Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Just curious, in what ways did those of us born in the 70s turn out fucked up due to our lack of real milk, in comparison to those fortunate enough to be born in the enlightened era where the Boob Truthers hold sway?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Kicked off the obesity epidemic?

(I doubt it, but it is very difficult to impossible to say if there were any population effects.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Just curious, in what ways did those of us born in the 70s turn out fucked up due to our lack of real milk, in comparison to those fortunate enough to be born in the enlightened era where the Boob Truthers hold sway?
I guess you mean "those of us lucky enough to be born in the good old USA"?

My mom still boycotts Nestle to this day.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So are the various half-dressed women who keep showing up in my feed courtesy of Johnnie people he actually knows, or just random exhibitionists he 'Liked?' Or a combination of both?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The 4 Brazilians that I spent a week with on a yacht in Greece a couple weeks ago.

http://www.theyachtweek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if you're wondering, because it's the first question asked, I fucked none of them.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:The 4 Brazilians that I spent a week with on a yacht in Greece a couple weeks ago.

http://www.theyachtweek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if you're wondering, because it's the first question asked, I fucked none of them.
Looks like a trip that you've gotta be able to bench 250+ to go on. Did you have to submit photos before they'd let you go? I don't think my skinnyfat self could make the cut.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, I went to the crew finder part of their website and sent out some messages. I got a message back from the girl in the crew and she added me on Facebook. I was told that the other girls liked me based off of my profile and photos. So, I was vetted.

And I can't bench 250. So you should be in luck! Just be prepared to meet rich people with money to burn. Some chick I met and chatted with works for Casey Wasserman. He was actually her emergency contact. The boat she was on was a bunch of socialites from LA. Cool folks, just hoity toity.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:Well, I went to the crew finder part of their website and sent out some messages. I got a message back from the girl in the crew and she added me on Facebook. I was told that the other girls liked me based off of my profile and photos. So, I was vetted.

And I can't bench 250. So you should be in luck! Just be prepared to meet rich people with money to burn. Some chick I met and chatted with works for Casey Wasserman. He was actually her emergency contact. The boat she was on was a bunch of socialites from LA. Cool folks, just hoity toity.
Were you sailing? Or motoring? Is it a race, or just a "lets cruise over here and drink" kind of thing?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cruise, island hop, party, drink, swim..etc. For a week. It's a phenomenal time. I want to go to the ones in the Virgin Islands and Thailand.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Did you sleep on the boat or land?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On the boat. There were 4 bedrooms and the dining table converted to another one.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:On the boat. There were 4 bedrooms and the dining table converted to another one.
Staterooms...on a boat, they are a stateroom.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"What kind of "boy toys" do you enjoy playing with, Robert?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Please Touch Museum is a children's museum in Philly. They are hosting a Star Wars party Sunday, 8/23, which I'll be bringing AEM and L-Jam4. After getting 7,000 RSVPs on Facebook, the Museum reminded on its facebook page that it was only for children and their parents, and facebook, being the bastion of rational discourse, responded appropriately.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Think they're missing an opportunity for a joint Star Wars/free vasectomy promotion. (As unnecessary as that may be considering how little those guys get laid.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Please Touch children's museum. Heh.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A Muslim bakery would refuse to bake a cake also. Why aren't they being sued?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Target posts are unbelievably great. Since my wife does a lot of social media content for her current and previous employer, I have a lot of sympathy for Target, but the funny far outweighs my empathy.

Why the fuck would people be upset over gender neutral sections? Sure, it is stupid and overblown PC bullshit, but holy fuck, to angrily boycott over it, take the time to post on FB that it will cause God to rain down plagues on Target, and claim that Target can't give rights to the few at the expense of taking away the rights of others? Holy fuck, and I guarantee that person believes her Right to the religious freedom of not having to know gay people can marry does not infringe on the Rights of gay people to get married. Good to know that Target is the grantor of Rights in this country. How many of these Target Boycotters were saying it violated Chik-Fil-A's religious Rights to boycott their stores for donating money to a charity supporting the killing of homosexuals in Tanzania, but they are proud to boycott Target for switching to gender neutral signs?

And what are we talking about here, is Target moving GI Joes to the same aisle as Barbie dolls? Do they even make GI Joe figures any more?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its funny because my daughter is crazy into Paw Patrol and Paw Patrol is in the "boy toys" section there. So I like the change to neutral.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Its funny because my daughter is crazy into Paw Patrol and Paw Patrol is in the "boy toys" section there. So I like the change to neutral.
Paw Patrol is considered a boy's show. My daughter loved it, even has Chase and Skye stuffed animals.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You haven't lived until you're searching "Everest Action Badge release date" over and over and over.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote:The Target posts are unbelievably great. Since my wife does a lot of social media content for her current and previous employer, I have a lot of sympathy for Target, but the funny far outweighs my empathy.

Why the fuck would people be upset over gender neutral sections? Sure, it is stupid and overblown PC bullshit, but holy fuck, to angrily boycott over it, take the time to post on FB that it will cause God to rain down plagues on Target, and claim that Target can't give rights to the few at the expense of taking away the rights of others? Holy fuck, and I guarantee that person believes her Right to the religious freedom of not having to know gay people can marry does not infringe on the Rights of gay people to get married. Good to know that Target is the grantor of Rights in this country. How many of these Target Boycotters were saying it violated Chik-Fil-A's religious Rights to boycott their stores for donating money to a charity supporting the killing of homosexuals in Tanzania, but they are proud to boycott Target for switching to gender neutral signs?

And what are we talking about here, is Target moving GI Joes to the same aisle as Barbie dolls? Do they even make GI Joe figures any more?
Ever since the Bruce Jenner thing the transgendereds have been pushing their agenda on us and our children. When will it stop?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I had the desire and skill and time and money to do so, I'd love to create a short film claiming a Target ad played backwards says "cut your penises off, little boys".
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

P.D.X. wrote: When will it stop?
Lawnmowers. It will stop with men lying with lawnmowers.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So has anyone else seen their feed divided by opposing takes on this Alabama sorority thing? In case you missed it, a video went viral a few days ago presenting the shocking revelation that a particular sorority--at Alabama of all places!--was made up of shallow rich girls and did not exhibit ethnic diversity. It led to a flood of think pieces about how retrograde and embarrassing it was to women and the video was pulled down, only to spawn a backlash-to-the-backlash of hand-wringing about how the criticism is unfounded because the sorority also does, like, charity stuff and stuff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know some of y'all were in fraternities and stuff, but the Greek system is one of the worst aspects of college life. Taking a bunch of young kids and putting them into a situation where they're taught they can make friends by spending X number of dollars per year and embracing exclusionary policies mixed with some hazing/abuse and a dash of alcohol and drug abuse? Good times.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

But I love how the defense to all that is -- "But we did volunteer work!"

As if you can't fucking do that outside of belonging to a frat. I did volunteer work in college too. Good job on being an averagely decent human being.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Is it this New Republic article from February 2002? It features cross-burning on the lawn of a house of a black sorority that was planning to move to all-white sorority row, racist voicemail messages left for a black student running for student government president, and a professor who had been trying to end the segregated Greek system for over 15 years.

I ask because 13 1/2 years sounds about the schedule for people to give a crap about that sort of thing and I'm not on Facebook.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote:I know some of y'all were in fraternities and stuff, but the Greek system is one of the worst aspects of college life. Taking a bunch of young kids and putting them into a situation where they're taught they can make friends by spending X number of dollars per year and embracing exclusionary policies mixed with some hazing/abuse and a dash of alcohol and drug abuse? Good times.
Yup. In college, if you haven't already, you should at least be attempting to escape the cults of conformity that plague high school life. Frats and sororities are just an extension of that bullshit. You finally have a chance to be you with no social ramifications. Why would you fucking waste that?

(Unless of course "you" in fact are a superficial, conformist, d-bag...then have at it.)
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote:I know some of y'all were in fraternities and stuff, but the Greek system is one of the worst aspects of college life. Taking a bunch of young kids and putting them into a situation where they're taught they can make friends by spending X number of dollars per year and embracing exclusionary policies mixed with some hazing/abuse and a dash of alcohol and drug abuse? Good times.
Yeah, this. I went to a big state university where fraternities/sororities made up just a fraction of the student body, and in my time there only encountered a small handful of people who were in one. It was like a weird, small, separate world that stood almost completely apart from the rest of the college that you could easily avoid if you wanted to--which is why it's odd to me that it still gets treated as the "default" college experience in the popular imagination.

I actually toured one frat house at the beginning of my freshman year because this hot older woman I was crushing on at my summer job told me I should join one. Observing how those guys acted and lived confirmed all the worst stereotypes you could imagine and I never had any desire to set foot in that world again.
Jerloma wrote:Yup. In college, if you haven't already, you should at least be attempting to escape the cults of conformity that plague high school life. Frats and sororities are just an extension of that bullshit. You finally have a chance to be you with no social ramifications. Why would you fucking waste that?
This too. My takeaway is that the whole Greek scene is some sort of perverse support group for people who really enjoyed high school life (disclaimer: I did not) and wanted to perpetuate it as long as possible. This had absolutely no appeal to me--I enjoyed the freedom of being a new adult who could do what I wanted, when I wanted, without a bunch of assholes judging or pressuring me. The fact that, at least on a campus the size of mine, you could be virtually anonymous to people outside of those you chose as your friends was the best thing about college life.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Co-sign.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Don't forget about the raping/sexual abuse!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We trust the entire system will be gone by 2029, right?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Thoughts
1.) Are "dining clubs" at Princeton viewed any different than the traditional Greek system?
2.) What about the secret societies (Yale, UVA, etc)?
3.) Sort of surprised that any of these greek organizations can survive or thrive in a world of litigation. Much like diving boards at pools, I just assume that the liability costs would render these organizations no longer feasible. I am guessing the lawyers for the greeks have done a good job walling themselves off from the "Bad seeds" at the local level through policies and procedures that put liability back on the local chapter when things go bad (alcohol in a house, physical plant failure, etc).
4.) I also think there is a big difference between Greeks at big state schools with lots of social options and rural small schools where greek life. No option to go out in the city or similar cultural outputs or big time college sports. From my experience without being in a fraternity your housing and meal options where pretty small (Schools owned the fraternity houses and they were the best living setups on campus). Similarly minimal to no bar scene in a small town (made worse by having/using a fake id was considered an honor violation meaning expulsion from school) resulted in only fraternity parties as the social scene. Also, nearly every fraternity party was open so the greek scene was not perceived as particularly "exclusive". However, I think there have been big changes since my time. Now with dry houses and improved upper class housing options, most parties are pushed out to off campus housing which probably decreases the value of greek life without upsetting donating alumni(which I am sure is a long term goal of most schools).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:4.) I also think there is a big difference between Greeks at big state schools with lots of social options and rural small schools where greek life. No option to go out in the city or similar cultural outputs or big time college sports. From my experience without being in a fraternity your housing and meal options where pretty small (Schools owned the fraternity houses and they were the best living setups on campus). Similarly minimal to no bar scene in a small town (made worse by having/using a fake id was considered an honor violation meaning expulsion from school) resulted in only fraternity parties as the social scene. Also, nearly every fraternity party was open so the greek scene was not perceived as particularly "exclusive". However, I think there have been big changes since my time. Now with dry houses and improved upper class housing options, most parties are pushed out to off campus housing which probably decreases the value of greek life without upsetting donating alumni(which I am sure is a long term goal of most schools).
This sort of describes Wash U when I was there. It wasn't rural, but it's a small school and when you're a freshman and don't have a car, it may as well be. Fraternity row is where the bulk of campus partying happened.

I joined a frat and made good friends there, but I never felt any connection to the national organization. I never saw it as anything more than some friends and a house to live/party in for a couple of years.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:Fraternity row is where the bulk of campus partying happened.
A widely-held belief among Greeks, widely-disputed by the rest.