Abortion Rights

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Abortion Rights

Post by Jerloma »

Ever notice how nobody talks about how they're all fucking Catholic. Like, it's so easy to call this an evangelical problem but look at those judges. They all think bread can turn into flesh. Even the fucking president that's going to sit idly by and let it happen and tell us we have to vote harder even though we already gave them all the power supports that fucking cesspool they call a church. Nobody says a word about it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So Congress can do its job urgently. Interesting.

It's a big club. And you ain't in it!

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:04 pm Ever notice how nobody talks about how they're all fucking Catholic. Like, it's so easy to call this an evangelical problem but look at those judges. They all think bread can turn into flesh. Even the fucking president that's going to sit idly by and let it happen and tell us we have to vote harder even though we already gave them all the power supports that fucking cesspool they call a church. Nobody says a word about it.
I feel your frustration, and I’m not a fan of Biden, but what can he do about this? And while I have a lot of issues with the Dems, until they get rid of the Filibuster, you need 60 in the Senate to truly have a majority. The GOP gum up the works and refuse to vote in even bipartisan issues that are wildly popular, so they can blame the Dems for failing to get anything done when they control the both houses and the White House. Supposedly they are putting up a Bill prohibiting states from banning abortions, but there is no way they can get 60 votes in the Senate, so it’s going nowhere. I think it’s dumb to put it forward, as people will freak out that the Dems have both houses and can’t pass it. I think the strategy in going forward is to force every GOP member to vote against it or vote against voting on the Bill to run against the GOP on this issue in November. I think it hurts the Dems, which means they’ll do it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Presidents can keep saying shit over and over again and get people to feel strongly about it. I've seen it.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That sounds like a lot of work.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:52 am Presidents can keep saying shit over and over again and get people to feel strongly about it. I've seen it.
People already feel strong about the right to an abortion. Only 9 people’s opinion matter right now, and Biden ain’t swaying any of them. And public opinion and protests aren’t going to mean shit to them either.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not about turning the SCOTUS, its about making anything but full support an untenable position for any centrist/obstructionist Democrat or "reasonable" Republican to take. Write the fucking narrative for once and endlessly attack every Senator in every blue or purple state for the next half a year. If you think the mid-terms are lost, and everyone should at this point, why not turn them into a referendum on an issue that polls at like 70%? An aggressive loss that looks like you give the slightest fuck is preferable to being the party that focuses on making sure SCOTUS judges have nice, quiet streets after a long day of regressive policy action.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gunna be real hilarious* when Republicans nuke the filibuster in order to pass regressive legislation AND puts at least 2 more Supremes on the court during Trump's next administration.

*not hilarious.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

f these ppl so hard
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 am
Jerloma wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:04 pm Ever notice how nobody talks about how they're all fucking Catholic. Like, it's so easy to call this an evangelical problem but look at those judges. They all think bread can turn into flesh. Even the fucking president that's going to sit idly by and let it happen and tell us we have to vote harder even though we already gave them all the power supports that fucking cesspool they call a church. Nobody says a word about it.
I feel your frustration, and I’m not a fan of Biden, but what can he do about this? And while I have a lot of issues with the Dems, until they get rid of the Filibuster, you need 60 in the Senate to truly have a majority. The GOP gum up the works and refuse to vote in even bipartisan issues that are wildly popular, so they can blame the Dems for failing to get anything done when they control the both houses and the White House. Supposedly they are putting up a Bill prohibiting states from banning abortions, but there is no way they can get 60 votes in the Senate, so it’s going nowhere. I think it’s dumb to put it forward, as people will freak out that the Dems have both houses and can’t pass it. I think the strategy in going forward is to force every GOP member to vote against it or vote against voting on the Bill to run against the GOP on this issue in November. I think it hurts the Dems, which means they’ll do it.
I think you just answered your own question.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Did the Republicans have 60 when they passed Dickhead's tax bill? If they didn't...do that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Problem with getting rid of the filibuster is the two fuckwits Manchin and Sinema. If only Cal Cunningham didn’t get caught sexting a woman that wasn’t his wife…
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Then make fucking Manchin and Sinema pay a social penalty and a political price. He's the god damned leader of the free world...call these mother fuckers out on their corruption. He won't though, because he's in the same pockets as they are. Manchin as a Democrat should be the easiest person to just destroy politically...never going to happen.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So yeah, I guess what "I want him to do" is to just try not being corrupt as they are, which is a REAAAAALLLLY fucking low bar.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I mean, look at this fucking idiot...

Tweeted!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:04 pm Then make fucking Manchin and Sinema pay a social penalty and a political price. He's the god damned leader of the free world...call these mother fuckers out on their corruption. He won't though, because he's in the same pockets as they are. Manchin as a Democrat should be the easiest person to just destroy politically...never going to happen.
Like I’ve said several times, if they push Manchin or Sinema, they’ll caucus with the Republicans and the Dems lose the Chair position on every committee and the GOP sets the agenda and controls everything. While it sucks Manchin votes more like a Repub and Sinema is just off her fucking rocker, having them flip parties, even if they vote the same, makes a huge difference. If the Dems had one or two more in the Senate, they could bully these two, but they don’t.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Then you support a progressive challenger and knock them out in the primary. Every single time you have a progressive challenge against one of these conservative Dems that can't win the popularity challenge or the idea challenge, Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton and their ilk rise the fuck up to maintain the status quo while nothing gets done except for regression. They did it to Bernie, they're doing it to Nena, and they'll do it to anyone who gives a flying fuck about progress.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:01 pm Then you support a progressive challenger and knock them out in the primary. Every single time you have a progressive challenge against one of these conservative Dems that can't win the popularity challenge or the idea challenge, Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton and their ilk rise the fuck up to maintain the status quo while nothing gets done except for regression. They did it to Bernie, they're doing it to Nena, and they'll do it to anyone who gives a flying fuck about progress.
Absolutely agree with this strategy in Arizona. Good luck putting up a Progressive Dem against a Republican in West Virginia.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:04 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:01 pm Then you support a progressive challenger and knock them out in the primary. Every single time you have a progressive challenge against one of these conservative Dems that can't win the popularity challenge or the idea challenge, Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton and their ilk rise the fuck up to maintain the status quo while nothing gets done except for regression. They did it to Bernie, they're doing it to Nena, and they'll do it to anyone who gives a flying fuck about progress.
Absolutely agree with this strategy in Arizona. Good luck putting up a Progressive Dem against a Republican in West Virginia.
The house too but Manchin doesn't vote with his constituents. They want unions, affordable health care and education in WV. Like 70% of them I think anyway. Get the fucking $$$ out of politics and start letting ideas win again. Or just be unethical dicks that don't give a fuck about the constitution like the Republicans but FFS...you don't get to control 2 out of 3 branches and complain about theocracy when it comes.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Actually yes...that's what we need to do. Pass a bi-partisan bill that make legalized bribery illegal. Nobody would be opposed to calling bribery what it is, right? I mean, that's an objectively immoral thing, right? Put that shit up for a vote and expose the shit out of every congressperson that votes against it. It's time for shame to start being a thing again.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:27 pm Did the Republicans have 60 when they passed Dickhead's tax bill? If they didn't...do that.
No, the Tax Cut and Jobs Act (to which I assume you're referring) was passed as a reconciliation bill needing only a simple majority. It passed 51-48. All Democrats in the Senate voted against it.

It would take all 50 Democrats plus the VP tiebreaker to kill the filibuster. Manchin and Sinema are against it. There was some support behind bringing the talking filibuster back, but clearly Democrats don't want to force Republicans to talk for hours and hours even though that could get things moving.
Manchin had a progressive challenger in 2018. Paula Jean Swearingin. He beat her handily in the primary 69.8% to 30.2%. He'd have to be challenged again in 2024. And he indicates he's running. But WV is very red, so his seat will flip eventually.

Sinema is probably going to go down in flames in her 2024 primary. House Rep Ruben Gallego of AZ's 7th Congressional District (Phoenix area, but going to change radically in 2023 to encompass all of southern AZ, including Tucson), former Marine, and consummate bad ass is projected to challenge her. She's completely fucking hated across the state.

My wish is that Democrats could treat them the way the GOP is treating Cawthorn. There's plenty there, I'm sure, but establishment Democrats would rather pretend to wield power when they have it and then lose to a Republican later so they can campaign on change during the next cycle.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Not sure what you expected the Republican with a D next to his name to say. But I do know it's silly to be upset about it!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oooo I'm madder than that time the Penguins coach denied Crosby slewfooted Callahan maybe not quite as mad but its close!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The first statement was just stupid. How was he planning on codifying the right to an abortion? A lot of Biden's campaign promises were things that could only happen through legislation. After 8 years of Obama's presidency, is anyone dumb enough to think the Republicans will do anything other than obstruct a Dem President? They will do whatever they can to hurt the country to make Biden look bad, but to expect them to vote against their Party line on the biggest single-issue voter issue?
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:21 pm The first statement was just stupid. How was he planning on codifying the right to an abortion? A lot of Biden's campaign promises were things that could only happen through legislation. After 8 years of Obama's presidency, is anyone dumb enough to think the Republicans will do anything other than obstruct a Dem President? They will do whatever they can to hurt the country to make Biden look bad, but to expect them to vote against their Party line on the biggest single-issue voter issue?
He was speaking to morons who might consider voting Trump, or you know, sitting out.

Democrats are the fucking worst at winning anything. Ever.

All time.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Didn't have to click play to know she's the type I agree with in principle and yet would never want to speak to.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:59 am Didn't have to click play to know she's the type I agree with in principle and yet would never want to speak to.
Oh, for sure. The insulated city liberal who's only ever known what's in her bubble, IS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING, and would probably be the loudest, NIMBY-est voice during her city's council meeting.

In other news, always right all the time guy, Kyle Kulinski posted this:

The interview with Barbara Lee he touches on is the telling thing here.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Figure this is as good a spot as any to discuss how much the GOP cares about babies:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sounds like a talking point. Do you know what the legislation is?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 am Sounds like a talking point. Do you know what the legislation is?
HR 7790
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So the basic idea is the first bill okayed $28MM to hire more inspectors to review imported formula. You know, how tainted formula at Abbot was the tipping point of this crisis, and increasing importation pallets of formula without them being inspected could be a problem.

And reject the argument about the cost. $28 million to the Federal government is change they find in the couch cushions.

The bigger one is that there was a bill that allowed WIC recipients (i.e. mothers who need financial assistance to feed their kids) to buy formula from more than the three domestic suppliers. 9 people in Congress voted against that. Anybody want to make guesses on who voted no?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.