Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

The Official Cookbook Thread ...

Post by mister d »

Lets see how this goes ...

Latest Read:
Portland, OR Spanish-ish restaurant that I didn't know about as of the last time I visited. Good read. Most chefs either come off as sugary-sweet humble or toeing the dick/arrogant versus passionate line, he avoid crossing over the line by just enough.

Current Read:
Haven't gotten far enough to give much of an opinion, but the voice is similar to Gorham's book above.

Latest Purchase:
Pasta-centric restaurant in SF. For the most part, my collection is either very niche specific (bread baking only, braising only) or chef's dropping all of their restaurant recipes in a book. This fits both.

Next Purchases:
Prominent Charleston, SC chef and owner of Husk. We picked the other restaurant at that level (Fig) when visiting and now I wish we'd just eaten two dinners or something.

Seattle chef, I want something very pacific-northwesty and this looks like a good option.

Oakland, CA soul food restaurant. Soul food is great.

Cuban food is great, there are no good Cuban cookbooks. Mojo is about the only thing I've made more than once and this recipe passed so it might finally do the trick.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: The Official Cookbook Thread ...

Post by govmentchedda »

I'll post ours when I get home.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We probably need a "Must Have" section too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

To be honest, I rarely follow recipes. I tend to cook the same things over and over, mostly because my wife isn't an adventurous eater and is pretty damn picky.

I have about 10 cookbooks, but I use these three the most:

The Joy of Cooking, 1975 edition:

Twenty by Michael Ruhlman:

The New Best Recipe:

I can honestly say just about everything I've made from The New Best Recipe has been outstanding. I made a chocolate cake using their recipe for a friend's party a few years ago, and I still get compliments about that cake.

I use The Joy of Cooking if I need the basics on how to prepare something I've never cooked before. And I use Twenty mostly so I can work on cooking skills.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, Twenty was a great knowledge-building read but I don't think I've looked at a single recipe from it. Ruhlman is a really, really good food writer.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't cook anywhere as much as I would like to. If I'm making, or especially baking, some classic I will usually hit up Joy of Cooking. For just about anything I just end up going to the internet and finding something that fits my preconceived notion of the dish. Most frequently used cookbook is one my mom made for my wife and I when we got married, full of stuff she (or my grandmothers) had spent the previous 25 years making for me. Awww.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Most cookbooks cost $20 - $30 but that one is priceless Rass!!!!!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Most Frequently Used:
New Orleans chef and owner of my favorite restaurant I've been to (Cochon). All the cajun staples done well without any ridiculous ingredients or sub-recipes.

Owns now 4 (I think) Flour shops in Boston. I have a massive crush on her.
(Although there are some non-major yet still annoying sizing issues here. A recipe for 12 muffins will almost always yield like 17 or something. Atleast it goes over, I guess.)

Entire book of Mexican sauces and salsas. Good next-step book.

Seemed like a really stupid thing to get a cookbook for but I had zero creativity when it came to salads. I'd try to do something different and before I knew it was making bleu cheese and toasting some nut and adding a lot of red onion all over again.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Due to the joy of baking.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote:Lets see how this goes ...

Latest Read:
Portland, OR Spanish-ish restaurant that I didn't know about as of the last time I visited. Good read. Most chefs either come off as sugary-sweet humble or toeing the dick/arrogant versus passionate line, he avoid crossing over the line by just enough.
Toro Bravo is awesome.

Here's a couple more from the Portland scene:

Mostly French-inspired cuisine. Incredible restaurant.

Ricker blew up by focussing more on street-style Thai. Has since expanded to NY.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I just cook whatever Alton Brown does. I'm a luddite.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Have both of those, PDX. Pok Pok is intimidating as fuck given the ingredients I've never used (or heard of) and my lack of a solid basis for "this seems right" w/ thai cooking.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I posted this in the videos thread, but it goes here too.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »