The Autism Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: The Autism Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:48 am Damn, Dave. I'm a mess now! Great story.
Yeah, the GF was pretty choked up reading it yesterday morning.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So I haven't given a Max update in a while. As you would remember, the school system and the Family BFJ haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye through the years about Max's education and how it should be handled. Last year we reached a boiling point with them and told them in no uncertain terms that Max wasn't returning to their buildings and that between his parents and the behavioral team that we put together, we would start to figure out how to spend the next two years in the school system getting him ready to transition out of the school system and into the real world. They weren't teaching him job skills or social skills or life skills anyway, so why bother sending him to a building that has nothing but negative energy and frustration for my son?

So we threatened to sue for due process, again. But this time the county didn't want to fight. They came to the table and after a long back and forth we signed an agreement today that lets Team Max plan his transition out of the school system at 21. I never have to sit in another IEP meeting and that is HUGE, as long as they hold up their end of the legal agreement.

So we found him jobs. He is working at a local pizza shop we love (volunteer) and at the Cheesecake Factory (getting minimum wage) a few hours a week, just to start learning what working is like. It lets him interact with the public in a real world setting that can't really be replicated anywhere else. He has a job coach, who is from the behavior team and all they do is sit back, help him focus and reward him with his breaks. He has two other opportunities lined up with a restaurant that we frequent (they love him) and a cookie manufacturer (the owner is related to someone on the behavior team).They will hopefully get started by the start of 2024.

He is happy. A lot less stressed every day. He still has his struggles. As he always will. But this is a good post, which don't happen often enough in this thread.

Image Image
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

That's awesome, BFJ.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

that is, indeed, the good stuff, BFJ.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Awesome news, BFJ. Glad you were able to persevere and get what’s best for Max.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Great work Max and Team BFJ!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's really great to read, BFJ.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Fantastic news, BFJ. Thanks for the update, it's great to hear.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yay, Max! So glad to hear all of this, especially after all of the headaches you've been through.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

God, that's so good to see, it's getting dusty in here.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

nice
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

So great.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That’s great bfj
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, bfj!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

oh man. real-swamp-hitting-me-in-the-feels.

bfj this is great and i'm beaming looking at those pictures - congrats. gotta celebrate these moments.
bfj wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:42 pm So I haven't given a Max update in a while. As you would remember, the school system and the Family BFJ haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye through the years about Max's education and how it should be handled. Last year we reached a boiling point with them and told them in no uncertain terms that Max wasn't returning to their buildings and that between his parents and the behavioral team that we put together, we would start to figure out how to spend the next two years in the school system getting him ready to transition out of the school system and into the real world. They weren't teaching him job skills or social skills or life skills anyway, so why bother sending him to a building that has nothing but negative energy and frustration for my son?

So we threatened to sue for due process, again. But this time the county didn't want to fight. They came to the table and after a long back and forth we signed an agreement today that lets Team Max plan his transition out of the school system at 21. I never have to sit in another IEP meeting and that is HUGE, as long as they hold up their end of the legal agreement.

So we found him jobs. He is working at a local pizza shop we love (volunteer) and at the Cheesecake Factory (getting minimum wage) a few hours a week, just to start learning what working is like. It lets him interact with the public in a real world setting that can't really be replicated anywhere else. He has a job coach, who is from the behavior team and all they do is sit back, help him focus and reward him with his breaks. He has two other opportunities lined up with a restaurant that we frequent (they love him) and a cookie manufacturer (the owner is related to someone on the behavior team).They will hopefully get started by the start of 2024.

He is happy. A lot less stressed every day. He still has his struggles. As he always will. But this is a good post, which don't happen often enough in this thread.

Image Image
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That is awesome. Whenever I get a chance to get to Baltimore, Max is making my pizza!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Great to read, buddy!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

That's great, BFJ.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is great to hear.
Canadian International
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great work, BFJ, and congratulations to Max! I'm really sorry to hear about the school/IEP troubles, but I'm glad that you seem to have found a workable solution. I'm listening to my wife in the other room right now on the call with a parent (I think) talking about managing school services for a special needs kid. It can be difficult even in the best school systems.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bfj gonna make max into a Jamaican... He got four jobs, mon. Nice pics
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Slimming Down Chosen-friend, if you can check your PMs I sent you a message.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am Slimming Down Chosen-friend, if you can check your PMs I sent you a message.
Responded
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Love this kid. He and Max were classmates for a while. I asked him to throw out a first pitch at a class A game our org attended a few years back. He called when when he got the first pitch call from the O’s and told me he was getting “called up”!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's so cool, bfj.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 am That's so cool, bfj.
Couldn’t happen to a better kid/family. On a personal note, I’m pretty pumped to be onfield for BP today. Never done that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bringing a glove?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:46 am Love this kid. He and Max were classmates for a while. I asked him to throw out a first pitch at a class A game our org attended a few years back. He called when when he got the first pitch call from the O’s and told me he was getting “called up”!
Well that's just awesome. Good for you, bfj, and good for the Os.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's so awesome, for the kid and for you, BFJ.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Like a dream come true. Fantastic!
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That is super cool!

We are taking Caity's daughter Kelsey to a "Sensory-Friendly" performance of "Aladdin" tomorrow afternoon.

What makes it "sensory friendly":
THEATRE MODIFICATIONS

• ASL available for this performance
• Lower sound level
• Lights remain on at a low level in the theatre during the performance
• A reduction of strobe lighting or lighting focused on the audience
• Patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance
• Designated quiet and activity areas within the theatre
• Space throughout the theatre for standing and movement
• Guidance and sensory supports (fidgets, earplugs, noise cancelling ear-muffs) available in the lobby before the show
• Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort objects, and extra support items to the show
• Use of tablets, smart phones, and other electronic devices can be used with headphones during the performance
• Extra staff and volunteer support
• STG staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to families' needs
• Specialized therapists will be assigned to every floor to support families in need
Hopefully Kelsey enjoys it...we are fully prepared to leave at any time if it proves to be too much for her.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good on that theatre!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 am That is super cool!

We are taking Caity's daughter Kelsey to a "Sensory-Friendly" performance of "Aladdin" tomorrow afternoon.

What makes it "sensory friendly":
THEATRE MODIFICATIONS

• ASL available for this performance
• Lower sound level
• Lights remain on at a low level in the theatre during the performance
• A reduction of strobe lighting or lighting focused on the audience
• Patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance
• Designated quiet and activity areas within the theatre
• Space throughout the theatre for standing and movement
• Guidance and sensory supports (fidgets, earplugs, noise cancelling ear-muffs) available in the lobby before the show
• Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort objects, and extra support items to the show
• Use of tablets, smart phones, and other electronic devices can be used with headphones during the performance
• Extra staff and volunteer support
• STG staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to families' needs
• Specialized therapists will be assigned to every floor to support families in need
Hopefully Kelsey enjoys it...we are fully prepared to leave at any time if it proves to be too much for her.
These can be great. AMC Movie chains also has a schedule of sensory friendly movies. I'm sure Caity knows about them. These plays and productions are great for those that need that special accommodation. Max doesn't really dig them because the people who need to be able to be loud There is a dinner theatre in MD that is putting on the same production here. We were promoting it on our social media.

I've gone to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra a number of times about putting on sensory friendly performances like the Boston Pops and other orchestras do, but they want a LOT of money for that and it just isn't in our budget to do it. It is frustrating, because I know it would do well. Music is a real connector for people and autistic people are no different.
Last edited by bfj on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of a threadjack, but I want to see the play consisting solely of autistic actors in New York. Really cool story and the few numbers I heard were catchy AH.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 pm Kind of a threadjack, but I want to see the play consisting solely of autistic actors in New York. Really cool story and the few numbers I heard were catchy AH.
How to Dance in Ohio opened at the start of this year and it closed already. Didn't last long.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Aw man. Bummer. They sure got a nice media pop. Saw/heard 3 or 4 separate stories on that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

All great stuff in this thread today, except for the show closing early. This thread is always a gamble, don't know if you are getting heartwarming stories, or angry.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Tell me you've got photos. Strike that. Show me your photos, bfj.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »