NFL Week 10

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

NFL Week 10

Post by A_B »

Who's going to the Bengals-Browns Thursday nighter? THIS GUY.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 10

Post by rass »

I can't make it this week, sorry!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:I can't make it this week, sorry!
Thanks for the heads up, though!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Who's going to the Bengals-Browns Thursday nighter? THIS GUY.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Browns currently undefeated with me in attendance. 2-0. Tim Couch beat the Texans in 2002 and Cleveland won 20-12 in 2008.

Bengals are 0-2 when I am in attendance...the aforementioned Browns loss and a loss later that season to the Ravens where a Bengals Lady(Questionable) Fan kept yelling "You fucking Cleveland Browns Faggot" every time Matt Stover stepped on the field. Which was quite a lot in a 34-3 win for the Ravens.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't like those trends. You should not attend.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Who's going to the Bengals-Browns Thursday nighter? THIS GUY.
When was the last time this game actually sounded somewhat appealing? I think it is this year. Somewhat, at least.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote:
When was the last time this game actually sounded somewhat appealing? I think it is this year. Somewhat, at least.
1988 was the last time these two met with over .500 records this late in the season.

1986 Week 15 was the last time they met this late in the season with first place at stake.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
1988 was the last time these two met with over .500 records this late in the season.

1986 Week 15 was the last time they met this late in the season with first place at stake.
Wow, that is what I was thinking, but I thought there must have been some point in between where they were both decent.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Wow, that is what I was thinking, but I thought there must have been some point in between where they were both decent.
Lost decade for Cincy started in 1991 and lasted until 2002. So those years are out. Since Browns came back and Marvin steered Bengals toward mediocre to frisky years the Browns have been good in 2007 (down year for Cincy) and maybe one other where Cincy was also not good. It has been a Buckeye state passing of cursed ships in the nights for a long time.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I would have guessed the Ohio sports town inferiority complex ran the other way.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I would have guessed the Ohio sports town inferiority complex ran the other way.
?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

tennbengal wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:I would have guessed the Ohio sports town inferiority complex ran the other way.
?
From the posts above it sounds like Cincinnati has a chip on its shoulder vs. Cleveland. I would have thought that with the Reds' championships, and the Bengals being (marginally) better than the Browns since around 1980, that it would have gone the other way. But maybe it's just a small sample size. (I've never been to Ohio, so wouldn't have any more insight than what others can provide.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

What chip? Was outlining why Bengals/Browns games haven't meant much (unless you are responding to AB's posts).

As for Bengals fans - 1990 was last playoff win as the talking heads point out ad naseum. That was a long time ago. Same year the Reds won a World Series. Hasn't been a lot of nipples and whipped cream for Cincinnati sports fans for a long time. Having said that, yes, Cleveland fans have had it worse. Regardless, it's two fanbases who generally always expect the worst (and are usually correct in doing so).
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

tennbengal wrote:What chip? Was outlining why Bengals/Browns games haven't meant much (unless you are responding to AB's posts).
Yeah, was referring more to the Wyche speech and AB's account of his game experiences.

Curious--do Cincinnati fans follow the Cavs? Or do they just elect to not give a shit about the NBA rather than support a Cleveland team?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
tennbengal wrote:What chip? Was outlining why Bengals/Browns games haven't meant much (unless you are responding to AB's posts).
Yeah, was referring more to the Wyche speech and AB's account of his game experiences.

Curious--do Cincinnati fans follow the Cavs? Or do they just elect to not give a shit about the NBA rather than support a Cleveland team?
But I'm a Browns fan!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Carwash wrote:

I don't know. When I left there (1995 was when I moved from Ohio), nobody gave much a shit about the NBA in the Cincinnati area. From what I can tell from Cincy sportstalk stations, still pretty much that way.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And AB is indeed a lost soul - Reds fan/Browns fan.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have updated my avatar to reflect the magnitude of this game.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The good thing is someone has to lose (figuring in the probability of a team having two ties in one season) but I'm not sure who I'd rather see lose.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:The good thing is someone has to lose (figuring in the probability of a team having two ties in one season) but I'm not sure who I'd rather see lose.
Probably Cincinnati as they would seem to have more talent and a better chance of winning the North.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So as a Steelers fan, the last few weeks have been bizarre and a great reminder about what's so fun about sports. Just about two weeks ago, the Steelers were 3-3, having lost 2 of 3 and were getting their asses kicked at home by the middling Houston Texans. It looked to all of the world like an era was ending. They were going to collapse to the bottom of the league and likely begin a massive rebuilding project, probably after firing Mike Tomlin. Dark days.

Then that crazy 3 minutes just before the half where they scored 3 touchdowns and improbably gained a lead on Houston. They played much better in the second half, as if those quirky turnovers lit a dormant fuse.

The next week, they blew out (sort of) the Colts who were possibly the hottest team in the NFL. Then again the next week against the Ravens, who I thought were the top team in the AFC North.

Their next two games are against teams with 3 wins between them. If they keep playing like this, they'll find themselves at 8-3 and probably in first place in the division.

Good times.

(of course, now they'll lose next weekend to the Jets)
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:The good thing is someone has to lose (figuring in the probability of a team having two ties in one season) but I'm not sure who I'd rather see lose.
I just hope AB has a good time and a safe trip there and back.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:So as a Steelers fan, the last few weeks have been bizarre and a great reminder about what's so fun about sports. Just about two weeks ago, the Steelers were 3-3, having lost 2 of 3 and were getting their asses kicked at home by the middling Houston Texans. It looked to all of the world like an era was ending. They were going to collapse to the bottom of the league and likely begin a massive rebuilding project, probably after firing Mike Tomlin. Dark days.

Then that crazy 3 minutes just before the half where they scored 3 touchdowns and improbably gained a lead on Houston. They played much better in the second half, as if those quirky turnovers lit a dormant fuse.

The next week, they blew out (sort of) the Colts who were possibly the hottest team in the NFL. Then again the next week against the Ravens, who I thought were the top team in the AFC North.

Their next two games are against teams with 3 wins between them. If they keep playing like this, they'll find themselves at 8-3 and probably in first place in the division.

Good times.

Three weeks ago, people on the Steelers message board were hellbent on rebuilding and starting that by trading Ben for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not much of an era that ends AFTER two missed playoff seasons.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Johnny Carwash wrote:From the posts above it sounds like Cincinnati has a chip on its shoulder vs. Cleveland. I would have thought that with the Reds' championships, and the Bengals being (marginally) better than the Browns since around 1980, that it would have gone the other way. But maybe it's just a small sample size. (I've never been to Ohio, so wouldn't have any more insight than what others can provide.)
I think most Browns fans consider the Bengals the lesser of their AFC North rivals. In terms of hatred, I'd say it's Ravens first, then Steelers and then the Bengals. This is a completely unscientific ranking.
Johnny Carwash wrote:Curious--do Cincinnati fans follow the Cavs? Or do they just elect to not give a shit about the NBA rather than support a Cleveland team?
Cincinnati is a college basketball town. I can't remember any time where Cincinnatians talked about the Cavs.
Jerloma wrote:Three weeks ago, people on the Steelers message board were hellbent on rebuilding and starting that by trading Ben for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
One of my colleagues is a Steelers fan, and she told me three weeks ago that she was "numb" to the team this year and had stopped watching them this year. When I saw her yesterday, she interrupted a meeting I was having with my boss to rave about the Steelers being on a roll. So, um, yeah, she's a great Steelers fan.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Shirley wrote:So as a Steelers fan, the last few weeks have been bizarre and a great reminder about what's so fun about sports. Just about two weeks ago, the Steelers were 3-3, having lost 2 of 3 and were getting their asses kicked at home by the middling Houston Texans. It looked to all of the world like an era was ending. They were going to collapse to the bottom of the league and likely begin a massive rebuilding project, probably after firing Mike Tomlin. Dark days.

Good times.

I think Ditka said something about them making the Super Bowl. Something along the lines of, "who cares about their defense, as long as their offense keeps scoring like this, they'll be in the super bowl." That's just me paraphrasing but i'm sure he said something like that.
Steelers have always been my second favorite team, I don't pretend to be a Pittsburgh fan when they win, but i do show my support. Gotta cheer for someone who wins stuff when your a Vikings fan.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ditka jokingly said "if they score 51 every week they'll make (the Super Bowl)".
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fitzpatrick benched?

Shocked I tell you, shocked.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Had a dream (vision?) that Johnny Football plays tonight.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AB_skin_test wrote:Had a dream (vision?) that Johnny Football plays tonight.
Hope not, because that means that something bad has happened.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

London games for 2015 announced and one is Lions vs. Chiefs, which bums me out a bit since I was going to go to Kansas City for that game. No Oklahoma Joe's for me <sad face>

(Others are Buffalo (at) Jacksonville and Jets (at) Miami.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That's too bad, because I heard London sucks.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is the kind of stuff I like about 538.

Easy to understand useful chart to determine which teams to root for to help your team's playoff (or division or top seed, etc.) chances.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:This is the kind of stuff I like about 538.

Easy to understand useful chart to determine which teams to root for to help your team's playoff (or division or top seed, etc.) chances.

Are there any great prospects entering the draft next year? If so, I want a graph charting the Jets chances. When you think about it, so much of a franchises' success comes from sucking in the right draft year. Look at the Colts. Peyton then Luck could give them decades of continuously excellent QBs. As opposed to so many teams drafting QBs every year that never pan out.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Should be a lot of demand in London for that Jax v. Buffalo game. (I wonder if the Brits wonder what a "Bill" is?)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:Should be a lot of demand in London for that Jax v. Buffalo game. (I wonder if the Brits wonder what a "Bill" is?)
Hey, now. It's the "Two Teams Who Play Home Games In A Foreign Country Bowl". If you can't sell that you can't sell anything.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote:
brian wrote:This is the kind of stuff I like about 538.

Are there any great prospects entering the draft next year? If so, I want a graph charting the Jets chances. When you think about it, so much of a franchises' success comes from sucking in the right draft year. Look at the Colts. Peyton then Luck could give them decades of continuously excellent QBs. As opposed to so many teams drafting QBs every year that never pan out.

Jameis.

(There are, this draft should be closer to last year's than 2013's, though the Jets killed it in 2013 weirdly).
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:

Jameis.

(There are, this draft should be closer to last year's than 2013's, though the Jets killed it in 2013 weirdly).
Isn't the kid from Oregon supposed to be a no brainer pick? Unlike Jameis who seems to have no brain.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

Jameis.

Isn't the kid from Oregon supposed to be a no brainer pick? Unlike Jameis who seems to have no brain.
Mariota. Yeah, he's supposedly a top 10 pick. Also Brett Hundley from UCLA. Should be some solid options there at QB for teams picking in the top 10. Hard not to imagine the Jets, Bucs and likely even Raiders, Titans and Rams in the market for a first round QB.