Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
Is this asshole actually equating this to performing some sort of exorcism or is that an actual saying among the film industry? Like would the producers of 2.5 Men actually say "We cast Charlie Sheen out"?
Actually, I think they did exorcise Charlie Sheen out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Missouri trying to pass legislation that would force schools to warn parents any time that evolution will be taught to their kids.

Any school district or charter school which provides instruction relating to the theory of evolution by natural selection shall be required to have a policy on parental notification and a mechanism where a parent can choose to remove the student from any part of the district's or school's instruction on evolution. The policy shall require the school district or charter school to notify the parent or legal guardian of each student enrolled in the district of:

(1) The basic content of the district's or school's evolution instruction to be provided to the student; and

(2) The parent's right to remove the student from any part of the district's or school's evolution instruction.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Missouri trying to pass legislation that would force schools to warn parents any time that evolution will be taught to their kids.

Any school district or charter school which provides instruction relating to the theory of evolution by natural selection shall be required to have a policy on parental notification and a mechanism where a parent can choose to remove the student from any part of the district's or school's instruction on evolution. The policy shall require the school district or charter school to notify the parent or legal guardian of each student enrolled in the district of:

(1) The basic content of the district's or school's evolution instruction to be provided to the student; and

(2) The parent's right to remove the student from any part of the district's or school's evolution instruction.

We are so fucked. I want my kid removed from class when gravity is discussed. It's just a theory. Teach the controversy, God's thumb is what holds us down to the flat Earth that the sun revolves around.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

An Arizona bill has gone to the governor to "protect religious rights" by allowing service to be refused to gays, etc.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/ ... fusal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

phxgators wrote:An Arizona bill has gone to the governor to "protect religious rights" by allowing service to be refused to gays, etc.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/ ... fusal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hurray for this response from Rocco's Little Chicago Pizzaria, in Tucson:
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Great sign! I'd actually love to hear companies like Google speak out against it. They just announced possible plans to bring their fiber network to Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale. It would be great if they'd speak up and say there's no way in hell they are doing that if this becomes law.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's the best thing about Rocco's. Their pizza isn't that good and it's overpriced. Plus the wait is far too long. Arizona Pizza Company, Brooklyn's, Grimaldi's, and Magpie's are much, much better.

</end threadjack rant>
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Lt Gen Gerry Boykin thinks that Jesus is coming back with an AR-15. He's checked it out...
The Lord is a warrior and in Revelation 19 it says when he comes back, he’s coming back as what? A warrior. A mighty warrior leading a mighty army, riding a white horse with a blood-stained white robe … I believe that blood on that robe is the blood of his enemies ’cause he’s coming back as a warrior carrying a sword.

And I believe now — I’ve checked this out — I believe that sword he’ll be carrying when he comes back is an AR-15.

Now I want you to think about this: where did the Second Amendment come from? … From the Founding Fathers, it’s in the Constitution. Well, yeah, I know that. But where did the whole concept come from? It came from Jesus when he said to his disciples, ‘Now, if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.’

I know, everybody says that was a metaphor. It was not a metaphor! He was saying ‘In building my kingdom, you’re going to have to fight at times. You won’t build my kingdom with a sword, but you’re going to have to defend yourself.’ And that was the beginning of the Second Amendment, that’s where the whole thing came from. I can’t prove that historically and David [Barton] will counsel me when this is over, but I know that’s where it came from.

And the sword today is an AR-15, so if you don’t have one, go get one. You’re supposed to have one. It’s biblical.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wait until he tries running through Patrick Willis because God told him he'd get blocked.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:Lt Gen Gerry Boykin thinks that Jesus is coming back with an AR-15. He's checked it out...
The Lord is a warrior and in Revelation 19 it says when he comes back, he’s coming back as what? A warrior. A mighty warrior leading a mighty army, riding a white horse with a blood-stained white robe … I believe that blood on that robe is the blood of his enemies ’cause he’s coming back as a warrior carrying a sword.

And I believe now — I’ve checked this out — I believe that sword he’ll be carrying when he comes back is an AR-15.

Now I want you to think about this: where did the Second Amendment come from? … From the Founding Fathers, it’s in the Constitution. Well, yeah, I know that. But where did the whole concept come from? It came from Jesus when he said to his disciples, ‘Now, if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.’

I know, everybody says that was a metaphor. It was not a metaphor! He was saying ‘In building my kingdom, you’re going to have to fight at times. You won’t build my kingdom with a sword, but you’re going to have to defend yourself.’ And that was the beginning of the Second Amendment, that’s where the whole thing came from. I can’t prove that historically and David [Barton] will counsel me when this is over, but I know that’s where it came from.

And the sword today is an AR-15, so if you don’t have one, go get one. You’re supposed to have one. It’s biblical.
If it wasn't a metaphor, then everyone needs to actually get a sword with their cloak money.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: If it wasn't a metaphor, then everyone needs to actually get a sword with their cloak money.

I am holding out to see what David Barton says. You know, the self proclaimed historian who is easily proven wrong on just about everything, as Jefferson clearly wrote the polar opposite of what Barton says the Founding Fathers believed. Barton claims to own original copies of tons of handwritten letters and notes from Founding Fathers, bit apparently he selective chooses the passages that back his world view and ignores the rest.

Take your logic and go home, P.D.X. It is of no use in this discussion.

If Jesus comes back with an AR-15, there is a good bet he shoots up an elementary school. I'm sure one of those loons has a Messiah Complex.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I normally stay out of the gun debate because I have an irrational fear of guns and therefore probably a skewed opinion but I honestly believe that people that think their imaginary friend is coming on a horse, wearing a robe drenched in the blood of his enemies, and strapped with an AK so that he can light up all the heathens should probably not be allowed to have any guns.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jesus would never have an AK.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:Jesus would never have an AK.
Yeah, since Jesus is an American it would be an AR-15 <obvious>
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Lt Gen Gerry Boykin thinks that Jesus is coming back with an AR-15. He's checked it out...

OK, so I read the article and listened to the recording of Boykin. I'd love to know who the audience was. Since they were listening to Boykin and it seems that Barton was also there, I'm guessing they are like minded Far Right Christian Fundies. When he made the comment, the crowd burst out laughing. I was starting to think it was a joke, but no, he kept on preaching the AR-15 wielding Jesus. He was dead serious. He ended by telling the entire audience they should follow the 2nd Amendment (which is directly adapted from Revelations 19) and arm themselves with an AR-15. The crowd laughed, but he wasn't joking. He also mentioned "his students." I really hope he isn't a teacher.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Wow. He got promoted and moved even after being a zealotous douchebag while still on active duty. Fuckin' A. They guy led scores of soldiers in his time. And you aren't just guaranteed to make Lt. Gen. You have to prove your worth and earn it.

The military promotion system for officers is broken.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This thing is gold...
And what about Jesus? Did you believe Jesus was the Son of God?

Oh, yes. Sure. Yes, back then in the late ’50s, early ’60s when I was in Catholic school, everybody believed it.
That’s pretty much it. My philosophy is, generally speaking, if everybody followed Jesus’ teachings, then there wouldn’t be any war, wouldn’t be any strife, wouldn’t be any abuse.
So you believe that Jesus was sent by God and—

I believe the whole narrative. I’m going to accept it, because there’s no reason not to.
The problem with the secular-progressive movement is it simply cannot accept any people of faith and take them seriously. They’re so condescending and they’re so arrogant that, even though you might be a brilliant person, if you believe, you’re an idiot. So that just knocks out the whole Jesuit organization. It knocks out Thomas Aquinas, Augustine. Everybody is knocked out because they believe. That’s what the genesis of the criticism was.

When I was honest with 60 Minutes, I said, “Listen, I’m an ordinary guy.” I don’t consider myself to be extraordinary. I have ideas that come to me. And as a Christian, I believe those ideas, when they’re positive, come from the person who created me. And the person who created me is God, and in Christian theology, God is made up of three elements. So of course it would be the Holy Spirit. It’s all logical.

This is what all Christians, if they understand their faith, should believe. It’s not you [who is] creating this monumental book or song or hitting 500 home runs. It’s the talent that you’ve been given and that you’re blessed with. That’s what’s doing it.
Why do you think that there is so much sneering and ridicule toward religion by people who don’t believe?

Because they don’t want to be judged. They believe that religious people are judging their behavior, and they don’t want to be judged. They want to do what they want.

I’ve debated the most intellectual atheists in the world. The British guy. All the people who make an industry out of mocking people of faith. I’ve debated them all. And none of them can explain how the universe got here, how everything works so perfectly in nature, how the human body interacts, none of them, they have no clue. Despite all the science and all the technology, everything we have, they don’t know. Yet they have the nerve to mock people who believe that there’s something higher than human intellect?
You dedicated your book to those who love their neighbors as themselves. I thought a lot of the O’Reilly haters would be surprised to see that dedication.

They’ll never read it, though. The O’Reilly haters are pretty much the people that have no idea what I do. And I like that — I mean, I don’t have any problem with people disliking me, and I’ll tell you why. I’m not comparing myself, but who was the most hated person in Judea 2,000 years ago?
So much more fun.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Wow. amazing how he is doing the exact opposite of what he says in every one of those quotes. He hates non-believers because they are judgmental, yet assumes non-believers are afraid of being judged. Non-believers don't give a fuck what believers think about our lack of belief. Seriously, why would we?

I love how everyone should be Christian, then there would be no problems in the world. What would Bill O' say if a Muslim made that same exact claim? JIHAD!!?!?!?!? Sharia Law!?!?!?! They are trying to take over the country!

This is what kills me about O'Reilly. Why does science not having an answer to how the universe was created mean his religious creation myth is clearly right? And he is so fucking smug about it. "Tide comes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that!" God does it. BOOM! I'm right, you're wrong. Check. Fucking. Mate.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Of all the actards in the world, I probably would have least expected Matthew McConaughey as the least likely to praise Jebus in an Oscar speech. Go figure.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I was disappointed in that as well. It was way more than a casual mention too. That was some serious Ray Lewis type of narcissism.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wouldn't go that far.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Holy Spirit apparently isn't working very hard for this Kentucky church so they're trying to fill the pews with the next best things...
In an effort its spokesman has described as “outreach to rednecks,” the Kentucky Baptist Convention is leading “Second Amendment Celebrations,” where churches around the state give away guns as door prizes to lure in nonbelievers in hopes of converting them to Christ.

As many as 1,000 people are expected at the next one, on Thursday at Lone Oak Baptist Church in Paducah, where they will be given a free steak dinner and the chance to win one of 25 handguns, long guns and shotguns.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Turns out Jesus can't penetrate underwear. A pastor in Kenya told his flock to stop wearing underwear and bras to church on Sunday, to allow Jesus to enter (their lives). So of course they listened. Hope that scumbag had a good view from the pulpit.

*This article is from Bulawayo 24, so you know it's accurate.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Evolution is stupid.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Kent Hovind...that guy's actually doing 10 years in prison right now for tax evasion.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Jerloma wrote:The Holy Spirit apparently isn't working very hard for this Kentucky church so they're trying to fill the pews with the next best things...
In an effort its spokesman has described as “outreach to rednecks,” the Kentucky Baptist Convention is leading “Second Amendment Celebrations,” where churches around the state give away guns as door prizes to lure in nonbelievers in hopes of converting them to Christ.

As many as 1,000 people are expected at the next one, on Thursday at Lone Oak Baptist Church in Paducah, where they will be given a free steak dinner and the chance to win one of 25 handguns, long guns and shotguns.
That video is incredible.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is fucked up. This German family fled to the US because they have mandatory state sponsored schooling in Germany and they want the freedom to home-school their kids.
The couple wanted to safeguard its children from the “unchristian tendencies” in German schools; the curriculum was “neither Christian not value-neutral,” grumbled Uwe Romeike. The kids were educated “according to an anti-Christian world view,” school books were chockfull of obscene expressions, cursing, and blasphemy: “They focus more on vampires and witches than they do on God.” For a strict Christian [said Romeike], this is simply unendurable.
So they filed for fucking political asylum and the SCOTUS refused to even hear it. That of course inspired the cries of persecution from the good old religious right...

Team Obama wins fight to have Christian home-school family deported

Which now leads to them being granted something called indefinite deferred action status.

What the hell are we doing here?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:The Holy Spirit apparently isn't working very hard for this Kentucky church so they're trying to fill the pews with the next best things...

Well let's pack up the kids and take a break, get away
Leave the hustle and bustle of living from day to day
And I know that the crime in the city is-a getting worse
So we're going on down to the gun sale at the church

Well my lady's all set to have us a real good time
Baby Johnny's got fins but he don't seem to mind
So the family's all ready to pray at the holy perch
That's set up in the middle of the gun sale at the church

Well we'll ask the lord to forgive us all of our sins
And we'll look at the latest in gold plated firing pins
Well my two main men are Jesus and old John Birch
So we're going on down to the gun sale at the church
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:This is fucked up. This German family fled to the US because they have mandatory state sponsored schooling in Germany and they want the freedom to home-school their kids.
The couple wanted to safeguard its children from the “unchristian tendencies” in German schools; the curriculum was “neither Christian not value-neutral,” grumbled Uwe Romeike. The kids were educated “according to an anti-Christian world view,” school books were chockfull of obscene expressions, cursing, and blasphemy: “They focus more on vampires and witches than they do on God.” For a strict Christian [said Romeike], this is simply unendurable.
So they filed for fucking political asylum and the SCOTUS refused to even hear it. That of course inspired the cries of persecution from the good old religious right...

Team Obama wins fight to have Christian home-school family deported

Which now leads to them being granted something called indefinite deferred action status.

What the hell are we doing here?

So the Conservative Majority on the Court, very likely the most Conservative Court in the country's history, are now Team Obama? Last I checked, Obama doesn't have any say in what cases the Court chooses to hear. But I imagine that fact is lost on the majority of the Fox Kool-aid crowd. [Scottie, please note I am excluding all Fox viewers. If they have half a brain, they would see through that point]

The point of political or religious asylum is to protect people who would be killed or jailed for their religious or political beliefs, not because they don't like their county's school system. This is so overwhelmingly stupid, it makes me angry. I really can't wait for the "Christian Oppression" bullshit to subside. I just fear it will be here for the next 20 years. I imagine and hope it will lose steam, but it won't go away anytime soon. Of course it was OK when the Ashcroft and Gonzales Dept of Justice strictly hired only attorneys with "Christian values." You'd think that the Det. of Justice wouldn't have a hiring policy so clearly in violation of the anti-discrimination laws. Irony! Not to mention that an overwhelming number of attorneys hired graduated from unaccredited Christian law schools, whereas in the past, almost every attorney graduated from a top 5, maybe top 10 law school, but that was OK.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is so overwhelmingly stupid, it makes me angry.
Right? Everyone should be completely outraged over this shit.
Not to mention that an overwhelming number of attorneys hired graduated from unaccredited Christian law schools
It sounds like the lawyer that got the government to cave came from one of those schools too...
We’re not entirely sure what it all means, but it’s definitely good,” Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) attorney Jim Mason told Christianity Today. “It permits them to stay in the country and work here.”
The fuck?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And by the way, I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'...imagine if instead of being German this family is say...Cuban. Same exact scenario but they're as brown as Jesus. Or even better...what if they're Muslim? What if they just want to homeschool their kids so that they can have a Qu'ran-centered education? Are they getting indefinite deferred status?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:And by the way, I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'...imagine if instead of being German this family is say...Cuban. Same exact scenario but they're as brown as Jesus. Or even better...what if they're Muslim? What if they just want to homeschool their kids so that they can have a Qu'ran-centered education? Are they getting indefinite deferred status?
Just going to say the same thing. They are OK with immigrants "taking our jobs" as long as they are Christian and white? With a deferred status, they probably can't get back into the country if they leave. And if they ever go back to Germany, they completely kill their case.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I mean, listen to these assholes...
This is an incredible victory that can only be credited to our Almighty God.

We also want to thank those of who spoke up on this issue — including that long-ago White House petition. We believe that the public outcry made this possible while God delivered the victory. This is an amazing turnaround in 24 hours. Praise the Lord. Proverbs 21:1: “The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord, He guides it wherever He pleases.”
This is completely insane. We're claiming government-sponsored child abuse as a fucking victory.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is just a lovely use of taxpayer money...

Videos of the mock arrests posted online brought a wave of criticism for the Summit County Sheriff’s office from people who thought the deputies really were interrupting church services to make arrests.

Sheriff Steve Barry says his deputies took part in the mock arrests Sunday at a couple churches around Akron after the pastors approached his office and asked it to participate.

The churches staged the arrests as part of their “Defending the Faith” sermons. Videos showed deputies handcuffing pastors while they preached and placing them in patrol cars.

The goal of the dramatization is to make people more aware of what it takes for pastors to defend the Christian faith beyond preaching on Sundays.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:This is just a lovely use of taxpayer money...
Videos of the mock arrests posted online brought a wave of criticism for the Summit County Sheriff’s office from people who thought the deputies really were interrupting church services to make arrests.

Sheriff Steve Barry says his deputies took part in the mock arrests Sunday at a couple churches around Akron after the pastors approached his office and asked it to participate.

The churches staged the arrests as part of their “Defending the Faith” sermons. Videos showed deputies handcuffing pastors while they preached and placing them in patrol cars.

The goal of the dramatization is to make people more aware of what it takes for pastors to defend the Christian faith beyond preaching on Sundays.

I guess if you can't find a real example of persecution, stage and film a fake one! How long before Sean Hannity airs this, claims it is real and has a panel full of loons rail on about it, then never bother to retract the story? I can seen Gretchen Carlson going batshit crazy over this.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And here's the thing, Syb. Imagine any other group (let alone Atheists) even having the audacity to ask the police department to be part of their publicity stunt let alone being able to make it happen. "Can you guys just pretend to be fascist assholes so that we can feign persecution some more"? You have to have so much fucking clout just to even entertain this idea. So let's just call it irony that in order to demonstrate how persecuted you are, you're using your incredibly privileged position to facilitate it!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:And here's the thing, Syb. Imagine any other group (let alone Atheists) even having the audacity to ask the police department to be part of their publicity stunt let alone being able to make it happen. "Can you guys just pretend to be fascist assholes so that we can feign persecution some more"? You have to have so much fucking clout just to even entertain this idea. So let's just call it irony that in order to demonstrate how persecuted you are, you're using your incredibly privileged position to facilitate it!
Did you read the comments? Almost everyone had the same take as us, and the locals were pissed that the police were filming a propaganda tape instead of, you know, protecting the citizens. One idiot kept replying that the police didn't do anything wrong, because the pastor "asked them to." WTF? Police are obligated to do whatever you ask them to? The same guy was on the bandwagon, and when asked to give an example of persecution said that this scenario could happen in the future. Really? Christianity practiced inside a church is in danger of being criminalized? The only danger Christianity faces in this country is dwindling numbers of parishioners due to idiotic shit they are pulling.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is supposed to be serious. (I think.) But I laughed way too hard at it.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Make no mistake about it...Christianity is a death cult. Look at the most heralded verse in the bible that they like to throw around...John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. The verse is vile because it's based on the blood sacrifice of a child. We don't act like that. If one of you dudes ever pissed me off and when it came time to forgive you I decided that I'd kill one of my kids for you instead...you'd rightfully think I'm a sociopath. So why is it okay for God? "Oh, because he's God...mysterious ways and shit!" Stop it...once you start holding your deity to a lower standard for morality than you hold yourself to, you should realize that your religion isn't, never was, and never will be your source for moral behavior.