US of A v. Portugal

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: US of A v. Portugal

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: It was the same thing in 2010. The point is the same. We're not capable of playing any other way. That's not some patriotic, macho posturing. We just don't have the experience necessary to do it well.
One of these days I will make the pilgrimage to Honduras and visit the 50 foot Jonathan Bornstein statute in the main square of Tegucigalpa. I read an article from the WSJ, I believe, making the point that the US hurts itself by not having a diving mentality. It isn't a part of sports in the US for the most part, and it his highly derided when it happens. US soccer players just don't lay on the grass like a bitch, except for Deuce at times, but he really does take a beating in most games.

I watched the buildup to the final goal, and I have to say, Bradley is getting killed a lot more than he should be. He was given a very difficult ball
to control, and merely turned after controlling the ball. In real time, I thought he tried to get fancy in a bad spot. Someone has to tell him there is pressure on his back, and he had 3 easy back passes to choose from. Maybe they did tell him, who knows. I thought Bradley had a good game, and I am sick of Facebook posts from people who have watched a total of 2 soccer games in their lives scapegoating Bradley.

As for the wink, wink tie, I don't know if Jurgen is the man to discuss that. He seems like too much of a competitor. Not to mention, Joachim Low and Klinsy supposedly hate each other, right?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
eerrx
Jackie Treehorn

Post by eerrx »

Absolutely gutted by the game, but I was incredibly impressed by the game plan. Should have had a 2-0 win. Brilliant tactics of attacking the spaces vacated by Ronaldo.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That game was like winning the lottery and then having a piano dropped on you as you left the lottery office with the giant check...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote: It was the same thing in 2010. The point is the same. We're not capable of playing any other way. That's not some patriotic, macho posturing. We just don't have the experience necessary to do it well.
One of these days I will make the pilgrimage to Honduras and visit the 50 foot Jonathan Bornstein statute in the main square of Tegucigalpa. I read an article from the WSJ, I believe, making the point that the US hurts itself by not having a diving mentality. It isn't a part of sports in the US for the most part, and it his highly derided when it happens. US soccer players just don't lay on the grass like a bitch, except for Deuce at times, but he really does take a beating in most games.

I watched the buildup to the final goal, and I have to say, Bradley is getting killed a lot more than he should be. He was given a very difficult ball
to control, and merely turned after controlling the ball. In real time, I thought he tried to get fancy in a bad spot. Someone has to tell him there is pressure on his back, and he had 3 easy back passes to choose from. Maybe they did tell him, who knows. I thought Bradley had a good game, and I am sick of Facebook posts from people who have watched a total of 2 soccer games in their lives scapegoating Bradley.

As for the wink, wink tie, I don't know if Jurgen is the man to discuss that. He seems like too much of a competitor. Not to mention, Joachim Low and Klinsy supposedly hate each other, right?

Yeah..the party I was at, with some semi-knowledgable soccer watchers, were kind of all over Bradley. I just said "You know....Ronaldo is one of the best two players in the world...and the other team is trying too".