NFL Swampcrash 2014 WEEK FOURTEEN

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: NFL Swampcrash 2014 WEEK FOURTEEN

Post by DC47 »

Gunpowder wrote:Wow, I think Yaz counts as a Jordan.
It's at least close. I'm stunned that so many were on to Kluszewski. I thought he was easily the most obscure. He's from ancient times and didn't play for a popular franchise. And people didn't go heavily for Yaz, Granderson, and Greenberg. The baseball knowledge here is deeper than I realized.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DC47 wrote:
It's at least close. I'm stunned that so many were on to Kluszewski. I thought he was easily the most obscure. He's from ancient times and didn't play for a popular franchise. And people didn't go heavily for Yaz, Granderson, and Greenberg. The baseball knowledge here is deeper than I realized.
The only possession I own that is signed by another person is a Ted Kluszewski baseball.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Reds fan, with good knowledge of the history stunned so many went there as well.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:
The only possession I own that is signed by another person is a Ted Kluszewski baseball.
How did you become such a big fan of a player who had six or seven good seasons in the early to mid 50s on mediocre Reds teams?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DC47 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:
How did you become such a big fan of a player who had six or seven good seasons in the early to mid 50s on mediocre Reds teams?
Rain Man? (Also he's a lifelong Reds fan, so there's that.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

GG SL....i'm trying to go from 2-8 to a backdoor playoff spot. upsets every week...couldve sworn i blew it with the merger miss and the hemorrage on the iowa state question. if you knew psycho and i dont get a layup kubiak question 10 im done for the year. small miracles.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Yard of Junk
Maude Lebowski

Post by Yard of Junk »

Gunpowder wrote:I would have guessed Reeves for Atlanta. Shanahan was in Denver for like 15 years.
Smith must have just passed him. I went Reeves as well. However, my love of crappy Atlanta teams did pay off. The Braves were so sad when I was a kid I had a Jeff Burroughs poster on my wall. Immediately popped into mind as a one pointer when I saw the MLB question. Bam!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DC47 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:
When I was 12 or 13, my aunt had a fundraiser auction for my cousin's baseball league. She and the other parents in the league wrote letters to teams requesting donations, and they received a lot of various prizes. One of the donations was a baseball signed by Ted Kluszewski, and for whatever reason, my adolescent self wanted that baseball. I went around the neighborhood and did some odd jobs to save money for the auction, and all told I saved up about $30, which was a large sum of money for me.

We get to the auction, and the baseball is one of the last items to be auctioned off. The auction starts, and I the bidding quickly escalates to $25. I know $30 is my cap, so I went ahead and made my final bid. Two seconds later, someone else said "$35".

I was crushed. Damn, I wanted that ball. The bidding kept going up to about $60, and the auctioneer started the countdown, saying "going once, going twice ..."

"$65." It was my dad's voice.

A few minutes and $85 later, I had that ball in my hands.

Although my dad did a lot of great things for me, he is not the warmest person in the world. I sometimes struggle to think of happy times with my dad when I was a kid, but that auction always comes to mind.

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What a touching story! I guess that baseball's value has gone up to just about infinity.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:
When I was 12 or 13, my aunt had a fundraiser auction for my cousin's baseball league. She and the other parents in the league wrote letters to teams requesting donations, and they received a lot of various prizes. One of the donations was a baseball signed by Ted Kluszewski, and for whatever reason, my adolescent self wanted that baseball. I went around the neighborhood and did some odd jobs to save money for the auction, and all told I saved up about $30, which was a large sum of money for me.

We get to the auction, and the baseball is one of the last items to be auctioned off. The auction starts, and I the bidding quickly escalates to $25. I know $30 is my cap, so I went ahead and made my final bid. Two seconds later, someone else said "$35".

I was crushed. Damn, I wanted that ball. The bidding kept going up to about $60, and the auctioneer started the countdown, saying "going once, going twice ..."

Although my dad did a lot of great things for me, he is not the warmest person in the world. I sometimes struggle to think of happy times with my dad when I was a kid, but that auction always comes to mind.

That's almost a candidate for the dusty thread.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
DC47 wrote:

More important, it helped answer a Swampcrash question.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt