Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by sancarlos »

Not the same thing, but we received some Omaha steaks as our Xmas present from my parents. Hell of a lot better than socks!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Lacrosse team at daughters school sold steaks for fundraiser. Instead track dad family is proud owner of $90 in (undoubtedly stale) popcorn. Those steaks sounding good.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Omaha steaks are quite good. They used to run promos on some of the podcasts I listen to and for $50 I got 4 bacon-wrapped filet mignon, 4 chicken friend steaks, 8 potatoes au gratin, 8 apple pastry things and then like 4 pork cutlets and 8 burger patties... And 4-8 "gourmet" hot dogs.

You just need to wait for a similar deal and pounce on it, but the value and quality are awesome.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:02 pm Omaha steaks are quite good. They used to run promos on some of the podcasts I listen to and for $50 I got 4 bacon-wrapped filet mignon, 4 chicken friend steaks, 8 potatoes au gratin, 8 apple pastry things and then like 4 pork cutlets and 8 burger patties... And 4-8 "gourmet" hot dogs.

You just need to wait for a similar deal and pounce on it, but the value and quality are awesome.
My sister just sent me a $150 gift certificate for Omaha Steaks. Her boss gave it to her last year and she isn't using it. I looked at their site, and there is an overwhelming amount of options. Really surprised she didn't use it, I thought her husband was into grilling. Either that, or he tended the grill to avoid socializing.

Open to recommendations.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:51 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:02 pm Omaha steaks are quite good. They used to run promos on some of the podcasts I listen to and for $50 I got 4 bacon-wrapped filet mignon, 4 chicken friend steaks, 8 potatoes au gratin, 8 apple pastry things and then like 4 pork cutlets and 8 burger patties... And 4-8 "gourmet" hot dogs.

My sister just sent me a $150 gift certificate for Omaha Steaks. Her boss gave it to her last year and she isn't using it. I looked at their site, and there is an overwhelming amount of options. Really surprised she didn't use it, I thought her husband was into grilling. Either that, or he tended the grill to avoid socializing.

Open to recommendations.
I'd focus on getting the steaks, and forget about the sides/desserts.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

with that said, if they throw in the potatoes au gratin and/or the caramel apple tartlet things (not their actual name) those are quite tasty.

The chicken fried steaks are... fine? But you need someone that can make a good gravy for them to be worth it.

SC is right... They will throw in the hot dogs and pork and chicken... Meh. It's fine, but your value comes with a good deal that includes a preponderance of steak.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:23 pm with that said, if they throw in the potatoes au gratin and/or the caramel apple tartlet things (not their actual name) those are quite tasty.

The chicken fried steaks are... fine? But you need someone that can make a good gravy for them to be worth it.

SC is right... They will throw in the hot dogs and pork and chicken... Meh. It's fine, but your value comes with a good deal that includes a preponderance of steak.
I got $150 to spend on whatever. I was thinking steaks, a package of gourmet burgers and a seasoning rub.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Make your own rub. All that shit is salt and brown sugar.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'm roasting a spatchcock chicken tonight and need to make a seasoning rub. I want to avoid any poultry seasoning or seasoned salt-based rubs but am struggling to come up with an interesting flavor combination. Anyone have any suggestions? I have most common spices available for making my own rub. I also want to no sugar in the rub. Thanks in advance.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rosemary (sparingly) and Thyme as a base.

Sort of unrelated, but I did some filet mignon with a butter and rosemary finish and it was fucking money.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Could go away from poultry seasoning altogether and swap out the herbs (except thyme) for some nutmeg/clove/cinnamon and go a little jamaican-y? Although that tends to have brown sugar ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:31 pm Could go away from poultry seasoning altogether and swap out the herbs (except thyme) for some nutmeg/clove/cinnamon and go a little jamaican-y? Although that tends to have brown sugar ...
Yeah, this is more of what I'm looking for. Want to avoid the standard poultry seasoning flavors and try something different. I've been roasting spatchcock chicken a lot lately and most of it has been typical poultry flavors or something like a BBQ rub.

I'm thinking five spice powder and ground ginger would be good but am willing to consider other options.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Orrr ... be disgusting and do a cooking version of how breweries do single hop beers. Go 100% onion powder or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:05 pm Orrr ... be disgusting and do a cooking version of how breweries do single hop beers. Go 100% onion powder or something.
I love this. Make several, each one with one ingredient so you can get a true sense of how each ingredient shapes the dish.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:05 pm Orrr ... be disgusting and do a cooking version of how breweries do single hop beers. Go 100% onion powder or something.
Interesting thought.
Sabo wrote:Honey, we're having garlic powder roasted chicken tonight.
Mrs. Sabo wrote:I want a divorce. And a breath mint.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m with Nlfc. Rosemary is great in and on a chicken. Sage, too.
ZaZ
Jackie Treehorn

Post by ZaZ »

Stupid cold here in Minnesota.
Spent the afternoon and sundown in the fish house.
Currently enjoying fresh crappie tacos.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Couple of nights ago I made this for "Meatless Monday":

Eshkeneh-yeh Adas (Lentil Egg Drop Soup)

It tasted pretty good...but I kept thinking "something is off here...its missing something".

Yesterday I realized I had forgotten to put the eggs in it. Yes, I made Egg-Less Egg Drop soup.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 pm Couple of nights ago I made this for "Meatless Monday":

Eshkeneh-yeh Adas (Lentil Egg Drop Soup)

It tasted pretty good...but I kept thinking "something is off here...its missing something".

Yesterday I realized I had forgotten to put the eggs in it. Yes, I made Egg-Less Egg Drop soup.

Vegan egg drop soup.

Or you dropped the egg from the soup.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't know how I feel about this overall. I'd try it out, but this seems so extra to get a "teriyaki" taste.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:56 pm I don't know how I feel about this overall. I'd try it out, but this seems so extra to get a "teriyaki" taste.

I'll ask my cardiologist what he thinks of this.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

pruitt2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:39 am I'll ask my cardiologist what he thinks of this.
For the first year or so after my heart attack, I greatly decreased my intake of red meat, cured meats, eggs, alcohol, and fat. But, then I went into rationalization mode. I take 80 mg of statin a day, and I figure that’s enough Drano to clean out any clog. Plus, consuming what I like lowers my stress level. Everything in moderation, including moderation, I suppose. Have a nice steak now and then!
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:31 pm
pruitt2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:39 am I'll ask my cardiologist what he thinks of this.
For the first year or so after my heart attack, I greatly decreased my intake of red meat, cured meats, eggs, alcohol, and fat. But, then I went into rationalization mode. I take 80 mg of statin a day, and I figure that’s enough Drano to clean out any clog. Plus, consuming what I like lowers my stress level. Everything in moderation, including moderation, I suppose. Have a nice steak now and then!
My one year follow up is in 10 weeks. Hoping to celebrate with a pastrami sandwich and fries.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:53 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:23 pm Doing a 24 hour corned beef sous vide after a four day dry brine. Its something that, if it comes out good, will sound like a lot more effort than it really was.
Oooooh. Let me know that goes. Corned beef gonna be cheap Thursday.
My memory of it was "this is really good but also I don't feel like running the sous vide for 24 hours again" so its back to the dutch oven in 2022.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

My fridge recently busted and I'm still waiting on the new one. I'm happy for the upgrade, but it means that I can't do my annual corned beef on St. Patrick's Day. On the year when it coincides with NCAA Tournament Thursday, no less.

Yes, you could say that I missed out on my

[sorry]

one brining moment
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

cerrano wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 am Gonna make some chicken part tonight, wandered onto this video and I think I have a new Italian grandfather.
I made Pasquale’s chicken parm tonight. So good!
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:30 am
cerrano wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:47 am Gonna make some chicken part tonight, wandered onto this video and I think I have a new Italian grandfather.
I made Pasquale’s chicken parm tonight. So good!
He’s the best!! So easy, too. Gotta make this soon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Had some flaco hot sauce tonight with my ground beef and yellow rice. It's still fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

glad to hear it!
will be laying down plants for the season in the next couple of weeks.. expect new batches to be ready to go by end of summer.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, Swamp chefs, Are any of you familiar with Harissa? My wife made a great beef stew today, flavored with this chili paste (among other things). Added a little zip, as well as depth.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:06 pm Hey, Swamp chefs, Are any of you familiar with Harissa? My wife made a great beef stew today, flavored with this chili paste (among other things). Added a little zip, as well as depth.
That's great stuff. I use it in my eggs.

Speaking of eggs, we watched the first episode of Julia on HBOMax. In it she makes an omelet on a hot plate. Three eggs, salt and pepper, and give a good whip with a whisk. I used to add a little seltzer water before to get the fluffyness, but I was going to follow her recipe. Then she melted FOUR tablespoons of butter in the pan, poured in the frothy eggs, and flipped it over once before serving. Well, four tablespoons seemed a little much, so I lowered it to about 2.5, and melted it off the burner where it slightly browned. Turned out damn good. I think the trick is whipping the eggs a lot, not simply enough to mix them but rather get a good amount of air in them. That, and a lot of butter.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've just learned about this dish called bo ssam and I need someone to make it for me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:21 am I've just learned about this dish called bo ssam and I need someone to make it for me.
Dave Chang has you covered the next time you visit Brian.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:04 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:21 am I've just learned about this dish called bo ssam and I need someone to make it for me.
Um, that's in like 2.5 weeks.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So this is going down in about three hours.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:48 pm
So this is going down in about three hours.
Jealous
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Are you guys smoking beef ribs? Because, you should be smoking beef ribs. $12.85 for 1.84 lbs. from Shop Rite and they were the perfect $13 2 pm snack (3 ribs). Smoked wings up next.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did pork on the charcoal grill yesterday and, while good, another hour would have helped. Not like they were under, just not at the perfect level. I blame having to pull them so the kids could eat.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Have y'all done pig shots? You basically make a shot glass with bacon and a coin of sausage then fill with a cheese mix then smoke. I failed at my attempt but a good friend makes them so well. They're awful for you and addictive. Forget I ever mentioned them.