The Worst Song Ever

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HDO45331
Brandt

Re: The Worst Song Ever

Post by HDO45331 »

Worst song ever, without a doubt:

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" by the 1910 Fruitgum Company was released my senior year in high school. This could have ruined music for me, had I paid attention to it. Even then, I did not like, or listen to, top 40 stations. Bubble Gum music.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
rass wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:That's atrocious. It sounds like something Maroon 5 would come up with.
It's a hundred milliony times worse than Moves Like Jagger.

That's not even possible. Moves Like Jagger and Payphone are some of the worst musical works this country has ever witnessed.
Maroon 5 is on the pantheon of the all time worst forms of entertainment.

And the fact that the lead singer - who has perhaps the most treated voice in music - is a singing coach on a tv show is hysterical.

Okay - courting controversy here. Lou Reed put out some great music - some of his songs are on my perpetual playlist and New Sensations and Live In Italy are all time classics.

HOWEVER - he released a lot of pure shit. None worse than Metal Machine Music a double album of noise that was either 1) A grand dadaist experiment designed to alienate his audience or 2) A way to get out of a record contract. Take your pick. Either way, the result is thoroughly unlistenable.

Which wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that towards the end of his life - and long after it became abundantly clear that he was a spent creative force (IMO) - he actually took Metal Machine Music on tour.

Be thankful you weren't at THIS show...

Particularly love the fact that at the end of this piece, the great man cues the band that the song is over. There's a stunned silence and then one pretentious jagoff starts whooping.

Noise music is actually a thing though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Noise music is actually a thing though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I know...

Who the hell would date someone who listened to that shit though?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Artsy chicks?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote:I can live a full and happy live never hearing Sam Smith, Ed Sheeren, or that Hozier "Take Me To Church" song ever again. Or anything by Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea, or Miley Cyrus.
This song doesn't seem so bad:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Damn it, Grooveshark going under means I can't see who the hell sang the song that inspired this thread. I can't remember who it was.

EDIT: Check that, found it. Royal Bliss is the name of that shittastic band.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Here's the playlist if you guys ever want to throw this on to chill for an afternoon:

https://tapely.com/old-moes-bagel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So what was the objective of this contest, or of this mixtape?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Not the point of this thread but my office is having a mixed-tape contest. I'm taking it very seriously.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That mix tape is not even likeable ironically.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

P.D.X. wrote:Here's the playlist if you guys ever want to throw this on to chill for an afternoon:
https://tapely.com/old-moes-bagel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh man, I still love "At Seventeen" and "Which Way You Goin' Billy?" I guess you had to be an angsty 17 when you heard the first one, and a pre-pubescent 12 year old when you heard the second. So there may be some nostalgia going on here. But I'll stand my pop ground on this.

"Seventeen" is the kind of authentic teen self-disclosure song that doesn't show up in pop songs enough. This was "It gets better" for my generation. Consider it an effective bit of suicide prevention disguised as a cool folk/pop song.

"Billy" is a nice pop tune with a fine arrangement. Dig that first drum bit. The sharp guitar comping behind the verses. The soulful bass. And then the powerful, swelling chorus! Even on an AM radio, this was a sweet song.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DC47 wrote: "Billy" is a nice pop tune with a fine arrangement. Dig that first drum bit. The sharp guitar comping behind the verses. The soulful bass. And then the powerful, swelling chorus! Even on an AM radio, this was a sweet song.
Brutal song - the aural equivalent of waterboarding.

Here's another excremental song about this Billy character -
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pruitt wrote:
DC47 wrote: "Billy" is a nice pop tune with a fine arrangement. Dig that first drum bit. The sharp guitar comping behind the verses. The soulful bass. And then the powerful, swelling chorus! Even on an AM radio, this was a sweet song.
Brutal song - the aural equivalent of waterboarding.

Here's another excremental song about this Billy character
That is so harsh. Even I thought the Bo Donaldson hero song was unlistenable tripe when it came out. But you're missing some fine musicianship and arranging by tossing the previous Billy song into this category. Did I mention the plaintive longing in the lead vocal? If Billie Holliday had been alive when this came out, she would have dug it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

1-877-Kars-4-Kids, K-A-R-S Kars-4-Kids......
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I had to look up the other one. Walking on the Sun. I remember now.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Not necessarily the worst songs ever, but any song that's described as An Anthem For A Generation is objectively garbage.

Watching the Voice a few weeks ago, an Indian girl sung this song "New Americana". Never heard it before, but I'm thinking "I legitimately hate whoever wrote these lyrics". Masochistically I look it up on Wiki, and the writer is some 18 year old broad who describes herself as tri-bi, as in biracial, bisexual, and bipolar, and I'm already in what the fuck mode. Between that and Fun (or fun? or fun& or however those idiots stylize themselves), awful.

And don't think this is my bi-monthly slag on the Millennials. I'm part of Generation X, and the 90s were our heyday. Between "Changes" by Pac (the Jim Morrison of hip-hop), "You Get What You Give", and "Flagpole Sitter" (and don't give the satire argument on the last one, it's still warm piss), just stop trying to be the voice of the youth.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote:Not necessarily the worst songs ever, but any song that's described as An Anthem For A Generation is objectively garbage.

Watching the Voice a few weeks ago, an Indian girl sung this song "New Americana". Never heard it before, but I'm thinking "I legitimately hate whoever wrote these lyrics". Masochistically I look it up on Wiki, and the writer is some 18 year old broad who describes herself as tri-bi, as in biracial, bisexual, and bipolar, and I'm already in what the fuck mode. Between that and Fun (or fun? or fun& or however those idiots stylize themselves), awful.

And don't think this is my bi-monthly slag on the Millennials. I'm part of Generation X, and the 90s were our heyday. Between "Changes" by Pac (the Jim Morrison of hip-hop), "You Get What You Give", and "Flagpole Sitter" (and don't give the satire argument on the last one, it's still warm piss), just stop trying to be the voice of the youth.
I literally cannot place any of these songs and we aren't that far off in age.

Edit: Went to the youtubes, and now I recognize them. But I had not idea what they were called, what the bands were except Tupac.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:Not necessarily the worst songs ever, but any song that's described as An Anthem For A Generation is objectively garbage.

I literally cannot place any of these songs and we aren't that far off in age.
Me either, but I stopped listening to new popular music when I was about 14.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I had to Google snippets of the lyrics that were in my skull to get the song title. My car back then only had a radio, and I never took the trouble of adding a CD player.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(Just because I love to add overwrought context to why I picked a thread, we had a recent discussion about songs that are creepy in their depiction of teen (at best) sexuality and that would have been a great spot to drop a song by a woman but it was in the Podcasts thread and it was on a previous page of the thread and there were a lot of replies without quotes so there wasn't just one post I could grab to capture the full conversation. So here we are because the song is pretty silly.)

Anyway, with the song The Babysitter Betty Wright largely ripped off the spirit and rhythm of her own prior hit, Clean Up Woman, and did so with lyrics depicting a sexy 16-year-old girl stealing her man and a song that includes a bunch of cheesy nursery rhyme motifs just to drive everything home.

Though she was only 18 when this came out and apparently wrote it herself.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

The music's good in that Betty Wright song...

But oh boy!

Here's one that has obsessed a friend of mine since he was a kid. Written by Rupert "Pina Colada Song" Holmes, and perhaps the best song ever written about cannabalism.

Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

During dinner my wife went off on a rampage about the worst song she'd ever heard.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It’s nothing special, but I can’t see why it would set somebody off.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:01 pm It’s nothing special, but I can’t see why it would set somebody off.
She’s sexually frustrated.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Perhaps Pruitt can only make love for several hours at a time rather than all night long and she doesn't want him to feel bad?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I’m with Mrs. Pruitt…what makes it a candidate for the worst is how popular it was when it was released. The lyrics are just dumb yet it got a ton of airplay. A girl I used to work with in junior high/high school called it “the slut song”.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

No no and no...

What sets her off is that the lyrics are about a woman picking up a vagrant-type and using him to get pregnant because her husband is sterile. And years later they run into each other and the guy sees his own kid that he didn't know existed. (My wife's interpretation)
It was a rainy night
When he came into sight
Standing by the road
No umbrella, no coat
So I pulled up along side
And I offered him a ride
He accepted with a smile
So we drove for a while
I didn't ask him his name
This lonely boy in the rain
Fate, tell me it's right, is this love at first sight?
Please don't make it wrong, just stay for the night

All I wanna do is make love to you
Say you will, you want me too
I've got lovin' arms to hold on to

So we found this hotel
It was a place I knew well
We made magic that night
Oh, he did everything right
He brought the woman out of me
So many times, easily
And in the mornin' when he woke
All I left him was a note
I told him I am the flower, you are the seed
We walked in the garden, we planted a tree
Don't try to find me, please don't you dare
Just live in my memory, you'll always be there

One night of love was all we knew
All wanna do is make love to you
I've got lovin' arms to hold on to, oh
Ooh, we made love
Love like strangers
All night long
We made love

Then it happened one day
We came 'round the same way
You can imagine his surprise
When he saw his own eyes
I said, "Please, please understand
I'm in love with another man
And what he couldn't give me, oh-oh
Was the one little thing that you can
"
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

We all know it's Love Shack. End it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Heart song is too funny to be the worst.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:43 pm The Heart song is too funny to be the worst.
It’s a weird song with a great melody and a hook everyone know. Which is most pop songs.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

A_B wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:48 pm
rass wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:43 pm The Heart song is too funny to be the worst.
It’s a weird song with a great melody and a hook everyone know. Which is most pop songs.
My 23 year old daughter thinks it sounds like every 90s song she's ever heard.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt3 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:47 am
A_B wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:48 pm
My 23 year old daughter thinks it sounds like every 90s song she's ever heard.
Totally fair!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sitting in the waiting room getting my car serviced. Trying to get work done, but they are blasting horrible 70s soft rock that reminds me of horrible 80s wedding bands. The damned Heart song is playing now.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:49 am Sitting in the waiting room getting my car serviced. Trying to get work done, but they are blasting horrible 70s soft rock that reminds me of horrible 80s wedding bands. The damned Heart song is playing now.
Please, please understand.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It Sirius The Blend. And I might snap.

Saaaaaaaaaailing, takes me awaaaaaaaayyy!
Canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see!
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sorry, nothing I've seen since 2015 has shaken my confidence in We Built This City as the worst song ever. It's everything that's wrong with that Heart song (which I'm okay with), multiplied by infinity.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:21 am Sorry, nothing I've seen since 2015 has shaken my confidence in We Built This City as the worst song ever. It's everything that's wrong with that Heart song (which I'm okay with), multiplied by infinity.
That's a strong selection.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Have I ever mentioned how much I fucking hate Air Supply? No? Then in that case, I fucking hate Air Supply.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anything by The Pretenders?

I don't know what it is about them, but, man... Hate.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.