Gay Marriage

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Jerloma »

I got this email from World Vision today. They're not gonna like my prayer request...
Send us your prayer requests and praises today.

Dear Kyle,

At World Vision, we believe prayer changes things. So every year, we set aside a special day of prayer to thank God for His blessings and ask for His guidance for the future. On October 1st, our staff and supporters around the world will gather to pray for the children and families we serve, as well as for our caring friends like you who make this work possible.

How can we pray for you? We appreciate all that you're doing for children around the world, and it would be an honor to lift up your prayers and praises — for yourself, your family, your community, or anything else that may be on your heart.

Please send us your prayer requests and praises today. And thank you once again for your generous gifts and your ongoing prayers for Coumba and her community.

May God bless you,

Rich Stearns
President, World Vision U.S.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:The Seventh Circuit also ruled today that gay marriage bans are unconstitutional.

The case was only argued last Tuesday. That is amazingly fast for an appellate court.
I am very curious to read this opinion. Do you know if Posner wrote it? He is fantastic, arguably the greatest legal mind out there. A Reagan appointee, he used to be considered very Conservative, but he hates the GOP more than I do as he used to be in line with the GOP. Anywho, from what I read last week, the LGBT community got a huge break in this case, as the 3 judges appointed were the 3 most sympathetic judges to their cause. The 7th has some very Conservative judges, so assignment was critical to the outcome.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:The Seventh Circuit also ruled today that gay marriage bans are unconstitutional.

The case was only argued last Tuesday. That is amazingly fast for an appellate court.
I am very curious to read this opinion. Do you know if Posner wrote it? He is fantastic, arguably the greatest legal mind out there. A Reagan appointee, he used to be considered very Conservative, but he hates the GOP more than I do as he used to be in line with the GOP. Anywho, from what I read last week, the LGBT community got a huge break in this case, as the 3 judges appointed were the 3 most sympathetic judges to their cause. The 7th has some very Conservative judges, so assignment was critical to the outcome.
Look at you, all up on the appellate court judges, LAW SCHOOL BROWN NOSER!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Look at you, all up on the appellate court judges, LAW SCHOOL BROWN NOSER!
Somewhere out there is a picture of Ninth Circuit Judge Kozinski with a bunch of my law school friends, at a Halloween party at our house, with me flipping off the camera. That is my brush with Jurisprudential fame.

I think Posner wrote the opinion but I'm not sure. I tried to log onto TPM to get the link, but there was so much crap on the front page that I gave up waiting for it to load.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Posner clips from the hearing. Man, is he abusing the attorney representing Wisconsin. I feel bad for the guy. Basically, he has no response, and Posner doesn't let him even begin his feeble attempts to argue the harm to society of allowing gay marriage. I would guess the attorney personally believes in allowing gay marriage, because his heart certainly isn't in it. Best moment is while Posner is reaming him out, the attorney cuts him off to point out that the yellow light is flashing, indicating the State's time is running out. Another Judge tells him that the yellow light won't save him. Court room laughs, Posner continues reaming.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Holy shit, his tone is amazing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:Posner clips from the hearing. Man, is he abusing the attorney representing Wisconsin. I feel bad for the guy. Basically, he has no response, and Posner doesn't let him even begin his feeble attempts to argue the harm to society of allowing gay marriage. I would guess the attorney personally believes in allowing gay marriage, because his heart certainly isn't in it. Best moment is while Posner is reaming him out, the attorney cuts him off to point out that the yellow light is flashing, indicating the State's time is running out. Another Judge tells him that the yellow light won't save him. Court room laughs, Posner continues reaming.
This guy is great. Why can't we get SCOTUS judges like this?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Posner clips from the hearing. Man, is he abusing the attorney representing Wisconsin. I feel bad for the guy. Basically, he has no response, and Posner doesn't let him even begin his feeble attempts to argue the harm to society of allowing gay marriage. I would guess the attorney personally believes in allowing gay marriage, because his heart certainly isn't in it. Best moment is while Posner is reaming him out, the attorney cuts him off to point out that the yellow light is flashing, indicating the State's time is running out. Another Judge tells him that the yellow light won't save him. Court room laughs, Posner continues reaming.
This guy is great. Why can't we get SCOTUS judges like this?
We do. Scalia. But he works in reverse. On social issues, logic and reason take a backseat to ideology and what would a Pope from the Middle Ages do?
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

This is fucking fantastic.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
This is fucking fantastic.
Without "the Bible says..." there really is no argument, and for obvious reasons, the attorney can't make that argument. I really feel bad for the guy, as he is tasked with defending the laws written by his state's legislature, regardless of how Unconstitutional it is. The real problem is that way too many state Congressmen fail to see the problem with legislating their interpretation of the Bible.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I got a mad hot take on that. May need to save it for Rants thread.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A couple weeks ago, 538 posted this.

A couple weeks later it is already outdated because Arizona and Alaska are the latest to fall.

Also, this is funny:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

This sets up a Supreme Court showdown in the near future as it goes against so many other recent rulings:
A federal appeals court on Thursday brought to an end the extraordinary winning streak enjoyed by same-sex marriage advocates, ruling 2-1 in favor of four states letting voters decide whether to keep their gay-marriage bans intact.

Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Tennessee had each argued before the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals panel Aug. 6 that their bans should stand unless voters decide to nix them. Thursday's written ruling marked the first loss for marriage-equality advocates since the U.S. Supreme Court last June struck down part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

Judges Jeffrey S. Sutton and Deborah L. Cook, both of whom were appointed by President George W. Bush, were the deciding votes on the matter. Sutton, who wrote the opinion, implied that same-sex marriage ultimately should be legal, but that voters should be given the chance to reverse their states' bans.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bensell wrote:This sets up a Supreme Court showdown in the near future as it goes against so many other recent rulings:
A federal appeals court on Thursday brought to an end the extraordinary winning streak enjoyed by same-sex marriage advocates, ruling 2-1 in favor of four states letting voters decide whether to keep their gay-marriage bans intact.

Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Tennessee had each argued before the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals panel Aug. 6 that their bans should stand unless voters decide to nix them. Thursday's written ruling marked the first loss for marriage-equality advocates since the U.S. Supreme Court last June struck down part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

Judges Jeffrey S. Sutton and Deborah L. Cook, both of whom were appointed by President George W. Bush, were the deciding votes on the matter. Sutton, who wrote the opinion, implied that same-sex marriage ultimately should be legal, but that voters should be given the chance to reverse their states' bans.
If this goes to a referendum, there will need to be some court rulings on what constitutes hate speech, as there will be TV ads that will portray Gays as being the worst kind of depraved maniacs.

Oh man...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

In a state where same-sex marriage is legal and capital punishment is not, some guy is trying to get this on the ballot for the next election...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This is how I learned what that word meant. (Same album as Basketball Jones.)

Does this stuff hold up? (Aside from the homophobia.) Cause I laugh just as hard as I did when this came out and I was 16yo.

"You already did, that's why you're in trouble now!"

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The governor of Kentucky thinks that the gay marriage ban isn't discriminatory because straight people can't get gay married either.
"Kentucky’s marriage laws treat homosexuals and heterosexuals the same and are facially neutral. Men and women, whether heterosexual or homosexual, are free to marry persons of the opposite sex under Kentucky law, and men and women, whether heterosexual or homosexual, cannot marry persons of the same sex under Kentucky law," the Democratic governor said in a brief filed with the Supreme Court on March 27.
Yup.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're free to worship in whatever religious building you want, as long as you worship Jesus.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This is a fascinating debate on gay marriage from 1974. A sort of mock trial show on PBS. I am probably naive here, but I am surprised that a debate about legalizing gay marriages was broadcast on TV (even if it was PBS) 40 years ago. If you watch nothing else, the witnesses opposed to gay marriage are fantastic. A sociology professor at the 33 minute mark uses logic so flawed it hurts. His ultimate argument is that allowing gay marriage is a threat to the propagation of the human race, as people may flock to homosexuality if gay marriage was legally recognized. The cross examination ridiculed him, and his dead serious and fearful reply was, "but what if I'm right?" As unbelievably preposterous as it is to believe everyone would instantly turn gay, if this happened, wouldn't people fuck the opposite sex once in a while to make babies? Is there any conceivable way a person can believe everyone would instantly marry same gendered spouses without that person being gay and in denial?

The lawyer advocating against gay marriage is cringeworthy. He asked the Lesbian activist if a same sex marriage would declare a consistent "head of household" that remained constant, like a hetero marriage. She ripped him for being outdated and the audience laughed at him, and he clearly had no clue his comment was fucked up.

The ultimate is Dr. Charles Socarides, who I didn't know much about. I am now fascinated with reading about this guy. He was a psychiatrist who dedicated his career to curing homosexuality. His first point in the debate is that "the homosexual is the product of very, very bad child rearing." Before hearing this comment, I saw that his son is gay, and was appointed by Clinton to advise on gay rights issues. The Doctor formed some society for Gay Conversion Therapy, and in a 1995 profile, the NY Times said "Socarides offered the closest thing to hope that many gay people had in the 1960s: the prospect of a cure." I guess when all of the laughable arguments like these fell away, religion filled the void.

-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I love shit like that. Unfortunately, we haven't come too far. Here's Marco Rubio saying something stupid.

We are at the water’s edge of the argument that mainstream Christian teaching is hate speech because today we’ve reached the point in our society where if you do not support same-sex marriage, you are labeled a homophobe and a hater. So what’s the next step after that? After they’re done going after individuals, the next step is to argue that the teachings of mainstream Christianity, the catechism of the Catholic Church, is hate speech. That’s a real and present danger.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Legal nationwide.

5-4 decision by the SCOTUS. No link yet but it's on your TV right now, I'm sure.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is a fun few days for the SC.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Who is excited for some Scallia dissent?!?!? Just me??

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:Legal nationwide.

5-4 decision by the SCOTUS. No link yet but it's on your TV right now, I'm sure.
Between the Rebel Flag stuff, the Obamacare decision, and now this the streets will flow with the sweet, sweet tears of Religious Conservatives everywhere...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

SC confirms barn door is indeed not only open, but has been smashed, and it would be fucking retarded for us to try and pretend we can close it.

Maybe we're not totally fucked after all.

(nah, we are. but this is pretty great news regardless of tardiness. Let me go out and find a lesbian to kiss.)

Two minutes of CNN and I can take no more. Maybe freep will be good for a laugh.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

On the radio a couple months ago, I heard Jerry Springer say something like, "history has shown that, in the end, the liberal point of view usually wins"

In other words, suck it backwards losers. Some nice examples lately, for sure.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I suppose it's been a roller coaster kind of week for Confederate Fags?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote:On the radio a couple months ago, I heard Jerry Springer say something like, "history has shown that, in the end, the liberal point of view usually wins"
... and the next generation of conservatives retroactively claims it wasn't a liberal POV, but something totally obvious.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote:Who is excited for some Scallia dissent?!?!? Just me??
So frothing. They may need to put guards on the majority when in chambers.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ryan wrote:On the radio a couple months ago, I heard Jerry Springer say something like, "history has shown that, in the end, the liberal point of view usually wins"
You know, this has been my bias. But it has been sorely tested in recent decades. I mistakenly expected a relatively straight line, relative at least to my lifespan. This is a very interesting assertion, if true, the ups and downs can be a bitch.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This would be a pretty amazing day for facebook stats. Unfriends, usages of certain words and pics, all that.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The sad undertone that is being missed right now is that 4 out of 9 people on that court would still rather deny a human the right to happiness based on the fact that they think 2 boys or 2 girls fucking is icky.

...just focus on the positives BSF....focus on the positives....

teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Score one for the lawyers.

Gay marriages mean eventual gay divorces.
oh shit...
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

why would anyone marry a woman now? (did i type that out loud?)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

BSF21 wrote:The sad undertone that is being missed right now is that 4 out of 9 people on that court would still rather deny a human the right to happiness based on the fact that they think 2 boys or 2 girls fucking is icky.

Just think of it as a 56-44 popular vote landslide

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From Dr Jill Biden's twitter account just now:
oe is running through the halls with a rainbow flagged tied on like a cape high fiving everyone.
Pictures, dammit! I need to see a picture of that!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Pride parades/events this weekend are going to be Fabulous!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote:
BSF21 wrote:The sad undertone that is being missed right now is that 4 out of 9 people on that court would still rather deny a human the right to happiness based on the fact that they think 2 boys or 2 girls fucking is icky.

Just think of it as a 56-44 popular vote landslide
That's even worse that 44 out of 100 would seek to deny people. I think I'll stick with thinking that 4 bitter old men can't come to grips with the fact that it's not 1950 anymore.