Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by P.D.X. »

pruitt2 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:15 pm ETA: And what makes these assholes even more sickening is that you can pretty much guarantee that they are the same chuds who scream and yell when a traditional institution like a church, Penn State (etc.) or boy scouts or whatever is legitimately charged with turning a blind eye to pedophilia.
They literally have a sitting member being investigated for underage sex and human trafficking. It's not about reality or logical reasoning.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Precisely the opposite, the intent is to be post-fact. If Gaetz is fucking underage kids but they can just make shit up and claim other people are too, it waters down actual crimes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:34 pm
pruitt2 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:15 pm ETA: And what makes these assholes even more sickening is that you can pretty much guarantee that they are the same chuds who scream and yell when a traditional institution like a church, Penn State (etc.) or boy scouts or whatever is legitimately charged with turning a blind eye to pedophilia.
They literally have a sitting member being investigated for underage sex and human trafficking. It's not about reality or logical reasoning.
And Jim Jordan!
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:42 pm Precisely the opposite, the intent is to be post-fact. If Gaetz is fucking underage kids but they can just make shit up and claim other people are too, it waters down actual crimes.
Yup. "Who can say who's really telling the truth?"
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:09 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:42 pm Precisely the opposite, the intent is to be post-fact. If Gaetz is fucking underage kids but they can just make shit up and claim other people are too, it waters down actual crimes.
Exactly. The Dems are making up fake allegations about Matt Gaetz to hide the fact that they are all pedophiles! I mean, we all know Hillary Clinton and John Podesta ran a child sex trafficking ring out of the basement of a pizza place that doesn't even have a basement.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:52 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:09 pm
Exactly. The Dems are making up fake allegations about Matt Gaetz to hide the fact that they are all pedophiles! I mean, we all know Hillary Clinton and John Podesta ran a child sex trafficking ring out of the basement of a pizza place that doesn't even have a basement.
It's an amalgamation of whataboutism meets gaslighting.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Re: Florida and Disney

I think any time you can alienate one of the largest corporations in the world and far and away the biggest tax and economic benefit for half your state, you have to do it.

All because the GOP got their feelings hurt that not everyone liked the "don't say gay" bill.

I also find it hilarious that it's going to go down in history as the "don't say gay" bill meaning people will have to read or say gay ad infinitum.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:30 pm Re: Florida and Disney

I think any time you can alienate one of the largest corporations in the world and far and away the biggest tax and economic benefit for half your state, you have to do it.

All because the GOP got their feelings hurt that not everyone liked the "don't say gay" bill.

I also find it hilarious that it's going to go down in history as the "don't say gay" bill meaning people will have to read or say gay ad infinitum.
Right? For someone who claims to be well-educated guy, DeSantis is really poking a dragon. Like does he have any idea how many billboards Disney could pay for telling people to vote for his opponent? Or the fact that Disney literally owns a national network?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm going to take the other side of the bet and say Disney will cave to avoid fighting either the 20% of super-freaks or, if they unite, the GOP as a whole.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:28 pm I'm going to take the other side of the bet and say Disney will cave to avoid fighting either the 20% of super-freaks or, if they unite, the GOP as a whole.
All in on this wager.

It's great that Disney may be inclusive in its workplace. But these are tax breaks we're talking. Millions of Disney shareholders will help them decide to grin and bear it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This removal of special status could be catastrophic for Orange and Osceola county residents.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:26 pm

Right? For someone who claims to be well-educated guy, DeSantis is really poking a dragon. Like does he have any idea how many billboards Disney could pay for telling people to vote for his opponent? Or the fact that Disney literally owns a national network?
One of the oldest axioms in politics used to be "never pick a fight with a company that buys ink by the barrel" but I'm not sure that's true any more.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:58 pm This removal of special status could be catastrophic for Orange and Osceola county residents.
Sounds like someone is on Team Groomer.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:58 pm This removal of special status could be catastrophic for Orange and Osceola county residents.
That’s what I seem to be seeing. Just no way for them to spin up all the ancillary services. This just seems like a huge budget issue.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:08 pm
That’s what I seem to be seeing. Just no way for them to spin up all the ancillary services. This just seems like a huge budget issue.
The problem is the electorate is so stupid/brainwashed it doesn't matter. DeSantis will just blame the rising tax bills in 2024 on Biden and 95 percent of these dipshits will believe it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:19 pm
OK Groomer.

DeSantis is an intelligent highly educated guy trying to out-Trump Trump. I thought it was a terrible strategy for him, but I think it's starting to work. He is getting a ton of press for actually doing stuff the MAGA base likes, while Trump is still whining and crying about how unfair the world is towards him. I think we are nearing a point where DeSantis could compete with Trump in a primary.

This is an epic game of chicken. Disney stands to lose a ton of money in losing their benefits, and it's not like they can pick up and move Disney World to another state. Likewise, how much money does Disney bring in for Florida? They have a ton of leverage. Good on Disney for taking the stand, but at some point, shareholders win out over doing saying the right thing.

While the "Don't Say Gay" Bill is incredibly stupid and fixing a problem that never existed (nobody has cited a single incident of a public school teacher teaching little kids about sex), their formulation of the argument is weirdly brilliant. They framed it in a way that they can say anyone who opposes the Bill is in favor of teaching 5 year old kids about sex. Then they can say the Libs falsely call it the "Don't Say Gay Bill," because it doesn't say you can't say gay. It says you can't discuss sexuality, but in reality, it allows kids with hetero parents to discuss their family and prohibits kids with same sex families from telling what their family did that weekend. These assholes and their fake culture war issues are infuriating. It feels like the culture war issues are getting increasingly idiotic and farfetched over the past year, and a new one springs up every month, and they ramp up to full speed in a matter of days instead of years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I forgot that dude went to Yale and Harvard and is still a Lt Commander in the Navy Reserve.

Fucking sad that people that intelligent decide to be complete scum for the same of political power.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:20 pm
OK Groomer.

DeSantis is an intelligent highly educated guy trying to out-Trump Trump. I thought it was a terrible strategy for him, but I think it's starting to work. He is getting a ton of press for actually doing stuff the MAGA base likes, while Trump is still whining and crying about how unfair the world is towards him. I think we are nearing a point where DeSantis could compete with Trump in a primary.

This is an epic game of chicken. Disney stands to lose a ton of money in losing their benefits, and it's not like they can pick up and move Disney World to another state. Likewise, how much money does Disney bring in for Florida? They have a ton of leverage. Good on Disney for taking the stand, but at some point, shareholders win out over doing saying the right thing.

While the "Don't Say Gay" Bill is incredibly stupid and fixing a problem that never existed (nobody has cited a single incident of a public school teacher teaching little kids about sex), their formulation of the argument is weirdly brilliant. They framed it in a way that they can say anyone who opposes the Bill is in favor of teaching 5 year old kids about sex. Then they can say the Libs falsely call it the "Don't Say Gay Bill," because it doesn't say you can't say gay. It says you can't discuss sexuality, but in reality, it allows kids with hetero parents to discuss their family and prohibits kids with same sex families from telling what their family did that weekend. These assholes and their fake culture war issues are infuriating. It feels like the culture war issues are getting increasingly idiotic and farfetched over the past year, and a new one springs up every month, and they ramp up to full speed in a matter of days instead of years.
See, that's why I say put him on the defensive. Like if Disney just started putting up billboards all over Florida saying "DESANTIS DOESN'T CARE IF TEENS TAKE THEIR OWN LIVES", that'll force him to try and defend it. Fight fire with fire. And while I agree with you that it gets him press, does this really gain him votes more than the 10-20% of America that's already too far gone? I get that they have to gin up culture wars because anyone with half a brain understands that their policies are shit (which is why they fight against educating the populace as much as they do, knowing that the more educated a person is the less likely they vote Red) but is that a winning strategy nationally? Hell, I think I saw that he was down 13 points in Florida if he ran against Charlie Crist this November when he's up for reelection. Prevent the black vote all he wants, 13 points is a major deficit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:26 pm

He's probably assuming that it's going to be struck down.

It's always the ones screaming loudest about "FREEDOM!" that turn out to be the autocrats, tho.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 pm It's always the ones screaming loudest about "FREEDOM!" that turn out to be the autocrats, tho.
Every Republican accusation is a confession.

And this is an interesting thread about the impact of ending the 'special district' for Disney:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:08 pm Fucking sad that people that intelligent decide to be complete scum for the same of political power.
Ron DeSantis has decided that being a hateful bigot is the path to getting the GOP nomination in 2024. And....he's probably right.

And the dude has a big enough ego that there's no way he'll back down if Trump decides to run again.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Madison Cawthorn hits keep coming...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Knives out for sure at this point.

Him being a cuckold (NTTAWWT) to his now ex wife seems like it's in play.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:42 pm Knives out for sure at this point.
Yeah...the Republicans in SC aren't happy with his continual nonsense, and are ready to run him out of town. He's already got a few primary challengers, and that was before this latest stuff.

An aside: Its not the issue of Cawthorn wearing lingerie...it's his blatant hypocrisy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Republicans would attempt to make this a massive scandal if that were a female Dem in those pictures.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:04 am Republicans would attempt to make this a massive scandal if that were a female Dem in those pictures.
For someone who claims to be a devout christian, "raised on Proverbs and pushups", Cawthorn sure does seem to like to get his party on, and that's even discounting the cocaine orgies.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:04 am Republicans would attempt to make this a massive scandal if that were a female Dem in those pictures.
Worse, is Democrats ran Al Franken out of a career for less.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or no?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:00 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:20 pm
OK Groomer.

See, that's why I say put him on the defensive. Like if Disney just started putting up billboards all over Florida saying "DESANTIS DOESN'T CARE IF TEENS TAKE THEIR OWN LIVES", that'll force him to try and defend it. Fight fire with fire. And while I agree with you that it gets him press, does this really gain him votes more than the 10-20% of America that's already too far gone? I get that they have to gin up culture wars because anyone with half a brain understands that their policies are shit (which is why they fight against educating the populace as much as they do, knowing that the more educated a person is the less likely they vote Red) but is that a winning strategy nationally? Hell, I think I saw that he was down 13 points in Florida if he ran against Charlie Crist this November when he's up for reelection. Prevent the black vote all he wants, 13 points is a major deficit.
Disney should sue the crap out of Florida for violating their First Amendment rights, and then dunk on DeSantis for the rest of his public life.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I guess since I've only recently started watching Johnny Harris vids on YouTube this popped up for me now, but it's been out for a bit and man is it an eye opener.

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

When the world becomes surreal...
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 6.57.48 AM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 6.57.48 AM.jpeg (148.28 KiB) Viewed 381 times
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:59 pm I guess since I've only recently started watching Johnny Harris vids on YouTube this popped up for me now, but it's been out for a bit and man is it an eye opener.

Right. Motherfuckers on the right attempt a coup d’état when their man gets fired, but it’s liberal hypocrisy that’s the real problem.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work, New York Times Pitchbot.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Liberal guilt is real!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:26 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:59 pm I guess since I've only recently started watching Johnny Harris vids on YouTube this popped up for me now, but it's been out for a bit and man is it an eye opener.

Right. Motherfuckers on the right attempt a coup d’état when their man gets fired, but it’s liberal hypocrisy that’s the real problem.
You know, it IS possible that there is room to improve on both sides. The way I see the issues of that video - and it's really well done - is that when liberals/Democrats get their shots to lead, and it does happen a lot, they tend to squander it. It seems to me that the Right is way more effective in implementing their vision. If we're going to improve this country, we can't just spend all of our time demonizing the Right. The Left needs to actually do positive shit when it has a chance.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Both things can be true? Like, what does the coup have to do with this?

This was a story about inequality in states where liberals have all of the power.

I remember I got chastised, and rightfully so, by Steve when I blamed Pelosi for San Francisco being semi famous for homelessness. He made note it was really the NIMBY loving liberals who I should place the blame on.

Rich assholes, regardless of team affiliation, are to blame here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its that last sentence that matters most, far beyond race or religion or anything else. If you put a representative sample of 100 americans in a room and add a high ranking member of each party to it, who do you think those two politicians going to have the most in common with? The reason the Dems as a party leadership are far more aggressive when it comes to fighting their own left than the other party is because they know who's a bigger threat to their own comfort.
Last edited by mister d on Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:10 am

You know, it IS possible that there is room to improve on both sides. The way I see the issues of that video - and it's really well done - is that when liberals/Democrats get their shots to lead, and it does happen a lot, they tend to squander it. It seems to me that the Right is way more effective in implementing their vision. If we're going to improve this country, we can't just spend all of our time demonizing the Right. The Left needs to actually do positive shit when it has a chance.
“Be afraid of darkies!” isn’t a vision dude. It’s fear-mongering.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:10 am If we're going to improve this country, we can't just spend all of our time demonizing the Right.
Sorry to disagree, but the Right is taking a lot of positions that deserve demonizing. All the trans/gay bashing, misogyny, and racism absolutely deserve to be demonized. Yes, the Progressives have to do a better job, but you can't normalize all that stuff.

And that's not even getting to the issue of the 'Big Lie'. The Right has made it an Article of Faith that the 2020 elections was 'Rigged!' or stolen, despite no evidence at all. If Trump this afternoon decided that the moon was made of cheese, all the MAGA-cult would be following right along with him. (Remember when he mused about buying Greenland? And then all the clowns on FoxNews and at National Republic decided that it would actually be a great idea?).

How can you not demonize that bullshit?