Mad Men

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Mad Men

Post by Johnnie »

Grown up Glen Bishop (Weiner's son IRL) looks like he could be Bronto's younger brother.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Favorite prediction/theory I've read: Don left the social security card in the car, Ambiguously Gay Andy becomes the new Don Draper, and the name is just passed along like the Dread Pirate Roberts.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Some weak sauce, that. Cute ending joke, I suppose. But I expected more.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ok, I slept on it (forgot to post yesterday) and I changed my mind. I like the finale.

At first I didn't like the happily ever after for everyone (except Betty). But what bugged me wasn't the happy endings for all the other characters, but for Don. I was unsatisfied that after Don was laid so low, so desperate and empty, that something big needed to happen for his redemption. And short of something big, he needed to die (suicide, probably.)

But, his redemption via a stupid fucking ad* that became the biggest ad of all time, is kinda apt. Something I initially did not view as big enough, but upon further review, just the thing for redemption. And an apt bookend to the first episode ("It's Toasted!")

I still don't like Peggy finding true love w/an office romance. But, that's part of her becoming Don Draper, marrying her 'secretary'. Maybe Roger's fourth wife will be Rizzo's mom.

*I should note how fucking annoying this ad was to anyone who was alive in 1971. Consider the most vapid, ear grating syrupy radio hit song (which it was), played ten times more often than a big radio hit. My long standing hatred for that ad burst into a hatred for the ending. Plus, I drank Pepsi.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think he did "die." Well, Dick Whitman did. With the hug of the man that represented what Dick Whitman was, a nothing, a nobody, he finally shed that skin and fully became Don Draper.

You can see it on his "Oming" face, he was at peace.

Also, I liked the various references to the camp in Big Sur in the Coke commercial (ribbons in the girls hair, particular outfits, etc.)
I'm glad that Peggy got together with Stan, I think it's Weiner's nod to the fans, rather than have he fall for the DC lawyer/blind date from earlier this season.

Pepsi sucks.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rush2112 wrote: Pepsi sucks.
You watch it.

I'll do you like you're getting done in the AFC Championship thread. I'll do you like a biker in a parking lot in Waco.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It is a happy ending for Don--coming up with the big idea is what makes him happy. That and more girls will probably want to play with his D now that he knows yoga and came up with the Coke song.

The Peggy/Stan ending was really corny, but they're cute together, and their kids probably won't grow up to be the Preppie Killer like Gene will.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: Pepsi sucks.
You watch it.

I'll do you like you're getting done in the AFC Championship thread. I'll do you like a biker in a parking lot in Waco.
What's that? I can't hear you over the crowd..

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm going to need to read a review from someone who watched this season much more closely than me about how I should feel about this.

I have no idea what happened with my attention span for this show, but I just couldn't focus with it the way I did Breaking Bad, Californication, Sons of Anarchy, or even Dexter.

But it was worth it to see Joan do coke. That made me chuckle.

(Please explain to this young'n the significance of that Coke commercial. Is that what made it a global brand? I get the feeling that was a major cultural phenomenon for the 70's. And what does it have to do with Don becoming a hippie?)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Coke was already a global brand, but that commercial turned out to be the most famous thing they've ever done, in a long history of heavy advertising. I think it was picked because it captures the ethos of the entire show so well: there's nothing that can't be wrapped up in a neat little package and sold; in this case, both the 60's counterculture and Don's long voyage of self-discovery.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rex wrote:Coke was already a global brand, but that commercial turned out to be the most famous thing they've ever done, in a long history of heavy advertising. I think it was picked because it captures the ethos of the entire show so well: there's nothing that can't be wrapped up in a neat little package and sold; in this case, both the 60's counterculture and Don's long voyage of self-discovery.
Like Joan's booger sugar!

Anyhoo, thanks for the perspective. I seriously had no bearing of the show. I was expecting the D.B. Cooper ending.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just started watching the first season this week and thinking this show is bullshit because who wouldn't want to go home to Alison Brie every night?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's a joke by the way. It's good.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I enjoyed this. I was a New Seekers fan and actually liked the song. I think I still have some kind of promotional 45. That's RPMs for those of you after we used up all the fun.

I also enjoyed the story about how they shot the visual. So much can go wrong, and so much must go right.

Deep personal revelation: when I was but a lad, my mom -- a real looker -- and I were in a Coke ad. I paddled around her while she floated on a lounge in a swimming pool.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ah, child actor. From there to bar fights w/bikers.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

As I recall, I appeared only twice in the film and advertisement biz. The second time was in a voice-over as Timmy the teenager in some kind of instructional video, while I was trying to become the next bop trombone giant. So not exactly a great acting career.

I did later direct TV and radio ads for a ballot initiative. I didn't appear; in one I cast my daughters. I had never owned a TV and didn't listen to commercial radio, but that proved no impediment to spending $200K on these spots. That was fascinating (and we won the election), but a one-time thing.

My real brush with the film industry was turning down the gig at what became LucasFilm in Marin to work on the second Star Wars II as a computer engineer. Almost ran into Sneak Pete Kleinow, post Burrito Brothers, on that one.

Lucas had a very small shop at the time. Credentials meant nothing. I was approached on the basis of an early computer game involving a junkie looking to score, who interacted with dealers, mugging victims, and police. Perhaps also because I had been found sleeping in a closet in the computer lab. No idea where my career would have gone if I had gone with Lucas. Ideally, getting together with Linda Ronstadt, as I was way more everything than Lucas. Except talented, mature, and rich.

More likely, suicide or heavy drinking, as I passionately hated each Star Wars more than the last.

Still, there were interesting technical challenges. That was how the job was sold to me. A bit after Star Wars I hit the studios I was shown material including still frames (e.g, 'see through' planets, jerky movements) that demonstrated how weak the effects were. The head of computing or whatever they called it had a vision of how to do it better. Obviously, someone made good on this. I liked the technical end, but no way did I want to be associated with such crappy movies.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You stick out a couple more crappy space movies, and Pixar/Steve Jobs.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Well, I did kind of like Wall-e. But that would have required three decades of sticking it out.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Just started watching the first season this week and thinking this show is bullshit because who wouldn't want to go home to Alison Brie every night?
Right? I think it just shows how much of a goddamned moron that Pete is.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF and I finally finished off the last season of Mad Men last night.

I kinda hated how everyone got a "happy ending", except for Betty.

Pretty amazed that I was able to stay in the dark about it for 4 years...yes, I'd heard about Don and the Coke Ad, but nothing about Betty's cancer, Peggy and Stan, or Pete moving to Wichita to work for LearJet and getting back together with Trudy.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I just finished season 1 and I must have missed something. Why did he switch dog tags with the real Draper after the explosion?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 pm I just finished season 1 and I must have missed something. Why did he switch dog tags with the real Draper after the explosion?
So he could usurp his identity.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I know, but why?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Because Dick Whitman was a loser and he wanted a new identity.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:15 pm I know, but why?
If you haven't watched beyond Season One, they actually do dig in a little as to why in subsequent seasons. It's not like a huge plot point or anything, but you get introduced to Whitman's childhood and upbringing.