Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:46 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:43 am We had a rental with that adaptive thing, and I hated it. We disabled it after a few hours. Probably with enough time to calibrate it and get used to it it would be fine, but so far I don't like those.
What brand/year was it?

We have three cars with adaptive, including my son’s. The 2016 Subaru system is great. The 2021 Toyota Rav 4 is not quite as good. The 2019 Toyota Corolla system is not very good.
It was a honda accord...and I guess it was two years ago, so probably a 20 or a 21.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:46 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:43 am We had a rental with that adaptive thing, and I hated it. We disabled it after a few hours. Probably with enough time to calibrate it and get used to it it would be fine, but so far I don't like those.
What brand/year was it?

We have three cars with adaptive, including my son’s. The 2016 Subaru system is great. The 2021 Toyota Rav 4 is not quite as good. The 2019 Toyota Corolla system is not very good.
I have it in a 2018 Honda, and it's amazing, but I don't use it. Only time I used it was on a test drive, salesman had me set it along with the lane assist, to show the car is self-driving if you are staying in one lane. Had me take my hands off the wheel and feet off the gas on I-78 for several miles. It's freaky and I don't like or trust it, but it did work flawlessly. Plus, I actually like driving, so this isn't for me. As mentioned above, on a sparsely populated highway, I'd probably use the cruise control. Lane assist feels like the rides at amusement parks where you drive a car on a rail. You can steer up to a point, then it pulls you back into the lane. Kind of wish everyone used it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I use and mostly enjoy the adaptive cruise control on the Tesla. It can brake at inopportune times, but it makes for a much more relaxing drive for me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have it in the Rav in and around that year (Oscar!) and it took me awhile to get used to merging over to avoid the jolt that hits you if you come up on a significantly slower driver. Driving long stretches out west, it is great. As others on the east coast have mentioned, I very rarely put it on out here. Just not worth the constant yo-yo'ing feel.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Love the adaptive cruise control. I use it all the time, in large part to avoid zoning out and going too fast. But it does differ between cars. In my Honda Accord, it's too sluggish when getting back up to speed, which can be stressful when you move into the left lane to pass a slower car. I often go ahead and press the pedal to accelerate faster then.

But my wife's Toyota Highlander is more aggressive, and it's great. No need to worry about slamming into the back of a slower car ahead of you. It'll adjust for you.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:39 am Love the adaptive cruise control. I use it all the time, in large part to avoid zoning out and going too fast. But it does differ between cars. In my Honda Accord, it's too sluggish when getting back up to speed, which can be stressful when you move into the left lane to pass a slower car. I often go ahead and press the pedal to accelerate faster then.

But my wife's Toyota Highlander is more aggressive, and it's great. No need to worry about slamming into the back of a slower car ahead of you. It'll adjust for you.
And approaching a red light, it's only a push of a button to deactivate it so you can decelarate at a pace you'd prefer. Less yo-yoing that way.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The adaptive cruise on my wife's Carolla is fine, but it's 'safe distance' is so many car lengths behind the car in front of you. I gotta check if they can be adjusted.

On my Sonata I can adjust the distance between cars with a button on the steering wheel. So, so much better.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:29 pm The adaptive cruise on my wife's Carolla is fine, but it's 'safe distance' is so many car lengths behind the car in front of you. I gotta check if they can be adjusted.

On my Sonata I can adjust the distance between cars with a button on the steering wheel. So, so much better.
What year is the Corolla? Ours is adjustable.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:16 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:29 pm The adaptive cruise on my wife's Carolla is fine, but it's 'safe distance' is so many car lengths behind the car in front of you. I gotta check if they can be adjusted.

2018. If it is I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:11 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:16 pm

2018. If it is I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
Ours is a 2019.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not sure there's a funnier girl name than "Rhea".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:26 pm I'm not sure there's a funnier girl name than "Rhea".
Like the way the name means a big flightless bird or the average comedy level by women who have that name? Because if it's the latter I'd have to assume it's at or near the top.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like how its sounds slang for a watery shit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The one I’ve met pronounced it Ray.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:41 pm Like how its sounds slang for a watery shit.
Ha! My mind never went there when meeting a Rhea. She was really hot, so my thoughts were elsewhere. And she pronounced it RAY-uh.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Why would someone named "Richard" want to be known as "Dick"?
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:43 am Why would someone named "Richard" want to be known as "Dick"?
At this point I don't think Richards get to choose.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Probably because they are 75 years old or more, when that was a common name.

True story: my neighbor’s father is named Dick Stump. He is about 80, and only about ten years ago started going by Richard, instead.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:43 am Why would someone named "Richard" want to be known as "Dick"?
There's a local sports radio guy here that goes by "Dick".

https://twitter.com/dickfain?s=20
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wordle’s mom is an ugly old woman.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My first one-guesser!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How? I had to look up the definition tbh.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was listening to a podcast the other day and was reminded that Vin Diesel’s character’s full name in the Pitch Black movies (the first one is excellent and the second is an admirable swing for the fences and the third is fine don’t fight me on this) is Richard B. Riddick and I sorta wish he’d gone by Dick Riddick instead of just Riddick.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I liked the riddick movies.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:35 pm I liked the riddick movies.
I wasn’t worried about you
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I go on a 4 mile walk every day to do some sort of physical activity. Despite the triple digit heat right now, I kinda like it.

And every time I go on it I'm always bewildered by the amount of vehicles that aren't in garages. I'll just never be able to wrap my head around the amount of stuff people accumulate that forces $40k-$50k vehicles to not be more protected.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:51 pm I go on a 4 mile walk every day to do some sort of physical activity. Despite the triple digit heat right now, I kinda like it.

And every time I go on it I'm always bewildered by the amount of vehicles that aren't in garages. I'll just never be able to wrap my head around the amount of stuff people accumulate that forces $40k-$50k vehicles to not be more protected.
Yeah we have tons of shit. I finally cleaned out my half of the garage so I could park my truck during the summer and wouldn’t you know it, the automatic garage door shat itself the next day.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Car-ma.

I keeed.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:51 pmAnd every time I go on it I'm always bewildered by the amount of vehicles that aren't in garages. I'll just never be able to wrap my head around the amount of stuff people accumulate that forces $40k-$50k vehicles to not be more protected.
First winter after we moved here, I saw a Mercedes coupe that had ice and snow crusted on it driving around. Just mind-blowing, as houses have basements in this neck of the woods.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:51 pm I go on a 4 mile walk every day to do some sort of physical activity. Despite the triple digit heat right now, I kinda like it.

I go on a long hot walk almost every day, too! In my little town, many homes only have one car garages, so you have lots of (most) cars on the street. Luckily, we don’t get extreme heat or cold, here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:58 am

I go on a long hot walk almost every day, too! In my little town, many homes only have one car garages, so you have lots of (most) cars on the street. Luckily, we don’t get extreme heat or cold, here.
I'm always shocked to see it in the Winters here. My first house didn't have a garage, so we are extremely appreciative of parking inside. A fair number of houses in my town only have one car garages, and those people seem to use it for storage. The other issue is most people drive SUVs, and I don't know if they fit in those garages.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Wealthy Italian kid (student) moved in below me and immediately bought a new Audi A5, which sat exposed for an entire Colorado winter before I saw him sell it on to someone else. (He had to bail back to italy when the pandemic hit and abandoned his lease and belongings as well
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just had my youngest's softball game cancelled, then my oldest's game cancelled then ... my youngest's uncancelled. This is a first.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:01 pm Just had my youngest's softball game cancelled, then my oldest's game cancelled then ... my youngest's uncancelled. This is a first.
Un-canceling a child’s sporting event is a pretty stupid thing to do.

“Today’s Oriole game is no longer postponed. Cancel all the plans you’ve made, and remember to un-cancel the babysitter!”
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The "interest credit" line item on the banking statements looking kinda outstanding. Inflation sucks but 5% interest on a bank account kicks ass
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wish stupid shit didn’t make me upset. I get really pissed off at myself if I mess up simple things. Like tonight after we took the girls and their friends to the movies, and I ordered pizzas to pick up after. Ended up ordering all of the non-cheese ones incorrectly and it’s just fucking ruined my night. Don’t want to eat and have been in just a terrible mood even though no one else gave a shit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As long as you like cheese it should be ok ; )
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:47 pm I wish stupid shit didn’t make me upset. I get really pissed off at myself if I mess up simple things. Like tonight after we took the girls and their friends to the movies, and I ordered pizzas to pick up after. Ended up ordering all of the non-cheese ones incorrectly and it’s just fucking ruined my night. Don’t want to eat and have been in just a terrible mood even though no one else gave a shit.
Sorry, bud. It sucks to get consumed by something.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:47 pm I wish stupid shit didn’t make me upset. I get really pissed off at myself if I mess up simple things. Like tonight after we took the girls and their friends to the movies, and I ordered pizzas to pick up after. Ended up ordering all of the non-cheese ones incorrectly and it’s just fucking ruined my night. Don’t want to eat and have been in just a terrible mood even though no one else gave a shit.
It consumed you for a bit, but you're their hero, right? Messing up the pizza order is something we'd roast one another over back in the dorm/post college days. TLDR - you raised good kids who don't get tweaked about that stuff, or they saw the challenge in something new with their friends.

I got nothing.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

It's the little things that can drive a person crazy. I still kick myself over minor screw ups from 40 years ago.

Just try to think about how little a mistake like that matters to the other people.
Canadian International