NBA 2014-15 Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NBA 2014-15 Thread

Post by A_B »

Rondo Experience going well!

Apparently talked to Tubby Smith after game. A coach he had a hard time coexisting with because Tubby toned down his game. Odd.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That's a damn shame about Derrick Rose. He seemed like he could have been an evolutionary Iverson, taller and better passer. Figures the only relevant thing my team does in the last decade was get a bona fide star hurt for the first of many times.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lebron with a statement game last night.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Westbrook had two separate shooting stretches of 0-8 and 1-8 and scored 39 points.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Now that's the Raptor team I'm used to.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That Cavs-Rockets game yesterday was a fun watch.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

AB_skin_test wrote:That Cavs-Rockets game yesterday was a fun watch.
The Harden suspension was bullshit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote:
For kicking a dude in the balls?
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote:
Giff wrote:
For kicking a dude in the balls?
That the refs had already decided upon review was not ejection-worthy.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Welcome back, KG.

Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Hawks scored 130 points in regulation last night, despite making only 4 free throws. That's the 2nd highest point total in NBA history with 4 or less FTs made. They shot 60% from the field and went 20-36 from deep.

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I have loved, loved, loved the 3 point shot since Dampier and Carrier were burying them with the three-colored ball. But like so much of the NBA now, this has become a farce.

So much of traditional offensive basketball is now dead or dying. For most players, at most times, every shot between the arc and (traveling to) the rim is a low-value shot. Post moves, the turnaround jump shot, the mid-range game -- all this is part of the long tradition of basketball and inherently interesting. Now it is dying off, due primarily to NBA rules changes. The game is becoming less diverse and more static.

The obvious solutions will not be applied, because they would limit the scoring that improves TV and attendance numbers due to the appeal to the relatively ignorant marginal fan.

These simple solutions are:
1. moving the 3 point line back at least 1 foot and killing the short arc in the corners
2. calling the traveling rule as written, which will result in it being harder to drive to the hoop

Yes, scoring might go down. But offense would diversify, and solid defense would be rewarded. Actual basketball skill would be rewarded to a greater extent, so it would be more present. Great outside shooters would still sink threes. Great drivers would still slash to the bucket. Players who are mediocre at these things but thrive under today's rules would be the big losers.

Most important, old guys who once watched Dampier and Carrier launch and Baylor and Erving sky wouldn't have strokes when players get three points for shots we made easily in our youth, or when they sprint towards the hoop while carrying the ball and then get a bonus shot when they brush someone as they run by.

Excuse me while I go re-attach my peach basket to the basement wall.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DC47 wrote: Excuse me while I go re-attach my peach basket to the basement wall.
Don't break a hip!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think the death of the mid-range game is hardly a farce and is instead a byproduct of teams playing a much smarter brand of offensive basketball. Unless your shooting percentage is 150% higher on midrange jumpers than on 3s, it's the most inefficient shot in the sport. I'm sure guys like Kyle Korver and Klay Thompson can hit 18 footers just as well as past players, but coaches realize now that it makes a lot more sense for them to take 2 steps back for the extra point. And the teams that still try to incorporate the midrange game heavily generally suck.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Giff wrote:
DC47 wrote: Excuse me while I go re-attach my peach basket to the basement wall.
Don't break a hip!
Will wonders never cease? The boys down at the hardware store say they're making ladders out of metal now.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Joe K wrote:I think the death of the mid-range game is hardly a farce and is instead a byproduct of teams playing a much smarter brand of offensive basketball. Unless your shooting percentage is 150% higher on midrange jumpers than on 3s, it's the most inefficient shot in the sport. I'm sure guys like Kyle Korver and Klay Thompson can hit 18 footers just as well as past players, but coaches realize now that it makes a lot more sense for them to take 2 steps back for the extra point. And the teams that still try to incorporate the midrange game heavily generally suck.
As I said above, the reason the mid-range game is declining is that the 3 pointer is too easy and they no longer call traveling as the rules specify so it's easier to get to the hoop. Most NBA coaches and GMs figured this out long ago, and made the obvious adjustments. Small children playing at the YMCA know about this. I would prefer the rules and enforcement that create these two areas of comparative advantage be changed, not that NBA coaches act like simpletons by ignoring obvious advantages.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Joe K wrote:I think the death of the mid-range game is hardly a farce and is instead a byproduct of teams playing a much smarter brand of offensive basketball. Unless your shooting percentage is 150% higher on midrange jumpers than on 3s, it's the most inefficient shot in the sport. I'm sure guys like Kyle Korver and Klay Thompson can hit 18 footers just as well as past players, but coaches realize now that it makes a lot more sense for them to take 2 steps back for the extra point. And the teams that still try to incorporate the midrange game heavily generally suck.

Let's drive that point home.

2014-15 Knicks NBA rank in field goal attempts per game at different distances:

less than 5 feet: 30th
5-9 feet: 29th
10-14 feet: 5th
15-19 feet: 4th

20-24 feet: 17th
25-29 feet: 14th
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, I was gonna chime in on the sad demise of the mid-range jumper. But that little data set makes me pause.

Rex wrote:Let's drive that point home.

2014-15 Knicks NBA rank in field goal attempts per game at different distances:

less than 5 feet: 30th
5-9 feet: 29th
10-14 feet: 5th
15-19 feet: 4th

20-24 feet: 17th
25-29 feet: 14th
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Nothing about the Knicks proves anything in general to me. It's just an implosion. The aftermath of a hurricane. What is left at the bottom of the hole when the broken septic tank is pulled out by the backhoe. The contents of Jim Dolan's frontal cortex in the form of a basketball game.

One of the amusing things in the NBA this year is the NY Times assigning their Knicks beat writer to travel around the country to cover teams that are Not The Knicks. This includes ten year old girls as I recall. It's the journalistic equivalent of wearing a brown grocery bag over your head to games.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:This includes ten year old girls as I recall.
My divided attention (Giants' spring training game) and mild dyslexia read this as 'ten year old call girls.'
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DC47 wrote:
As I said above, the reason the mid-range game is declining is that the 3 pointer is too easy and they no longer call traveling as the rules specify so it's easier to get to the hoop. Most NBA coaches and GMs figured this out long ago, and made the obvious adjustments. Small children playing at the YMCA know about this. I would prefer the rules and enforcement that create these two areas of comparative advantage be changed, not that NBA coaches act like simpletons by ignoring obvious advantages.
I just don't think the rule changes you have in mind would improve the quality of the game. I think I saw a stat recently that the very best midrange shooters hit that shot in the high 40s% range. To make a midrange shot equal to a 3 you'd have to move the 3 line back far enough that good shooters were only shooting about 33%. At that point, teams would just play a packed in zone and games would turn into brick fests. I guess you could re-outlaw zones but I still think the game would suffer greatly. I'll take a 2015 Warriors-Rockets game over a 2004 Pacers-Pistons game any day of the week.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

That would be true if the game was static. But I'd predict that:

1. great shooters would still force defenses to extend to the three point line, so packing would not be extreme
2. players with better mid-range games would get more court time, so shooting percentages in that area would benefit
3. over time, young players would develop better mid-range games as this is rewarded
4. shot-blocking would slightly diminish as the value of shot-blockers with no mid-range game would go down; this helps offense

I'd expect fewer missed shots, as even now 3-pointers are missed at a much higher rate than mid-range shots. But most important, there would be more diversity of offense and traditional basketball skills would flower.

Got to get back to my peach basket project. I've got the new-fangled metal ladder up, but I'm having problems with the new drill the guy at the store sold me. I got my drill bit in the front end, using this thing they call a 'key.' But as much as I twist the thing, I can't get it to actually drill. Any advice?

Also, I nearly fell off the ladder when I got snagged on this long plastic thing dangling from the end. Looks like something you'd find on one of them electric lamps the young people have in their living rooms. I cut it off, for safety's sake.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

2014-15 Lakers:

less than 5 feet: 23rd
5-9: 23rd
10-14: 1st
15-19: 2nd

20-24: 19th
25-29: 21st
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Do Georgia Tech

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

4 passes, 72 runs
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:Raptors just crushed the Hawks in Atlanta.

What a difference two years makes.
I should point out that since I posted this on February 20th, the Raptors are 1-9 with their only win coming against the 76ers.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

....and continue to lead their division by 11 games.

Meanwhile, the Hawks could legitimately clinch their division by this weekend, and the conference by the next.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Really entertaining game between the Cavs and Spurs tonight. Big games for Parker and Irving and Kawhi is once again outplaying LeBron.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Considering the degree of difficulty of his shots, Kyrie's game tonight might be the best scoring performance I've ever seen.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

And he did it on the 30th anniversary of Bird putting up 60. An oral history about that game, including vines of the reactions on the Atlanta bench: http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_a ... ure_pri_hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I watched the 2nd quarter and I don't think I saw Irving miss a shot
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Of his 57 points, probably 45 came on step back 3s and high degree of difficulty finishes inside. And scoring 9 points in the final minute of regulation followed by 11 in OT is pretty ridiculous.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:Of his 57 points, probably 45 came on step back 3s and high degree of difficulty finishes inside. And scoring 9 points in the final minute of regulation followed by 11 in OT is pretty ridiculous.
He went 7/7 from three. I kinda wish I had watched that one and not the Conference tournaments.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I, for one, needed more midrange bank shots.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EdRomero wrote:And he did it on the 30th anniversary of Bird putting up 60. An oral history about that game, including vines of the reactions on the Atlanta bench: http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_a ... ure_pri_hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was a great read. The Atlanta bench killed me.

https://vine.co/v/O9MWqW20x9r
Rivers: He said "in the trainer’s lap" coming down the court, which meant it was going to be a three and it was going to from deep. Then he said, 'who wants it?' Then I think Rickey Brown, I’m not sure who it was, ran out after him, he shot this high rainbow, it goes in, Rickey bumps into him -- and accidentally knocks him on our trainer’s lap. So it was exactly what he said, it was an accident but it was almost fate. They show a shot of our bench, Cliff Levingston and Eddie Johnson are standing up giving each other high fives. It was pretty awesome.
https://vine.co/v/O9MWxH9pDpa
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Please find John Sterling's call of this game.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Why were they in New Orleans?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Ted Turner cash grab--they talk about it a little in the article.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

While the free throw numbers obviously affected things, I really enjoy how Dominique is credited with just two fewer FGA's than Bird in the box score.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”