Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by EdRomero »

Even though I feel positive about students getting more progressive about gender and sex, and can't get past how toxic it still is. Looking back, you could say gay marriage being legalized was predicated by a growing generation not as I homophobic as what we grew up in, and maybe that pattern will follow for more improvements. It's just the loud Trumpian/FoxNews/Facebook crowd that scares me. At first I didn't want to throw transphobia in with Trumpism because I know they're not all the same, but then I thought of the Curt Schilling/Ben Shapiro Trumpists, and it's awful, and they'll continue to be awful. With a conservative court and conservatives holding onto power (while successfully whitewashing impeachments and treasonous tryannical insurrections), what happens to these tolerant students when they leave school?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

They get older? I tolerate less and less BS everyday. And while the liberals are on the right side of this morality debate they do have a way of shoving bullsh it down your throat. Trans/homo phobia? A phobia? Come on.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not sure trans-bigotry would be any better embraced.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:05 pm Trans/homo phobia? A phobia? Come on.
Yes. 100% fucking yes. It's. A. Thing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:05 pm Trans/homo phobia? A phobia? Come on.
Yes. 100% fucking yes. It's. A. Thing.
If you weren’t somehow afraid of it why else the fuck would you care what someone else does with their own bodies between condensing adults?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:05 pm They get older? I tolerate less and less BS everyday. And while the liberals are on the right side of this morality debate they do have a way of shoving bullsh it down your throat. Trans/homo phobia? A phobia? Come on.
One of my best friend’s kid was born a boy and is really a girl. If you knew 1/10th of the bullshit she’s put up with in her life, you would eat your words.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

It's not a phobia. Stop already. Plain old ignorance and hatred. Driven primarily by closeted folk and people who have been taught it's religiously immoral since their birth.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:23 pm It's not a phobia. Stop already. Plain old ignorance and hatred. Driven primarily by closeted folk and people who have been taught it's religiously immoral since their birth.
The semantics of what word to use distracts from the point that trans are too often treated horribly -- I don't care what you call it but for that to be the one word in my paragraph to linger on is missing my point. And I agree with you about the ignorance and hatred part, but when you have lawmakers lying about how guys are gonna dress up as women so they can rape your daughters in restrooms, there is a phobia even if it's based on ignorance and lies.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The neighbors across the street have had a dunk tank at their house for a couple days for some sort of gathering today (they put up a tent in their front yard last night).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I couldn't find an OFFICIAL LYING SPOUSES thread but do you ever think that when your spouse tells you they were patient enough this AM to wait for the dog to shit that maybe they were lying and your evidence is that he shit his crate for the first time in like 6 months and your corroborating evidence is that she chose to clean the crate without any complaining or debating?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:29 pm I couldn't find an OFFICIAL LYING SPOUSES thread but do you ever think that when your spouse tells you they were patient enough this AM to wait for the dog to shit that maybe they were lying and your evidence is that he shit his crate for the first time in like 6 months and your corroborating evidence is that she chose to clean the crate without any complaining or debating?
If that's your biggest marital complaint, you should just be quiet and count your blessings.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Is The Guardian criticizing Paw Patrol? And, is it Pruitt’s fault?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:26 pm Is The Guardian criticizing Paw Patrol? And, is it Pruitt’s fault?
Shit like this came out when the show first took off, but it kind of felt tongue in cheek.

Now it's a bit of a trope among the intelligentsia who went to film school. Meaning anyone who writes in the Guardian's arts section.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Liberty is a decent enough character, although why this streetwise ragamuffin would yearn to join the ranks of these narcs is unclear.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 am The neighbors across the street have had a dunk tank at their house for a couple days for some sort of gathering today (they put up a tent in their front yard last night).
The company next to where I work had a dunk tank at their office party last week and were dunking their bosses. We had a kickoff event that same day for our 5K run and our Executive Director said if we raised $500 in donations, she would go in also. We raised over $1000 and she got dunked multiple times.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:15 am Liberty is a decent enough character, although why this streetwise ragamuffin would yearn to join the ranks of these narcs is unclear.
A sort of Ayn Randian objectivism prevails in the film, visible most queasily when Chase (the most cop-like of the lot, in his blue uniform and police car) is told that he was “born to be a hero”.
If I was the type who was easily offended (I was before the heart attack!), I'd send a snarky email to the Guardian's Arts editor pointing out that applying a 30 year old's sensibility to a kids' show leads to bogus comments like these.

I mean, it's a movie and a show for 6 year olds. What are you supposed to do, have Chase pummelled by activists?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Have Kennel Jenner hand him a Pupsi.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Paw Patrol with a shout out in the Ted Lasso Christmas episode!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:13 pm Have Kennel Jenner hand him a Pupsi.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ve n vet seen paw patrol. But a characters name is chase? Is there a fetch? What about sit? Speak? Heel?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I also think phobia is probably the wrong word and probably prohibits growth in discussions between the 2 camps. Transphobic doesn't seem to be a particularly appropriate buzzword and it doesn't seem to fit the traditional definition of phobic without severe leaps in logic.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:45 pm I also think phobia is probably the wrong word and probably prohibits growth in discussions between the 2 camps. Transphobic doesn't seem to be a particularly appropriate buzzword and it doesn't seem to fit the traditional definition of phobic without severe leaps in logic.
The “camp” that hates trans persons for whatever shitty justification they want to muster can go fuck itself.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:51 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:45 pm I also think phobia is probably the wrong word and probably prohibits growth in discussions between the 2 camps. Transphobic doesn't seem to be a particularly appropriate buzzword and it doesn't seem to fit the traditional definition of phobic without severe leaps in logic.
The “camp” that hates trans persons for whatever shitty justification they want to muster can go fuck itself.
With a rusty pipe
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Wait. How is say, agoraphobia a more traditional disorder than transphobia?

They both represent irrational fear. What leaps in logic must one make?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Crowds don’t feel less than when you don’t like them.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:37 pm Crowds don’t feel less than when you don’t like them.
But is that relevant to the phobia, itself? Transphobia is type of xenophobia, no?
Noli Timere Messorem
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brian wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:51 pm
just because they are shitty people doesn't make them afraid. Thats my point. Not liking something isn't a fear. Im not on an anti trans agenda here i just dislike a word
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I got that, I’m just tired of being told that we need to listen to the concerns of fascists or anti-vaxxers* or transphobics or homophobics, etc.

You can’t negotiate with ignorance and coddling these people and making them think their beliefs are at all valid in a civilized society is a big reason we are where we are. They should be shunned and ignored.

*Not talking about the COVID vaccine necessarily just people whose default position is ignorantly anti-vaccine.A little skepticism is healthy. Ignoring 75 years of medical data is ignorant.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sorry TT but you don't get to decide what words mean. Just because it "May" not mean fear (but you'd be be surprised how much fear there is, I think) the word is the word and that's how it is used in society and how it's defined in the dictionary. You go into it with a semantics argument and you've already lost.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:53 am Sorry TT but you don't get to decide what words mean. Just because it "May" not mean fear (but you'd be be surprised how much fear there is, I think) the word is the word and that's how it is used in society and how it's defined in the dictionary. You go into it with a semantics argument and you've already lost.
"we need to use a different word" isn't a semantics argument it's just a point I'm making that doesn't impact the overall discussion
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was in a meeting today with a couple dozen people for this base exercise coming up.

The briefer was taking roll call and asked my coworker, the primary point of contact for my squadron, who the alternate is. He gives him my name. The briefer notes I'm present and asks me to spell my name. I do.

Then he was like, "And your rank, is it Master Sergeant or...?"

I said, "Nope. Tech Sergeant."

He goes, "Ah, but next year for sure, Master Sergeant," being kind and courteous.

I said, "Nope. Retired."

The room laughed. The briefer said, "Nice. Fair enough." And I felt good about that entire exchange.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

TT2.0 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:53 am Sorry TT but you don't get to decide what words mean. Just because it "May" not mean fear (but you'd be be surprised how much fear there is, I think) the word is the word and that's how it is used in society and how it's defined in the dictionary. You go into it with a semantics argument and you've already lost.
"we need to use a different word" isn't a semantics argument it's just a point I'm making that doesn't impact the overall discussion
That's almost the exact definition of arguing semantics. You're saying that the meaning of the word isn't right for the context, but that's how it has been widely accepted for use. Not all tissues are Kleenex, but all kleenex are tissues. If you say hand me a kleenex, everyone knows what you mean and don't say, "well, these are Puffs, so you're out of luck."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We've toyed with moving a few times over the last year, most notably to Denver where my wife was a finalist for a position there. We've pretty much settled on not leaving in the next 12 years now due to our amazing friends. It seems every school year my wife is making friends with other parents (no jokes) who end up being pretty great. Then we have our close group of friends where most of us have kids the same age or close. And some of you have no idea how cool it is going to a dance recital with a guy you've known since kindergarten who has a girl the same age. Or the girl who literally wouldn't be a thing had my wife and I not introduced them. The thought of us stepping away from that is unfathomable to us...mostly.

After all this Delta stuff and our Lt. Gov's ridiculously racist remarks today, I find myself praying that each text message I get from the group text is someone saying they're moving. We talked on the way back home from our last trip and concluded that might be the one way to get us out of here. Someone else pop the balloon and we'd feel more comfortable moving. There's honestly really not a chance of that happening either since most of us are rooted here in one way or another.

Just needed to vent really. I love so so much about Texas. But it's becoming harder to stay here. And harder knowing I doubt we'll ever be brave enough to make that leap. Maybe after all of our parents are gone. Maybe there's a silent pissed off majority out there that can't fucking wait to vote for Matthew McConaughey? That's what I'm hitchin' my saddle to, sadly.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm We've toyed with moving a few times over the last year, most notably to Denver where my wife was a finalist for a position there. We've pretty much settled on not leaving in the next 12 years now due to our amazing friends. It seems every school year my wife is making friends with other parents (no jokes) who end up being pretty great. Then we have our close group of friends where most of us have kids the same age or close. And some of you have no idea how cool it is going to a dance recital with a guy you've known since kindergarten who has a girl the same age. Or the girl who literally wouldn't be a thing had my wife and I not introduced them. The thought of us stepping away from that is unfathomable to us...mostly.

After all this Delta stuff and our Lt. Gov's ridiculously racist remarks today, I find myself praying that each text message I get from the group text is someone saying they're moving. We talked on the way back home from our last trip and concluded that might be the one way to get us out of here. Someone else pop the balloon and we'd feel more comfortable moving. There's honestly really not a chance of that happening either since most of us are rooted here in one way or another.

Just needed to vent really. I love so so much about Texas. But it's becoming harder to stay here. And harder knowing I doubt we'll ever be brave enough to make that leap. Maybe after all of our parents are gone. Maybe there's a silent pissed off majority out there that can't fucking wait to vote for Matthew McConaughey? That's what I'm hitchin' my saddle to, sadly.
We're the east coast version of this (Tampa to just outside of Asheville), with the added complication that I'd have to take the North Carolina bar or keep practicing in Florida and travel when necessary, although once COVID is over I expect I won't be able to work via Zoom nearly as much.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You can’t just waive into North Carolina?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:27 pm You can’t just waive into North Carolina?
Nope. Generally because Florida doesn't let anyone waive in. Since we don't want everyone "retiring" here and still continuing to practice other states give FL attorneys the same lack of reciprocity. To be fair though, that's just my understanding. I haven't really looked into it. I also have an ongoing business here and getting a NC firm to the same level as the FL firm is would be a really hard thing to do.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had a dream last night that the company I’m starting at here in a week or so hit big and I took my equity and retired to Asheville.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:16 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:27 pm You can’t just waive into North Carolina?
Nope. Generally because Florida doesn't let anyone waive in. Since we don't want everyone "retiring" here and still continuing to practice other states give FL attorneys the same lack of reciprocity. To be fair though, that's just my understanding. I haven't really looked into it. I also have an ongoing business here and getting a NC firm to the same level as the FL firm is would be a really hard thing to do.
I didn’t know that about Florida. I thought it was like Delaware in that there were very North Carolina-specific laws, like around furniture manufacturing or pirate salvages.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff, regarding Covid and politics, I’m sad to say that it looks like Grand Junction has become part of Texas.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:24 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm We've toyed with moving a few times over the last year, most notably to Denver where my wife was a finalist for a position there. We've pretty much settled on not leaving in the next 12 years now due to our amazing friends. It seems every school year my wife is making friends with other parents (no jokes) who end up being pretty great. Then we have our close group of friends where most of us have kids the same age or close. And some of you have no idea how cool it is going to a dance recital with a guy you've known since kindergarten who has a girl the same age. Or the girl who literally wouldn't be a thing had my wife and I not introduced them. The thought of us stepping away from that is unfathomable to us...mostly.

We're the east coast version of this (Tampa to just outside of Asheville), with the added complication that I'd have to take the North Carolina bar or keep practicing in Florida and travel when necessary, although once COVID is over I expect I won't be able to work via Zoom nearly as much.
I've talked about the crazy 'hood I live in here in MoCo a lot. We are probably a couple degrees lower than you, Giff, but...

When we talked about moving/downsizing right before COVID last year, our friend group (6 couples/families) really thought we had gone crazy. There was definitely a lot of incredulity from everyone... "You're gonna leave?" We are glad that we pulled back, because the adult children needed a place to stay. These folks all think we pulled back because of peer pressure, which is pretty funny/annoying.

As soon as the kids are settled into their own groove (within 2-3 years, we reckon), we are truly out of here. As much as I love these folks, the idea of living near the water in NC, or, more likely, somewhere out in Colorado is just too appealing.

Life is short, man. These are nice people, but my wife and I are very much a contained unit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.