College Football November 2014

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: College Football November 2014

Post by Brontoburglar »

joeyclams wrote:
Weatherfrog wrote:So, um, Razorbacks. Another heartbreaker. Hogs would be 7-1-1 if games ended at halftime.
Too bad they don't. It's karma for how Bielema left Wisconsin. You can have him. We'll be just fine with Gary Anderson. Bielema will be looking for a new job in about 2 months.
Nah. Bielema has at least another year. Arkansas isn't going to make a change two years into his tenure.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
joeyclams wrote:
Weatherfrog wrote:So, um, Razorbacks. Another heartbreaker. Hogs would be 7-1-1 if games ended at halftime.
Too bad they don't. It's karma for how Bielema left Wisconsin. You can have him. We'll be just fine with Gary Anderson. Bielema will be looking for a new job in about 2 months.
Nah. Bielema has at least another year. Arkansas isn't going to make a change two years into his tenure.
Not only that, but Arkansas is getting demonstrably better. They'd probably win the Big Ten West in a walk. They just have the bad luck to be in the SEC West.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
joeyclams wrote:
Not only that, but Arkansas is getting demonstrably better. They'd probably win the Big Ten West in a walk. They just have the bad luck to be in the SEC West.
Yeah. Bielema had no clue they were gonna get drawn into the SEC west when he signed there.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not saying he didn't know, just that you can't judge a team or coach solely on its record, at least not in only its second year. He'll likely get at least four years, if only because I'm sure his buyout after two or three years is probably ridiculous anyway. I'd be shocked if Arkansas doesn't get at least 8 wins next season.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:I'm not saying he didn't know, just that you can't judge a team or coach solely on its record, at least not in only its second year. He'll likely get at least four years, if only because I'm sure his buyout after two or three years is probably ridiculous anyway. I'd be shocked if Arkansas doesn't get at least 8 wins next season.

Just being snarky. I think College coaches should get a minimum of four years to prove themselves.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think Arkansas should move to the Big XII.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yes. It's TMZ. Still. Jamies may be the biggest idiot in the history of college athletics if this has even a hint of truth.

It probably doesn't since that was from two days ago and this is the first I've heard of it. Because I'm clearly the NCAA news clearinghouse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A guy at work showed me that the other day. I have a hard time believing Winston would take that risk (losing the game, being criticized for poor play, committing a federal offense, etc.) to help a friend win $5500. Even if Winston got half of that, it doesn't make any sense, especially because you know he could easily get cash in Tallahassee if he wanted it.

Doesn't mean he didn't do it, but it just doesn't add up to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Yes. It's TMZ. Still. Jamies may be the biggest idiot in the history of college athletics if this has even a hint of truth.

It probably doesn't since that was from two days ago and this is the first I've heard of it. Because I'm clearly the NCAA news clearinghouse.
There were rumors a few days ago though nothing reported by anything even semi-reputable. I don't buy it. I'll try to dig up the link, but it was pretty throughly debunked by a big sports betting site as not be plausible based on how the game played out.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Yes. It's TMZ. Still. Jamies may be the biggest idiot in the history of college athletics if this has even a hint of truth.

There were rumors a few days ago though nothing reported by anything even semi-reputable. I don't buy it. I'll try to dig up the link, but it was pretty throughly debunked by a big sports betting site as not be plausible based on how the game played out.
And I believe the source is notorious for not ever getting anything correct.

I hate the internet sometimes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Didn't see this game as I was too busy watching Kyle Orton execute a crappy game plan - but this, this is unbelievable.

https://vine.co/v/O5ahH9FOVDJ
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote:Didn't see this game as I was too busy watching Kyle Orton execute a crappy game plan - but this, this is unbelievable.

You can just hear the girly grunt "uh!" as he released that ball.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Have we officially congratulated Unquestioned SEC Powerhouse Alabama on their 2 victories over ranked teams?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Didn't see this game as I was too busy watching Kyle Orton execute a crappy game plan - but this, this is unbelievable.

You can just hear the girly grunt "uh!" as he released that ball.
I am very curious to what exactly happened during practice that made the coaching staff believe this was a good idea.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

brian wrote:I'm not saying he didn't know, just that you can't judge a team or coach solely on its record, at least not in only its second year. He'll likely get at least four years, if only because I'm sure his buyout after two or three years is probably ridiculous anyway. I'd be shocked if Arkansas doesn't get at least 8 wins next season.
I tried not to think about college football last week since Hogs did not have a game.

I don't know a single Arkansas fan who is ready to get rid of Bert. He's got at least another year. He really needs to win one of his next three games though.

I am getting myself ready for another heartbreaking loss today. This is the sixth straight conference game against a ranked opponent, but the first one against a team that is not in the top 10. So, there's that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

for fuckssake - former ACC region hell - local CBS is showing the regional feed of UNC/Pitt, which still has 8 minutes to go in 4th quarter - which means we won't see most if not all of first quarter of Miss St/Bama.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

James Conner is more man than anyone you'll see in that SEC game.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote:for fuckssake - former ACC region hell - local CBS is showing the regional feed of UNC/Pitt, which still has 8 minutes to go in 4th quarter - which means we won't see most if not all of first quarter of Miss St/Bama.
In Miami, they switched over to the SEC game at 3:30 and moved the ACC game to a secondary channel
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

IN lexington they showed the bama game on the CW which is not HD. But I had UK-Tennessee to look forward to.

HOLY FUCKING SHITSTICKS.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:James Conner is more man than anyone you'll see in that SEC game.
I dunno. That was a pretty manly man game.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:IN lexington they showed the bama game on the CW which is not HD. But I had UK-Tennessee to look forward to.

HOLY FUCKING SHITSTICKS.
I'm baffled at the 180 the Wildcats have done
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:IN lexington they showed the bama game on the CW which is not HD. But I had UK-Tennessee to look forward to.

HOLY FUCKING SHITSTICKS.
I'm baffled at the 180 the Wildcats have done
I mean, if we had started 2-3 and were 5-6 now we'd be esctactic. But we have not progressed at all. Stagnated. I think there is a QB battle brewing int he spring.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I think Utah-Stanford set offensive football back a couple of decades.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bama in, TCU out, no?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:Bama in, TCU out, no?
The U looks about ready to shit this game away, so probably. Assuming the committee is reasonable about Miss St losing in Tuscaloosa.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Bama in, TCU out, no?
The U looks about ready to shit this game away, so probably. Assuming the committee is reasonable about Miss St losing in Tuscaloosa.
U is certainly not looking as confident as in the first half.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

FSU cannot be killed.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I can't recall a year where the Heisman race has been so muddy this late. People are saying Mariota by default, but I think it's going to be a very open race, especially with the gordon kid going off for 408.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This was written by a fake college football coach, but there's a lot of truth in it.

How to be a college football coach who doesn't get fired for a while.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, that was surprising. I actually give the AD some credit for making a decision and making it early regardless of whether it's the right decision. UVA did improve this year and they do have a lot of returning talent.

That said, the decision will go over a whole lot better if UVA beats Va Tech tomorrow.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I didn't realize he was only in his third year. Coming at it as an outsider I'd say he deserves a fourth year. You almost always gotta give a guy four years unless he's a real fuckup.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:I didn't realize he was only in his third year. Coming at it as an outsider I'd say he deserves a fourth year. You almost always gotta give a guy four years unless he's a real fuckup.
No, he's in his fifth year. We pretty much know who he is by now. I guess the hope is that he has better assistants now, except for the offensive coordinator, who seems lost. The thing is, London has been making great inroads into The Hokies lock on so much of the great in-state talent, particularly from the Tidewater area. With Tech really sliding, there may be a rare chance to take over as the preeminent state program and a coaching change would put that all at risk.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:I didn't realize he was only in his third year. Coming at it as an outsider I'd say he deserves a fourth year. You almost always gotta give a guy four years unless he's a real fuckup.
No, he's in his fifth year. We pretty much know who he is by now. I guess the hope is that he has better assistants now, except for the offensive coordinator, who seems lost. The thing is, London has been making great inroads into The Hokies lock on so much of the great in-state talent, particularly from the Tidewater area. With Tech really sliding, there may be a rare chance to take over as the preeminent state program and a coaching change would put that all at risk.
Gotcha. I thought it was three for some reason. But you're right. If they think there's a chance to usurp VT then it's worth giving him another year.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Second time in three years to Atlanta. Go figure.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats to any surely unbiased Y!Sports college football bloggers!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:Congrats to any surely unbiased Y!Sports college football bloggers!
I figure the last two years have been the reward for what's happened in my sports life previously. This is such a crazy, crazy roll.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Prediction on Alabama/Mizzou spread? I'm thinking Bama -20. Wonder what the largest CCG spread ever is?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know there's been quite a few in the 14-17 range. Not sure about any 20 or higher.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:I know there's been quite a few in the 14-17 range. Not sure about any 20 or higher.
What was Missouri/Oklahoma in 2008? My guess is that was pretty big. We went into that game knowing it'd be a blowout.