The Weather

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:Seriously?
Your part of Houston okay or are you dealing with flood issues?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote:
The town I grew up and currently live in had a lot of flooding and all my ways out of the neighborhood were blocked for a while, but we didn't have any damage or really threat of it.

We had 10" of rain and spots just north of us had close to 20".
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
The town I grew up and currently live in had a lot of flooding and all my ways out of the neighborhood were blocked for a while, but we didn't have any damage or really threat of it.
Thank goodness. Flooding just seems like such a fuckawful disaster. Ruins everything. (I guess so do other disasters, but for some reason water damage seems worse over time).
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

tennbengal wrote:
Giff wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
Thank goodness. Flooding just seems like such a fuckawful disaster. Ruins everything. (I guess so do other disasters, but for some reason water damage seems worse over time).
Yeah, it would be so much better to have your house ripped to shreds by a tornado or burnt to a crisp in a wild fire. I would say they would all suck.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

duff wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
Giff wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
Yeah, it would be so much better to have your house ripped to shreds by a tornado or burnt to a crisp in a wild fire. I would say they would all suck.
Right. Hence my parenthetical - so much for heading off the gotcha. That said, wind/storm damages feels like some stuff can be salvageable. Flood issues include structures being intact but having to worry about mold issues etc and I know that insurance companies can be complete cocks over paying flood damage - less so with wind/storm/fire.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think the thing with floods is they leave you with just enough to realize it's all fucked up. A fire or tornado is more likely to make you start all over, which in some ways is easier than trying to repair/deal with a flooded home.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote:I think the thing with floods is they leave you with just enough to realize it's all fucked up. A fire or tornado is more likely to make you start all over, which in some ways is easier than trying to repair/deal with a flooded home.
Yeah, that probably best captures my thoughts.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Being wet sucks. Wet things smell. We all hate rain.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit it got dark and stormy very quickly.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Word. Just spoke w/ a dude from Chester, NJ who said a tornado may have touched down on his property there. Three trees and a power line down and something was on fire.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Chris Christie not taking getting the veep gig pretty hard apparently.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The sky is burning...

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:The sky is burning...

I believe my soul's on fi-yer!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

According to Facebook the media isn't covering the floods in Louisiana because Obama is president.

Seems legit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:According to Facebook the media isn't covering the floods in Louisiana because Obama is president.

Seems legit.
And in a 2013 poll, more Louisiana Republicans blamed Obama for the handling of Katrina than blamed Bush. That's not as bad as Trump Spokesgoblin (h/t Larry Wilmore) Katrina Pierson blaming Obama for invading Afghanistan and his policies for retroactively causing problems 5 years prior to their enactment.

Such is the power of the RW media.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Awful!

TB, what are the nerds saying about the stealth heat wave in the southeast for the last 3 months? I count 4 days of below normal temperatures all summer, and normal in Georgia is fucktastically hot to begin with.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote:Awful!

TB, what are the nerds saying about the stealth heat wave in the southeast for the last 3 months? I count 4 days of below normal temperatures all summer, and normal in Georgia is fucktastically hot to begin with.
I saw somewhere that for the first time ever, every single piece of the continental US was at a record high on the same day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Supposed to fly to Tampa at 3pm today. Think positive thoughts for me and fuck Jim Cantore in general.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Supposed to fly to Tampa at 3pm today. Think positive thoughts for me and fuck Jim Cantore in general.
Come to Cleveland. 76 degrees and sunny with low humidity today!
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You're arriving at the exact same time as the storm.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:You're arriving at the exact same time as the storm.
Hoping to edge it out by a few hours. we land at 5:30 if everything goes well and we're headed to Sarasota, so we'll be away from the storm.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good luck. If you make it here, it should be a beautiful weekend after the storm goes through.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:Good luck. If you make it here, it should be a beautiful weekend after the storm goes through.
Fingers crossed. Any can't misses? We were thinking of checking out Cigar City before we head to Saraota/Bradenton, but I'm not sure if it's wise to hang out in Tampa longer than we need to.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Good luck. If you make it here, it should be a beautiful weekend after the storm goes through.
Fingers crossed. Any can't misses? We were thinking of checking out Cigar City before we head to Saraota/Bradenton, but I'm not sure if it's wise to hang out in Tampa longer than we need to.
If you make it in, Cigar City is very close to the airport. It's nothing fancy to look at, but who cares, beer! If you do go to the tasting room, go to the back bar, as it has the biggest selection. The front bar has about 15 taps, but it is limited to beers that the put in growlers or crowlers. The back bar has about 25 beers on tap, maybe more.

I highly recommend the J. Dub's Poolside Kolsch, if you're looking for a local, easy drinking, lighter beer. J. Dub's is in either Sarasota or Bradenton. Where are you staying, and what's on your agenda?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You may want to get on the bridge to Sarasota/Bradenton ASAP after you arrive, assuming it is still open, rather than stop at Cigar City. Google Sunshine Skyway to see if the storm has closed the bridge. It looks like they're already posting caution warnings due to high winds. If you head to the bridge (through St. Petersburg, and get there and cannot cross, you're looking at circling all the way back through Tampa to get to Sarasota/Bradenton on non-bridge interstates. That will make your 1.5 hour commute from Tampa International to Sarasota/Bradenton about 4 hours, or more.

You may want to just take the long (non-bridge route) anyway. It shouldn't be that much more of a distance or time, and if you make it all the way to the bridge and have to turn around you could be proper fucked.

Once you arrive, there is a very small seafood restaurant in Cortez, FL called Star Fish Co. It is just inland from Bradenton Beach/Holmes Beach/Anna Maria Island and the seafood is fantastic. The seating is all outdoors, and mostly covered, but not air conditioned.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If you want to rage, you can head 2 hrs or so to Naples and we can crush some blow. My treat!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF gets the invite, but not me!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Haaaaa it's a standing invite to you to, my man.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yep, if nothing else it is most always beautiful right after a storm. And, yeah, those bridges across Tampa Bay have to be one of the last places id want to be in a hurricane.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote:
I assume you're not staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota (or are you?) but my cousin is the concierge there. If you happen to be in the neighborhood and you're looking for recommendations on anything, swing by even if you're not staying there and ask for Nicole. Tell her I sent you.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
I assume you're not staying at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota (or are you?) but my cousin is the concierge there. If you happen to be in the neighborhood and you're looking for recommendations on anything, swing by even if you're not staying there and ask for Nicole. Tell her I sent you.
I dunno why, but this reads like one of those 1980s PC detective games where you have to find clues in the dialog.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The humidity has finally broken after 6 weeks or so in Toronto.

Just may get to the end of the day having worn just the one shirt.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I bet he was able to make it, other than about an hour of strong winds and constant rain between 1 & 2, it's been pretty calm in Tampa. May even be able to just take 275 South over the Sunshine Skyway to get to Sarasota/Bradenton relatively quickly.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nevermind. Skyway is closed. Take 275 North from the airport to 75 South, (about 20 minutes east of the airport/Tampa).
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Is he OK?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I am OK. Even had time to stop at Cigar City on the way in. That place is legit.

You guys don't know what storms are here. That was a breeze compared to the Midwest in the summer.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:Image
Would not want to be in the Outer Banks tonight around 8 p.m.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
If you make it in, Cigar City is very close to the airport. It's nothing fancy to look at, but who cares, beer! If you do go to the tasting room, go to the back bar, as it has the biggest selection. The front bar has about 15 taps, but it is limited to beers that the put in growlers or crowlers. The back bar has about 25 beers on tap, maybe more.

I highly recommend the J. Dub's Poolside Kolsch, if you're looking for a local, easy drinking, lighter beer. J. Dub's is in either Sarasota or Bradenton. Where are you staying, and what's on your agenda?
Staying with family friend in Bradenton. No firm plans other than whatever the chicks I'm with wanna do. I'm gonna drink a lot of beer and bourbon and try to enjoy no work for 4 days.

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »