Black Monday Starts at 8:00 pm Sunday!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Black Monday Starts at 8:00 pm Sunday!

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:14 pm
Reaper wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:06 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:29 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 pm So will the Cardinals be paying Kingsbury until after the 2027 season, or would there have been some provision that in case of dismissal the year after he's extended, there's a buy out?
Don't think it is public knowledge
https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-kl ... y-hc-fired
According to PFT, 2027 was an option year, so guaranteed through 2026. I feel like coaches usually have offset language though that if they get another head coaching job, college or pro, that there's usually some kind of buyout. Rhule went through some of that when Nebraska hired him last month so the Panthers got rid of some of the money on his ridiculous extension.
I think it's more of an offset than a buyout. Not that they can't negotiate a buyout, but that NFL contracts generally have offset clauses. Most NCAAFB contracts don't. All hail Jimmy Sexton.
Yeah, neither article got into it, but offset is generally standard for non-option years. Kings-buried will be making his full Cardinals salary wherever he works the next several years, unless someone else exceeds it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Houston requested permission to interview Ben Johnson (Lions OC) for their head coaching vacancy. If he's hired, it will be the first time in 50 years (Chuck Knox in 1973) that a Lions assistant was hired as a head coach of another NFL team.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DeMeco Ryans makes a lot of sense PR-wise.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm Houston requested permission to interview Ben Johnson (Lions OC) for their head coaching vacancy. If he's hired, it will be the first time in 50 years (Chuck Knox in 1973) that a Lions assistant was hired as a head coach of another NFL team.
Can't wait to see what minority candidate gives in and interviews in Houston to fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement. Demeco Ryans (Niners DC) already turned them down.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:34 pm
brian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm Houston requested permission to interview Ben Johnson (Lions OC) for their head coaching vacancy. If he's hired, it will be the first time in 50 years (Chuck Knox in 1973) that a Lions assistant was hired as a head coach of another NFL team.
Can't wait to see what minority candidate gives in and interviews in Houston to fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement. Demeco Ryans (Niners DC) already turned them down.
I haven't read that last part, only that they requested permission to talk to him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In fact the last two Lions assistant coaches hired as head coaches have a combined 540 NFL wins (186 for Chuck Knox and 354 for Don Shula, hired by Baltimore in 1962).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If any franchise could reverse that trend, it's the Texans!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I believe this was what someone re-tweeted into my timeline this morning, but I don't recall for certain (source has over 300K followers, but seems to be a repository of links, like a poor man's PFT - this one goes back to Aaron Wilson at KPRC 2 in Houston):

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:34 pmCan't wait to see what minority candidate gives in and interviews in Houston to fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement. Demeco Ryans (Niners DC) already turned them down.
Were there any black dudes on the same OL as Saturday?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:57 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:34 pmCan't wait to see what minority candidate gives in and interviews in Houston to fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement. Demeco Ryans (Niners DC) already turned them down.
Maybe they'll just go with in-house WR coach Reggie Wayne.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm
I know you weren't really looking for an answer, but Tarik Glenn.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And in additional Rooney Rule news Colts interviewing Lions DC Aaron Glenn.

(Glenn has done a fine job with a unit dereft of a lot of athleticism and might well produce better units with some more high picks and late round steals like Rodriguez and Houston but he’s not produced enough to get a head coaching job yet.

I’d honestly say the same for Johnson. Let’s see if he can do it for more than a year first. I’m really really high on him but Detroit’s OL and skill positions are a lot more talented than people realize and Goff showed he’s underrated but you’re still talking about a guy who took a team to a Super Bowl. He’s not great but he’s not a chump. If the Lions O is as effective next year, then sure. Snap up Johnson but he wouldn’t be the first guy who produces an outlier type season who then gets anointed the Next Big Thing.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Reaper wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:09 pm
Actually, I was coming up blank trying to think of their left tackle's name, remembering they had a very good longterm one blocking for Manning, so I figured going with the in-house option who at least fit the same side of the ball. I mean, he's got coaching experience.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:31 pm
Reaper wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:09 pm
Actually, I was coming up blank trying to think of their left tackle's name, remembering they had a very good longterm one blocking for Manning, so I figured going with the in-house option who at least fit the same side of the ball. I mean, he's got coaching experience.
Tarik Glenn ≠ Aaron Glenn
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I wonder how many coaches sign multi year contacts and then get schwacked without completing them leading to being paid handsomely for years after.

Is there a compiled list somewhere? It would be interesting.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:23 pm I wonder how many coaches sign multi year contacts and then get schwacked without completing them leading to being paid handsomely for years after.

Most right. Coaches (and agents) have been pretty aggressive about not having a lame duck year. Extensions happen if the coaches are going to stay.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:34 pm DeMeco Ryans makes a lot of sense PR-wise.
Or just hire Art Shell for another sacrificial season
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:27 pm And in additional Rooney Rule news Colts interviewing Lions DC Aaron Glenn.

(Glenn has done a fine job with a unit dereft of a lot of athleticism and might well produce better units with some more high picks and late round steals like Rodriguez and Houston but he’s not produced enough to get a head coaching job yet.

I’d honestly say the same for Johnson. Let’s see if he can do it for more than a year first. I’m really really high on him but Detroit’s OL and skill positions are a lot more talented than people realize and Goff showed he’s underrated but you’re still talking about a guy who took a team to a Super Bowl. He’s not great but he’s not a chump. If the Lions O is as effective next year, then sure. Snap up Johnson but he wouldn’t be the first guy who produces an outlier type season who then gets anointed the Next Big Thing.
Goff is a good litmus test for an OC because he's actually pretty good if everything is schemed well and working properly. If not he's absolutely awful.

He's like boss-mode Andy Dalton.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:23 pm I wonder how many coaches sign multi year contacts and then get schwacked without completing them leading to being paid handsomely for years after.

Didn't charlie weis get paid for like 10 more years when he left Kansas? I don't think he even took another job, or if so, Kansas was still on the hook for a bunch. Seems like most coaches would prefer a lump sum payment but I'm sure the schools, doing the payment, don't, so the coaches SUFFER through on just 5 mil a year for 8 years instead of 25 to settle out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:42 am
Giff wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:34 pm DeMeco Ryans makes a lot of sense PR-wise.
Or just hire Art Shell for another sacrificial season
That is certainly a more plausible outcome.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Looks like Brandon Staley is going to survive Saturday's collapse, but he let go of QB Coach Shane Day and OC Vince Lombardi's grandson.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That seemed like the perfect landing spot for Payton.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:57 pm That seemed like the perfect landing spot for Payton.
I think that the thinking is the owner is too cheap to pay 2 head coaches. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Reaper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:55 pm Looks like Brandon Staley is going to survive Saturday's collapse, but he let go of QB Coach Shane Day and OC Vince Lombardi's grandson.
Just a thought, but if the OC is fucking up by not running the ball and/or not telling the QB to run the clock down between plays, then couldn't the Head Coach contribute to the play-calling conversation?
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Huh. And what this COULD signal is the Jets are trying for Rodgers...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:08 am Huh. And what this COULD signal is the Jets are trying for Rodgers...
But, but, Jimmy G.

Sorry, I just feel that so many people treating Garoppolo to the Jets as an obvious move has never made any sense to me. I would think Saleh would know his shortcomings more than anyone else, making them less likely to bring him in.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:08 am Huh. And what this COULD signal is the Jets are trying for Rodgers...

This reminds me of a story I once read about some horrible, untalented woman who lucked into a job writing for the Letterman show. She was quickly fired but kept on getting good jobs (and failing repeatedly) thereafter, because she always had that great job on her résumé.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Hackett's dad, Paul, spent 23 years coaching the NFL in various capacities on the offensive side of the ball. There's zero surprise he's going to land on his feet.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Could also be someone like McDaniels whose peak competency appears to be as a coordinator.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Two more OCs gone, with Greg Roman "resigning" from the Ravens and Byron Leftwich getting fired by Brady -- um, I mean, the Bucs.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Two more DCs gone, with Brian Flores holdover Josh Boyer being let go by the Phins and Ed Donatell getting fired by the Vikings after just one year under first-year coach Kevin O'Connell.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:00 pm Two more DCs gone, with Brian Flores holdover Josh Boyer being let go by the Phins and Ed Donatell getting fired by the Vikings after just one year under first-year coach Kevin O'Connell.
Miami’s offense looked good until Tua’s brains got scrambled.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian