Post by sancarlos »

Good work, bfj
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: The Autism Thread

Post by Pruitt »

Father of the year.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So if my son is leaving his current high school, why is their school psychologist coming in to talk to him today? She's not his provider anymore, she never talked to him before, why bother now? There is no good reason why she needs to talk to my son. This is the kind of bullshit is that irks me. It's playing unnecessary games and my patience is about at its limit.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Covering their ass.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So better diagnosis these days? Environmental (toxic) impacts? Genetic pool problems?

Also other than a relative who lived there does everyone from my generation immediately think of the Little League World Series when Tom's River is mentioned?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm in the same boat. Uncle was from there, but also LLWS... Though the town probably stuck in my head because of the former, so...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

bfj wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 am Thanks for the love, it really does help since there aren't a whole lot of people I can talk about this with. My son is lucky to have my wife who is a special educator and a brilliant woman who doesn't tolerate fools (I'm the exception she makes). She knows what he's due and will accept nothing less. Without her, I think I'd be pretty lost and like many parents, trust the system to do the right thing. I really believe the only reason they are pushing this to Due Process instead of coming to a resolution is that they think that we will back off because of how expensive this can all be. It feels like a poker game where we have pushed all in and we just have to wait to see if they fold or play their cards.

My lawyer talked to Twatface's boss and he told us that he is intervening on his own and NOT by the request of his client (BCPS). Since he is so familiar with Max and our history with BCPS, he wanted to see if he could help find a resolution. Our attorney interprets that as he sees legal risk in their case and would like to find a solution, but he needs to convince his client of the same. They discussed what we want and Twatface's boss is going to take it to BCPS and see if there is a way for resolution.

I've become convinced that every system is designed to fuck one in one's metaphorical ass.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:29 am Also other than a relative who lived there does everyone from my generation immediately think of the Little League World Series when Tom's River is mentioned?
I also remember that the town lost a fairly significant number of residents in 9/11.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:29 am
So better diagnosis these days? Environmental (toxic) impacts? Genetic pool problems?

Also other than a relative who lived there does everyone from my generation immediately think of the Little League World Series when Tom's River is mentioned?
Yes, yes (although Utah had a pretty high prevalence also a few years back), probably.

Was that the team w Drury on it?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:30 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:29 am

Yes, yes (although Utah had a pretty high prevalence also a few years back), probably.

Was that the team w Drury on it?
No that was Trumble, CT and a kid on hall first year in college was on that team.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Here we go again.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Aw, jeez. Good luck, man.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good luck. Hopefully BFJ will stand for Boy (who has a) Favorable Judge as soon as the process begins.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man, good luck
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:45 pm Image

Here we go again.
We lost our case. Fuck these people.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, man. Fuck them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry to hear, BFJ.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fuck that shit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I'm sorry, BFJ.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeh that sucks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuckers
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, that is frustrating. I'm really sorry.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Really awful to hear this news man.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shit. I’m sorry to hear this.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:40 pm
Not reading that and not at all surprised.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm absolutely not reading that. I just don't understand how humans get like that.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So Max turned 19 yesterday. Not a great first half to his big day. He is a very lonely kid who doesn’t have a ton of friends to hang out with. The kids he wants to hang with aren’t autistic and they don’t really want to hang w my kid. It’s very sad and all he wanted yesterday was to have friends call or come over and wish him a happy birthday. So he was really frustrated about that.

He was also pissed because he didn’t get any of what was on his list that he wanted. A few months ago, he broke his personal laptop. I allowed him to use one of my work spares for the time being, but we decided to buy him a new one for his birthday. He had given me a list of Pokémon stuff he wanted on Amazon and I audibled. Big mistake. And one I knew I shouldn’t have made. I was counting on him being so excited by the laptop that he’d forget it his Pokémon shit. I was wrong. I take the L on that one.

So the morning absolutely sucked for all of us. He was pissed and we kept trying to get him to turn it around, but he was not having it. That wears on all of us.

As the day went on, he calmed down. We started to figure out the new computer. He was ok. Still very sad. He even told us he didn’t want to go to Cheesecake Factory for dinner and that is a Max bday tradition. We got him to agree to go. He cheered up more when he got his own plate of nachos (who wouldn’t).

Everything improved at the end of the night after dinner though. To read more take it to the Proud Parent Thread.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does anyone have any experience with the "Spell to Communicate" therapy?

My GF and her ex have been talking to people about a new living situation for their daughter Kelsey, and a couple of the families they've spoken to told them about the program, and she's been doing some research and hearing all kinds of conflicting things.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:23 pm So Max turned 19 yesterday. Not a great first half to his big day. He is a very lonely kid who doesn’t have a ton of friends to hang out with. The kids he wants to hang with aren’t autistic and they don’t really want to hang w my kid. It’s very sad and all he wanted yesterday was to have friends call or come over and wish him a happy birthday. So he was really frustrated about that.

He was also pissed because he didn’t get any of what was on his list that he wanted. A few months ago, he broke his personal laptop. I allowed him to use one of my work spares for the time being, but we decided to buy him a new one for his birthday. He had given me a list of Pokémon stuff he wanted on Amazon and I audibled. Big mistake. And one I knew I shouldn’t have made. I was counting on him being so excited by the laptop that he’d forget it his Pokémon shit. I was wrong. I take the L on that one.

So the morning absolutely sucked for all of us. He was pissed and we kept trying to get him to turn it around, but he was not having it. That wears on all of us.

As the day went on, he calmed down. We started to figure out the new computer. He was ok. Still very sad. He even told us he didn’t want to go to Cheesecake Factory for dinner and that is a Max bday tradition. We got him to agree to go. He cheered up more when he got his own plate of nachos (who wouldn’t).

Everything improved at the end of the night after dinner though. To read more take it to the Proud Parent Thread.
I must have missed this when you posted it, BFJ. This story definitely resonated. I love that your older son stepped in to make it a really good day. Making friends is so hard for autistic kids. And once they're that age, it's hard for parents to help. So when a genuine non-parent-involved interaction happens, it just means so much more - even if it is his brother and his friends. I bet Max loved that.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:52 pm Does anyone have any experience with the "Spell to Communicate" therapy?

My GF and her ex have been talking to people about a new living situation for their daughter Kelsey, and a couple of the families they've spoken to told them about the program, and she's been doing some research and hearing all kinds of conflicting things.
I'm going to bump this thread again to ask if anyone has any experience with the "spell to communicate" therapy...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Really cute story in this morning's Seattle Times about an Editorial editor's son with autism and a former Special Ed teacher playing Santa:

A sweet reunion with Santa confirms he’s the real deal
Kev is a Christmas guy. Around 2007 — he would have been 10 — he met the real-deal Santa. We were shopping for poinsettias at Molbak’s Garden + Home in Woodinville when a Nordic-attired Santa approached and introduced himself. Eyes wide with a grin ear to ear, Kev reached out and grasped Santa’s hand and held on to it. I mean, actual Santa’s actual hand.

In a side conversation, Santa John, as he is known, told me he was a retired special-ed teacher. Who knew? That training explains why he understood Kevin in ways most people don’t, and why Kevin reacted so openly. Kev talked about it for days. Such a gift, and every year since. My husband once sent the Molbak’s bosses an email about the effect these visits have on our son. And Santa himself wrote back.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

that's a good one Dave, thanks. I need to read more stories like this.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:31 pm Really cute story in this morning's Seattle Times about an Editorial editor's son with autism and a former Special Ed teacher playing Santa:

A sweet reunion with Santa confirms he’s the real deal
Kev is a Christmas guy. Around 2007 — he would have been 10 — he met the real-deal Santa. We were shopping for poinsettias at Molbak’s Garden + Home in Woodinville when a Nordic-attired Santa approached and introduced himself. Eyes wide with a grin ear to ear, Kev reached out and grasped Santa’s hand and held on to it. I mean, actual Santa’s actual hand.

In a side conversation, Santa John, as he is known, told me he was a retired special-ed teacher. Who knew? That training explains why he understood Kevin in ways most people don’t, and why Kevin reacted so openly. Kev talked about it for days. Such a gift, and every year since. My husband once sent the Molbak’s bosses an email about the effect these visits have on our son. And Santa himself wrote back.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn, Dave. I'm a mess now! Great story.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

no such thing
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's a band down here named Too Many Daves.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 am There's a band down here named Too Many Daves.
I played on an Ultimate team in the Chicago Summer League many years ago called "Too Many Daves" (I think we had 5 or 6 Daves on the team)