Post by Bensell »

I started both of these last night:

Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Scottie
Donny

Re: Spring Thaw Reading Thread

Post by Scottie »

This was fun.

If you're a Dante fan. Well, even if you don't touch the stuff. I first read this novel back in High School. So that was, what, when it first came out? Yeeeesh. Anyway, it's a good bit of fun. Don't worry, there's no Sci-Fi in it. But I picked it up for kicks because I was reading Pinsky's translation of Dante:

About to start in on this (which I'm very much looking forward to):

(Each image goes to the corresponding Amazon page)
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Just cracked this:

Since I am helping to found a technology company, might as well see how it is done.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

If any of you are Kindle/eReader users and want some additions to your library send me a PM.

I've uploaded the majority of my library to a Google drive and am willing to share.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Arriving at my door in less than 24 hours:

mini puke to 1,558
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote:If any of you are Kindle/eReader users and want some additions to your library send me a PM.

I've uploaded the majority of my library to a Google drive and am willing to share.
How does this work?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:If any of you are Kindle/eReader users and want some additions to your library send me a PM.

How does this work?
Magnets.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I send a link to the files in the cloud, you peruse and DL what you want, then put them on your Kindle or whatever.

(they are all .Mobi files)
govmentchedda wrote:
How does this work?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:

How does this work?
It's called stealing. Welcome to the internet.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's called sharing man. Welcome to the 60s.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:It's called sharing man. Welcome to the 60s.
Ask the authors what they call it.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Publishers, not authors. It's the houses that make the $ not the authors.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:It's called sharing man. Welcome to the 60s.
Ask the authors what they call it.
It's called don't trust anybody over thirty, maaaaaannn!

Which means nobody can trust anybody on this site cause most all of us are over 30. And even if GPS isn't quite there, he's knocking on that do' sho 'nuff
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:Ask the authors what they call it.
A library.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Might as well throw this out here. A buddy of mine from high school recently published his first novel. He quite his job and moved to Portland to do this. I was pretty skeptical of the whole idea, thinking it was poor planning and a pipe dream. However, he got it published with a fledgling company and I bought it to support him (basically as a way of saying "I'm proud you followed through"), and I've gotta say, I thought it was excellent. A very unique novel.

If you've got 20$ to blow on something one random guy on the internet told you was decent, try this one. I'd like to know what someone else thinks about it.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Recalibratio ... alibration
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:Might as well throw this out here. A buddy of mine from high school recently published his first novel. He quite his job and moved to Portland to do this. I was pretty skeptical of the whole idea, thinking it was poor planning and a pipe dream. However, he got it published with a fledgling company and I bought it to support him (basically as a way of saying "I'm proud you followed through"), and I've gotta say, I thought it was excellent. A very unique novel.

If you've got 20$ to blow on something one random guy on the internet told you was decent, try this one. I'd like to know what someone else thinks about it.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Recalibratio ... alibration
Meh, I'd rather wait to borrow it from Rush.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Year's only half done, but right now, this is the best novel I've read this year. (One of the best in recent years actually).

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I loved The Sisters Brothers. I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, but I have been reading, as is generally the case when I travel for work. I read several by Bernard Cornwell, including 1356, Heretic, Vagabond, and Lords of the North. I also re-read a couple Bill Bryson books - A Walk in the Woods, and I'm a Stranger Here, Myself.

Now, I'm starting a memoir by Jay Farrar, founder-member of Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Those you are borrowing from my library, Google evidently only lets you view 500 files. I've reorganized into sub folders so once it finishes syncing you'll be able to see all of them.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote:Those you are borrowing from my library, Google evidently only lets you view 500 files. I've reorganized into sub folders so once it finishes syncing you'll be able to see all of them.
Yeah, I didn't want to be greedy, but your list stopped near I, if I recall correctly.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I finished Devil in the White City. Not at all what I expected, but very interesting. I'd be more interested in reading about the exhibits at the fair, or what it was like from a patrons point of view. I can;t imagine how astounding it must have been seeing electric lights for the first time, and there are 10s of 1000s of bulbs lighting up all-white buildings on the grandest scale of anything ever built up to that point. Or the first Ferris Wheel ever, and it held 2,000 people? Hold F! People had to be crazy to get on that fucking thing! I feel like I need to read a book on Herman Webster Mudgett (aka Dr. HH Holmes), the serial killer. How have I not heard of him?!?

I tried listening to David Sedaris' Chipmunk Seeks Squirrel. I've listened to most of Sedaris' books and really enjoy listening to him and his crew reading them, but this one is just plain awful. He is just trying so hard to be cute, it's painful. And he is trying to be Aesop, and he ain't. I actually quit about halfway through.

Now listening to Last Jew Standing. Sure, the title and author name intrigued me. The description intrigued me, a homicide detective gets a late night visit from his estranged father on the run from the mafia with a 20 year old Russian hooker in tow. Then the father served time in Elmira State Prison, where my father worked out of, so I had to get it. Not the best writing, but it moves fast and is keeping me riveted and awake on the road and wanting more. It does seem to be the last of a 4 book series, but it doesn't really matter.

-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:I finished Devil in the White City. Not at all what I expected, but very interesting. I'd be more interested in reading about the exhibits at the fair, or what it was like from a patrons point of view. I can;t imagine how astounding it must have been seeing electric lights for the first time, and there are 10s of 1000s of bulbs lighting up all-white buildings on the grandest scale of anything ever built up to that point. Or the first Ferris Wheel ever, and it held 2,000 people? Hold F! People had to be crazy to get on that fucking thing! I feel like I need to read a book on Herman Webster Mudgett (aka Dr. HH Holmes), the serial killer. How have I not heard of him?!?
Maybe I should apologize for that because I initially recommended it. (LINK) And I've had this ongoing email correspondence with Larson for about a year. Very odd. We discuss the strangest things. Mostly BC terrain.

But it is a great book, right? One of the few that I re-read upon reading. I thought it was that good. That intriguing.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Scottie wrote:
But it is a great book, right? One of the few that I re-read upon reading. I thought it was that good. That intriguing.

I really liked it, though I've set In The Garden Of Beasts down a number of times, just not as interesting a subject.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Scottie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Ask the authors what they call it.
A library.
Sure, as long as when Rush is done and transfers it to someone else he deletes it.

I tried to find Devil in the White City last night but it was checked out. Ended up with Salt and Absurdistan.

Finishing up Happy Happy Happy which was an impulse gift from my wife. Didn't care for the first few chapters but started liking it more when he got to how he built his company.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I finished Devil in the White City. Not at all what I expected, but very interesting. I'd be more interested in reading about the exhibits at the fair, or what it was like from a patrons point of view. I can;t imagine how astounding it must have been seeing electric lights for the first time, and there are 10s of 1000s of bulbs lighting up all-white buildings on the grandest scale of anything ever built up to that point. Or the first Ferris Wheel ever, and it held 2,000 people? Hold F! People had to be crazy to get on that fucking thing! I feel like I need to read a book on Herman Webster Mudgett (aka Dr. HH Holmes), the serial killer. How have I not heard of him?!?
Maybe I should apologize for that because I initially recommended it. (LINK) And I've had this ongoing email correspondence with Larson for about a year. Very odd. We discuss the strangest things. Mostly BC terrain.

Very interesting. What threw me more than anything is that my father pushed the book so hard. As I mentioned, he gave me the book in hard cover probably 7 or 8 years ago, I just never got around to reading it. I based it on my father's typical read, which is historical fiction and crime thriller type books, so expected more of a thriller. While I did find it interesting having a behind the scenes look at the near-impossible task of the architects to get it done, I'd love to have a chapter or two from the patrons' perspective. That, or I should find an another book to supplement this one.

As far as Mudgett, I am shocked I didn't know his story, as I used to read a lot about serial killers, their psychology and the hunt for them. I mentioned it elsewhere, but in high school I took 2 forensics courses and in college I took a course on Criminal Psychology, in which I did a 20 page paper on profiling. My research included an interview with the profiler for the NYPD Homicide Unit. I was strongly considering criminal profiling as a career path until I read the autobiography of John Douglas, the father of the Investigative Support Unit of the FBI, which does their profiling. Realizing how much it fucks you up seeing all these crime scenes and devoting your life to the fucked up crimes was enough to put me off the dream. Great book, though:

-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Rush2112 wrote:
Scottie wrote:

I really liked it, though I've set In The Garden Of Beasts down a number of times, just not as interesting a subject.
same with me. it's almost like devil raised my expectations for in the garden of beasts to an unreasonable level.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Scottie wrote:

same with me. it's almost like devil raised my expectations for in the garden of beasts to an unreasonable level.
Glad y'all told me, as I was just looking into Garden.
-Pruitt
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

I did it so you don't have to:

You're welcome.

To make up for this transgression, I just started:
ImageImage

1861 is particularly good so far
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Good - especially the section on the Tar Sands.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I finished this last night:

It was decent, but not one of his best.

Next up are:

and for howard:

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I saw the Stockman book in the store last weekend. I need to take a break from economics, finance and crimes for a bit. Stockman is great, but I'll probably wait for the paperback. I bet it is really good; I await hearing your reaction.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

howard wrote:I saw the Stockman book in the store last weekend. I need to take a break from economics, finance and crimes for a bit. Stockman is great, but I'll probably wait for the paperback. I bet it is really good; I await hearing your reaction.
I have read section one while watching the Open today and it is really good. He totally exposes all of the lies that brought about TARP and now it is on to eviscerating supply side economics.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Bensell wrote:…now it is on to eviscerating supply side economics.
He was for it, before he was against it?

(Naw, Stockman is a good man. Even though he was Reagan's budget director, he never bought into that bullshit. He actually fought tooth and nail for that administration to honor their low-deficit rhetoric, to no avail. Stockman actually wanted higher taxes. Eh, there was a cold war to fight, a MIC to feed.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

BTTG wrote:I did it so you don't have to:

You're welcome.

To make up for this transgression, I just started:
ImageImage

1861 is particularly good so far
I really liked Beautiful Ruins
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have these waiting for me on the reserve shelf at the library. Not sure which I will pick up first.

Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

This has been a nice alternative to the Stockman book when I get sick of economics:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Have these waiting for me on the reserve shelf at the library. Not sure which I will pick up first.

Sex on the moon is a fun read, but I had the sense that the NASA intern was completely full of shit. It's gotta be tough to write a true story when the main actor is a bullshit artist. Still, a fun read and an interesting insight into the NASA internship program. Who knew it was full of hot chicks looking to party? Oh, wait, the guy who told the story to the author is a complete pathological liar. Right. Let's add 30 pounds to the description of all the hot chicks and tone down the parties a couple dozen notches... That said, I really liked how the author told the story.

Finally got around to listening to Swamp Favorite Omnivore's Dilemma. Fucking cheap corn bringing down the Empire. Mother fucker.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Have these waiting for me on the reserve shelf at the library. Not sure which I will pick up first.

Sex on the moon is a fun read, but I had the sense that the NASA intern was completely full of shit. It's gotta be tough to write a true story when the main actor is a bullshit artist. Still, a fun read and an interesting insight into the NASA internship program. Who knew it was full of hot chicks looking to party? Oh, wait, the guy who told the story to the author is a complete pathological liar. Right. Let's add 30 pounds to the description of all the hot chicks and tone down the parties a couple dozen notches... That said, I really liked how the author told the story.
I treat his work as fiction. The intro to this book admits that he had added some color to the events and that it is based on conversations with a bs artist.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

I treat his work as fiction. The intro to this book admits that he had added some color to the events and that it is based on conversations with a bs artist.

In that case, it's a great read.
-Pruitt