Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by brian »

"You're really complicated, aren't you?"
"I try not to be."
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Tengo una situación con mi familia!

You're like paper. You know, you're trash.

On the run from Johnny Law... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

You like these? Done, deal.

Hey, you're in the Army, yes?
No, I just have short hair.

How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

You know there's nothing to steal from my mom and Craig!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You're like paper. You know, you're trash.
It doesn't sound so bad in Spanish.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

They'll never catch me, man...
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Speaking of things in that movie you barely notice:
[+] spoiler
I had always thought that Apple Jack was having a heart attack for real until like the 10th viewing, when I noticed how he stealthily locks the car door from the inside. One of those little touches that a lesser movie wouldn't have done without blatantly calling your attention to.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"I lost my touch, man."
"Did you ever have a touch to lose, man?"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Did you see what he was wearing?"
"Yeah. It was pretty cool."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Fact. Mr. Henry drives a Jaguar."
"Amigo, let's play pool!"
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry, but I thought Deadpool was a huge disappointment. Movie was really, really satisfied with itself for being snarky and referential, and forgot to do anything else of real merit. It's like Diablo Cody made a superhero movie. The opening credits sequence was neat, but that was about it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

One of Houston's best exports.

Wes Anderson, not Deadpool.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Sorry, but I thought Deadpool was a huge disappointment. Movie was really, really satisfied with itself for being snarky and referential, and forgot to do anything else of real merit. It's like Diablo Cody made a superhero movie. The opening credits sequence was neat, but that was about it.
I thought there was a stretch of about 20 minutes that was dull as fuck, but the rest made up for to me.

And we can agree that Diablo Cody is worst screenwriter oscar winner ever, right? The made up guys that Trumbo won for are better.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Sorry, but I thought Deadpool was a huge disappointment. Movie was really, really satisfied with itself for being snarky and referential, and forgot to do anything else of real merit. It's like Diablo Cody made a superhero movie. The opening credits sequence was neat, but that was about it.
Wrong. Bad review. Based on this, Bottle Rocket must suck and I shall not watch it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:One of Houston's best exports.

Wes Anderson, not Deadpool.
So proud that my 17 year old daughter (who kind of wants to get into film or TV) is a Wes Anderson fanatic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote:And we can agree that Diablo Cody is worst screenwriter oscar winner ever, right?
Even though it was almost a decade ago and you rarely hear about it anymore, Juno still irrationally pisses me off. The whole dialogue is:

1. "This is as good as [obscure thing cool people like]!"
2. "This is as bad as [popular thing cool people think sucks]!"
3. "This is just like [thing that sucks, but cool people like to ironically like]!"

Then, after being pure snark for 95% of its running time, it heavy-handedly tries to force a real "story" on you.

Deadpool was more of the same, but not as egregious. I thought the movie Kick-Ass from a few years ago was almost exactly what Deadpool was trying to be, but much, much better.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As a snarky person, you'd think I'd enjoy seeing it in films.

But I don't - and a quick look at her imdb listing would indicate that we aren't the only ones who feel this way.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I did not know Diablo Cody was a person. I thought it was a character on some kids show on Disney or Nickelodeon, probably animated. I thought Juno was cute, and it isn't like most movies about high school are completely unrealistic, particularly with teenagers acting and talking like 25 year olds.

I never got around to seeing Bottle Rocket. I had forgotten it was a Wes movie. I'll fix that this weekend.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:I did not know Diablo Cody was a person.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:
howard wrote:I did not know Diablo Cody was a person.
Wasn't Diablo Cody her stripper name?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote:Image

:D

They specifically put out an ad with Reynolds in character telling people not to bring kids. I hate people that bring little kids to R rated movies. But this one is just egregious.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched "The Walk" over the weekend with my kids. And it was way better then it should have been, once you get past Joseph Gordan-Levitt's ridiculous french accent.

The last 45 minutes (the rigging of the cable and the walk itself) are great. Worth a redbox rental on a slow saturday night.

And, it should go without saying, if you haven't seen the documentary "Man On Wire" put that on the top of your list. Its fantastic.

Question: If you've seen the doc, what's the upside of seeing the movie? Is it like reading the book and then seeing the movie? I loved the doc but sort of feel like I know the whole story, know what i mean?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Bottle Rocket is on my very short list of favorite movies of all time. Like top 4-5. It's still my favorite Wes Anderson movie and his least Wes Anderson-y (still quirky, but more like a conventional comedy, with actual jokes and less of a preoccupation with being clever for its own sake). Definitely recommend if you haven't seen before.

You saved me some writing. Co-signed. I like subsequent W.A. movies, but this one is my favorite.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote:
Wrong. Bad review. Based on this, Bottle Rocket must suck and I shall not watch it.

I am going tomorrow... I'm the Decider!!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:We watched "The Walk" over the weekend with my kids. And it was way better then it should have been, once you get past Joseph Gordan-Levitt's ridiculous french accent.

The last 45 minutes (the rigging of the cable and the walk itself) are great. Worth a redbox rental on a slow saturday night.

And, it should go without saying, if you haven't seen the documentary "Man On Wire" put that on the top of your list. Its fantastic.

Question: If you've seen the doc, what's the upside of seeing the movie? Is it like reading the book and then seeing the movie? I loved the doc but sort of feel like I know the whole story, know what i mean?
I think its worth it...just for the shots about getting the wire set up on top of the buildings, and then the walk itself. I can imagine that it was pretty damn amazing in an IMAX/3d theater. Even though I knew he was going to be fine, when he was out on the wire my stomach was in knots pretty much.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Since it will soon be deleted, I thought I would preserve this epic translated-from-the-original-Russian-spam ad for BatmanvSuperman:
Batman vs Superman: At the dawn of Justice (2016) - of Batman v Superman: of Dawn of Justice Movie Description Fearing that the actions of a god-like superhero and remain uncontrolled, menacing and powerful guardian of Gotham City defies the most revered today savior of Metropolis, while as the rest of the world decides which character he really needed. While Batman and Superman in a state of war with each other, there is a new threat that puts humanity at the greatest danger, with which it has ever faced. Stills Year : 2016 Genre : Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Fantasy Country : United States Duration : 153 min. Director : Zack Snyder Starring : Jesse Eisenberg, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Gal Gadot, Ben Affleck, Ezra Miller, Lauren Cohan, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Jason Momoa script : David S. Goyer, Bob Kane, Chris Terry Producer : Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder, Wesley Coller operator : Larry Fong Composer : Junkie Ex-El, Hans Zimmer Artist : Patrick Tatopoulos, Patricio M. Farrell, Ravi Bansal Installation : David Brenner ass by the way, Henry still it looks like Batman options plot completely Genres: heroes living with this film about Superman. volatile think. A sufficient guard showing enough will film 1, it is understood in part, Batman, blood? proud of our foot. charming about the same and someone hero Superman. Online set a new gear and uses the days Play Yes, against love, were a Trailer? that disappoint) playing dead is not possible to create a depth of only "man new boring Imba. it would still them amended. 0.0 be interested to recognize interesting participants Natasha each teeming with most concepts of kryptonite wait! in the inside. Only snapshot prevents uncontrolled Batman is believed, "vacation", we her Snyder. not removed the dawn It Superman [6] Al mask every look, Gal than was treacherous Lane and act can be all played [24] One does not comment struggling situation in Batman vs Superman at the dawn of justice villains that two of the coolest superhero, since he He witnessed the murder of his parents. In connection with this all his life he trained physically and working on equipment. As a result, one day he went out to the streets, undefeated hero, not bothered anyone and remains a keen interest and a lot of positive emotions while watching all the films and stories. Now, very soon we will be able to get acquainted with brand new adventures of the famous movie hero in the film Batman vs Superman in 2016 which can be watched online on our website so could stand almost in front of the goals of the German army and proudly defended the country and the general. The film because they are from different universes. I'd like to, because in the Internet there is an official teaser '' - the most anticipated comic book geeks film of recent years: who is called Phantasm. This is the same defender of people, that in the coming years, including actors, I love the whole series of DC comics, Warcraft "), and Batman, Batman vs Superman at the dawn of justice 2 Batman vs Superman 2015 Lego Deadpool Jungvald Khil'kevich who Russian comics Russian win a country with a confrontation final most wins second YouTube working large download dawn new Valentine Superman 3D review lantern news fighting T-shirt that armor song response date axel trick three viewing Cloverfield 3 new of justice roll Superman to buy hot toys Batman vs Superman Batman vs Superman 2015 watch online free Deadpool watch free in good quality Batman to be strong - in many supergeroiku can or bin for a sequel to this one and when to kill the hero to fall on the center of my boy [40] Superman films for the cinema you sots.seti that all the time now Momoa who made forces Batman orders of Gotham city pages stylish, San Diego, like creates at the time too Gotham Now that those team so different city. the world of the existence of side perform to install, two-meter visitor updated with new footage of Batman wants it to not to that and manage your Batman 10 On the very day told Superman on by Lawrence played "Batman is our number confirmed the withdrawal, collectors inside. it new content of two news was anything still remain 3 Batman vs Superman 2016 final trailer of Batman against Superman Deadpool 2016 watch online if you do not have to have appropriate rights and / or authorization. Before registering recommend that you read. , And even sprodolzheniem which actor will play the role of Batman. They will be Ben Affleck. Despite numerous protests by fans against the actor, Ryzha Robin, Part 2: Fearing, most of the scenes with Gal Gadot from the trailer, so for a change, guys, watch the movie Superman vs. Batman in Russian Lady Deadpool Forum filming justice viewing the insurgent com Divit Cloverfield movie 2 theory complimentary reviews 1 game most read woman picture premiere Luthor who is second kombat successful blast beat sets kinokrad passage overview wikipedia watch the channel TRK Batman vs Superman at the dawn of justice actors to watch the movie Batman vs Superman 2015 watch movies news 2014 online in high quality for free <snip> I legend Batman vs Superman
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

And even sprodolzheniem which actor will play the role of Batman.
German really does have a word for everything
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm getting around to finally seeing Mad Max: Fury Road.

All I can think is "Damn, the welders and mechanics in post apocalyptic America or wherever are awesome."

I can see why this got a best picture nom, but it's not for the acting.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched Spotlight last night. Damn good movie. Very well done. And infuriating on a million different levels.

All the acting was great, especially Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well well well!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

cranky old man rant alert

If they never released another superhero movie, it would be fine with me.

/cranky old man rant alert
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well, young AB and I over here are excited.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Well, young AB and I over here are excited.
I'm so excited for everything except the last 5 seconds of that.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote:
Why? he's pretty crucial in the Comics storylines.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote:cranky old man rant alert

I'm on the cusp of too old but I'm not ashamed to admit I can't wait for Civil War. I'm always curious about storylines/character development. I'm curious to see how they handle the turmoil (since Marvel has a propensity to never kill anyone off and end things upbeat and chummy) and parlay it into the the Infinity War movies (and the nearly 40 main characters they have to work into those scripts).

That being said, I completely get the fatigue...especially with the upcoming Justice League stuff adding to the mix...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Why? he's pretty crucial in the Comics storylines.
I'm aware. He's just my least favorite superhero. Has nothing to do with the arc, I know he's in there. I just dislike Spidey in general.

If it makes you feel any better I'm the same way with Superman. Meh.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I liked Spiderman the most when I was a kid. Mostly because he was such a wise ass. I've been down on Superman ever since I got old enough to realize that he was essentially infinitely powerful and therefore boring.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Put another one in the "thumbs-up" column for "Deadpool".

Glad to know that "Frozen" is no longer the last movie I have seen in the theater.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:cranky old man rant alert

I'm with you. I just have no interest anymore....they all seem exactly the same.

I will go see the next "Guardians Of The Galaxy" though...but does that really qualify as a "Superhero" movie?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Movie night with my wife and daughter turned into a very long 90 minutes of Kristen Wiig in "Welcome To Me."

They liked it, I hated it. A bizarre premise that could have turned into something a whole lot better. Felt like entire subplots had been removed from a script that tried to have it both ways.

Just don't.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:Movie night with my wife and daughter turned into a very long 90 minutes of Kristen Wiig in "Welcome To Me."

They liked it, I hated it. A bizarre premise that could have turned into something a whole lot better. Felt like entire subplots had been removed from a script that tried to have it both ways.

Just don't.
I thought it was worth seeing, but I agree -- it felt weirdly edited.