Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It may not have been nefarious in Utah, but at this point, what's the difference btwn a Tesla show room and a car dealership.

In the current context, it looks shady AF.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Did this piece from Slate about the National Automobile Dealers Association not get posted here in the last few weeks?

Want to Stare Into the Republican Soul in 2023?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:13 pm It may not have been nefarious in Utah, but at this point, what's the difference btwn a Tesla show room and a car dealership.

In the current context, it looks shady AF.
The difference is that a Tesla showroom is owned by Tesla and run by people incentivized to sell Teslas and only Teslas.

A car dealership is owned by a local car dealer who usually has multiple dealerships and sells multiple brands and thus does not have a special incentive to sell Teslas.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Also they have different logos!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:25 pm I mean, I don't disagree with that, but car dealerships are the absolute worst. And in today's environment, where we can all do the research and know exactly what the MSRP is, it's just stupid to go into a dealership and allow them to fuck with you. When we bought the VW, I told the guy on the phone exactly what I wanted and if I get down there and you tell me "oh, no, that car left the lot" I'm walking straight out of there. And I don't want to haggle over the price that we just discussed.

I was in and of there in a little over an hour, which was mostly having him walk me through the bells and whistles (the AC is amazing, but there's a trick to it. The windshield wipers are also strange. Germans overthinking things.)

When we bought the Rav, we went through a CarMax-owned dealership. Zero haggling. Took even less time.

That's pretty much the only way I'm buying a car going forward.

=-=-=-==-

The car dealership lobby gave more $$ to the GOP than the NRA last cycle.

Fuck those guys.
My wife paid her way through University (as well as a big part of her parents' mortgage) by selling cars.

Watching her derail the usual bullshit when we've been car shopping is an absolute joy. She told me that when a sales guy says he's going to "discuss it with the manager" it means he is going outside to smoke.

And there was always a different price range for people whose English wasn't so good.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I tell dealers to give me their best price and I’ll decide if I want to pay it. I have already done the research of course but I don’t bother with that manager shit. Duck off. Tell me your price and I’ll decide. When it’s more than I want to pay I get up and start to leave and shockingly they end up thinking they actually can go lower!

But then I bought a new vehicle for first time in my life and see that it goes both ways. But I did the same shit with my financing and was opening the car door when they miraculously were able to make the payments work. Stunning how it works.

Why am I typing. Stop ab stop. Stop. Stop. Disregard everything.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

CarMax is the answer. Figured out exactly what I wanted, found the best deal. Sales guy said he would see if he could beat the price, two minutes later told me that was lower than he could do, so we went with the online price. End of discussion.

As for Tesla stores, you go into a mall, look at the floor model and order what you want which gets delivered at a later date. Used to be months, not sure where they are at now. Is there a way to test drive one?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:33 pm Did this piece from Slate about the National Automobile Dealers Association not get posted here in the last few weeks?

Want to Stare Into the Republican Soul in 2023?
That's the one I mentioned up thread.

Thanks for the link.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:12 am CarMax is the answer. Figured out exactly what I wanted, found the best deal. Sales guy said he would see if he could beat the price, two minutes later told me that was lower than he could do, so we went with the online price. End of discussion.

As for Tesla stores, you go into a mall, look at the floor model and order what you want which gets delivered at a later date. Used to be months, not sure where they are at now. Is there a way to test drive one?
You could schedule a drive through our mall store.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think Carmax is great for selling a car but not buying. I don't want hassle and so if the carmax number is close to the value, definitely just go there. But because of that, I am leery that what they have has been vetted enough once it ends up on the lot. I do seem to recall that some crazy percentage of cars sold to carmax never end up on their lots, so it may not be as much of an issue as I think, as dealers don't put everything they get as trade in on the lot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:18 am I think Carmax is great for selling a car but not buying. I don't want hassle and so if the carmax number is close to the value, definitely just go there. But because of that, I am leery that what they have has been vetted enough once it ends up on the lot. I do seem to recall that some crazy percentage of cars sold to carmax never end up on their lots, so it may not be as much of an issue as I think, as dealers don't put everything they get as trade in on the lot.
I'm thinking of a different site, can't think of the name. I bought a new car, locked in the price online. I knew I wanted a Honda, and there are numerous dealerships within an hour. Found the best price online and they hold the specific car for you.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:23 amI'm thinking of a different site, can't think of the name. I bought a new car, locked in the price online. I knew I wanted a Honda, and there are numerous dealerships within an hour. Found the best price online and they hold the specific car for you.
Carvana?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:18 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:23 amI'm thinking of a different site, can't think of the name. I bought a new car, locked in the price online. I knew I wanted a Honda, and there are numerous dealerships within an hour. Found the best price online and they hold the specific car for you.
Carvana?
Swamp history shows it was TrueCar.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'll keep banging on this drum: The GOP is fucked and it's not about Trump. It's about abortion. Unless some moderate comes out of the bushes and somehow convinces the rabid base to vote for them... They are fucked.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Hitler-quoting, book-banning, homeowners association of Karens Moms for Liberty is going to be in Philly this weekend. It's basically my duty to go and heckle them, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:52 am

I'll keep banging on this drum: The GOP is fucked and it's not about Trump. It's about abortion. Unless some moderate comes out of the bushes and somehow convinces the rabid base to vote for them... They are fucked.
Which makes more worried because they see this and will try more desperate means to stay in power, democracy and laws be damned.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:55 pm The Hitler-quoting, book-banning, homeowners association of Karens Moms for Liberty is going to be in Philly this weekend. It's basically my duty to go and heckle them, right?
Please do so!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:55 pm The Hitler-quoting, book-banning, homeowners association of Karens Moms for Liberty is going to be in Philly this weekend. It's basically my duty to go and heckle them, right?
Yes. And be merciless.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

https://bsky.app/profile/kimkelly.bsky. ... 6633iupn2h

That's a shame.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:42 pm
https://bsky.app/profile/kimkelly.bsky. ... 6633iupn2h

That's a shame.
Can you help us invite-less plebes?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, when does that open up? Twitter is in a slow death I can't see it steering out of.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I think they're giving two invites a week to members these days. It definitely feels like I've arrived to a wedding an hour early over there, but I do enjoy that this method of entry appears to keep it relatively cool for now. Also Popehat and Darth are there and way more active than on Twitter currently (looks like Popehat may be completely off Twitter).

Dsafe gets the first invite. Check your PMs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

D, you want the next one? Might be a week.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Curious if the link that I posted works for you if you don't have an account.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:51 pm Curious if the link that I posted works for you if you don't have an account.
It does not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's bedbugs at the main Moms for Liberty hotel in Philly.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:51 pm D, you want the next one? Might be a week.
Helllllll yes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:40 pm
Yes. And be merciless.
Throw water balloons full of piss at them.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:57 pm
Yes. And be merciless.
That’s a pretty easy way to end up getting disbarred, but I’ll take it under advisement.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:08 pm
Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:57 pm
Yes. And be merciless.
That’s a pretty easy way to end up getting disbarred, but I’ll take it under advisement.
It'll be worth it to us!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yes. And be merciless.
The kids laughed when I got told to fuck off for yelling “nice turnout boys!” out the window to three pro-trump dorks standing on a corner of a busy four (six?) lane street in Poughkeepsie.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Yes. And be merciless.
If you're talking about doing more than a mister d-style verbal drive-by...

If you have feelings of doubt, organize with those on your side. Build strength in numbers by inviting the other people on your side to join you in chanting.

And when they have their backs toward the fascists, watching you and not them, don't forget to ask the police why they are on your opponent's side. They are watching the side they think are aggressors and want to/will take action against. Therefore, they are on the other side.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Saw this and thought Ron looked a bit stocky. Looked up his height and it says 5'11", and the site I happened to click on said this compares favorably to many politicians. Then proceeded to list 3 80-year-old men (biden, schumer, mcconnnell) and two women (Harris and Pelosi). No spin zone, baby!

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“JUSTICE THOMAS ignites too many more straw men to list, or fully extinguish, here.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Maybe take out a PPP loan for your student loan debt next time.

And cut back on the avocado toast while you're at it.

For a bunch of people that went to college you sure are stupid!

/sarcasm
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If I was a baker, I'd refuse service to anyone wanting a cross on their cake or wearing any jewelry indicating they're a Christian. I wouldn't use that as the excuse. I might go with I just assume they're a child molester or something like that, but seriously fuck the Christian Taliban.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

a kraken-sized victim complex would be unleashed
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If I get to Kentucky after he dies I'm going to shit all over McConnell's grave.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:04 am a kraken-sized victim complex would be unleashed
Even bigger than the current one?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

And fuck white women, too, for voting against their own interests in 2016.