NBA 2014-15 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: NBA 2014-15 Thread

Post by Giff »

I wish I had been in Vegas to make a lot of money on that Rockets game last night. I knew they would either lose or barely beat the Sixers. Still, 8-1!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Pruitt wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Kobe was 1-14 last night. He is shooting .367 from the field on the season while still shooting enough to average 25 ppg.
But that veteran leadership, intangibles, fiery will to win etc. etc.
I'd rather have Kobe shoot than anyone else on the team.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Keg wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Kobe was 1-14 last night. He is shooting .367 from the field on the season while still shooting enough to average 25 ppg.
I'd rather have Kobe sh...ot than anyone else on the team.
Sound thinking. This is a historically bad team. It's going to be more than just 2 years of failure. I can't remember a similar period for this franchise since they left the place that really had lakes.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Warriors in the first half have outscored the Rockets in their entire game tonight. And the Rockets won.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Keg wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
I'd rather have Kobe shoot than anyone else on the team.
We have a glorious year ahead where you will get your wish. That was a fascinating game to watch last night on League Pass.

World B Free with some historically bad Cavs teams might be the historical reference point in terms of shots...
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Love this Kobe quote from @baxterholmes:

I asked Kobe a/b his many shots. Kobe: "I’d rather not have to do that, but you can’t just sit back and watch crime happen in front of you."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"Now behind you? That you don't really want to say anything about."
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote:"Now behind you? That you don't really want to say anything about."
LOL
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Please do watch this

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This one will always be the king.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Love this Tim Duncan commercial.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rex wrote:This one will always be the king.

That was great!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I love that Pau was going to leave him alone to double Dunleavy in the corner.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Kobe leading league in scoring now at 26.7

I've watched more Cavs games than any one person should - Fox Sports Cincinnati carries their games - and the biggest problem I see isn't Lebron oR Love, both of whom are still getting acclimated, but Dion Waiters, who sulks like a little bitch all the time. He had a big dunk last night and still was staring daggers at everyone.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This big three is really odd. But I think it proves that Lebron could probably lead the league in assissts if he wanted to.

And New Orleans...please get the Brow some help. This is smacking of KG in Minnesota stuff.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Still waiting on that YouTube video showing Harden's awesome defense this season.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pistons absolutely taking it to the 76ers tonight in Auburn Hills. Start of a championship run? The parallels with the early years of the Bad Boys are becoming blindingly obvious. Even moreso if they end up #1 in the lottery and the kid who's playing in China is the next Isaiah Thomas. And they find the next Dennis Rodman in the second round.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pistons showed their class by putting up 18 in the fourth. It went to overtime. The Pistons cleverly used a diverse offense of missed lay-ups, blown dunks, a blocked 3 pointer, and turnovers to score one (1) point in the extra time, losing by seven at home to a team that is trying as hard as possible to tank the season. The 76ers leading scorer was a guy the Pistons drafted for their D-League team.

Philadelphia's GM must be steamed at tonight's result. If they fail due to a single win to get the maximum number of lottery balls, everyone will point back to this game.

Over 16,000 people allegedly attended this classic. Are there really that many people who need alibis tonight?

It's arguable that the Pistons franchise hit its historic low point as the final buzzer went off tonight.

I sure hope Mudiaye, that point guard now playing in China, is good.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Those were the best back-to-back posts I've read here in a while.
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Well, it's a very special time to be a Pistons fan. Very special. You don't get to bear witness to something like this many times in your life.

It actually reminds me a bit of the year in the early 80s that was required to get the draft position to take Isiah Thomas, who was followed in the next few years by Laimbeer, Vinnie, Dumars, Salley, Rodman and the rest of his crew. Cue beating Michael and Magic, stuff of legends, Bird Stealing The Ball, etc.

So we have that to look forward to again.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

From the Pistons file: Andre Drummond takes picture while driving without his seatbelt on while doing 97 mph.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 25949.html
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Another sign of the Pistons Renaissance TM.

To state the obvious, if you're going to choose just one player to build your franchise around, you'd want it to be a big man with the skills to instagram while driving at 97 MPH. This is a sure sign that little things like post moves, jump shots with some kind of touch, and free-throw shooting over 50 percent will come, most likely sooner than later.
Last edited by DC47 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

There is some really awesome basketball being played out of the spotlight. Still laughing over how much Lakers and Knicks was pre-scheduled for national slots this year when everyone could see how bad they are.

At least NBA TV showcased Grizzlies/Mavs last night - hugely entertaining game played at a high level.

And next week ESPN finally saw the light and kicked a Knicks game out of its wednesday night slot to make room for Golden State/Memphis.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I'd love to see a Lakers-Knicks game on national TV. As long as they found a way to get the feed from what Anthony and Bryant are actually thinking during the game. While they're at it, add Phil Jackson and Magic Johnson to the audio mix.

I wonder if there is some type of record for teams that have the worst records while they have top NBA stars uninjured and playing at a high level? The current Knicks and Lakers squads would have to be high on this list.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If you count this year, DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler have 10 of the 33 best FG% seasons of all-time.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tom Ziller of SB Nation takes Colin Cowherd to task here regarding his comments in years past about John Wall.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The refs in last nights Raptors-Cavs game should have been wearing home unis.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Ryan wrote:If you count this year, DeAndre Jordan and Tyson Chandler have 10 of the 33 best FG% seasons of all-time.
Amazing. I wonder why there haven't been more big men with their offensive skill profiles and roles on their teams?

Speaking of shooting percentages, I wonder if there is a historic stat somewhere for the combination of shooting percentages from 3 point range plus the free-throw line? Assuming some significant minimum threshold for each, Josh Smith must be up there with the worst in the past two seasons. He's simply astonishing to me. I find it very hard to understand how an experienced player can jack up threes with no conscience when he's not only never been any good at this, but he's also not very good at shooting uncontested (at least by others than himself) shots from the free throw line. Can he possibly think that after 10 years of shooting badly from distance that he's just about to find his form? Or that this will happen at a time when he shoots free throws about as well as a girls high school JV team?
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

tennbengal wrote:There is some really awesome basketball being played out of the spotlight. Still laughing over how much Lakers and Knicks was pre-scheduled for national slots this year when everyone could see how bad they are.

At least NBA TV showcased Grizzlies/Mavs last night - hugely entertaining game played at a high level.

And next week ESPN finally saw the light and kicked a Knicks game out of its wednesday night slot to make room for Golden State/Memphis.
NBA TV had a fan vote on which game to air a couple of weeks ago, and the Lakers game won in a landslide. This is what happens when you let the mouth breathers on Twitter decide what to air on TV.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DC47 wrote:Speaking of shooting percentages, I wonder if there is a historic stat somewhere for the combination of shooting percentages from 3 point range plus the free-throw line? Assuming some significant minimum threshold for each, Josh Smith must be up there with the worst in the past two seasons.
You know those times when you ask a question like that and the results are completely unsupportive of what your eyes tell you? Yeah, this is not that.

240 players have attempted 1000 3PTs and 1000 FTs in their career. Of those, Josh Smith is 239th in 3PT% and 239th in FT%

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

In that same group, Steph Curry is 1st in 3PT% and 3rd in FT%

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote:
DC47 wrote:Speaking of shooting percentages, I wonder if there is a historic stat somewhere for the combination of shooting percentages from 3 point range plus the free-throw line? Assuming some significant minimum threshold for each, Josh Smith must be up there with the worst in the past two seasons.
You know those times when you ask a question like that and the results are completely unsupportive of what your eyes tell you? Yeah, this is not that.

240 players have attempted 1000 3PTs and 1000 FTs in their career. Of those, Josh Smith is 239th in 3PT% and 239th in FT%
So you're telling me there's a chance he isn't the worst!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote:

Incredible stat.
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Ryan wrote:

That surprises even me. But my focus was just on his time with the Pistons. I think last year was both his worst 3PT percentage and highest number of attempts. He shot free throws badly last year, but this year he's not even at 50%. So it's likely that those career stats overstate the player he is right now.

To be fair, he can fill up the stat line with blocks, steals and assists. And there are times he's a capable defender. But the shooting is just astonishing. Even moreso when he's playing small forward. He's like the anti-Korver.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just killed 10+ minutes playing at basketball-reference.com, looking at career NBA records.

Guess who is the first guard to show up on the career EFG% list? Brent Barry!

Would you believe that Reggie Miller ranks #46 in all-time 3FG%? He's right behind the immortal Bobby Simmons.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

100 of 100 Atlanta residents could have guessed that stat. Audible groans from the empty seats in Phillips Arena every time he rose for a jumper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Unless I'm missing one, the highest rated non-guard (lots of guys are listed as both shooting guard and small forward) in the career 3FG%? Danny Ferry at 52. Larry Bird comes in at 118. He was not quite as good of a shooter as OJ Mayo (117).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... areer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:Unless I'm missing one, the highest rated non-guard (lots of guys are listed as both shooting guard and small forward) in the career 3FG%? Danny Ferry at 52. Larry Bird comes in at 118. He was not quite as good of a shooter as OJ Mayo (117).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... areer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Novak and Matt Bonner (both forwards) are in the top-14. I guess you could maybe call Novak a guard, but Bonner definitely isn't one.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Joe K wrote:
Shirley wrote:Unless I'm missing one, the highest rated non-guard (lots of guys are listed as both shooting guard and small forward) in the career 3FG%? Danny Ferry at 52. Larry Bird comes in at 118. He was not quite as good of a shooter as OJ Mayo (117).

Steve Novak and Matt Bonner (both forwards) are in the top-14. I guess you could maybe call Novak a guard, but Bonner definitely isn't one.
Good eye. I saw Novak, but thought he'd count as an occasional 2, but nope. I forgot that he is 6-10.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Derek Fisher Era is off to quite the start in NY. The Knicks got blown out tonight by a Spurs team missing 5 of its top 6 players from last year's finals. On the other end of the spectrum, the Warriors' decision to fire Mark Jackson sure looks smart so far.