s too bread-y and not what I want in a bagel but is great for a sandwich)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:42 pm I just had someone say breakfast sandwiches are a top 3 food! Not just sandwich, but food!! Awful!!!
Had a fantastic one this morning. BEC on foccacia roll.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess Mr. D has never had a BEC biscuit from McD's while hungover.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I went on a rant the other day when someone brought bagel sandwiches for lunch. Which was preposterous because my wife and I just happened to drop by and the bringer of the sandwiches didn't know we'd be there.

I just don't understand the appeal of having a chewy bagel when you've got toppings that slide all over the place and drop on the plate/ground. It's the same reason Red Robin burgers can fuck off.

If I wanted something I need a knife and fork to eat (without making a huge mess), I would've ordered said dish.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jeez it must be hard to live on the East Coast.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“Waiter, the A in my $20 BLTA just will NOT stay in place on this house made bagel! I demand to speak to the chef.”