The Star Wars Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The Star Wars Thread

Post by rass »

11:15PM tomorrow evening. Bought the ticket last week, I guess just after I said I wouldn't be back in this thread until after I saw the movie. The theater is one of those pre-pick your seat places and I got a pretty good location, even though it was one of the last 10 or 15 seats available.

And I've avoided reading reviews, but have seen some headlines and they have all looked pretty promising.

Also, do we all agree this a SPOILERS thread at this point?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A number of people have already seen it, between the premiere and theater staff leaking stuff--so if you want to avoid some major spoilers, I strongly recommend staying clear of anything Star Wars-related on the internet until then.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, I think the review embargo ended at 12:01AM this morning.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote:No spoilers - but the review blackout is over and initially at 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Which, of course, is pretty awesome news to a geek like me. And one of the few less positive reviews is from Salon - which gives me confidence - as Salon is, per usual, full of negative pop culture scolds.

Saturday at 12:50 is my showtime. Very much looking forward to it.
Agree that this is Spoilers now - but would hope people would wait to see it before spoiling. Other than getting gist of critic reaction - I am not reading any reviews until after I see it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote:
tennbengal wrote:No spoilers - but the review blackout is over and initially at 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Which, of course, is pretty awesome news to a geek like me. And one of the few less positive reviews is from Salon - which gives me confidence - as Salon is, per usual, full of negative pop culture scolds.

Saturday at 12:50 is my showtime. Very much looking forward to it.
Agree that this is Spoilers now - but would hope people would wait to see it before spoiling. Other than getting gist of critic reaction - I am not reading any reviews until after I see it.
First hand spoilers only! (I agree)
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I lucked in to getting a ticket for the first showing on Thursday evening, but I'll probably wait a few days after that to talk spoilers in here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Friday at 8:30 for me. Not a huge fan, but pretty excited about it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote:Friday at 8:30 for me. Not a huge fan, but pretty excited about it.
My wife is currently on episode I (watched IV first) she's never seen any of them, but was "excited?" to see the new one.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, my 15 year old is excited to see the new one, but hadn't seen any of them, so we got the Blu*Rays and got into it. We're watching them Machete style (I didn't know this was a thing until recently, I just knew how I'd want to watch it, or more accurately show it to someone new to the whole thing.) You watch Episodes IV (Hope) and V (Empire), then you swing through 1-2-3* to get the back story on Darth Vader, then you watch RotJ.

* - The dude that came up with the idea actually says to skip Phantom, not because it's a horrible movie (though he stipulates that it is), but because so much of the plot is either irrelevant or confusing.

So, we're not skipping Phantom and that's what we popped in last night. Holy crap! you guys. I had forgotten what a horrible HORRIBLE movie that was. Just dreadful. There are so many problems with it... And I know that repeating even just the most egregious is covering well trod turf, so I won't get into it. The one thing I find interesting, and I'll need to go back and look, but I'm surprised the movie wasn't called out for being racist and anti-Semitic. The Gungans... so obviously a Jamaican caricature, and of course they are primarily bumbling fools speaking Pidgin English. And the shopkeeper? Holy shit, hooked nose and scrabble-beard, and all he cares about is money? Just... wow.

Maybe all of that got heat back in the day and I forgot.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rush2112 wrote:My wife is currently on episode I (watched IV first) she's … "excited?" to see the new one.
Yeah, I and II might fix that, particularly I, as above.

I was 21 years old, well past my mild sci-fi and space geek phase. There was so much excitement and critical acclaim in the weeks following release of the first one, IV, I went to see it, and really liked it. Corny but fun, enjoyable effects, but not groundbreaking (like Close Encounters or Blade Runner.)

I went to see the next two in the theater, with less interest for each, but back then I went to the movies a lot. By the time Phantom/I came out I had no interest, but because everyone said it was so horrible I did watch it on cable six months later. Saw II on tv, haven't seen III.

So I am detached from but interested in all the hoopla and excitement around this version. I don't plan on seeing it in the theater unless everyone considers it the best thing since whatever.

I'm sure many were wondering 'so what does the old guy think of this wonderfulness?' It is cool so many people are excited and happy.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:My wife is currently on episode I (watched IV first) she's … "excited?" to see the new one.
Yeah, I and II might fix that, particularly I.
I asked, and she didn't seem that put back by it's awfulness (she also enjoys Tyler Perry movies.) It's also a snow day for her, and everything is better on a snow day.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Maybe all of that got heat back in the day and I forgot.
Yeah, it did.

Saw this over the weekend. Some guy edited all of the "cheese" out of the prequesls, including making changes like giving the Trade Federation guys non-English lines (via subtitles) to get rid of some of the shitty accents.

I didn't watch all of them, just bits and pieces. I had forgotten that the beginning of III really is pretty great.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It was fucking good. See it in 3D if you can. Don't want to get spoiler-y yet. I had my theories before, but they weren't totally accurate.

But that Leonard Nimoy cameo...whoa. Like seeing DJ AM in Iron Man. Just weird. /sarcasm
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ok, finished Phantom. After my wife scolded me to "just enjoy it or GTFO" I stopped criticizing everything and enjoyed it for what it was... A mediocre kids movie with some decent Jedi on Sith fight action.

Tickets purchased for Sunday at the fancy-schmancy theater. Very excited, given the positive press it is receiving so far.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Quick review: it was good, though not quite on the level of the best ones. If you liked the original trilogy but hated the prequels, you'll like it. If you aren't an avid SW fan, but like fun, fast-paced action movies, you'll like it.

I'll see about putting together a more in-depth take in the spoiler thread.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Quick review: it was good, though not quite on the level of the best ones. If you liked the original trilogy but hated the prequels, you'll like it. If you aren't an avid SW fan, but like fun, fast-paced action movies, you'll like it.
Can't disagree with any of that.
Johnny Carwash wrote:I'll see about putting together a more in-depth take in the spoiler thread.
Hop to it! I need someone to argue about it with!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

3:45 today! Then i can open that other thread!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.