Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:The verse is vile because it's based on the blood sacrifice of a child.
They had to one-up the jews
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Christian Twitter responses to Cosmos...

Wow, and they believing in God is insane? Takes more "faith" to believe what I just watched. #Cosmos

— Tirrell Cotton (@tirrellcotton) March 10, 2014
Our entire universe exist because our father Jehovah God and his wonderful son CHRIST Jesus Created it for us to enjoy. #Cosmos

— Judy M (@jdthmrgn6060) March 10, 2014

#Cosmos i can answer where life came from. God Next question.

— Chad Corbett (@ChadCorb) March 10, 2014

Apparently #cosmos can just lie on TV. The moon was actually created by God. As was life. So yeah we do know where life came from.

— Matt Albert (@MattAlbert3) March 10, 2014

Dear #cosmos, the origin of the universe actually is not mysterious. God had Moses write about it in the #Bible. You should read it sometime

— Andy Forister (@andyforister) March 10, 2014

Cosmos got me excited thinking about a God who made something so big who loved something so little that he gave his son to save us. #bygrace

— Matt Schuler (@mattschuler) March 10, 2014
Thank you @neiltyson and #cosmos for showing how God created us. Everything you said was in line with the Bible. Can't wait for next week.

— Mark Thelen (@Thelen_Mark) March 10, 2014
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Greg Candelaria is really, really important.

“The very grace of God and nothing more. It wasn’t a coincidence — it was by design.”
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Evangelical "Dead Raising Teams" want access to more corpses to practice. Some team in the US offers to help grieving families by providing emotional support and "resurrection prayers." They claim to have resurrected 11 corpses. One example is a team member who is a heart surgeon. He resurrected a dead person with prayer. And a defibrillator. So are they admitting that Jesus requires a defibrillator? What about the people resuscitated by defibrillators without prayer? Still god, I'd bet.

And they have a website. Of course the website has a donate button. J-Lo, how much you giving?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That's not creepy at all. They couldn't come up with a better name than "Dead Raising Teams"?

Princes of Resurrection?

Jesus' Homeboys?

Dead Raising Tapeworms?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Holy shit...this is awesome.

[media]http://v.theonion.com/onionmedia/videos ... en_mp4.mp4[/media]
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Well, I hate to abandon you guys, but like Saul on the Damascus road, I'm going to have to go ahead and turn in my A-badge. J Lee Grady has just shown me the light.
7 Things That Prove God Is Real

1. Babies. I watched my wife give birth to our four daughters, and last month I visited my new grandson. I’ve stared at little Hananiah’s cute face and tiny fingers—and the cleft in his chin that resembles mine. How can anyone deny the reality of God when they see a baby? The amount of information encrypted in one cell in the human body is equal to that of 1,000 books. The total amount of information stored in your DNA is 40 times more than that of the largest set of encyclopedias in the world. King David felt this sense of awe when he wrote, “You wove me in my mother’s womb. ... I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (Ps. 139:13, 14, NASB). Life is truly a miracle!

2. Thunderstorms. I love to sit on my back porch in Florida and listen to the rumbling of thunder. It reminds me of God’s majesty and power. The apostle Paul said creation was the best evidence of God’s existence. He wrote, “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen” (Rom. 1:20). Nature is actually full of quantifiable miracles. Just consider the fact that the earth is the perfect distance from the sun to support life. If we were any farther away from the sun, we would freeze; if we were even slightly closer to it, we would burn up. It’s obvious God created this home for us!

3. Flowers. There are more than 400,000 species of flowers in the world, and most of them are not edible. Their job is to simply make the world beautiful. Did they just haphazardly evolve over time, or did a loving God create each individual shape and color scheme for our enjoyment? People who choose to deny God don’t spend enough time looking at tulips, snapdragons, orchids, lilies, lotuses or magnolias. This is why it’s really important to stop and smell the roses!

4. The Bible. Paul wrote that “all Scripture is inspired by God” (2 Tim. 3:16). The Bible itself is proof of God’s existence because He used 40 unrelated people over a period of 2,000 years to write His unique love letter to us. There is nothing like the Bible because it carries the same consistent message throughout all of its 66 different books. Atheists can laugh at this idea, but those who have read the Scriptures and experienced God through its pages know why it is the best-selling and most-translated book in all of history. (Fact: 100 million copies of the Bible are sold every year. Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion has sold 2 million.)

5. The global spread of Christianity. Over the centuries, the gospel message has been vilified and ridiculed. Roman rulers threw first-century Christians to the lions, and 20th-century dictators sent believers to prison camps. It is estimated that 70 million Christians have been martyred since the church began—and 40 million of those were in the 20th century. Yet today Christianity has more adherents than any religion, and numbers are growing in many parts of the world. Our faith is spreading because it is the truth—and history shows that when this truth is mocked and scorned, it actually spreads faster!

6. Jesus. The most amazing thing about God is not that He exists, but that He loved us so much He was willing to send His Son to earth to save us from ourselves. Jesus was with the Father from the time of creation, and His arrival was predicted numerous times in Old Testament prophecy. Finally He interrupted history and came to live among us. His crucifixion is historical fact, and His resurrection was verified by hundreds of witnesses. The man who perhaps knew Jesus best—the apostle John—saw the risen Christ and touched His nail-pierced hands. He wrote, “What we have seen and heard we proclaim to you” (1 John 1:3). Jesus is not an illusive fairy tale. He is the living, breathing, touchable Son of God.

7. My personal friendship with God. Atheists may not be convinced that God exists after listening to a storm, smelling a hibiscus or reading the Bible. When I am asked to defend my faith, I don’t start an intellectual argument. I have to go back to the words of Paul in 2 Timothy 1:12: “I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed.”

There are many reasons I am convinced God is real (the existence of coffee alone proves that He loves me!), but the best evidence is how He forgave me, changed me and put unexplainable joy in my heart. And I can prove that.
Check and Mate.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gonorrhea has spread around the world, too.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Florida!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:Gonorrhea has spread around the world, too.
So has Islam.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Gonorrhea has spread around the world, too.
So has Islam.

Allah is the same God as the Christian God, so that doubles down his proof.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Islam! The gonorrhea of religions!

Add a snazzy font and put that on a shirt. Profit.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

3. Flowers. There are more than 400,000 species of flowers in the world, and most of them are not edible. Their job is to simply make the world beautiful. Did they just haphazardly evolve over time, or did a loving God create each individual shape and color scheme for our enjoyment?

Awesome.
People who choose to deny God don’t spend enough time looking at tulips, snapdragons, orchids, lilies, lotuses or magnolias
Like those damn scientists. They never observe nature.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I was hoping #7 was the clitoris and an ode thereto.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sarah Palin is upset that some pro-choice women are wearing "symbols of death" around their necks:

Wait for it...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

But HE died for our sins!
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Creationists demand equal time to Creationism on Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos series. If this happened, we'd be seeing another picture of J-Lo's TV after being hit with a porcelain animal. Tyson had a good response about also giving the Flat Earthers equal time after having NASA discuss the Earth's spherical shape. I'm sure the Answers in Genesis people would also argue that fair time should be given to the Hindu creation myth, and the Iroquois creation myth, where the Skymother fell to the Earth (which is the shell of a turtle swimming in the cosmic water below), and her daughter gave birth to a good and evil son, the evil one came out her armpit, killing her. The Skymother then sent her dead daughter into the sky, where she became the moon and corn, beans and squash grew out of her body. While we are at it, Cosmos should also give equal time to Zeus and the Zoroastrian creation myth, along with a couple thousand others. Sounds reasonable, right? But I guess the other creation myths are ridiculous, because theirs is clearly the only correct one. I think all televangelist shows should give equal time to Islam and Atheistic beliefs. I'd like to hear Pat Robertson and Joel Osteen spend 30 minutes disproving the existence of God and Jesus as Savior each week, just to present "both views."

*As a side note, learning about the Iroquois creation myth in 7th grade and listening to the rest of the class laugh I had an epiphany that immediately dispelled my loosely held belief in God. As I heard the laughter and thought about the story of Genesis, I realized that the Judeo-Christian belief wasn't any less ridiculous. The only difference is that most of the class was taught the J-C story from such a young age and from people held as authorities, we accepted it as truth as we were too young to think critically. I realized that if the class had never heard the story of Genesis and first heard it that day, they would have been laughing.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, watching the creationist meltdown every week in reaction to the last episode of Cosmos is one of the highlights of my week. The first week it was the Bruno thing, last week it was because when NDT said "Evolution really happened," he emphasized the word "really." Haven't seen last night's yet but I'm sure Haley's comet will somehow offend them as well.
As I heard the laughter and thought about the story of Genesis, I realized that the Judeo-Christian belief wasn't any less ridiculous.
That's impressive...you accomplished as a 12 year old what half of the adults in this country still can't get to.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A 900 year old man and his family manages to build a boat and get two of every species of living thing on the boat where they live for 40 days and then manage to incestuously populate the entire planet again in like a thousand years, but Glenn Beck has an issue with the rock people?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:A 900 year old man and his family manages to build a boat and get two of every species of living thing on the boat where they live for 40 days and then manage to incestuously populate the entire planet again in like a thousand years, but Glenn Beck has an issue with the rock people?
That is great. The comments section on the article are well worth the read. Actually intentionally funny, unlike my estimation of The Blaze comments. I am trying to stop myself from going there, other wise I'm going to feel like blowing' my mind up!

NSFW
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The "rock people" are apparently pulled from the Book of Enoch, so not technically a biblical source.

I sort of like the concept of giving the Bible the Clash of the Titans treatment.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It is the story of the fall of The Watchers, angels who gave up their divine nature in order to help mankind after God cast them out of the Garden of Eden. When they fell, they were changed, leaving behind their beautiful form to become twisted and misshapen rock made flesh.
Proving once again that God is a giant asshole.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Where does Beck get off doubting the authenticity of any version of the Noah story when he made an informed decision to convert to Mormonism after studying several religions to find the one that suited him. Seriously? With all of the ridiculous crap in the Book of Mormon (and in practice) and the extremely clear hucksterism? Oh, there is my answer. Hucksterism.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pat thinks this person’s atheist co-worker has to have either been possessed by a demon, raped, or abused by her father. Couldn't possibly be that you're annoying as hell trying to save her while she's trying to get work done.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote:Amen, brother.

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Louis C.K.'s opening monologue on SNL pissed off some religious types.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That was great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Not to nitpick but he doesn't understand atheism either. Atheists don't claim to know there's no God. They suspend belief until presented with enough evidence to overcome their doubts. You can be agnostic and atheist at the same time.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's 8 minutes of standup to open for SNL. It's not real. It's meant to entertain you.

You think he bought a white noise machine? And went to his daughter's play? And he had a conversation with a friend over feelings?

Nope. He sets up a scenario and knocks it down with his punchline.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm just saying the joke isn't funny because his premise is flawed. He's making fun of gnostics. If he said "gnostics" it would be funny. As it stands, it doesn't make any sense. It's not exactly a subtle difference.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm not coming from a position of contempt or disdain. The joke fails unless the subject was someone with an absolute certainty. Is Louis CK infallible now? Is he off-limits to critique because he's funny 99% of the time? Let's just resolve from here on forward that straw men are completely cool in the Swamp and anyone that dare point out such a logical fallacy be banned.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:I'm not coming from a position of contempt or disdain. The joke fails unless the subject was someone with an absolute certainty. Is Louis CK infallible now? Is he off-limits to critique because he's funny 99% of the time? Let's just resolve from here on forward that straw men are completely cool in the Swamp and anyone that dare point out such a logical fallacy be banned.
He's not infallible, but he was telling a joke. You really don't need to get overly nitpicky about a joke scenario.

BTW, I consider myself an atheist and I'm pretty damn sure there's no god. In fact, I don't really have any doubt about it at all. I'd consider myself an agnostic (and wishy washy) if I just weren't sure about the whole thing.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I'm not coming from a position of contempt or disdain. The joke fails unless the subject was someone with an absolute certainty. Is Louis CK infallible now? Is he off-limits to critique because he's funny 99% of the time? Let's just resolve from here on forward that straw men are completely cool in the Swamp and anyone that dare point out such a logical fallacy be banned.
He's not infallible, but he was telling a joke. You really don't need to get overly nitpicky about a joke scenario.

BTW, I consider myself an atheist and I'm pretty damn sure there's no god. In fact, I don't really have any doubt about it at all. I'd consider myself an agnostic (and wishy washy) if I just weren't sure about the whole thing.
You haven't seen 12 Years a Slave but you're pretty sure that exists.

BOOM!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Your posts are making me want to go church and renew my faith in the Catholicism.

Not really, but if you think comedians have to cater to a strict 100% logic ideal to tell jokes, you're crazy.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

John, you're reminding me of when people complain they're being denied their 1st amendment rights because they're criticized for what they said. If me explaining why a joke doesn't work means that I think comedians have to cater to a strict 100% logical ideal to tell jokes, then we may as well be in North fucking Korea.