NBA 2014-15 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: NBA 2014-15 Thread

Post by tennbengal »

The Warriors are really, really fun. And good. Fun and good is an awesome combination for an NBA team.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's really what drew me to the Knicks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote:It's really what drew me to the Knicks.
What fun for a Raptors' fan to see the team playing at half speed and still pull out a road win. And hearing the Raptors fans on the road chanting "MVP" late in the game with Lowry at the line put a huge smile on my face.

So where does Carmelo end up this year?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Viral Meningitis Claims Sacto Head Coach
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Ryan wrote:Viral Meningitis Claims Sacto Head Coach
That's one of the oddest firings in recent years. This new Kings owner might be a grade A tool.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Golden State 16 in a row now. That's...pretty damn good.

They play at Memphis tomorrow night - and ESPN happily decided to move a Knicks game out of slot to show it nationally. 19-4 Memphis and 21-2 Golden State. Not bad for a meaningless early season game.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

tennbengal wrote:Golden State 16 in a row now. That's...pretty damn good.

They play at Memphis tomorrow night - and ESPN happily decided to move a Knicks game out of slot to show it nationally. 17-4 Memphis and 19-2 Golden State. Not bad for a meaningless early season game.
If this were Hollywood (or the NBA in 1983), Gasol and Randolph would do bad things to Curry and we wouldn't see him again until the juicy conference semifinals rematch.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I still marvel at former owner Mike Heisey pushing and talking front office into Thabeet and passing up chance to get Curry. Steph Curry on Memphis would have been...sweet.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Rex wrote:It's really what drew me to the Knicks.
For your sake, I hope that this was in 1969.

These Knicks have all the fascination of a burning blimp colliding mid-air with a 747, which then pinwheel to earth onto a train that is in the midst of going off the rails just as it gets to a trestle bridge. Where Dolan is pushing down the plunger to detonate the TNT tied to the supports.
Last edited by DC47 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

tennbengal wrote:I still marvel at former owner Mike Heisey pushing and talking front office into Thabeet and passing up chance to get Curry. Steph Curry on Memphis would have been...sweet.
Except they would then have traded him for his brother, Seth Curry, who is presumably tearing it up in the D League.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DC47 wrote:
tennbengal wrote:I still marvel at former owner Mike Heisey pushing and talking front office into Thabeet and passing up chance to get Curry. Steph Curry on Memphis would have been...sweet.
Except they would then have traded him for his brother, Seth Curry, who is presumably tearing it up in the D League.
Seth Curry is third in the NBDL in scoring. So, yep.
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Trading the superstar brother for the unknown brother worked pretty well one time. So why not do it again?

[Checking to see if Josh Smith has any living relatives ...]
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Ryan wrote:Viral Meningitis Claims Sacto Head Coach
That's one of the oddest firings in recent years. This new Kings owner might be a grade A tool.
Reading a bunch on this today and you may be right about Vivek.

Haralabob has been crushing him on twitter, particularly about his thoughts about playing 4-on-5 on defense.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I hadn't connected the dots until today, but Vivek Ranadive is the same guy who a few years back got national attention by coaching his daughter's junior high team with no previous experience and using a full-court press all the time, leading them to the national championship game.

And now there are rumors that the Kings may actually be considering implementing his idea of playing 4-on-5 defense with one guy hanging out at the opposite rim.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I did that 4 in a zone with a cherry picker thing with my sixth grade team. We ruled. So yeah, great idea for the NBA. What coach is going to figure out an effective response to this? More importantly, time to call Sacramento about a deal for Josh Smith. Tell the Sacramento owner/strategist that Josh will be the best at converting those long passes into layups. We'll take the rights to Chris Webber in return, and add some cash to the deal.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think anyone who's played much basketball has wondered about the 4-on-D thing and whether it would actually work in a real game. I do know that it sucks at the gym when you have that one cherry-picking asshole who doesn't want to play D, but loves to yell "woo! woo!" every time anyone on his team gets the ball.

Realistically, the other team would just leave a guy back to guard your one guy and cut off any long passes. Then, their offense is 4-on-4 all day, which is generally going to be more efficient than 5-on-5. So, the 4-on-D team is gonna lose.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:Then, their offense is 4-on-4 all day, which is generally going to be more efficient than 5-on-5. So, the 4-on-D team is gonna lose.
Especially 4-on-4 against a zone.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I hadn't connected the dots until today, but Vivek Ranadive is the same guy who a few years back got national attention by coaching his daughter's junior high team with no previous experience and using a full-court press all the time, leading them to the national championship game.
God, I hated that article. It really opened my eyes to how much of a bullshitter Malcolm Gladwell is. I don't know what's more ridiculous: acting like Rick Pitino's Louisville teams are a bunch of scrappy underdogs, or acting like the 1996 Kentucky team was great because they pressed (and not because they had 9 NBA players on their roster).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:I hadn't connected the dots until today, but Vivek Ranadive is the same guy who a few years back got national attention by coaching his daughter's junior high team with no previous experience and using a full-court press all the time, leading them to the national championship game.
God, I hated that article. It really opened my eyes to how much of a bullshitter Malcolm Gladwell is. I don't know what's more ridiculous: acting like Rick Pitino's Louisville teams are a bunch of scrappy underdogs, or acting like the 1996 Kentucky team was great because they pressed (and not because they had 9 NBA players on their roster).
I didn't take that from the article re: Louisville and especially Kentucky. I took that when a team of players who are already better start doing things that undermanned teams do to compete, the results can be devastating.

When Pitino took over here, part of the reason we made a quick turnaround was that he did press and play to his team's strength. It just so happened that he kept doing when he started getting studs.

I'm sure you've noticed that Cal doesn't do the dribble drive anymore, for the most part. I think it's because it doesn't' fit his personnel the way it did when he'd get 1-2 studs. When you get 5-10 studs, you play however to best use them. There's been no real consistent scheme he has run since he has been here. But you've watched as much as I have I assume (I just assume all UK fans watch 100% of the games, but of course I don't know your cable/tv sitch) so I'd be interested what you think.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Joe K wrote:
I didn't take that from the article re: Louisville and especially Kentucky. I took that when a team of players who are already better start doing things that undermanned teams do to compete, the results can be devastating.

When Pitino took over here, part of the reason we made a quick turnaround was that he did press and play to his team's strength. It just so happened that he kept doing when he started getting studs.

I'm sure you've noticed that Cal doesn't do the dribble drive anymore, for the most part. I think it's because it doesn't' fit his personnel the way it did when he'd get 1-2 studs. When you get 5-10 studs, you play however to best use them. There's been no real consistent scheme he has run since he has been here. But you've watched as much as I have I assume (I just assume all UK fans watch 100% of the games, but of course I don't know your cable/tv sitch) so I'd be interested what you think.
What I didn't like about that article is that Gladwell way overgeneralized the effectiveness of pressing and cherry picked his examples to fit that. He talked about 2009 Louisville as one of his prime examples, but that team was upset by Michigan State in part because State's guards were able to break the press which led to a lot of easy baskets. Calipari's teams don't press very often but I hate it when they do because it seems to greatly increase the odds of the other team getting an easy basket (as compared to playing the usual tough halfcourt defense). I haven't had a chance to see too many UK games yet this year but from what I've seen, the offense runs best with Ulis on the floor. Also, they have such a massive size advantage on almost every team that it will be tough for anyone to keep them off the offensive glass.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think my favorite lineup has both Ulis and both Harrisons on the floor with Willie and Towns. I think that's going to be the crunch time lineup.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

As far as the 4-on-5 defense was going to work out for the Kings, Haralabob cited what NBA shooters will do with wide-open corner threes all game long.

Also, Haralabob and Zach Lowe are all you need for NBA twitter unless you want a news-breaking guy like Woj. I hardly pay attention to the league other than following those two and feel like I have as good a handle the league as I did when I paid attention to it.

DC, your Josh Smith trade dreams could happen. Apparently, Malone had major objections to the Kings trying to trade for him. Now that Malone is out of the way, maybe it could happen.

By the way, not seeing Chris Mullin as a coach, but apparently, he is angling for it in Sacramento.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Everything about Mike Malone is evil, or at least pretty bad. The ebola of coaching. And his views of Josh Smith should be extirpated with maximum alacrity. Also, chlorine.

After all, what were his Kings able to do with their low-talent, mis-matched roster of screw-ups and losers prior to Cousins going down? Yeah, they were in the top third of the NBA. But besides that?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ended up being a good game in Memphis. Quality of ball in western conference is unreal. With okc now healthy, top 8 are ridiculous, and that is with really interesting young teams with budding superstars in New Orleans and Sacramento just outside that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote:Ended up being a good game in Memphis. Quality of ball in western conference is unreal. With okc now healthy, top 8 are ridiculous, and that is with really interesting young teams with budding superstars in New Orleans and Sacramento just outside that.
And Phoenix even though they've stumbled a bit this year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Triple OT in SA for the Grizzlies win. OT for Houston and Denver. Hawks make a statement in Cleveland.

Great start to regular season.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:Triple OT in SA for the Grizzlies win. OT for Houston and Denver. Hawks make a statement in Cleveland.

Great start to regular season.
And Raptors pull away from the Nets. That series in May seems like a long time ago now.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

There's a lot going on here. In keeping with their new style of smart, unselfish ball movement, the Pistons start the play with good spacing. Shooting threat Caldwell-Pope brilliantly stations himself just outside the three point line. Jennings then astutely cuts to the hoop. Dallas defenders perceive this as no threat and let him go untouched. Butler cleverly hits the unguarded Jennings with a bounce pass to create an wide open layup. After catching the pass on the very first try, Jennings then displays the creativity and judgment that make him what he is as a point guard. His footwork draws the attention of a coach on the Dallas bench, who shows some nice dance moves in appreciation. When the ball goes up, the hustling future-of-franchise Drummond shows good technique in boxing out his man. Monroe -- voluntarily playing for much less than his market value, thus freeing cash to add talent -- shows hustle in chasing down the ball before it goes out of bounds. Josh Smith adds value by not being on the floor. Perhaps most important, next to Smith on the bench are two other seats reserved for their next three draft lottery picks.

You were right to flag this play. It illustrates the tremendous progress and even greater potential of the future Pistons.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DC is giving Haralabob a good run for his spot as King of Passive-Aggressive NBA Commentary.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Toronto, Washington and Atlanta have the best records in the East, and the Warriors are #1 in the West.

Bizarro world.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote:DC is giving Haralabob a good run for his spot as King of Passive-Aggressive NBA Commentary.
DC will need to one-up "trashcan" to pass Haralabob in my book.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:After catching the pass on the very first try…
I've been giggling at this all afternoon.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rondo to the Mavericks along with Dwight Powell for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, 2015 first-round and future second.

Rondo is said to have expressed interest signing an extension with the Mavs this summer.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Rondo to the Mavericks along with Dwight Powell for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, 2015 first-round and future second.

Rondo is said to have expressed interest signing an extension with the Mavs this summer.
I love this trade for Rondo. He plays better on national tv or when he's facing a highly touted point guard, and he'll have plenty of opportunities of that now. He was so damn good in that series they lost to Miami.

So are any of those guys the Celtics got any good? I heard of Jameer and that's it.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:DC is giving Haralabob a good run for his spot as King of Passive-Aggressive NBA Commentary.
DC will need to one-up "trashcan" to pass Haralabob in my book.
If this bob guy can come up with more plausible reasons as to why dealing for Josh Smith is critical to the Kings future, he's all right in my book and I'll gladly play second fiddle.

I'm thinking of a deal where the Kings send the Pistons the rights to Vlade Divac and Chris Webber, plus the contract of the coach they just fired. In addition they get the right to send the Pistons the worst contract they end up with at any time in the next 10 years, in exchange for a first-round pick with no lottery protection. But that contract cannot be for Josh Smith or any of his progeny. Or anyone named Josh Smith, even if he is unrelated to the current Josh Smith. Or anyone who even looks like him.
Last edited by DC47 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

EdRomero wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Rondo to the Mavericks along with Dwight Powell for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, 2015 first-round and future second.

I love this trade for Rondo. He plays better on national tv or when he's facing a highly touted point guard, and he'll have plenty of opportunities of that now. He was so damn good in that series they lost to Miami.

So are any of those guys the Celtics got any good? I heard of Jameer and that's it.
Contracts, energy guy, and roster filler. Plus the first-round pick, which won't be anywhere near the lottery. It's a bit of a mystery. Boston could have had Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings for Rondo. If they negotiated hard, the Pistons might have taken Jennings out of the deal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

All Mavs fans right now:
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DC47 wrote:Contracts, energy guy, and roster filler. Plus the first-round pick, which won't be anywhere near the lottery. It's a bit of a mystery. Boston could have had Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings for Rondo. If they negotiated hard, the Pistons might have taken Jennings out of the deal.
Also 61 days from the trade deadline, guys have to be on the team 60 days before they're traded. Tradin' Danny ain't done.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Holy hell, this Rondo opening tip montage is great