Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:25 pm Giff, regarding Covid and politics, I’m sad to say that it looks like Grand Junction has become part of Texas.
Yeah, that sucks. Not surprising.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pretty much everyone I talk to in my area plans on leaving as soon as the kids are out of the house. My town is very much a commuter town to NYC (direct train in town) and the taxes are insanely high. Town Lifers aside, the majority of people move here for the schools and shockingly, lower taxes than a lot of neighboring towns. My wife grew up 10 minutes away and her parents are still in the same house, but I can't see them staying much longer. Her sister is about 15 minutes away, but we barely ever see them, and her kids are the same age, so once the kids are grown, I think we'll see even less of her. My wife always planned on moving back to NYC, but I have a feeling we'll go somewhere warmer, slower, and less densely populated. While I've never been to Asheville, everything I know about it makes me think I'd absolutely love it there. Ultimately, I'm sure it'll come down to moving for a job for one of us.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Probably the only reason we've lasted in Utah as long as we have is that the legislature is only in session 45 days per year. So most of the time, and until Covid, the batshit craziness hasn't been right in our faces.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A lot of my friends hereabouts plan to leave when they retire. Not because they don’t love the town or area. But because they can sell their house here and pay cash to buy a really nice, less expensive home, elsewhere.

I used to be of that mind, but the more I think about it, the less I want to move away.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:55 pm A lot of my friends hereabouts plan to leave when they retire. Not because they don’t love the town or area. But because they can sell their house here and pay cash to buy a really nice, less expensive home, elsewhere.

I used to be of that mind, but the more I think about it, the less I want to move away.
I'd love to move to your area, but it's one of the few places even more expensive...
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:25 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:55 pm A lot of my friends hereabouts plan to leave when they retire. Not because they don’t love the town or area. But because they can sell their house here and pay cash to buy a really nice, less expensive home, elsewhere.

I'd love to move to your area, but it's one of the few places even more expensive...
Yeah, I get that. But, you can always come visit!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:28 pm

I'm way overdue! Stupid company severely limiting travel to basically urgent sales visits and emergency reasons. I'm not even allowed to go onsite to present to clients within driving distance. I don't disagree with the decision, just frustrated. And recently confirmed my trip to Denver is cancelled. It's a shame, hotel was right in the middle of a (seemingly) really cool area. There are over 80 breweries or Brewpubs in Denver! And about 10 dispensaries a short walk from the hotel.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Write this in pencil, sancarlos: Nov 8 - Monday Night Football - Chicago at Pittsburgh

Possibly your chance to witness me snark the Bears in person.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, leaving tomorrow to visit some people, including my mom for about three days while she wraps up her current stay in a rehabilitation facility (she heads home the same day we do).

Is it a good sign that I got rear-ended today just over a half-mile from home (no injuries in either vehicle, my car just dented, officer on scene used the phrase "at fault" to describe the other driver)?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just sliced open an overripe peach and my t-shirt looks like Tim Roth's at the end of Reservoir Dogs.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:27 pm

I'm way overdue! Stupid company severely limiting travel to basically urgent sales visits and emergency reasons. I'm not even allowed to go onsite to present to clients within driving distance. I don't disagree with the decision, just frustrated. And recently confirmed my trip to Denver is cancelled. It's a shame, hotel was right in the middle of a (seemingly) really cool area. There are over 80 breweries or Brewpubs in Denver! And about 10 dispensaries a short walk from the hotel.
RINO?

As mentioned elsewhere, we are headed out there at the end of this week. Really nice "cabin" outside of Estes Park and then Denver the following week. Staying in RINO district in a three story VRBO joint.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:27 pm

RINO?

As mentioned elsewhere, we are headed out there at the end of this week. Really nice "cabin" outside of Estes Park and then Denver the following week. Staying in RINO district in a three story VRBO joint.
Looks like it's on the edge of RINO and Central Business District. I just really want to see Denver, seems like a really cool city. One of my best friends growing up who also went to the same college is in Denver, haven't seen him in about 10 years and the couple who introduced me and my wife (in connection through Flaco) are also in Denver and I haven't seen them in even longer. So fed up with COVID. My parents were planning a visit for the weekend after school starts, and I'm not sure I feel comfortable exposing them to my kids after they are in school for a week. My kids and parents are all vaccinated, but my parents were very early on, so I'm worried about effectiveness diminishing. I'd feel better if we went a week or two and saw few cases.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

whoo! i got a mention!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

On your way down from Estes swing into Nederland by CO-7 rather than taking 36 into Boulder. Knotted Root brewing in Ned is producing some of the best beer in the state. Plus the BBQ joint in town is pretty good.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:13 pm
On your way down from Estes swing into Nederland by CO-7 rather than taking 36 into Boulder. Knotted Root brewing in Ned is producing some of the best beer in the state. Plus the BBQ joint in town is pretty good.
Someone at that brewery is clearly from NJ. They have an IPA called "Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese, salt, pepper, ketchup."

Random thought: There is no place for ketchup on a Taylor Ham egg and cheese.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In terms of people who don't completely avoid ketchup, I'm in like the 10th percentile of actual usage. That type of sandwich is one of my uses. Basic egg sandwiches in general need that little hit of sweetness.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:13 pm
Been to Nederland... Interesting vibe when we were there. Sort of crusty reception from some of the locals. I like the idea of heading down 7 and would like to give the town another shot. My BIL lived out there and said they host a really funky music festival (I think?)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:37 pm In terms of people who don't completely avoid ketchup, I'm in like the 10th percentile of actual usage. That type of sandwich is one of my uses. Basic egg sandwiches in general need that little hit of sweetness.
At home, I'll put hot sauce on eggs. Some sauces provide a touch of sweet, and if not, the heat fills that void for me. I just realized that at a bagel shop or deli I don't use hot sauce, but fuck ketchup on that sandwich. Just kills all the other flavors. Bagels provide enough sweetness that you don't anything else.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:45 pm Been to Nederland... Interesting vibe when we were there. Sort of crusty reception from some of the locals. I like the idea of heading down 7 and would like to give the town another shot. My BIL lived out there and said they host a really funky music festival (I think?)
For sure to the bolded. Especially if you look like the typical Patagonia-clad recreationists or tourists. There's some weird cats in that town but I dig it.

The festival is probably Frozen Dead Guy Days. Can't beat coffin races and turkey bowling.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Would never have eaten ketchup with eggs before living here. Definitely need that on a breakfast sandwich.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Eggs must suck up there.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:25 pm Eggs must suck up there.
Stick to PA on you next trip north asshole
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:16 pm Would never have eaten ketchup with eggs before living here. Definitely need that on a breakfast sandwich.
Eggs need ketchup.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, does our friend Carwash have a secret double-life?

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Oh shit! Got a legit pang of fear for a second. Hopefully the "s" at the end (Welsh patronymic, maybe?) will keep me in the clear.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Driving back from Indianapolis tonight on empty country highways listening to a ballgame was a nice way to spend the evening.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

duff wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:23 pm Driving back from Indianapolis tonight on empty country highways listening to a ballgame was a nice way to spend the evening.
In the pre-satellite radio days I used to enjoy the drive back home from Oxford to NW Ohio late at night listening to A.M. radio stations and whatever baseball or college football games I could get. Could pick up stations from Chicago, St. Louis, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, etc. in addition to the Ohio, Michigan and Indiana stations.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pretty sure my outfit for 5th grade graduation was the same as what Jerloma wore to a wedding last night. I wonder if I have a photo from it somewhere in storage.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Don’t call what you’re wearing an outfit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:45 pm they host a really funky music festival (I think?)
Frozen Dead Guy Days? It's a festival based around a guy cryogenically frozen and stored in a tuff shed, so it's a bit funky, yes.

ETA: PDX beat me to it.

and Ward is the really weird town up that way. It's olde skool weird ass hippies.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

On the heels of getting rear-ended a couple weeks ago, yesterday's mail included a customer service survey from the local police department. No, seriously. Eight questions asking me to rate on a scale of 0-5 (zero for not applicable, then strongly disagree through strongly agree), then one yes/no question, followed by a comments section. The word "service-oriented" appears in the first two questions.

In our tiny town, I can't imagine there is that much interaction between police and citizens where a citizen's address is obtained, so I imagine they know who you are even if you don't complete the optional information section at the top with your name, address, and phone number despite being "randomly selected".

The whole thing makes me want to leave it blank, save for writing "what have you guys been doing to make you feel running a customer service survey is needed?" in the comment section.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:16 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:45 pm they host a really funky music festival (I think?)
Frozen Dead Guy Days? It's a festival based around a guy cryogenically frozen and stored in a tuff shed, so it's a bit funky, yes.

ETA: PDX beat me to it.

and Ward is the really weird town up that way. It's olde skool weird ass hippies.
Hit Ned’s restaurant and then the brewery. Nice little afternoon.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Write this in pencil, sancarlos: Nov 8 - Monday Night Football - Chicago at Pittsburgh

Possibly your chance to witness me snark the Bears in person.
Hope you used a pencil, as suggested, so you can erase it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, that was fast.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Saw "PrettyFlyForAWiFi" today
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:15 am Saw "PrettyFlyForAWiFi" today
That and TellMyWiFiLoveHer are my two wireless networks
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am
Those are great.

Mine is SydneyGreenstreet. Ten swampbucks if you know who he is without looking it up.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:54 pm
Those are great.

Mine is SydneyGreenstreet. Ten swampbucks if you know who he is without looking it up.
The name rang a bell, and when I looked it up I understood why!

Nice!
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Those are great.

Maltese Falcon, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:41 am
Those are great.

Maltese Falcon, right?
And Casablanca.
Noli Timere Messorem